Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-16-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

While kind of off topic, does anyone else find the similarities between Leo's character in this and his previous outing, Shutter Island, somewhat interesting?

Spoiler:
Both have issues with dead wives, Leo seems to have kept the facial hair, and in a lot of the scenes, he seems to be wearing the same outfit he had on at the end of Island before, ironically, he was about to presumably be lobotomized and sent into a dream state.
Old 07-16-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from an afternoon showing and loved it. I was a little surprised how straightforward the main plot was, but there was still a lot of little threads woven throughout the film that kept it very engaging. My biggest complaint is that I wish it was an hour longer. I wanted to know more about that world and get a deeper sense of all the team members. And like a lot of you, my theater let out a big gasp at the ending. I'm actually planning on seeing it a second time in theaters, and that's something that I haven't done since The Matrix.
Old 07-16-10, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Two theories I have heard. I will be seeing the movie again at 8:40 tonight. I admit that having seen it once I can't say for certain whether either holds up.
Spoiler:
The theory where the entire movie is a dream is one I heard floated first, although there was a little more to it: Cobb lives in the real world, a world where no incepting or extracting or dream entrance is possible. The dream is just a dream, his way of working through his wife's suicide (which had its roots in something else, but was basically the same). Technically, we never see the real Cobb in this theory. It's just 100% dream.

The second theory my friend was pitching to me last night was that Cobb is the target for inception, and someone is saving Cobb, the broken man, from being tormented by his wife's death, by slipping in the idea that he had to let go. The Cillian Murphy character is part of the team.
I like that second theory.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While kind of off topic, does anyone else find the similarities between Leo's character in this and his previous outing, Shutter Island, somewhat interesting?

Spoiler:
Both have issues with dead wives, Leo seems to have kept the facial hair, and in a lot of the scenes, he seems to be wearing the same outfit he had on at the end of Island before, ironically, he was about to presumably be lobotomized and sent into a dream state.
There are a lot of similarities with Shutter Island, but imo, Shutter Island does it better than Inception.
Old 07-16-10, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why audiences are gasping at the ending?? The ending is certainly open to interpretation but hardly worthy of a "shocked gasp".
Old 07-16-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

There are a lot of similarities with Shutter Island, but imo, Shutter Island does it better than Inception.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, though I like them both. I too think it falls short of a masterpiece, but it comes close. Nolan knows how to craft an intriguing film, one cannot deny that.

I just find it disturbing that a lot of teens would most likely prefer a movie with Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell, and Zach Galifinakis that alternated between Ferrell making goofy faces and comments, Carrell saying stuff that's idiotic, and then Zach running around in a thong screaming incoherent stuff. Picture all of this in 15 minute increments with a few farts, and you have what teens want. Don't get me wrong, I think they're funny in their own ways, but I don't want that brand of movie to replace good stuff like this.
Old 07-16-10, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
I don't get why audiences are gasping at the ending?? The ending is certainly open to interpretation but hardly worthy of a "shocked gasp".
In my case, it was the realization that they wouldn't be given a clear ending after watching the top spin for a decent amount of time and then start to wobble. So the gasp was followed by some excited laughter and then applause.
Old 07-16-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

we had "oh shit" laughs at the end of ours - effective ending.

Very entertaining movie, but disappointingly straight forward. I didn't think it was as stoic and serious as people made it out to be, a few laughs here and there. The falling van made sense but was a little laughable in spots. Nowhere near a masterpiece but a very memorable action flick, what more can you really ask for during the Summer, especially this year.

Definitely more flat out entertaining than Iron Man 2, Predators and Toy Story 3... tho in my book, that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-17-10 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Probably one of the most confusing movies I have ever seen. I was lost in the beginning, kind of picked up what was happening later in the movie and then got lost at the end. The theatre that I sat in everyone was like "Oh Shit" with the ending, but I didn't see the big deal. It seemed to me like this film was a bigger budget and a little more character-driven/artistic version of the 80's film Dreamscape.

Plot-wise, I couldn't tell you what the movie was about. But, the visuals and special effects made the movie a treat to watch.

I need to watch this film again when it comes on BR, so that I can can get a better grasp of it.
Old 07-16-10, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got what the film was about. You do have to keep up w/ what's being said though. One of those rare movies here in the states where it's important to pay attention.
Old 07-16-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back from it. I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I enjoyed it, and I understood the movie's plot-line and how the story flows, but it just seemed so... odd. I would have loved more information on Inception and how it started (and not for more lengthy exposition, but to have had more familiarity with this world's "beats"). Anyway, definitely a good movie, but one that I was somewhat baffled by. I certainly was expecting something different. I have seen every Christopher Nolan movie, and loved them all except this one... which may grow on me, at least I hope it will, but for a first viewing just seemed somewhat distant and cold (though it has all the Christopher Nolan traits I have come to love as well).

