Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I was curious about that. So Nolan DID shoot the film at least partially in 70mm?
At least? 5 perf, not 15.
Old 07-17-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I thought it was just OK. Maybe below that. I was never really invested in this movie with any of the characters and the I just don't think the whole premise was developed that well. I have no interest in seeing it again, nor any of his movies. The funny thing is that someone could cut together pieces of Shutter Island with this movies and they would fit together as it seemed like DiCaprio was playing exactly the same character.
I was thinking of Shutter Island during this movie too. That movie was much more involving to me. Inception was slow and I didn't feel involved with the characters. plus the pace was just way too slow. I was clock watching after an hour. They could easily cut a half hour out and it been better.
Old 07-17-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw the movie today ... wasn't impressed
Old 07-17-10, 11:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I was curious about that. So Nolan DID shoot the film at least partially in 70mm?
From what I understand, yes, he shot some of it in traditional 70mm. What sequences I could not tell you.
Old 07-17-10, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So for example..let's say I went to IMAX....would it visually open up the frame or not? Cuz if so...I need to see it.
Old 07-17-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
From what I understand, yes, he shot some of it in traditional 70mm. What sequences I could not tell you.
That's comforting to know... While "IMAX Experience" movies are typically gorgeous to see, they are nothing compared to films actually shot in 70mm or 70mm IMAX.
Old 07-17-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Anyone else tired of people just assuming scenes were shot in IMAX and then complaining about it not being shot with 15 perf after they see it?
What is this supposed to mean? I wasn't complaining. I just pointed out that the entire screen wasn't used. Not everyone is as educated as you about this. Relax.
Old 07-17-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I was thinking of Shutter Island during this movie too. That movie was much more involving to me. Inception was slow and I didn't feel involved with the characters. plus the pace was just way too slow. I was clock watching after an hour. They could easily cut a half hour out and it been better.
Even the people in my group who loved the film also said they felt it could have been 30 minutes shorter.
Old 07-17-10, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
So for example..let's say I went to IMAX....would it visually open up the frame or not? Cuz if so...I need to see it.
It does not open up at any point. Consistent aspect ratio all the way through. I hope he goes back to using IMAX for the next Batman.
Old 07-17-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since everyone is rating Nolan's films in here I might as well join in:

The Dark Knight ****
The Prestige ****
Memento ****
Batman Begins ***1/2
Inception ***
Following ***
Old 07-17-10, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It does not open up at any point. Consistent aspect ratio all the way through. I hope he goes back to using IMAX for the next Batman.
yeah...it made a huge ass difference for TDK. Really shows on the BD of it too. Love BD! Woo!
Old 07-17-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

amazing movie

overall better than Dark Knight? yes

would i throw it in the dvd player before Dark Knight? no
Old 07-17-10, 11:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redrum
amazing movie

would i throw it in the Blu-Ray player before Dark Knight? no
I think I might enjoy TDK more than Inception. Inception is the better one I think. Man...I want know how fast Nolan was turning that hall around for JGL to the stuff he did.
Old 07-17-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Overall, I was dissapointed but still really enjoyed it, its not close to being as good as the initial trailer & hype had me hoping it would be.

My single biggest problem was the modern trailer dilemna that pretty much every film has. Visually, every single cool thing in this film is in the trailer, which we've all seen a thousand times already. It completely takes away the "what comes next" factor of watching this film unfold. Something I had for example, with the Matrix, because I saw that film opening weekend knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Second major problem was the same problem I had with both Batman films, something I seem to be the only person on earth to notice since everyone thinks those are the greatest films ever made (they aren't people not even Dark Knight). NOLAN CANNOT SHOOT ACTION. I'm sorry, I had to yell it, why can't peopel see this? Every time there is gunfire or fighting he zooms the camera in & shakes the hell out of it.
I agree with all of these points. We both seemed to feel pretty similarly about the film (as well as it's marketing ruining some of the excitement of not knowing what's going to happen). Certainly, this was an extremely ambitious film and well made in many regards but it was disappointing for several reasons- the action being one of my biggest complaints. I actually thought Nolan stepped it up a bit with The Dark Knight and was showing a great deal of improvement. Certainly, I found that to have the best action out of any Nolan film to date. However, this did a complete reversal and was even worse in annoying shaky-cam/uninteresting action... which has always been the one thing about Batman Begins preventing me from considering that film a four star film (the story, acting, and overall direction was great in Batman Begins but the poor action took it down a few notches for my own taste). This took Inception down a few notches for me as well, but even more so this time out.

