Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

True Grit Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

True Grit Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
True Grit Reviews Thread

Since the Fockers got one, I figure something like this needs one as well. Also, I mean the remake, not the original for those that might want to be cute and comment on Glen Campbell and the Duke.

Currently 97% at Rottentomatoes as of this posting. Hoping to see it soon , maybe tonight.

My only request for the reviews is that you keep them mindful and respectful of other people's opinions. Remember, not everyone worships the ground upon which the Coen Bros. tread. Furthermore, please refrain from using obscenity/profanity in the reviews. I have always seen that as unneccesary if you disliked the movie. Just state it, and leave it be without vulgarity. Thanks!
Old 12-22-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: True Grit Reviews Thread

This is how you start a reviews thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10376380-post1.html
Old 12-22-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, the keen dialogue in "True Grit" was delievered quite well, even if half of it was spit out by a precocious 14-year, Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), whose father is killed by Tom Chaney and she wants justice against the backdrop of the wild wild west. Mattie's determination to avenge her father's death leads her to Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges), a federal marshall with his own storied history on the manhunt trail, and LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) who is a Texas Ranger on the same trail for a different murder.

The Coen Brothers do a fine job with the script, and directing this film filled with entertaining performances from the main 3 characters in the film. Roger Deakins works his cinematography magic once again, albeit in a more subtle manner. While it probably won't win them Oscars this go-around, it's a worthy addition to the genre of the Cowboy Westerns. Could Jeff Bridges get another Best Actor Oscar nomination for this role, it remains to be seen, but he got a lot of mileage out of the role/script.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
Old 12-22-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Excellent film. The Coens are the best at casting their films. Even the girl won me over in the end.
Old 12-22-10, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another winner from the Coens. Bridges was tremendous in a role that was a really wonderful departure for him. Damon was also very good, but man did Hailee Steinfeld blow me away. What an incredible performance. If she isn't nominated for best supporting actress then the Academy is blind.

It was nice to see the Coens do a genuine western after they updated the genre with No Country For Old Men. I totally bought into it and the world they set up.
Old 12-22-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. I have to say, the Coens know how to capture the look and feel of an old time Western. The performances were top notch, and the cinematography was great. They stayed pretty true to the book for the most part, but still found time to instill bits of their quirkiness. The only weakness I saw (though not for me) was one really had to have A) read the book, B) seen the original, and C) be a fan of the old style Western to get the full enjoyment out of this. Some of the characters , like the man who made animal noises, were in the book and original, but without prior knowledge would just seem goofy. In essence, this is a movie made for film buffs more than anything else. I give it 3.5 stars or a grade of A-.

Bridges continues to amaze me. This character is kind of that Bad Blake from Crazy Heart would have been had he lived in this era, and in all likelihood sang about in his day. I couldn't help but get a Dude vibe whenever Rooster rolled one of his cigarettes.
Old 12-23-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The tacked-on ending felt forced and fake. Almost like they ran out of money and ideas and just said "the hell with this crap".

Other than that, it was a kick-ass, smartly written and directed movie.
Old 12-23-10, 12:27 AM
Banned by request

Isn't that in the original book? I thought it was a fitting coda.
Old 12-23-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
but man did Hailee Steinfeld blow me away. What an incredible performance. If she isn't nominated for best supporting actress then the Academy is blind.
Old 12-23-10, 01:09 AM
Banned by request

I'm willing to bet the Academy will consider her supporting. And she has a better chance of winning that category. Natalie Portman or Annette Bening will take best actress.
Old 12-23-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Loved it - that's all. And that ending was in the book, and was just fine.

And I feel that, technically, Steinfeld was the lead, as she had more lines and screentime than anyone else in the cast, including Bridges.
Old 12-23-10, 01:23 AM
Banned by request

I have no problem accepting her as the lead, I'm just willing to bet the Academy won't nominate it that way.

Then again, anyone with a screener, what is she listed under consideration for?
Old 12-23-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that in the original book?
Yes it is.

The ending felt a bit jarring but I agree with Suprmallet about it being a fitting coda.

It was a very faithful adaptation of the original book but I love what the Coens added to the material. The Bear-Man, the hanging man and the kicking of the Indian children were excellent additions.

Everyone was fantastic in their roles. Bridges and Steinfeld carried the movie very well and both put forward stellar performances. Damon played the Texan very well and Barry Pepper was outstanding in his small part. I love what they did with the Chaney character and how Brolin pulled it off. It was also cool to hear J.K. Simmons as lawyer Daggett.

Definitely another home-run for the Coens.
Old 12-23-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then again, anyone with a screener, what is she listed under consideration for?
Paramount is pushing her as supporting.
Old 12-23-10, 11:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Furthermore, please refrain from using obscenity/profanity in the reviews. I have always seen that as unneccesary if you disliked the movie. Just state it, and leave it be without vulgarity. Thanks!

I thought it was fucking awesome.

The humor wasn't forced, and Bridges was perfect.
Old 12-23-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck yeah!
Old 12-23-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great motherfucking movie. Can't wait to see this bitch again.
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

holy shit this was good

beautiful movie
Old 12-23-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just skimming what everyone is saying is getting me excited. Will see it this Sunday or next week for sure.
Old 12-23-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The movie made my cock feel bigger than it actually is. And it's already a huge cock. It was that good.
Old 12-23-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am getting serious fucking wood thinking of seeing this movie. Might have to watch some Deadwood later just to avoid a nocturnal emission.
Old 12-23-10, 01:20 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The movie made my cock feel bigger than it actually is. And it's already a huge cock. It was that good.
That's true, Dave, but aren't you a little embarrassed about its shape?
Old 12-23-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah.
Old 12-23-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Oh, the keen dialogue in "True Grit" was delievered quite well, even if half of it was spit out by a precocious 14-year, Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), whose father is killed by Tom Chaney and she wants justice against the backdrop of the wild wild west. Mattie's determination to avenge her father's death leads her to Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges), a federal marshall with his own storied history on the manhunt trail, and LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) who is a Texas Ranger on the same trail for a different murder.

The Coen Brothers do a fine job with the script, and directing this film filled with entertaining performances from the main 3 characters in the film. Roger Deakins works his cinematography magic once again, albeit in a more subtle manner. While it probably won't win them Oscars this go-around, it's a worthy addition to the genre of the Cowboy Westerns. Could Jeff Bridges get another Best Actor Oscar nomination for this role, it remains to be seen, but he got a lot of mileage out of the role/script.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
WHOAH! I've never seen you give a movie a higher than B- score. This must be good.
Old 12-23-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
It made mine grow to the size of a fucking school bus!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.