Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020, D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020, D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Bill & Ted Face the Music (D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

The hate goes to his acting which to people immediately associate to just Keanu Reeves as a whole.

I don't hate him. I don't really like his acting...but I've no reason to have a personal emotion towards him as a person. As guy, he seems like a nice person to talk to. As an actor? I think that can both be attributed to him as well as the Director not asking or better directing him to act differently. OR...the director just has that one type of acting to get out of him and you work w/ what you can get.
Old 09-22-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't watch him in "The Gift" and say he's a bad actor. Like many actors he has a role in his past that he can't shake. On the other hand, I think the people who keep bringing up "Bill & Ted" are a vocal (and annoying) minority. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of people aren't thinking of Ted "Theodore" Logan when they watch "The Matrix" or "Speed" but that doesn't stop the other 10% for chiming in at every chance trying to act like he played those characters as airhead slackers.

But yeah, it's nice to see Keanu is somewhat on-board for this since his involvement obviously makes or breaks the whole movie. Hopefully the rumors about the bullshit "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" cameo arrangement that would have Ted kidnapped/missing etc. for the bulk of the film don't pan out. If he does it he should commit to a full starring role, otherwise the movie will be doomed. Granted, it will be doomed regardless because stubborn fanboys can't reconcile anything with their own ridiculous expectations once you pass the 5 year mark, but still. With a reduced role the sensible people in the audience would have a valid reason to complain in addition to the inevitable internet whining.

I would be interested to see what the rights situation really is. Someone already mentioned the MGM situation, I think "Bogus Journey" was a full-blown Orion production but "Excellent Adventure" was a Dino de Laurentiis production that set on the shelf for over a year when DdL's company folded, then Orion grabbed up the distribution rights. Considering the success distributing the first film I'm sure producing the sequel was a no-brainer for them but I'd be very surprised if the rights situation was as simple as "MGM acquired Orion, MGM owns the rights". MGM owns the home video rights to the original "Terminator" as well but that obviously doesn't give them claim to the "Terminator" concept.

If MGM really does own the rights to the characters and concepts it could be better or it could be worse. Best-case scenario? Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon somehow own the characters. Worst case scenario? The rights are a mess because of some deal Dino de Laurentiis made with a French oil company in the late 80's.

But yeah, if it's MGM and they own the rights this could be a pretty cheap production, they wouldn't even need to be operating at full strength to get this thing off the ground. I could see Keanu taking a pay cut for this, even if only as a favor to Winters, Solomon and Matheson. Giving this thing any more than like a $40-$60 million budget would be nuts but even then I'm sure this is one of those things that could tank at the box office and still pull in big numbers on video and overseas, not to mention the fact that it's a perfect opportunity to drag the first two into Blu-ray, release bobbleheads and video games etc.
Old 09-22-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can't watch him in "The Gift" and say he's a bad actor. Like many actors he has a role in his past that he can't shake. On the other hand, I think the people who keep bringing up "Bill & Ted" are a vocal (and annoying) minority. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of people aren't thinking of Ted "Theodore" Logan when they watch "The Matrix" or "Speed" but that doesn't stop the other 10% for chiming in at every chance trying to act like he played those characters as airhead slackers.

But yeah, it's nice to see Keanu is somewhat on-board for this since his involvement obviously makes or breaks the whole movie. Hopefully the rumors about the bullshit "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" cameo arrangement that would have Ted kidnapped/missing etc. for the bulk of the film don't pan out. If he does it he should commit to a full starring role, otherwise the movie will be doomed. Granted, it will be doomed regardless because stubborn fanboys can't reconcile anything with their own ridiculous expectations once you pass the 5 year mark, but still. With a reduced role the sensible people in the audience would have a valid reason to complain in addition to the inevitable internet whining.

I would be interested to see what the rights situation really is. Someone already mentioned the MGM situation, I think "Bogus Journey" was a full-blown Orion production but "Excellent Adventure" was a Dino de Laurentiis production that set on the shelf for over a year when DdL's company folded, then Orion grabbed up the distribution rights. Considering the success distributing the first film I'm sure producing the sequel was a no-brainer for them but I'd be very surprised if the rights situation was as simple as "MGM acquired Orion, MGM owns the rights". MGM owns the home video rights to the original "Terminator" as well but that obviously doesn't give them claim to the "Terminator" concept.

