Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

True Grit Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

True Grit Reviews Thread

Old 01-05-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: True Grit Reviews Thread

Settle down, just a little sarcastic humor. I'm sure with the star power involved she needed to take a lower billing to begin with. A-listers are not going to take second and third billing to an unknown with her first job. Although I still think she was a lead and not a support.
Old 01-05-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Settle down, just a little sarcastic humor. I'm sure with the star power involved she needed to take a lower billing to begin with. A-listers are not going to take second and third billing to an unknown with her first job. Although I still think she was a lead and not a support.
I agree with you about her being a lead in the film, but how she is defined for an awards campaign doesn't have anything to do with how much she gets paid, and that is what your earlier post was all about.
Old 01-05-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the movie today and enjoyed it. Them Cowboy accents were a bit tough to understand but I thought the girl and Jeff Bridges were great.
Old 01-06-11, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grrr View Post
The Coen bros' job wasn't to adapt the book blow-for-blow, but to create a competent film. In some respects, they succeeded. In some, they failed.
It's understandable that sometimes film makers need to make changes when adapting from other sources, especially when there are parts that can be hard to translate to film (viewpoints shifting between characters, stream-of-consciousness 'narration', length, extraneous characters, etc.). And it's understandable that even 'classics' can contain some clunky passages or excessive background material not necessary to the plot (all of the educational 'whaling' chapters in Moby Dick come to mind).

However, True Grit is a slim little novel(ette) that is lean & mean. It has stood the test of time, and its main attraction to readers seems to be the characterization & the dialogue (at least, that's what appealed to me most).

When a work is extremely popular and well-loved (at least one of the Coens rhapsodized about how much the book meant to him as a young man, how he read it to his kids, etc.), why would a filmmaker feel the need to mess with what already works? Film and literature are two different media...when I see a film adaptation, I WANT the filmmakers to be adapt the work as closely as possible. I don't need someone trying to be "artsy" or "current" or to think they know better than the author & the audience who made the original work a success. I totally disagree with those who insist that, unless a filmmaker has something 'original' to add to a work, there's no reason to film an adaptation

And I hate it when a filmmaker makes changes to suit his own sensibilities or those of the audience (don't like the downbeat ending of The Scarlet Letter? How about ending with an Indian massacre & having the illicit lovers make good their escape...thus eviscerating the plot). A good example is "Last of the Mohicans" (Mann version)...changing the love story of Cora & Uncas to Cora & Natty (Hawkeye) robbed the story of much of its sublime tragic ending. I wish Mann would have trusted the source material enough to make a "competent" film without messing with a great love story that was far ahead of its time to make a "safe" version for date night.

In other words, a straightforward adaptation of True Grit (if well-filmed & acted) should be "competent", to say the least (unless one didn't like the book, in which case why make the movie?).
Old 01-06-11, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I just noticed that the Golden Globes snubbed this film in every category.
They should have loved it...most awards shows love any role that involves boozing or drug addiction.

Which is sort of funny, because a lot of actors could simply "play themselves" for those roles.
Old 01-06-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Film and literature are two different media...when I see a film adaptation, I WANT the filmmakers to be adapt the work as closely as possible. I don't need someone trying to be "artsy" or "current" or to think they know better than the author & the audience who made the original work a success. I totally disagree with those who insist that, unless a filmmaker has something 'original' to add to a work, there's no reason to film an adaptation
I don't see an inherent problem one way or the other. Absolute fidelity to source material can be great, or it can be lifeless. Deviation can likewise yield varying results. Offhand, some adaptations I thought improved upon their literary source material:

The Bridge on the River Kwai
Christmas with the Kranks
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Tailor of Panama is an example where the two different versions delve into different material. Le Carre's novel showcases a lot more of Louisa (Jamie Lee Curtis in the movie), whereas the novel emphasizes Mickey and Marta. Their backstory is still present in the novel, but it wasn't as prominent.

I could go on and I'm sure others have their own examples handy, but my point is that I reject the notion that there is a corollary between fidelity to source material and quality of an adaptation.
Old 01-18-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

The wife and I finally caught a matinee this afternoon. I was worried she wouldn't like it, as she only went because of Matt Damon, but it turns out she really enjoyed it.

I thought it was pretty damn good. **** out of five.

Hallie Steinfeld was amazing.
Old 01-19-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent, could be my favorite Coen Brothers film. Jeff Bridges is having a hell of a career resurgence.

The little girl was terrific, especially in the horse trading scene. I can easily see her nominated for an Oscar.

Bridges too, although he sounded a lot like The Old Man from Pawn Stars.

Damon and the other actors did fine jobs as well, but I see this as a two person show.

Movie line I've now been using quite a bit:
Spoiler:
"Keep your seat, trash."

Old 01-22-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I was mostly underwhelmed by it. Maybe my expectations were so high but the film didn't really resonate with me. The middle of the film is a bit slow and my mind started to wander. But the performances are great!
Old 02-12-11, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 900 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikSilver View Post
Finally saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I was mostly underwhelmed by it. Maybe my expectations were so high but the film didn't really resonate with me. The middle of the film is a bit slow and my mind started to wander. But the performances are great!

