Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 01:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

no, it's a bird.
Old 12-11-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Love the new trailer I hope it's loaded with action.
Old 12-11-12, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I liked all of that trailer. Just what Superman needed. To be different from what we know of him and be relevant to the modern world w/ it's reactions.
Old 12-11-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
We have no context to which that tone is for.
I don't need more context. Clark saved her son's life, and for whatever reason, she wants to expose him (his powers) as a result. Not something I would do.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's the circumstances of how he saved her son's life. Yeah, the kid is alive, now we can focus on what a freak Clark is.
Yes, because that is how we should reward someone who (for all we know) risked his life to save another.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah if someone saved my son's life but did it while picking up an entire school bus, as appreciative as I would be initially i'd be freaked out too.
Sure, I'd want to understand how he did it, but not why. The undertone I get from that line is "why did he do it?"

Originally Posted by Alternative3
She witnessed Clark doing something superhuman. Sounds like Pa Kent wants Clark to keep is powers a secret at all costs. I think that is the context in which she is talking, I am assuming that Clark denied using his powers, she saw it, maybe people thinks she's nuts and she is getting upset over that and not any hatred or prejudice for Clark.
Maybe, but if that is the case, the trailer is being deliberately manipulative to make viewers assume that it is part of something else (the "people are against Superman" angle that is apparent in the later sequence of him in chains).
Old 12-11-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 917 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
We just finished ten seasons of it on Smallville.
Smallville was it's own thing though, and on the WB it's not like it was drawing Walking Dead numbers. For the most part on film, the majority of the population hasn't seen a Superman origin story since '78. 35 years is a long time.

I'm not saying I want an origin tale, just that if any superhero was granted any leeway in going back to the well, it's Supes.
Old 12-11-12, 02:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

With the beard he looks like Rafi on The League.
Old 12-11-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts

It looks like a big chunk of this film is going to be about Superman not wanting to show his powers/people being frightened of Superman because of his powers. That's been addressed in the comics a lot, but it's nice to see that's the slant they're taking in the movie, which is a very "realistic" approach. Let's face it...we see a guy flying around with superhuman strength, we're more likely to think "dangerous" as opposed to "savior."
Old 12-11-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superman Returns barely reached the $200 million mark. For the sake of Justice League and future Superman movies, this film really needs to be the mega hit that WB hoped Returns would be. I'm thinking something like, at the very least, $300-$350 million in the US. IMDB has an estimated budget of $225 million.

It opens in mid June and there doesn't seem to be any serious threats to its box office success for the rest of the month and even into July. Wolverine opens late July. Nothing like when Dead Man's Chest opened right after Returns.
Old 12-11-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Criminy. The trailer is much too self-important and somber. Most of the previews for the Marvel movies are fun and novel; this one looks like a funeral is about to take place.

We'll see. I do not have faith in Zack Snyder.
Old 12-11-12, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't need more context. Clark saved her son's life, and for whatever reason, she wants to expose him (his powers) as a result. Not something I would do.

Yes, because that is how we should reward someone who (for all we know) risked his life to save another.

Sure, I'd want to understand how he did it, but not why. The undertone I get from that line is "why did he do it?"

Maybe, but if that is the case, the trailer is being deliberately manipulative to make viewers assume that it is part of something else (the "people are against Superman" angle that is apparent in the later sequence of him in chains).
You're taking an interesting view on this.

We know the tone they're going w/ this. A concept of a entity like Supes existing in the real world.

As said before, Clark saved someone. Great. The problem w/ that is that he saved them in a manner that shouldn't have even been possible. Stuff like that doesn't happen. It isn't even fathomable in the way we know things work. It's fear of the unknown, at least it seems that way when it's coupled with Pa Kent's moment in there. It's not the "why did he save the kid?" but, "how is it possible that he could do it?" I'm not sure it is that she wants to expose him but wants an understanding as to how. A bearing or grounding for that realization to exist. Which is what most people would want knowing that it's there and to have to make sense of it.

It's not the people against Superman exactly. It's humanity being cautious against a being who is able to do things that no man can do. He has surpassed the limits of amazement to the point that it terrifies. Not in what he does but as an existence. They're going w/ the idea of how does the real world accept something like that? Unlike in the comics and other medias have done...those aren't exactly the most realistic of reactions. We know how governments react and operate. We know how people react. People would want to know anything and everything about it. How can he exist? Is he human? Where is he from? So on and so forth...

