Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Monsters (2010) dir. Gareth Edwards

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Monsters (2010) dir. Gareth Edwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Monsters (2010) dir. Gareth Edwards

You can now rent the movie on iTunes.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...04343&s=143441

Honestly, I think this will kill any chance of the film making good money in the theaters, especially given the negative reactions.
Old 10-13-10, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this a few weeks ago when a friend of mine compared it to District 9 and Moon in terms of a new wave of sci-fi filmmaking. However, unlike District 9 and Moon, this movie was boring as hell. If I want to watch a sci-fi travelogue with characters I actually cared about I'd pull out the director's cut of Until The End of the World. This is a giant monster movie without any giant monsters, a character study with no characters worth studying, and the only disaster associated with this movie is the end product.
Old 10-13-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw this a few weeks ago when a friend of mine compared it to District 9 and Moon in terms of a new wave of sci-fi filmmaking. However, unlike District 9 and Moon, this movie was boring as hell. If I want to watch a sci-fi travelogue with characters I actually cared about I'd pull out the director's cut of Until The End of the World. This is a giant monster movie without any giant monsters, a character study with no characters worth studying, and the only disaster associated with this movie is the end product.
That's exactly how I felt about the movie.

After hearing about it, I was really interested and I was excited to watch it. As it trudged along I kept waiting for the good parts to come but they never did.

The biggest problem isn't that there really weren't any monsters. That's fine. The problem was that the two characters absolutely sucked. Didn't care about them in the least.
Old 10-27-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it.

Not a great movie, but I liked it. The director was doing something a little different, and it totally worked for me.
Old 10-27-10, 03:45 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I plan on checking this out on HDNet Movies tonight -- looking forward to it despite the mixed reactions.
Old 10-27-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I liked it.

Not a great movie, but I liked it. The director was doing something a little different, and it totally worked for me.
I don't really know what he did different. It was a "relationship" movie, but a poorly written and acted one. In my humble opinion of course.

And I didn't like the fact that it was completely mismarketed. I mean it didn't have a lot of marketing I guess, but going in I thought it was going to be something completely different and was very disappointed in the end result.
Old 10-27-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all of these negative views on the film, I'm going in tonight with low expectations. Here's to hoping they're exceeded.
Old 10-27-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught this one HDNET tonight. First I was really looking forward to seeing this. In fact I almost paid to see it early on Itunes but I am glad I didn't. First the movie isn't horrible it just does nothing with a awesome setting and what could be an awesome movie.

First I really thought the acting was really good, liked the main characters, Camera work, atmosphere, the post apocalyptic wasteland was pretty awesome as was the jets that would roar over the wasteland. The big problem was this movie is called monsters and there are barely any monster scenes in it. There are really just three monster scenes and they are pretty cool but they also feature the same monster so the movie probably should be called Monster and not Monsters since I didnt notice any different kinds of monsters. Plus the other problem is they looked like just giant octopuses that walk on land.

When the movie ended and the credits came on screen it felt like I fell asleep and missed the second half of the movie, cause the movie just ends as it starts to build. Theres no climax or anything. It just ends.

Maybe they were really just limited in what they could do with the budget they had, but its a pretty disappointing movie considering how awesome this movie could of been. Still the movie isnt horrible just doesnt live up to what it could of been.

6/10
Old 11-05-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually enjoyed this. Maybe it was because I knew going in that it wasn't humans fighting monsters but the whole movie felt kinda hypnotising. I liked how you just followed these 2 people in a world that is being controlled by fear and awe, the sense of wonder seeing these monsters. I was disappointed that we didn't see any of the smaller monsters they talked about, only the big ones and the infected trees. Finally big thumbs up for showing me some alien sex.
Old 11-05-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. I knew going in that the focus wasn't on the monsters, just like Cloverfield (which I loved), so that didn't bother me. I also didn't think the acting was nearly as bad as some made it out to be. I liked that it sounded genuine, at least. The effects were great considering the budget. And, as sauce pointed out, alien sex
Old 11-05-10, 08:04 PM

yeah, this film pretty much sucked the life and time out of me. i was 100% disappointed. it was District 9 meets The Road, sans everything amazing about both pictures.
Old 11-06-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does the film have to be [something] meets [something], but not really? It was a micro-budgeted film that managed to look like it cost a couple mil. I liked the concepts employed, the backdrop of a monster invasion, the lack of complete explanation about everything, the news clips that played periodically... sure, the two leads were far from Shakespearian but they weren't nearly as bad as I had expected. These are many of the same complaints poeple had about Cloverfield, a film I loved. I grew up on monster movies, I've seen tons of them, and I like films that take place in a similar universe regardless of if the focus is on the monster or not.
Old 12-08-10, 03:33 PM

I enjoyed it. Yes it didn't follow the typical sci-fi/horror recipe/action/special effects scenes that are expected, or the big 1-2 punch at the end, but for me-less is more. The subtlety was nice and I thought the creatures were effective and extremely well done considering the budget. I can see how a lot of people will be disappointed in this film, but I look forward to more like it in the future.
Old 12-08-10, 07:24 PM

I saw it the other night and really loved it. One of my favorite flicks of the year.
Old 12-10-10, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Why does the film have to be [something] meets [something], but not really?
it's called having a reference point aiding the description of a film. thanks.
Old 12-10-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
it's called having a reference point aiding the description of a film. thanks.
No shit.
Old 12-10-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,159 Likes on 835 Posts

I watched this recently and thought it was a giant turd. I kept waiting/hoping for something to happen but it never did. Total waste of time.
Old 12-10-10, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i enjoyed this. went in with low expectations. it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as District 9. and the ending was a bit lackluster. still, an enjoyable rental at least.
Old 02-07-11, 03:53 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

could someone please tell me what happens at the end? i saw this, didn't love it, but for the life of me can't remember...
Old 02-07-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
could someone please tell me what happens at the end? i saw this, didn't love it, but for the life of me can't remember...
Spoiler:
monster sex
Old 02-07-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
Spoiler:
Andrew and Sam remain unharmed as they watch two of the huge monsters interact/mingle/mate while they're at an evacuated American gas station, even though it's obvious that they sensed humans were nearby. It ties back to the beginning, where the military swoops in to essentially obliterate the creatures that they watched (you can see Andrew carrying Sam's presumably lifeless/unconscious body during the night-vision sequences).
Old 02-07-11, 06:05 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Spoiler:
Andrew and Sam remain unharmed as they watch two of the huge monsters interact/mingle/mate while they're at an evacuated American gas station, even though it's obvious that they sensed humans were nearby. It ties back to the beginning, where the military swoops in to essentially obliterate the creatures that they watched (you can see Andrew carrying Sam's presumably lifeless/unconscious body during the night-vision sequences).
ah yeah. thanks. wait...what do you mean
Spoiler:
Andrew was carrying Sam's lifeless body?
Old 02-08-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this on DVD and really liked it. I was a little bothered by the scenes near the US/Mexico border because nothing near the border looks like that. I'm also wondering if the scenes of destruction on the US side were filmed in New Orleans. It sure looked like it.
Old 02-08-11, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Monster enters Netflix's streaming library on March 3rd.
Old 02-08-11, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
I watched this recently and thought it was a giant turd. I kept waiting/hoping for something to happen but it never did. Total waste of time.
funny. i was just talking to a friend about this film a few weeks ago. he said he cried at the end.

this is the most unlikely film to cry about... except for the 90+ minutes you'll never get back. fuck this film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.