Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020, D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020, D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020, D: Parisot) S: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter

Did not like this movie at all. I almost fell asleep several times. There wasn't a single line as funny as "you killed Ted, you medieval dickweed!" from the first film.

But yes, I also recognized a few bars from INDEPENDENCE DAY during the song.
Old 11-09-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Just wanted to jump back into this thread to share that Vudu has the Bill & Ted Triple Feature listed for half off.
Linky: https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...undle-/1502096

$18 for all three in UHX

These are NOT MA titles, but we already knew that.
Old 11-17-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I finally watched this last night and didn't really care for it. I thought the Bill & Ted characters were fine and the actors, especially Alex Winter, nailed the characters. Actually, Keanu seemed off a little bit. I thought the first 15 or so minutes of the film were the funniest and best parts, showing them to still be complete idiots, and I really lost interest as the time travel stuff came in. The daughters were awful and did not work at all. They ruined every scene they were in. They started the musician stuff off well with Hendrix, Louie Armstrong, and Mozart, but then added people that no one knows. One of the best things about the first film was the fish out of water scenes with the historical figures and this movie really could have used some of that. I did like the emotionally fragile robot.
Old 11-18-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I finally watched this last night and didn't really care for it. I thought the Bill & Ted characters were fine and the actors, especially Alex Winter, nailed the characters. Actually, Keanu seemed off a little bit. I thought the first 15 or so minutes of the film were the funniest and best parts, showing them to still be complete idiots, and I really lost interest as the time travel stuff came in. The daughters were awful and did not work at all. They ruined every scene they were in. They started the musician stuff off well with Hendrix, Louie Armstrong, and Mozart, but then added people that no one knows. One of the best things about the first film was the fish out of water scenes with the historical figures and this movie really could have used some of that. I did like the emotionally fragile robot.
I didn't mind the daughters, but I agree they missed an opportunity by not having the historical characters played for Comedy like the first film. I also agree that pulling random figures from Musical History was an odd choice that just felt like maybe it was some PC choice I just didn't get. Still, it was just pleasant enough on the whole that I was okay with it.
Old 11-18-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This might be a situation where my expectations were so high, it hurt my enjoyment of the movie. (Which is strange since I wouldn't consider the first two as milestones of comedy or anything.) Still, part of me wanted to watch it again a few days later which meant deep down I didn't hate it.

What I notice these days is how Hollywood has to retcon the final resolution to a franchise in order to create a sequel. Terminator: Dark Fate nullified the ending of T2. The Force Awakens has Han and Chewie as smugglers again with the galactic war still continuing. On and on.

To me it might've been more interesting to see a story progress after Bogus Journey where Bill & Ted are now revered after performing the song that united the world. (I mean - they performed on Mars for goodness sakes! Did everyone forget that?) But writers can never come up with a story that follows a franchise's original ending, so they have to pretend like the ending to the last one didn't really happen.

That really bugged me, but once I got past it I'll admit I enjoyed my second viewing more.
Old 12-01-20, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

OK, I picked this up as a Black Friday deal on Blu Ray, and I liked it.

I didn't love it, it's definitely the weakest of the three, but it didn't suck. It was fairly good, and had some really good moments. I actually liked the daughters a lot, and thought it was interesting to give them parallel stories (to their dads') that converged about 3/4 of the way through.

Yeah, it kind of retconned the whole point of the original two movies (Bill and Ted were supposed to write the song that brought the universe into alignment), but they wiggled free from that just enough to make it work.

An unnecessary sequel to be sure, but an entertaining one.
Old 12-07-20, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Finally got the chance to watch this last night. It's terrible. I hated the daughter characters, Reeves totally was disconnected from his character, and I wished Hank would shoot the robot. Death was the only character I enjoyed. Honestly I may not even keep it. I'll never watch it again.
Old 04-22-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think the musicians fell flat because they used people who are still within our lifetimes. You can easily mock or turn Mozart,Socrates,Napoleon,Billy The Kid and even Abe Lincoln's charecter whatever makes the easiest joke because no one who ever met them before was alive in 1989. If you really went in on Louie Armstrong ,Hendrix or any 20th century music icon and made them look like morons or simpletons some of their fans or even people who knew them and are living would take offense. It's why most muisc Biopics are dull formulaic Hagiographies.
Old 02-21-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Apparently I was in the minority about this one, but it is what it is….

Taking a look back today at “Bill and Ted Face The Music”, the movie that produced the first review I wrote after the beginning of the pandemic. Still loving it, and the review I wrote still holds up. Check out the full review at https://www.orbiwanblogs.me/billtedfacemusic2020
Old 02-21-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I've watched this a good 10 or 15 times. Great to play in the background when I'm working. Love it.
The following users liked this post:
Orbi-Wan Techno (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 10:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Heh, I do the same thing while I’m working. It’s just a fun movie.
The following users liked this post:
Orbi-Wan Techno (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Since I have Hulu now, I should check it out.
Old 02-21-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought it was a lot of fun. The robot cracked me up and I loved how the daughters still had faith in their dads instead of having the movie go the cynical route (it seems like in most of these long-gestating sequels where the leads have kids, they are so often deadbeat dads--Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Star Wars, Superman Returns). But I can see where it would fall flat for some.