Also he's in cuffs. Not chains.
Old 12-11-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Let's face it...we see a guy flying around with superhuman strength, we're more likely to think "dangerous" as opposed to "savior."
Maybe you are, but I would rather judge him on what he does, rather than some knee-jerk prejudice or blind fear.
Old 12-11-12, 04:01 PM
Banned

Judging him on what he does is fine but what's more important is how the fuck can he do that?
Old 12-11-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not the people against Superman exactly. It's humanity being cautious against a being who is able to do things that no man can do. He has surpassed the limits of amazement to the point that it terrifies. Not in what he does but as an existence. They're going w/ the idea of how does the real world accept something like that? Unlike in the comics and other medias have done...those aren't exactly the most realistic of reactions. We know how governments react and operate. We know how people react. People would want to know anything and everything about it. How can he exist? Is he human? Where is he from? So on and so forth...
If that is the tone they are trying to set, it isn't anything new. It was done before - and far better - in The Day The Earth Stood Still (the 1951 classic, not the lame remake). And while that is one of my all-time favorite films, it isn't really what I want in a Superman movie. I want adventure, heroics, and villains, not some somber, heavy-handed message film about the "real world".

Also he's in cuffs. Not chains.
Point taken. Although, would it really matter to Supes what it was? Also, in the context of the film, do the "authorities" really think those cuffs could possibly stop him if he chose to escape?
Old 12-11-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Judging him on what he does is fine but what's more important is how the fuck can he do that?
Of course, but for me that in and of itself wouldn't cause fear. Curiosity, wonder, and probably more than a bit of envy (how come I can't fly like that type of thing), but not fear.
Old 12-11-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Liking the trailer overall, but stupid sound on the speakers conked out. Will have to watch it at home.

Interesting to see Terrence Malick's take on Superman.....
Old 12-11-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

i'm thinking he's allowed to have himself put in handcuffs to show everyone he isn't a threat to them

also wondering how they are gonna deal with his real identity in this
Old 12-11-12, 04:32 PM
Banned

If that is the tone they are trying to set, it isn't anything new. It was done before - and far better - in The Day The Earth Stood Still (the 1951 classic, not the lame remake). And while that is one of my all-time favorite films, it isn't really what I want in a Superman movie. I want adventure, heroics, and villains, not some somber, heavy-handed message film about the "real world".

Point taken. Although, would it really matter to Supes what it was? Also, in the context of the film, do the "authorities" really think those cuffs could possibly stop him if he chose to escape?
Yes and no. For Superman in film? Pretty damn new.

I don't think that the authorities think it'll stop him but it's more of a Superman's trying to put them in ease of some form. To not appear in some level of resistance against him. Remember...he's a nice guy.

Also..I need to get that BD of TDTESS (original).
Old 12-11-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow, that was an impressive trailer. I'm actually looking forward to this film. It started out a little too serious, as if it were the soundtrack for the Passion part II. But some great visuals, and what looks to be like some really good action scenes.

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Criminy. The trailer is much too self-important and somber. Most of the previews for the Marvel movies are fun and novel; this one looks like a funeral is about to take place.

We'll see. I do not have faith in Zack Snyder.
I think it's good that this DC superhero movie draws a contrast to Marvels superhero movies.
Old 12-11-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I wonder why Zod needs spaceships? Just curious.
Old 12-11-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

As for his identity i was just thinking that maybe he leaves Kansas for a long time and changes his name, with him being older and looking different nobody would recognize him when he emerges as Supes
Old 12-11-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think that the authorities think it'll stop him but it's more of a Superman's trying to put them in ease of some form. To not appear in some level of resistance against him. Remember...he's a nice guy.

Also..I need to get that BD of TDTESS (original).
Oh, I understand why Supes allowed himself to be cuffed. My point was that the authorities would have to be really stupid to think it is anything other than a gesture of good faith on Supes' part, whether they had used cuffs or chains.

And I'm in the same boat on the TDTESS BD.
Old 12-11-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I wonder why Zod needs spaceships? Just curious.
Maybe it's
Spoiler:
because they were traveling from a region that didn't have a yellow sun. Although I wonder where he got the ship since I'm assuming it's Kryptonian and Krypton was destroyed.
Old 12-11-12, 04:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The whole "superhuman allows himself to be jailed" idea was one of the few things that Hancock did right. Hopefully there's a fresh angle on it here.
Old 12-11-12, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course, but for me that in and of itself wouldn't cause fear. Curiosity, wonder, and probably more than a bit of envy (how come I can't fly like that type of thing), but not fear.
First, that's just you. Many people would react with fear. Second, your reaction here is being colored by the fact that you've had decades of exposure to Superman and the idea of who he is and what he does. If you saw someone lift a bus in real life, your reaction might be a little different.

As for the trailer, I am intrigued. I do hope it's good.
Old 12-11-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more I watch it, the more I don't like it. Sure, the action scenes look great. But upon closer inspection, what you see is:
- Superman falling down on his knees and spitting what looks like blood
- Superman getting thrown at a Bank Vault
- Superman surrounded by armed forces
- Superman in cuffs

I hope there's something in the movie that makes me feel GOOD about having seen it. What the hell happened to having a sense of wonder about all this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.