Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

True Grit Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

True Grit Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: True Grit Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I'm not saying its a bad movie, just didn't work for me. I thought No Country was miles better. Glad everyone else liked it I guess.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen No Country about five times, and I doubt I'll ever watch True Grit again.

Had some good performances, but I don't get all the praise for this film.

I think if the directors for this weren't listed as "The Coen Bros." then it wouldn't get nearly the acclaim that it is.

Once more, it wasn't a lousy movie, but I certainly didn't think it was anything special.
Old 12-31-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I couldn't agree more. I've seen No Country about five times, and I doubt I'll ever watch True Grit again.

Had some good performances, but I don't get all the praise for this film.

I think if the directors for this weren't listed as "The Coen Bros." then it wouldn't get nearly the acclaim that it is.

Once more, it wasn't a lousy movie, but I certainly didn't think it was anything special.
So far my remarks have largely concentrated on my disappointment regarding Chaney, Tom Pepper, et al as underwhelming villains. It seems only fair that I should offer some observations about what I did admire and enjoy.

The pace was taut, the dialog was witty and sharp (though I suspect largely lifted verbatim from the source material) and above all Hailee Steinfeld was flat-out great as Mattie Ross. No offense to either Abigail Breslin or Dakota Fanning, both of whom have impressed me for a while now, but it was nice to see a young actress other than either of them in such a prominent role.

Roger Deakins's cinematography did a great job capturing the gorgeous landscapes. Moreover, there were an awful lot of scenes that were largely just exposition between fairly static people, but felt kinetic because of the way they were shot.

I'm not sure about Carter Burwell's score. On the one hand, I appreciate that he didn't go for a riff on Morricone or anything garish. On the other hand, I scarcely noticed the music. I know there's a school of thought that a score shouldn't draw attention to itself and while I appreciate that perspective, I'm someone who actively listens for the music in a movie.
Old 12-31-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
So far my remarks have largely concentrated on my disappointment regarding Chaney, Tom Pepper, et al as underwhelming villains. It seems only fair that I should offer some observations about what I did admire and enjoy.

The pace was taut, the dialog was witty and sharp (though I suspect largely lifted verbatim from the source material) and above all Hailee Steinfeld was flat-out great as Mattie Ross. No offense to either Abigail Breslin or Dakota Fanning, both of whom have impressed me for a while now, but it was nice to see a young actress other than either of them in such a prominent role.

Roger Deakins's cinematography did a great job capturing the gorgeous landscapes. Moreover, there were an awful lot of scenes that were largely just exposition between fairly static people, but felt kinetic because of the way they were shot.

I'm not sure about Carter Burwell's score. On the one hand, I appreciate that he didn't go for a riff on Morricone or anything garish. On the other hand, I scarcely noticed the music. I know there's a school of thought that a score shouldn't draw attention to itself and while I appreciate that perspective, I'm someone who actively listens for the music in a movie.

Your thoughts on the lack of meaningful bad guys are correct, IMO. They were utterly forgettable.
Old 12-31-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted to add to my comments about Burwell's score that I've just read it was ineligible for the Oscars because it included too much previously composed material. There were some passages taken from 19th Century compositions, added to help authenticate the film's setting. Tough break for Burwell, but I'm sure the check cleared just the same.
Old 12-31-10, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Great movie but I agree the villains were a bit underdeveloped. I haven't seen the original in years but I remember Bruce Dern who was one of the all time great bad guys was really menacing in that movie. You just didn't get that feeling in this one
Well, it couldn't have been that memorable -- Bruce Dern wasn't in the original.
Old 12-31-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, it couldn't have been that memorable -- Bruce Dern wasn't in the original.
Yes, but the mere fact that he could have been made those bad guys badderer Cowboys.
Old 12-31-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shit you're right I was confusing it with The Cowboys. I guess the only thing I remember then was John Wayne riding the horse with the reins in his mouth firing off a couple winchesters. It was a LONG time ago as I said. Also Bruce Dern was generally the bad guy in everything that had a bad guy.
Old 12-31-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they were meant to be underwhelming bad guys, the "legend" of them was what was menacing, but in reality, they weren't all that "bad"... Thats my take on it. Loved the film, definitely in my top 5 and maybe my fav of the year.
Old 01-01-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think they were meant to be underwhelming bad guys, the "legend" of them was what was menacing, but in reality, they weren't all that "bad"... Thats my take on it. Loved the film, definitely in my top 5 and maybe my fav of the year.
I don't mind that they were, in reality, fairly civil and cordial dudes. If anything, that's the most redeeming aspect of them as characters because that's at least something different. The problem for me is that they were peripheral at best to the story, outside of the fact that the story is predicated on searching for Tom Chaney. Imagine, if you will, Raiders of the Lost Ark without the Nazis and that's about my take on True Grit.
Old 01-01-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

