Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Back To The Future - Back on the Big Screen

Old 10-26-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Back To The Future - Back on the Big Screen

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen View Post
My local theater didn't have any pre-show trivia. I'm real disappointed in that because I heard other locations were giving away the blu-ray set as prizes. I asked for an extra poster for a friend of mine who loves BTTF since they had extras, but they said only one poster per ticket. I'm happy that AMC did a screening, this was the first time I ever saw BTTF on a big screen.
Varnsen
Pennypacker
Vandelay
Pennypacker
Varnsen
Vandelay
Old 10-26-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Varnsen
Pennypacker
Vandelay
Pennypacker
Varnsen
Vandelay
I love that scene.
Old 10-26-10, 05:39 AM

I have seen these movies way too many times! It's gonna be hard enough to sit through them one more time on Blu-ray much less going to the theater. Count me out. What happened to Back To The Future 4, 5, & 6? Loyd said he was up for it. It could be about him and his family in space or in other times. Heck, make a robot Marty and have MJF do the voice over for it.
Old 10-26-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How big were those Save the Clock Tower papers? I wanted to get some, but I didn't see them at the theater.
Old 10-26-10, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by kal varnsen View Post
how big were those save the clock tower papers? I wanted to get some, but i didn't see them at the theater.
5 1/2 x 8 1/2
Old 10-26-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Forgot to mention...my mom wore these to the theater.
Yeah, they're technically from Part II, but what are ya gonna do?
Old 10-26-10, 09:29 AM

Forgot to mention also: saw a DeLorean in the parking lot. That was pretty sweet.
Old 10-26-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Universal threw a pretty amazing shindig last night for the blu-ray release with the cast in attendance and an "Ace of Cakes"-created Deloreon complete with flames. Here are some photos I took:

(Michael)

(Christopher)

(Lea)

(Mary)

(Huey)

Old 10-26-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went last night and it was great. The theater was nearly full and everybody really got into it. I even caught myself laughing and cheering, something I didn't think I would do.
Old 10-26-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Another good part: the kids were transfixed. A bit of chattering, but totally tolerable.

If only they'd done the whole trilogy. When Back to the Future was ending I really wanted to just sit there and watch the other two.
Old 10-26-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah......where's BIFF Tannen up in this bit**.
Old 10-26-10, 01:31 PM

This thread has got me all nostalgic.

I don't know if I've posted these before, but these pics are from the Hollywood Star Cars museum in Gatlinburg.

Old 10-26-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
I've heard the opposite from most projectionists. The general opinion seems to be that Blu ray doesn't hold up well when projected onto an industrial size big screen.
Not true at all, Weve had several premieres done for movies where the studios(usually a smaller indy company or direct to video premiere) using bluray players and bluray discs. And we have the widest commercial movie theatre screen in the country, and a christie cp 2230 DLP projector the PQ is still great.

Iam curious if the projectionists you have talked to are really projectionist or if they are managers that merely start the projector.

On another note i have to say its good to hear that the AMC BTTF screenings were done using their 2K or 4K DLP projectors, instead of the pre show entertainment ones that are usually used for these one night or 2 night only screenings.
Old 10-26-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kinda bummed that none of the theaters near here were showing this, but a local theater did screen the movie this past April.

Probably not as clean a print as the ones you guys saw, but it was still good given that I never got to see it in theaters in its initial run.
Old 10-26-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to drive an hour away but I caught it last night in an enthusiastic and sold out show. I was able to grab two posters and a handful of Save the Clock Tower handouts since I was the last person out of the theater and they were either going to toss them or send them back anyway.

I wish the rest of the trilogy was re-released as well. I already saw BTTF in a 35MM print back in 2006 but this digital projection was just absolutely incredible in detail. I noticed a lot of things I've never seen before and I've seen the movie hundreds of times.
Old 10-26-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to threadcap, but I've often wondered this and this is the most logical thread to put it in, but what's the big deal about seeing "old" movies in the theater again? I mean we've all seen Back to the Future God only knows how many times, so why not just sit at home and watch it on blu ray on your nice home theater setup? There are a bunch of threads about how crappy the experience is at theaters with people talking and kids screaming and fat, smelly people crowding you so why go through all that for a movie you've already seen a hundred times?

I go to the theater every now and then to see a new movie, but usually I just wait for the home release. Frankly I couldn't imagine actually going to the theater to watch Back to the Future even though I love the movie. I couldn't imagine going to the theater to see any movie that I could watch at home.

