Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
29.73%
23.65%
25.00%
10.81%
4.73%
0.68%
0%
0%
0%
0.68%
0.68%
A movie about Facebook...srsly?
4.05%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-10, 09:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"The Social Network" (Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Rooney Mara, Bryan Barter, Armie Hammer, Dustin Fitzsimons, Joseph Mazzello, Max Minghella, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones)

Release Date:
10/1/2010

Rating:
PG-13 (for lol, wtf, rofl, srsly, no wai, ya rly, o rly, ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ, having 0 "friends", and omgasms throughout.)

Running Time:
121min. (2h. 01m.)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history... but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.7 (6,371 votes as of 10/05/10)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:172 Rotten:05 (97% as of 10/05/10)

Metacritic:
96 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 10/05/10)

Trailer:
<object width="450" height="235"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24469"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24469" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="235" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-05-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 09:13 PM

Re: The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Reviews from previous thread (spoilerized for size):
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by geicos27
I saw it tonight and loved it! My faith has been restored in Fincher. I regret ever doubting him. The script was sharp and should get an Oscar nod. I thought both Eisenberg and Garfield were terrific. For people wondering the movie was about 2 hrs. I give it an A and hope it gets some Oscar love.
Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Saw it, and it was okay. The start, when FB was coming together was peppy and exciting and a whole lot of fun. However, about halfway through, when Timberlake's character was introduced, it became a slog. What's weird is I didn't mind the character (my GF hated him), it's just the energy got sapped out and things just got tedious.

With that said, was definitely better than Benjamin Button, which was just boring the whole way through.
Originally Posted by G-Rex
I thought the film was very, very good. I kind of scratched my head when I first heard about the project, and wondered why Fincher would direct a film about Facebook. I'm not going to rank it against other Fincher films, but I really liked it. And the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is outstanding.

Day one blu-ray purchase for me.
Originally Posted by James Lafleur
Definitely agreed on the Oscar nod for Eisenberg. He knocked it out of the park. Just a great great movie all around.
Originally Posted by James Lafleur
I can't speak too much because I've only seen bits and pieces of The West Wing and Studio 60, but the writing is absolutely amazing and from what I know of him, very much in his usual style. Right off the bat, the very first scene of the movie is rapid fire dialogue back and forth, but with a slowly building crescendo and a great conclusion.
It sets the tone for the rest of the movie's dialogue exchanges.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Caught the AICN screening last night here in Austin. I went in with with really no expectations, but with Fincher directing an Aaron Sorkin script, I was definitely interested. In short, this movie is prehaps the best I've seen in quite a while. I was really wondering how they could make this story last for 2 hours, but I could have stood for more of the story. I had no idea just how Facebook was created and those involved, but the story itself is great drama. Aaron Sorkin, Jessee Eisenberg, and Armie Hammer did a Q&A after. nothing really great was revealed from it, but Sorkin did mention his next project was about the fall of John Edwards. He's doing the script and will be directing for the first time.
Originally Posted by filmerp
Caught this tonight. I was a bit apprehensive about it since I wasn't crazy about the procedural ZODIAC, but I easily could have watched THE SOCIAL NETWORK continue for another two hours. The combo of Fincher's directing with Sorkin's dialogue was absolutely fascinating to see unfold. No hesitation to recommend this one!
Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw it tonight. Really liked it. Well-acted, great writing, and this will be nominated for Best Editing without hesitation. It's a 3-hour movie expertly snipped into 2-hours, not crammed.
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Jesse Eisenberg's performance is brilliant. It's a complete 180 from the personality he vividly displays in Adventure/Zombieland; his Zuckerberg is a motor-mouthed, extremely intelligent dick who doesn't seem to quite understand how one sympathizes or empathizes.
Originally Posted by The Bus
It's a very well-crafted film, and ultimately has nothing to do with Facebook. Facebook in the movie serves the purpose of a McGuffin; it just happens to be a McGuffin that your mom is aware of.
Old 09-29-10, 11:46 AM

stellar thus far...
Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:45 Rotten:00 (100% as of 9/29/10)

Metacritic:
98 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 9/29/10)
Old 09-29-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The soundtrack is available as a digital download at Amazon for only $2.99 through today (Wednesday the 29th)

I'm listening to it now, and I'm digging Reznor and Ross's work.
Old 09-29-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Well well well. GUESS who the one critic is so far who gave this a thumbs down!??
Old 09-29-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno... the only critic with a trademark on Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down?

Ohhhhh, Armond White....
Old 09-29-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in hearing some reviews on this. Doesn't look that great but I love Aaron Sorkin.
Old 09-29-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601
I'm interested in hearing some reviews on this. Doesn't look that great but I love Aaron Sorkin.
The reviews are stellar...what doesn't look that great?

If you love Sorkin, you're going to dig this film. Big time.
Old 09-30-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The reviews are stellar...what doesn't look that great?
Umm its a movie about some college kids at a snooty school that invent a website and make friends, enemies and get rich. Sounds like a real barn-burner.

Nothing I have seen or read about this gives me any interest in this at all. Someday maybe on DVD. All the critic love is a bit weird though.
Old 09-30-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Umm its a movie about some college kids at a snooty school that invent a website and make friends, enemies and get rich. Sounds like a real barn-burner.