"True Grit" is now my 3rd favorite Coen Bros movie behind "Fargo" and "Raising Arizona" (fav).
Old 01-01-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
That was my take as well. Tom Cheney was as Mattie said: a coward. He wasn't some ultimate bad ass like Anton Chigurh or Eddie Dane as much as a guy who could never get his act together due to drinking. The only true threat was Lucky Ned Pepper, and when it all boiled down he was just an outlaw making his way the best he knew. Notice that he was about as cordial to Mattie as he could be given the circumstance, and he also forbade Cheney or anyone to really harm her.
Old 01-01-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That was my take as well. Tom Cheney was as Mattie said: a coward. He wasn't some ultimate bad ass like Anton Chigurh or Eddie Dane as much as a guy who could never get his act together due to drinking. The only true threat was Lucky Ned Pepper, and when it all boiled down he was just an outlaw making his way the best he knew. Notice that he was about as cordial to Mattie as he could be given the circumstance, and he also forbade Cheney or anyone to really harm her.
I'm reminded of Doctor No, who displayed an even more pronounced set of manners, but was still imposing within the film (and he had even less screen time). I think it's a mistake to conflate their politeness with character depth.
Old 01-01-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Saw it this morning. Just a completely entertaining film from start to finish.

Bridges, as expected was outstanding, but damn that Hailee Steinfeld was impressive.

EDIT:
HA! I just went back to read some of the other posts and cracked up that mine is almost word-for-word with post #81

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-01-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw this on Christmas Day, and enjoyed it very much. My opinion falls in line with some of the criticisms posted here, namely:

I thought the villains were underdeveloped as well - the climax sneaked up on me, and there they were, Ned and Chaney, and moments later,all was resolved. I suppose if the film was all about the pursuit, then it's okay. But I found myself wanting to see more of the bad guys;

As a literary adaptation, I felt it came up a little short compared to No Country for Old Men, admittedly a very high standard;

I thought the score was a little on the nose - it sounded like a composer imitating Carter Burwell.

Also, I must admit to perhaps having too high expectations; after No Country and A Serious Man, I was ready for another masterpiece. True Grit is a solid piece of entertainment and I'm sure I'll enjoy it the second time around, but it didn't stick with me like the previous 2 films.
Old 01-01-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
I saw this on Christmas Day, and enjoyed it very much. My opinion falls in line with some of the criticisms posted here, namely:

I thought the villains were underdeveloped as well - the climax sneaked up on me, and there they were, Ned and Chaney, and moments later,all was resolved. I suppose if the film was all about the pursuit, then it's okay. But I found myself wanting to see more of the bad guys;
FWIW, the villains were presented as much in this one as they were in the book and the original movie.
Old 01-01-11, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a matinee and wanted to post my first impressions before I reflected on the themes or performances for a bit.

First, I look forward to seeing this on DVD with subtitles, as I missed ~10% of Cogburn's dialogue. Aside from that (or maybe in part because of it) Bridges was great, as always, and the Coens gave him a nice assist--every time Rooster seemed as though he might veer too far into camp, there would come a scene where he would show his mettle. The use of closeups was particularly effective; I'm drawing a blank as to other Coens movies where there were as many Demme-style uber-cus where the actor was staring directly into the lens.

The scene in which Mattie swims the river is probably my favorite of any 2010 film. Beautifully done, pitch perfect, and the ideal summary of her character. Steinfeld was given a great part, and she did the most with it--I'd love to see her capture an Oscar.

I don't have a problem with the villains or their lack of screen time. As a couple posters have already pointed out, the villains aren't meant to be particularly evil men, but more along the line of ne'er-do-wells who went down the wrong path a long time ago. Not every story has to have an apocalyptic bad-ass like Chigurh, and in this case the absence of a real villain helped to establish a lived-in feel to Mattie's hunt. She was after a screw-up who murdered a man after he'd had too much whiskey.

All that said, the tone of the movie was off, as I felt myself careening back and forth from bizarre comedy (the hanged man, the arrival of the ghoulish bear-man/apothecary, Damon's unabashed mugging for the camera) to a strong character piece. And the lack of contractions as well as the erudition of the dialogue was distracting to the point of irritation; it reminded me of the Star Trek TNG episodes where Data was sent back to 19th-century America to hang out with Mark Twain. Jarring, to say the least.

Overall, True Grit was the best and the worst of the Coens--wonderful storytelling, a few rousing moments, but far too much poorly timed, smug humor that did nothing but distract from the drama that was the core of the film. Still worth a recommendation, but I can't help but think that there was a missed opportunity here.
Old 01-01-11, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
Just got back from a matinee and wanted to post my first impressions before I reflected on the themes or performances for a bit.

