Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

EVERYTHING that was wrong with INDY4....

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-16-11, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Friends!

Big Indiana Jones fan here. I've been still reading in this forum lately that people are still convinced that CRYSTAL SKULL was a DECENT film......even though it didn't compare with the original trilogy. I've compiled a list of just about EVERYTHING that went wrong in INDY 4. It's one of the worst sequels of ALL-TIME imo. Again, that's coming from a franchise where the original film was GREAT!! Hope you guys get a kick out of this list.

1. How many shots did we need of Groundhogs? None, but we got 4 or 5.

2. Using "HOUND DOG" by Elvis during opening credits. I get it Lucas....we are in the 50s now.

3. The Warehouse. What was the point of having the opening sequence take place in the warehouse from the end of RAIDERS? Just so we can have that one quick shot of the ark as Lucas winks at the camera.

4. Why is there a working tv playing Howdy Doody in that fake house with lead fridge?

5. Why is there a mannequin watering his fake front yard?

6. Nuke fridge. Need I say more?

7. Indy getting his privates scrubbed because of possible radiation exposure. Yeah Lucas, very Funny.

8. Why are there publicity stills of Henry Sr. and Willie from the other films in Indy's house?

9. Shia LaBeouf. Can someone tell Hollywood to stop matching this kid up with A-List actors? He is a tv actor AT BEST!

10. How did Mutt know Indy was at the train station? And just in time as the train was leaving.

11. Mutt's hair. Worst greaser hair since Fonzie.

12. What was with Mutt's switchblade? He never used it for anything! So why show he is handy with one? It that supposed to connect up with the sword fighting on the jeeps? Still doesn't make sense.

13. The motorcycle chase through the campus. One of the most uninspired action sequences I've ever seen! I actually went to Yale in June of '07 to watch them shoot this piece of shit.

14. Indy and Mutt at the graveyard. You had these things jumping out of trees and Indy hitting them with shovels. ZZZZZzzzzz

15. Mutt: "You're a teacher?" Indy: "Part time." Just a terrible piece of dialogue. David Koepp is one of the worst and most overrated screenwriters in Hollywood.

16. Indy and Mutt enter cave and find crystal skull. This whole scene is SO BORING and it goes on FOREVER!!! I actually forgot what they were doing here after a while.

17. Indy and Mutt reach prison where Oxley was staying. In this scene, we have to watch Mutt cry for some reason. Good Lord!

18. Cate Blanchett. Women don't make good villians...PERIOD! Especially if they are written by David Keopp. Listen to all her dialog next time. It's all cliched nonsense!

19. The scene where Indy is getting brainwashed by skull in tent with Spalko. More boring stuff.

20. Marion. She was AWSOME in the first film. Here she has NOTHING to do! The first meeting between her and Indy is written so poorly beyond belief. And watch how bad Ford is in this scene. His acting is just terrible.

21. The scene in quicksand. This scene was SO BAD for so many reasons. The snake. The dialog. Marion's confession that Mutt is Indy's son. This scene was so bad, I remember feeling embarrassed for the filmmakers. I wanted to turn my head away from the screen at this point.

22. John Hurt. All he does in this film is mumble.

23. Indy having to solve these stupid riddles/puzzles. ZZZZzzzz

24. The jungle chase. Another uninspired action sequence. I remember producer Frank Marshall saying that this scene was on par with the truck chase in RAIDERS. Is he out of his friggin mind? We get boring sword fighting, Mutt getting hit in the balls with trees and Mutt swinging from vines with monkeys. Embarrassing!

25. The waterfall sequence. We get Indy and Co. going over 3 waterfalls. Wow.....pretty exciting.

26. No one seems to mention this, but after the waterfall sequence and they all reach land, Marion is still pretending she is driving the truck by holding the steering wheel. Wtf???