If MGM really does own the rights to the characters and concepts it could be better or it could be worse. Best-case scenario? Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon somehow own the characters. Worst case scenario? The rights are a mess because of some deal Dino de Laurentiis made with a French oil company in the late 80's.

But yeah, if it's MGM and they own the rights this could be a pretty cheap production, they wouldn't even need to be operating at full strength to get this thing off the ground. I could see Keanu taking a pay cut for this, even if only as a favor to Winters, Solomon and Matheson. Giving this thing any more than like a $40-$60 million budget would be nuts but even then I'm sure this is one of those things that could tank at the box office and still pull in big numbers on video and overseas, not to mention the fact that it's a perfect opportunity to drag the first two into Blu-ray, release bobbleheads and video games etc.
Old 09-22-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Circle K still rules Phoenix. But Quicktrip kicks their asses.

I miss Turkey Hill myself.
Old 09-22-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keanu seems pretty lucid and engaging in that interview.

Is that James Caan lingering around behind him?
Old 09-22-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Keanu seems pretty lucid and engaging in that interview.

Is that James Caan lingering around behind him?
Hard to tell but probably. Caan was at the festival and that patio area gets jam-packed with celebrities.
Old 09-22-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Keanu, even though I don't always like his movies, but I'd rather not see a B&T3. I watched some of one of them on cable last week and it didn't hold up well for me at all.

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-10-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
We used to have them in Texas.
There's one in McKinney.
Old 09-23-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

South Florida has tons...

Austin is ruled by 7-11.
Old 09-23-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oops, I didn't intend for this to turn into a Circle K thread
Old 08-10-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Most Triumphant News!

You and I have witnessed many things, but nothing as bodacious as this.
Old 08-10-12, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatD
Most Triumphant News!

You and I have witnessed many things, but nothing as bodacious as this.
Excellent.
Old 08-10-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the director of Galaxy Quest and Red? Um, yes please.

This has potential.
Old 08-10-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Excellent.
Most excellent!
Old 08-10-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
the director of Galaxy Quest and Red? Um, yes please.

This has potential.
Not Red. He's directing Red 2.
Old 08-10-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked B&T a lot, don't remember much about the second one. A third one at their ages sounds like a tough go, but it has potential.
Old 08-10-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, who steps up to try to play a young George Carlin as Rufus meeting The Wyld Stallyns for the first time?
Old 08-11-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
So, who steps up to try to play a young George Carlin as Rufus meeting The Wyld Stallyns for the first time?
Louis C.K.?

*Jules air guitars at this most non bogus news*
Old 08-11-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what my buddy said tonight too. I think it's a decent fit, but I'm expecting a younger Rufus for some reason.
Old 08-11-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

""Bill & Ted" creators Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson already wrote a script for the project that will share with audiences where Bill and Ted are in today's world instead of having the new movie be either a sequel or a prequel."

Huh? If it's not a prequel or sequel, what is it?
Old 08-11-12, 01:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a Last Action Hero type of plot.
Old 08-11-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Circle K still rules Phoenix. But Quicktrip kicks their asses.

I miss Turkey Hill myself.
All we have up here in PA is Turkey Hill, on like every corner, and they suck. I was just in Miami for two weeks and can't tell you how much I missed getting a slurpee at 7-11. We only have a few of them in the state and the closest one to me is like 80 miles away.
Old 08-11-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

There's only one actor who I think could fill in George Carlin shoes for a sheer coolness/gravitas factor: Samuel L. Jackson.

I don't think it's impossible idea: he's been in a bunch of mid-level movies. He could be Rufus's friend from the future. (I was going to say his mentor, but that was Denomolous from the second movie).
Old 08-11-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sam "I Play the Same Motherfucker in Every Movie" Jackson?

Honestly, at this point he should take a longggggggggggggggggg break from "acting". Nobody who works on every movie ever made brings gravitas to a film.
Old 08-11-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
There's only one actor who I think could fill in George Carlin shoes for a sheer coolness/gravitas factor: Samuel L. Jackson.

I don't think it's impossible idea: he's been in a bunch of mid-level movies. He could be Rufus's friend from the future. (I was going to say his mentor, but that was Denomolous from the second movie).
I thought Denomolous was just Rufus' gym teacher, rather than his mentor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.