It would be one thing if I could go back in time and watch a movie for the first time in the theater. I'm too young, but I would LOVE to go see Jaws for the first time in the theater with a bunch of other people that have never seen it. That would be a trip. But I guess I just don't see the point of watching a movie you've seen a hundred times with a bunch of strangers in a movie theater who have also seen it a hundred times.
Old 10-26-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

its alot of fun, and its kind of an expiereince to see an older movie in true 35mm.
Old 10-26-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
its alot of fun, and its kind of an expiereince to see an older movie in true 35mm.
Although, of course, this was a digital print and not 35mm.
Old 10-27-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Not trying to threadcap, but I've often wondered this and this is the most logical thread to put it in, but what's the big deal about seeing "old" movies in the theater again? I mean we've all seen Back to the Future God only knows how many times, so why not just sit at home and watch it on blu ray on your nice home theater setup? There are a bunch of threads about how crappy the experience is at theaters with people talking and kids screaming and fat, smelly people crowding you so why go through all that for a movie you've already seen a hundred times?
I guess I can only sum it up by saying its the experience. I was lucky that the screening I saw was done at a theater that didn't allow the usual cineplex shortcomings (phones/kids running around). It basically restored my faith that there are still good movie theater experiences to be had, you just have to have respectful, interested fans to achieve that.
Old 10-27-10, 11:47 AM

I go to the theater every now and then to see a new movie, but usually I just wait for the home release. Frankly I couldn't imagine actually going to the theater to watch Back to the Future even though I love the movie. I couldn't imagine going to the theater to see any movie that I could watch at home.

It would be one thing if I could go back in time and watch a movie for the first time in the theater. I'm too young, but I would LOVE to go see Jaws for the first time in the theater with a bunch of other people that have never seen it. That would be a trip. But I guess I just don't see the point of watching a movie you've seen a hundred times with a bunch of strangers in a movie theater who have also seen it a hundred times.
As others have said it's for the experience. Same reason that most people would rather see a baseball or football game at the stadium instead of watching it at home on tv. I love going to the theater. It's my favorite hobby/pastime and I go 100+ times a year. I have a 100 inch projection screen in my home theater and I still prefer watching a movie for the first time on the "big screen" at the multiplex. The smell of popcorn, the decor and the enormous, cavernous theater rooms can't be beat.
Old 10-27-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan View Post
The smell of popcorn, the decor and the enormous, cavernous theater rooms can't be beat.

I agree. You cannot duplicate the moviegoing experience at home, regardless of how expensive your set-up is.

You don't get the same feeling of a "shared experience" with a crowd of people laughing and clapping with you.

The smell of the popocorn, the sound of the arcade in the lobby, the sight of coming-soon posters outside on the walls....

It's all a visceral experience that cannot be duplicated.
Old 10-27-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only all of the above but when a movie like BTTF comes back into a theater you are going to get real fans of the flick. Not just people out to go to any movie.
Old 10-27-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to threadcap, but I've often wondered this and this is the most logical thread to put it in, but what's the big deal about seeing "old" movies in the theater again?
Seeing a movie at home vs. on a big screen is the difference between going to the zoo and going on safari. The theater is their natural environment.

We're fortunate in the Louisville area to have a theater that shows older movies every other Saturday at midnight. In some instances, we've gone to see movies we missed during their theatrical run; I had never seen Ghostbusters on a big screen until this past Saturday night. You're right that the average theater audience can be distracting, but I have never once had a problem at any of the midnight screenings I've attended because everyone there is committed to enjoying the film; as arminius noted, they're not just out for the sake of seeing a movie.

And it's not always an audience of people who have already loved the movie in question. We took my nephew to see Beetlejuice last year, and it was his first time seeing it. We've taken my cousin to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, all first time viewings for her. At Roger Rabbit was a young woman who brought her little girl with her, and while I don't know if the kid had seen the movie before or not, she was clearly too young to have seen it originally and she seemed to enjoy it as though it was something fresh.

It's an opportunity to cheat the passing of time and share that first-time feeling with a new generation, as well, and I can honestly say I've found that to be one of the most appealing parts about it. I love being the one to introduce these movies to the youth in my family the way I wanted to see them for the first time.
Old 10-27-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alright. You all make good points.

Not really my cup of tea but I can certainly see how people could enjoy it.

I guess it would be cool to sit and watch a movie that you love with a hundred other people that also love it.
Old 10-27-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Alright. You all make good points.

Not really my cup of tea but I can certainly see how people could enjoy it.

I guess it would be cool to sit and watch a movie that you love with a hundred other people that also love it.
To be fair, it definitely depends on the movie and the environment. I went and saw Brazil on the big screen at a midnight showing, and there were only 15 other people there. I went to that because I think Brazil's a great movie; there wasn't much of a communal experience. Back to the Future was much more about that shared love for the film.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.