27. Ants? It's bad enough we get ants this time, but CGI ants? They couldn't even give us the real thing.

28. Mac. He kept going back and forth between good and bad. Who cares?! His character was so pointless. I mean that too!

29. The ENTIRE 3rd act! All this stuff is just nonsense. Bad acting, bad CGI ect....

30. Indy getting married. Why did we need to see this? You can imply it, but don't show it.

31. John Williams. He is a GOD! But this is one of the WORST soundtracks he's ever done. But how do you compose to crap? Even his scores for THE PREQUELS were just God awful. But once again, how do you compose to crap? Try to hum a theme (besides the main theme) from this film. You can't do it..can you?

Pbishop69

Last edited by pbishop69; 02-16-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: EVERYTHING that was wrong with INDY4....

Feel better?
Old 02-16-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I want to know how he really feels.
Old 02-16-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn't find the movie the travesty others did, but overall lackluster. However, I also didn't feel the enumerate all the reasons in a totally self-serving thread either.
Old 02-16-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's better than Temple of Doom
Old 02-16-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

@Numanoid.
Old 02-16-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I enjoyed this film precisely because it was set up as a live-action cartoon right at the beginning, with Cate Blanchett's Natasha (from Rocky & Bullwinkle) impersonation (a very good one, btw). So I beg to differ with your assertion that women don't make good villains. And Indy getting bounced around in the refrigerator. That made me laugh. And a lot of the movie made me laugh. It was a comedy! What the hell's so hard to understand about that?

I have to confess, though, that Shia LaBeouf's scenes on campus blur in my head with the scenes of him on campus from TRANSFORMERS 2, so I'm still not sure that that hot alien babe from his dorm room isn't in this one also.

Plus, I was really happy to see Karen Allen again--one of my top '70s movie crushes (ANIMAL HOUSE, THE WANDERERS, etc.).

Plus, it was good to see Spielberg acknowledge the existence of aliens again. Hopefully, in my lifetime the truth will come out.
Old 02-16-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Way better. I mean, it wasn't up to Raiders or the Last Crusade standards, but I liked it for what it was.
Old 02-16-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, that's greeeeat...
Old 02-16-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No way was that movie better than Temple of Doom; seriously I thought it was an ok movie but it was nowhere near the quality that Temple was. I mean the movie barely had Indiana doing the things that the prior movies showcased the character as, like how he really didn't know much about the ruins or how the skulls would open the door; he really just stumbled along through each plot point.

I wrote what I thought should have been improved on when I first saw Indy 4, trying to make them legitimate gripes about the character and story faults:
Spoiler:
he storyline should have been explained for people who don't know about the whole Mayan Myth/Theology. Along with that, there should have been more Indy plot developements. When he goes to open the temple door, have him read some Mayan instructions that say the eyes need to line-up. Explain that the thirteen skeletons are actually different parts of the one alien. Don't theorize in passing that the Alien from Roswell came to find the missing Alien and bring back that Indiana took something away from doing research on the crash that helped him at the end. Even TOD, which gets knocks for lacking Indyisms, had more than this one.

When it came to the Mutt/Oxley angle, don't hesitate to do a flashback where Oxley explains something the Mutt that helps them along and shows why Mutt cares about Oxley.

If you can show a guy disintegrating from drinking unholy water, and a dude having his heart ripped out, you can show a guy getting picked to the bone by ants.

Actually have Mac sacrifice himself or have him die as an enemy; that bit where he just let go, what did that prove? I doubt Indiana would have kept pulling if he might have died; Mac betrayed him too many times.

The Marion angle was pretty good as far as the story went but she was a terrible part of the crew; have her "redeeming" character value be something dealing with her being a female; something like her being able to open doors/ stop booby traps because she matches the physique of the aliens. The driving/jumping on a tree idea was not it and was pretty terrible; I get the fridge but that?