And to everyone noting the action as weak near the end of the film, and being very reminiscent of a Bond flick (the snow scenes) that is absolutely one of the films biggest weaknesses for me. I honestly wish this film had just had less action in it and more story.

Having said all of this I still enjoyed Inception.
Old 07-17-10, 11:54 PM
Banned

Uh...Katie Holmes was the weakest actor in BB. I don't have any emotions or opinions of her as an actress in her work...I did like her in pieces of April though....but...she just was kind of average mediocre in BB. She was the one whom I couldn't believe in, character wise.
Old 07-17-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
What is this supposed to mean? I wasn't complaining. I just pointed out that the entire screen wasn't used. Not everyone is as educated as you about this. Relax.
Not directed toward you specifically, but tons of people have been complaining about how it wasn't shot in IMAX, and how they just automatically assumed it would be. It gets a little irksome after awhile.
Old 07-17-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Uh...Katie Holmes was the weakest actor in BB. I don't have any emotions or opinions of her as an actress in her work...I did like her in pieces of April though....but...she just was kind of average mediocre in BB. She was the one whom I couldn't believe in, character wise.
True. Maggie Gyllenhaal was much better in the role.
Old 07-17-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I honestly wish this film had just had less action in it and more story.
Seriously? More story? This film has a damn fine story that's interesting and creative. I don't see how this film lacks in the story department. Character development, yes, story, no.
Old 07-17-10, 11:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

ya wtf

Nolan worked on this for 10 years, the story is amazing
Old 07-18-10, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Seriously? More story? This film has a damn fine story that's interesting and creative. I don't see how this film lacks in the story department. Character development, yes, story, no.
Yeah.....I think if it had any more story..it might be overload. It's story was packed as fuck.
Old 07-18-10, 12:07 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by redrum
amazing movie

would i throw it in the dvd player before Dark Knight? no
I think I might enjoy TDK more than Inception. Inception is the better one I think. Man...I want know how fast Nolan was turning that hall around for JGL to the stuff he did.
Really? Inception better than TDK? TDK has an unpredictable plot, memorable characters, an iconic performance, the best action Nolan has shot to date. Inception has Ellen Page not sucking.
Old 07-18-10, 12:15 AM
Banned

I think so, bro. I think I could easily enjoy TDK more than I ever could for Inception, I love me some Batman. And while TDK has better performances and awesome action sequences. I give the edge to Inception towards it's design, story, effects, and direction. SPECIFICALLY direction.

I've no idea where all this hate is for Page. I don't like her or dislike her. I DO like a few of the films she's a lead in...well...I guess just Juno and Whip It. I think she's a good actress (keyword good). She did good in Inception.
Old 07-18-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
True. Maggie Gyllenhaal was much better in the role.
Yes, clearly the better actress of the two. But better looking? Not in "The Dark Knight" she wasn't. When the Joker said to her "Hello beautiful! And you are beautiful". So many people laughed in my theater. Because she looked like Olive Oil in the film.
Old 07-18-10, 12:19 AM

The best theory I came up with is that when they went to get the chemist in Mombasa, Cobb wanted to be put under to try it out. He quickly gets effed by some Mal memories and appears to wake up in shock and go splash his face with water. He goes to spin his top but before he could, Saito interrupts. Cobb never gets to prove he came out of it and thus the rest is a dream.

And I agree with whoever said there is proof in the end that it's a dream is that the children are wearing the same out fits and are in the same spot/lighting as in all of Cobb's other dreams.
Old 07-18-10, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ardathbey
And I agree with whoever said there is proof in the end that it's a dream is that the children are wearing the same out fits and are in the same spot/lighting as in all of Cobb's other dreams.

Not to mention the fact that they are the same damn age. He was on the run for quite some time, made it seem like years. Same age, same clothes, same position = dream.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.