Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Fincher's "The Social Network"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Fincher's "The Social Network"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 09:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: David Fincher's "The Social Network"

Caught the AICN screening last night here in Austin. I went in with with really no expectations, but with Fincher directing an Aaron Sorkin script, I was definitely interested. In short, this movie is prehaps the best I've seen in quite a while. I was really wondering how they could make this story last for 2 hours, but I could have stood for more of the story. I had no idea just how Facebook was created and those involved, but the story itself is great drama. Aaron Sorkin, Jessee Eisenberg, and Armie Hammer did a Q&A after. nothing really great was revealed from it, but Sorkin did mention his next project was about the fall of John Edwards. He's doing the script and will be directing for the first time.
Old 09-22-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I heard that as well, but apparently other people saw him at the screening as well. /film said he was wearing a suit, which seems odd.
/film? You mean me, as filtered through /film.

I hope it wasn't a look-alike or something. I wasn't the one who recognized and was taking photos with him, though. Let's see if anyone other than myself can place Zuckerberg in Seattle yesterday.
Old 09-24-10, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's come clips....edited to be short on some and some cut before they get to a conclusion of whatever.

<object width="600" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27690"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27690" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="389" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27689"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27689" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="389" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27689"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27689" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="389" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27692"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/27692" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="389" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 09-25-10, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught this tonight. I was a bit apprehensive about it since I wasn't crazy about the procedural ZODIAC, but I easily could have watched THE SOCIAL NETWORK continue for another two hours. The combo of Fincher's directing with Sorkin's dialogue was absolutely fascinating to see unfold. No hesitation to recommend this one!
Old 09-25-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it tonight. Really liked it. Well-acted, great writing, and this will be nominated for Best Editing without hesitation. It's a 3-hour movie expertly snipped into 2-hours, not crammed.
Old 09-26-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm very curious to see how this does box office wise, cause i know there are who are saying 'who the fuck wants to sit through a 2 hour movie about facebook'.
Old 09-26-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'm very curious to see how this does box office wise, cause i know there are who are saying 'who the fuck wants to sit through a 2 hour movie about facebook'.
Yeah, it should be interesting. The buzz should get it a nice opening but for me, I'm in that realm and will just wait for it on Blu-ray.
Old 09-26-10, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fincher. Sorkin. Stellar reviews. Off the charts word of mouth.

I'll be sitting in a theater on October 1st.
Old 09-26-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Honestly? That's how I feel about it, and though I keep hearing how great it is, my lack of interest in the premise/plot keeps me from reading (or caring) too much about it.

In a short couple of sentences, what can you folks say that will make other people want to see this? Exactly WHY is it so damned good? I want to know...I could become interested enough to see it, and I'm sure others have mild interest (at best), too, and you could change some minds with your comments.
Jesse Eisenberg's performance is brilliant. It's a complete 180 from the personality he vividly displays in Adventure/Zombieland; his Zuckerberg is a motor-mouthed, extremely intelligent dick who doesn't seem to quite understand how one sympathizes or empathizes.
Old 09-26-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly? That's how I feel about it, and though I keep hearing how great it is, my lack of interest in the premise/plot keeps me from reading (or caring) too much about it.

In a short couple of sentences, what can you folks say that will make other people want to see this? Exactly WHY is it so damned good? I want to know...I could become interested enough to see it, and I'm sure others have mild interest (at best), too, and you could change some minds with your comments.
A drama about real estate salesmen sounds boring, but Alec Bladwin's scene from Glenn Gary Glen Ross sucks me in immediately. The Social Network carries the wit and tension from that scene throughout the entire film.
Old 09-26-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a very well-crafted film, and ultimately has nothing to do with Facebook. Facebook in the movie serves the purpose of a McGuffin; it just happens to be a McGuffin that your mom is aware of.
Old 09-26-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow, crazy. When I talked to a friend right after seeing it, I cited Glengarry Glen Ross, but I'd forgotten I did that until I read filmerp's post.

Great minds, eh?
Originally Posted by The Bus
It's a very well-crafted film, and ultimately has nothing to do with Facebook. Facebook in the movie serves the purpose of a McGuffin; it just happens to be a McGuffin that your mom is aware of.
Yeah. You only see the website itself 3 times in the movie, if I remember correctly -- approximately the beginning, middle, and end.
Old 09-26-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Wow, crazy. When I talked to a friend right after seeing it, I cited Glengarry Glen Ross, but I'd forgotten I did that until I read filmerp's post.

Great minds, eh? Yeah. You only see the website itself 3 times in the movie, if I remember correctly -- approximately the beginning, middle, and end.
My guess is that paramount (or who ever's in charge of marketing it) thinks mentioning the words 'facebook' any chance they get in trailers/tv spots, itll get teens in theaters, when in fact, it could do the exact oposite.
Old 09-26-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm impressed with Mark Zuckerberg's move on Friday to donate $100 million to the Newark Public Schools. If this is just a public relations stunt to ward off negative attitudes toward him created by the movie, that's fine by me. It's a brilliant stunt. I automatically feel better towards him. There was an article about this in the Times the other day (Fri. or Sat.) and it made him sound more interesting to me than I've been led to believe.
Old 09-26-10, 08:27 PM
Banned

Damn....stunt or not that's great for the schools.
Old 09-27-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently at 100% with 27 rave reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-...contentReviews

But we all know what's right around the corner....
Old 09-28-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was completely skeptical of Social Network but I saw this last night and it's a great fucking movie. Everything about it is so well done. The acting, the pacing, the story. It's just a great film.
Old 09-28-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Woo! Finally saw a movie before BJacks.
Old 09-28-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still 100% with 40 reviews now. Waiting for Armond to trash it.
Old 09-28-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Armond will dislike it.
Old 09-28-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Woo! Finally saw a movie before BJacks.
Ha, glad to accommodate. Would've responded to you earlier but I was seeing Star Trek 2.
Old 09-29-10, 09:32 AM
Banned

hahaha....
Old 09-29-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah... 41/41 so far, 98 out of 100 on metacritic (13 reviews).

Nutso.

As for Mark Zuckerberg showing up to a showing ... if David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin were making a libelous, mean spirited movie about me making me out to be the worst person in the world, I'd still go see it because it's David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin. Kind of a no brainer.
Old 09-29-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2

As for Mark Zuckerberg showing up to a showing ... if David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin were making a libelous, mean spirited movie about me making me out to be the worst person in the world, I'd still go see it because it's David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin. Kind of a no brainer.
Old 09-29-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The soundtrack is available as a digital download at Amazon for only $2.99 through today (Wednesday the 29th)

I'm listening to it now, and I'm digging Reznor and Ross's work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.