Nothing I have seen or read about this gives me any interest in this at all. Someday maybe on DVD. All the critic love is a bit weird though.
Hmm, maybe that's a sign the movie is about more than those things you listed, no?
Old 09-30-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Probably but that is the appearance it give to me...like I said I will probably catch it on DVD.

BTW your new avatar pic is freaking me out!! I am so used to seeing the old one.
Old 09-30-10, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so...you're saying you're freaked out by how he really looks?

ANYWAY...it's not what it's about that matters..it's how it's executed that matters to me. And its Fincher...
Old 09-30-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ANYWAY...it's not what it's about that matters..it's how it's executed that matters to me. And its Fincher...
Ehh, I don't know about that. If a movie came out that was all about bears farting in the woods, not sure I'd pay it much mind...
Old 09-30-10, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True..ok.......bastard...
Old 09-30-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Probably but that is the appearance it give to me...like I said I will probably catch it on DVD.

BTW your new avatar pic is freaking me out!! I am so used to seeing the old one.
Yeah...I almost left it.
Old 09-30-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
True..ok.......bastard...
Well, on the other hand, I'm sure plenty of critics would find something insightful about a farting bears film. "One with nature" and all that...
Old 10-01-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Me (*****): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46044...l-network-the/
Jamie S. Rich (*****): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46030...l-network-the/
Orndorf (****1/2): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46047...l-network-the/
Old 10-01-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

So far:

111 reviews, 108 positive, 3 negative, 9.3 out of 10 average overall on rotten tomatoes.

34 reviews, 34 positive, 9.7/10 from the Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

Metacritic: 98 out of 100 with 36 reviews

Perfect Scores (per MetaCritic) from Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Roger Ebert, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, New York Daily News, New York Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, Portland Oregonian, San Francisco Chronicle, Time, USA Today, Variety, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, The New Yorker, Boston Globe, Hollywood Reporter, Charlotte Observer, Chicago Reader, Orlando Sentinel, Arizona Republic, NPR, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Time Out New York, Boxoffice Magazine, and the St. Petersburg Times

Seems this one will be up for, at the very least, Best Screenplay and Best Picture -- and most likely Director and Actor.
Old 10-01-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will be Fincher's Oscar, i'm calling it.

The close to perfect scores this is getting is really outstanding.

So, since this was originally rumored to be a three hour R rated film, does that mean we will see some sort of director's cut/extended version on DVD?
Old 10-01-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15

So, since this was originally rumored to be a three hour R rated film, does that mean we will see some sort of director's cut/extended version on DVD?
Maybe. I think they CG'd a bra back on one girl based on the description one of the producers gave of the scene, but I never felt like the movie soft-pedaled the language. The dialogue is so biting and clever you can't imagine it being any other way.
Old 10-01-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I am seeing this tomorrow afternoon and am trying to keep my expectations in check. These reviews are setting them sky high.
Old 10-01-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15

Aaron Sorkin will also get an Oscar for his work here. The dialogue in this movie was insane! It will also get a Best Picture nomination for sure. Especially now that there are 10 slots. What about acting? I thought everyone did a great job. Except.....Timberlake. He was o.k. Nothing special. Sorkin said on the red carpet for it's NYC premiere that JT did such a phenominal job, he will get a nomination at the very least. Which I completely disagree with. Also, I've seen Timberlake in just about everything he's done, but I don't ever remember him sounding so effeminate. Not that there's anything wrong with that And last, this is the first time I've seen Rooney Mara in anything and thought she was amazing. The short time she's in the film. So I just got a little more excited about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" remake.

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-01-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a part of the "Facebook Generation". I was a sophomore in college when Facebook arrived to campus (2004) and I still use Facebook multiple times a day, mostly through my iPhone.

With that said, this movie was fantastic. Best movie I've seen this year. There are a lot of movies left to come out this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Oscar nods for Fincher and Sorkin. The acting in this movie was great. Props to Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield for carrying this movie in the acting department all of them were very believable in their respective roles (although I don't think any work as an Oscar nomination).

Maybe it's because I just got back from seeing the film but I can't think of anything negative to say right now.

And as far as Fincher's work goes:

1. Social Network
2. Fight Club
3. Zodiac
4. Seven
5. The Game
6. Benjamin Button
7. Panic Room

(I haven't seen Alien3)
Old 10-01-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'll preface this by saying that I'm a part of the "Facebook Generation". I was a sophomore in college when Facebook arrived to campus (2004) and I still use Facebook multiple times a day, mostly through my iPhone.

With that said, this movie was fantastic. Best movie I've seen this year. There are a lot of movies left to come out this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see Oscar nods for Fincher and Sorkin. The acting in this movie was great. Props to Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield for carrying this movie in the acting department all of them were very believable in their respective roles (although I don't think any work as an Oscar nomination).

Maybe it's because I just got back from seeing the film but I can't think of anything negative to say right now.

And as far as Fincher's work goes:

1. Social Network
2. Fight Club
3. Zodiac
4. Seven
5. The Game
6. Benjamin Button
7. Panic Room

(I haven't seen Alien3)
"The Social Network" is the best American film this year, for sure. "The Town" would be a close second (IMO). I agree with your ranking of Fincher's movies except, I'd put "Seven" at number #1. The rest I would put the same as you.
Old 10-01-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would put Inception as my close #2. The Town is a distant #3. IMO of course.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.