First, I look forward to seeing this on DVD with subtitles, as I missed ~10% of Cogburn's dialogue. Aside from that (or maybe in part because of it) Bridges was great, as always, and the Coens gave him a nice assist--every time Rooster seemed as though he might veer too far into camp, there would come a scene where he would show his mettle. The use of closeups was particularly effective; I'm drawing a blank as to other Coens movies where there were as many Demme-style uber-cus where the actor was staring directly into the lens.

The scene in which Mattie swims the river is probably my favorite of any 2010 film. Beautifully done, pitch perfect, and the ideal summary of her character. Steinfeld was given a great part, and she did the most with it--I'd love to see her capture an Oscar.

I don't have a problem with the villains or their lack of screen time. As a couple posters have already pointed out, the villains aren't meant to be particularly evil men, but more along the line of ne'er-do-wells who went down the wrong path a long time ago. Not every story has to have an apocalyptic bad-ass like Chigurh, and in this case the absence of a real villain helped to establish a lived-in feel to Mattie's hunt. She was after a screw-up who murdered a man after he'd had too much whiskey.

All that said, the tone of the movie was off, as I felt myself careening back and forth from bizarre comedy (the hanged man, the arrival of the ghoulish bear-man/apothecary, Damon's unabashed mugging for the camera) to a strong character piece. And the lack of contractions as well as the erudition of the dialogue was distracting to the point of irritation; it reminded me of the Star Trek TNG episodes where Data was sent back to 19th-century America to hang out with Mark Twain. Jarring, to say the least.

Overall, True Grit was the best and the worst of the Coens--wonderful storytelling, a few rousing moments, but far too much poorly timed, smug humor that did nothing but distract from the drama that was the core of the film. Still worth a recommendation, but I can't help but think that there was a missed opportunity here.
well what kind of humor do you think you'd "realistically" get from old school Presbyterian 14 yr. old girl, a Texan w/ an air of his career and homestead w/ a drunken fat Marshall w/ a sarcastic and blunt nature? Seemed fine to me. Seemed to be the only way it could have happened. And it was in the book and it felt like the book.
Old 01-01-11, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well what kind of humor do you think you'd "realistically" get from old school Presbyterian 14 yr. old girl, a Texan w/ an air of his career and homestead w/ a drunken fat Marshall w/ a sarcastic and blunt nature? Seemed fine to me. Seemed to be the only way it could have happened. And it was in the book and it felt like the book.
Why do you assume that realism (however you attempt to define that word) is the only alternative to the goofiness that popped up so often in TG?

The Coen bros' job wasn't to adapt the book blow-for-blow, but to create a competent film. In some respects, they succeeded. In some, they failed.
Old 01-05-11, 12:00 PM

I just noticed that the Golden Globes snubbed this film in every category.
Old 01-05-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just noticed that the Golden Globes snubbed this film in every category.
I was at first incensed that Deakins's cinematography was snubbed, but then I discovered that the Golden Globes don't have a cinematography category. Of the cast, I thought Hailee Steinfeld's performance was solid and worthy of recognition. The problem is it's hard to consider her a supporting actress since she carries the entire story. Here are the five leading actresses who earned nominations:

Halle Berry, Frankie and Alice
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

My take on those five:

Berry - I am entirely unfamiliar with this movie
Kidman - poignant subject material and I'm told she handles it very well
Lawrence - haven't seen it, but gather most of what has been said of Steinfeld has been said of Lawrence
Portman - this was a given
Williams - even if no one liked her performance, I expected the industry to support the film given its flap with the MPAA; as it is, I'm told she's great in it and deserves to be here

It looks to me as though Lawrence snagged Steinfeld's "spot" in the nominations list. Being a Sundance selection didn't hurt, I'm sure. Tough breaks for Steinfeld.
Old 01-05-11, 12:20 PM

I'm told that Steinfeld is campaigning for supporting actress for the Oscars, which is understandable given her billing...but really she's not only the lead, but gives the best performance in the film (a film filled to the brim with great performances).
Old 01-05-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm told that Steinfeld is campaigning for supporting actress for the Oscars, which is understandable given her billing...but really she's not only the lead, but gives the best performance in the film (a film filled to the brim with great performances).
Maybe she likes her chances better in the "supporting" field, but I agree that she's clearly the lead in True Grit.
Old 01-05-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, we're going to call you a supporting actress so we can pay you less but you'll have more lines than anyone in the movie. We really likes how you held your own on your first film working along some well known veterans. Here's 10G's now shut up.
Old 01-05-11, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see it less as "exploit the little girl" and more as she'll be more likely to win in the supporting category.
Old 01-05-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,109 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Hi, we're going to call you a supporting actress so we can pay you less but you'll have more lines than anyone in the movie. We really likes how you held your own on your first film working along some well known veterans. Here's 10G's now shut up.
Hi, none of that makes any sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.