Agree 100%
Old 03-07-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 674 Likes on 425 Posts

Also pretty underwhelmed, possibly due to unrealistic expectations going in. While Hailee Steinfeld gave a solid performance indeed, especially for her age, it is pretty unfair that even garnered an Oscar nomination, let alone numerous calls for her to win.
Old 03-07-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Also pretty underwhelmed, possibly due to unrealistic expectations going in. While Hailee Steinfeld gave a solid performance indeed, especially for her age, it is pretty unfair that even garnered an Oscar nomination, let alone numerous calls for her to win.
I think "unfair" is a little strong. Steinfeld's performance guided the entire movie; pretty much everyone reacted to her, rather than the other way around. The only other nominee in her field that I saw was Helena Bonham Carter in The King's Speech. She had a nice presence in the film, but for my money any measuring stick that allowed for her to be nominated also allowed for Steinfeld.
Old 03-08-11, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 674 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I think "unfair" is a little strong. Steinfeld's performance guided the entire movie; pretty much everyone reacted to her, rather than the other way around.
That had far more to do with the script, specifically her dialogue, than her performance. The film depended on it. It was good, quite good in fact for a child, but quite questionable indeed as one of the five best supporting performances of the year. I can think of several performances by a child in the last 20 years or so that were as good or better, many of which that were not even nominated.
Old 03-08-11, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
That had far more to do with the script, specifically her dialogue, than her performance. The film depended on it.
You'd be hard pressed to find another forum member as quick to champion writers, but even I have to say that it's one thing to write a character and another thing to actually deliver the performance.

It was good, quite good in fact for a child, but quite questionable indeed as one of the five best supporting performances of the year. I can think of several performances by a child in the last 20 years or so that were as good or better, many of which that were not even nominated.
Calling it a good performance "for a child" is rather condescending, and it's wholly unfair to rank her against previous performances. I wouldn't say True Grit is the best Western of the last 20 years, but what's that got to do with whether or not it was well-made or enjoyable? I think we get too caught up in placing movies in a continuum sometimes, and forget to simply appreciate them for what they are, rather than penalize them for what they aren't.
Old 06-10-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Damn, I was not expecting this flick to be as excellent as it was......f'n loved it.
Old 06-10-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it again last night and enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I saw it.
Old 06-10-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No poll? What the H?(that's what we decided to go with).

Good film. Hard to find a flaw with anything.

It will never approach the greatness of the original.
Old 06-10-11, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
No poll? What the H?(that's what we decided to go with).

Good film. Hard to find a flaw with anything.

It will never approach the greatness of the original.
*sigh* Uhm...yeah..I dunno. Honestly...This one was a better movie. If there could be anything I could criticize off the top of my head from the original..was the girl and that guy playing Labeof...horrible acting. Wayne was essentially playing Wayne..not that that's bad..but he didn't add much to someone who was a somewhat a slob. Bridges and the girl...solid work.
Old 06-11-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Damn, I was not expecting this flick to be as excellent as it was......f'n loved it.

I think it took most people by surprise despite it being the Coens.
Old 06-12-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I too saw this over the weekend, and found it really good. Definitely a keeper.
Old 06-12-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched this last night on blu. Great performances, but was missing something. Barry Pepper was fantastic, and hardly recognizable, as the villain, but seriously underused. But the actress they picked for 40 year-old Mattie was a poor choice since she looked nothing like young Mattie, particularly her nose. Took me right out of the film.

I rated it "Liked It" on Netflix (three out of five stars). Was expecting it to be much better due to all the hype. Good, but I have no desire to watch it again.
Old 06-16-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mostly agree with Numanoid. I'd watch the film again, but it does meander quite a bit during the middle third. At least Deakins' cinematography was so fucking gorgeous I could have stared at b-roll footage all day. Bridges was excellent, and Damon was much better than I expected.

I really liked how Chaney was this huge, brooding presence throughout the film, then once we finally catch up with him and the gang we learn he's nothing more than a cog in the wheel; he's pathetic. And Brolin was great, as was Pepper. I loved it when Halie told him to "stand up, Mr. Chaney!". I felt it could have done without the narration of the flash-forward denouement, but overall I thought it was a solid flick.
Old 06-16-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
But the actress they picked for 40 year-old Mattie was a poor choice since she looked nothing like young Mattie, particularly her nose. Took me right out of the film.
Yeah, but that happens at the very end of the movie, so if you absolutely have to be taken out of the movie that seems as ideal a point as any. I don't see how it would affect your overall enjoyment of it. It's not like the Coen Bros.' previous film, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, where they take you out of the movie with a good 30-40 minutes to go.
Old 06-16-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost forgot to mention, I got excited when I heard J.K. Simmons' voice... but then he never materialized on screen.
Old 06-17-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw it recently, and I just loved the authentic flavor of the film especially the dirty grungy look of all the characters. The scene where they cut down the corpse was frightening realistic. I wouldn't be too surprised if that was a real corpse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.