Finally Spalko; an awesome character but man, they totally missed two opportunities, her death and her psychic powers. When she was reading the map with Indy and Mutt was about to attack, she should have stopped him. At the temple, have her absorb the knowledge but when she tries to use it for evil and command the crew to be her slaves, the alien destroys her. Have the Russians try to shoot the Alien but fail because of the magnetism of the Alien. The whole Russians angle was lacking a battle between mere mortals who think they have power with other-worldly powers; that was in Raiders and TLC.
Old 02-16-11, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Even TEMPLE OF DOOM at its worst, it's so much better than CRYSTAL SKULL. The mine car cash and the bridge sequence alone were better than anything CRYSTAL SKULL have to offer.

I don't mind humor in the Indiana Jones films. But when it's shoved in your face and not funny to begin with, it's painful.
Old 02-16-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They nuked the fridge with that sequel.

I blame Lucas.
Old 02-16-11, 07:21 PM
Banned

....I literally thought you were going to critque the hell out of this film..you didn't. It's more childish rant than actual critique w/ fully concluded points. Reads like you're some new member to this forum and want me to tell you what's the greatest film ever: The Shutter Island or The Shawshank Redemption. Pass. At least gmanca went about it right.
Old 02-16-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched this again last week.

I don't particularly disagree with any of the points mentioned, but for whatever reason none of them bothered me that much, and I have a blast watching this one. I still think Raiders is the best, but this one is on par with the other two in my book.
Old 02-16-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be improved? Sure. Was it terrible? No. it was just a fun serial adventure with a 50's sci-fi flavor.
Old 02-16-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

The first three movies have been watched so many times, and ingrained into my memories so well, that there was no way a fourth movie could have held up on one viewing. Multiple viewings help me to enjoy the movie for what it is, and it fits in with the first three fairly well.
Old 02-16-11, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Could it be improved? Sure. Was it terrible? No. it was just a fun serial adventure with a 50's sci-fi flavor.
This...
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
The first three movies have been watched so many times, and ingrained into my memories so well, that there was no way a fourth movie could have held up on one viewing. Multiple viewings help me to enjoy the movie for what it is, and it fits in with the first three fairly well.
and this.
Old 02-16-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

The only parts of Crystal Skull that I truly thought sucked were:
1) Shia LeBouf swinging around like Tarzan; lame and idiotic.

2) When Indy is trying to leave on the train and the filmmakers are trying really hard to play the whole "look at this worn out old man whom nobody wants anymore" card. Then having Mutt Williams show up and call him back into action thus re-invigorating his spirit!
Old 02-16-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It isn't so much a bad movie as it is disappointing. They had 20 years to come up with something, and this was it?

I was hoping this was going to be one of those RedLetterMedia reviews of the movie
Old 02-16-11, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
....I literally thought you were going to critque the hell out of this film..you didn't. It's more childish rant than actual critique w/ fully concluded points. Reads like you're some new member to this forum and want me to tell you what's the greatest film ever: The Shutter Island or The Shawshank Redemption. Pass. At least gmanca went about it right.
Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the OP's post.
Old 02-16-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I especially like 23...Indy having to solve this stupid riddles/puzzles ZZZZzzzz

Ummm...have you actually even seen an Indiana Jones movie? That's what he does in all the movies. If you want me to I could probably name like 50 puzzles that he solved in the first 3 movies. I mean that's basically the entire point of the series. Hell, the opening scene of Raiders alone has like 3 or 4 puzzles that Indy solves.
Old 02-16-11, 10:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

20. Marion. She was AWSOME in the first film. Here she has NOTHING to do! The first meeting between her and Indy is written so poorly beyond belief. And watch how bad Ford is in this scene. His acting is just terrible.
that's not new news in the slightest.
Old 02-16-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In brief...

Originally Posted by pbishop69 View Post
CRYSTAL
SKULL
DECENT
INDY
ALL-TIME
GREAT!!
"HOUND DOG"
RAIDERS?
AT BEST!
ZZZZZzzzzz
SO BORING
FOREVER!!!
...PERIOD!
AWSOME
NOTHING
SO BAD
ZZZZzzzz
RAIDERS
ENTIRE
GOD!
WORST

Pbishop69
Old 02-17-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i like movies
Old 02-17-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like turtles

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.