... and I agree with those of you noting the similarities between this and Shutter Island. That disappointed me about the film too. I guess my expectations may have simply been too high for this.
Old 07-16-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Loved it but I have some of the same gripes about character development as others.

Originally Posted by Blu Man
As for this talk of lack of emotion, it a pointless argument.
No it's not, there has to be someone for the audience to connect to, this movie was definitely lacking in that department. I think one of the contributing factors was character names. Outside of Tom, Mal & Fisher I couldn't tell you who anyone else was. They didn't use names outside of once at the beginning of the flick.

Also, even at nearly 3 hours it felt like Nolan just thrust us into the middle of the movie. There was no build up you just hit the floor running at the 0:00 mark, kinda like '9.'

My only another mild annoyance was Ellen Page's character (name? see above). There was this giant buildup of her becoming this grand architect but it seemingly went nowhere and by the third act she was nothing more than playing Jimminy Cricket, aka Cobb's conscience. Even went to the trouble of seeing her making her chess piece but never really explained what it meant or how it worked for her. Sure it wasn't her story, but part of this stems from what I said above about trying to connect with someone in the film.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The second theory my friend was pitching to me last night was that Cobb is the target for inception, and someone is saving Cobb, the broken man, from being tormented by his wife's death, by slipping in the idea that he had to let go. The Cillian Murphy character is part of the team.[/spoiler]
This is the closest to how I walked away with it.
Spoiler:
Leo's story paralleled Fischer's. That was Nolan's way of cluing us into what was going on. Kinda like M.Night telling us that Bruce Willis is a ghost right to our face in the middle of 6th Sense. Or hell, even Nolan's own Memento, Lenny's story is Sammy Jenkis' story. Fischer's story is Cobb's story.

I believe Cobb's dad went in and planted this idea (or had someone do it for him) of Fischer and one last 'gig' as a way to get him to his kids and get over his wife's death. So essentially the entire movie was a dream. He had to plant the idea and make it seem like it was Cobb's idea to pull this last job. He just kept hammering home 'the kids' to his son.

I'm still torn what this means for the final scene though. The plan worked (the Fischer plan worked, so in effect so did Cobb's) so I would think this makes it lean to the final scene being reality, and as such, the ONLY scene in the film that takes place in reality.

Rip it to shreds. I'm probably not expressing what I mean correctly anyway.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-16-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GenPion
I would have loved more information on Inception and how it started
I think you mean EXTRACTION, because we pretty much are told what the only other case of Inception was and how it was started I know, I'm being a nitpicky jerk.

I loved the movie - it looked amazing in IMAX and the sound was phenomenal. Hans Zimmer outdid himself with a really fantastic, iconic and bombastic score. I need to get the soundtrack asap.

I really appreciated how they managed to keep most of the plot details under wraps, it was refreshing to see a movie not spoiled by the marketing team. I was surprised by how much of an ensemble piece it was. Everyone did a great job but Gordon-Levitt stole the show IMO (I guess it doesn't hurt that I've been a big fan of his since BRICK).

My three major complaints about the movie, and the things that stop my from raving about it are this:
1. Starting the movie in typical Nolan non-linear fashion. I thought it was unnecessary to the storytelling for us to start with Cobb finding Sato as an old man. The only way this needs to open the picture is if there is more going on then we're led to believe.
2. The picture is a little cold. I found Mal to be little more than annoying or obnoxious (despite being played by the gorgeous Cotillard), so I never get emotionally invested in their storyline as much as we SHOULD have. Same with the Cillian Murphy subplot with his father - the pinwheel scene COULD have evoked a greater response if we knew more about Fischer going into it.
3. The finale in the snowscape/reactor setting felt a little too James Bond/Over the top for the picture's own good. I thought it was edging slowly into action picture parody and the timing of those thoughts couldn't have been worse IMO.

All said though, those are 3 minor complaints and I'll be seeing it a second time tomorrow. If it holds up I can see it being a movie I revisit a lot. Not Nolan's best movie but in a year that has mostly sucked, INCEPTION is easily the best movie of 2010. (so far). 5/5 stars

Last edited by mdc3000; 07-16-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 11:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

even seeing it in IMAX - I still couldn't tell what scenes were shot in 65mm
Old 07-16-10, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back from it.

Must say, the worst movie experience I have had this year.

First off, the guy next to me must have thought the movie was the funniest fucking thing he's ever seen as every 10 minutes he would just randomly start laughing until I told him to "knock it the fuck off"

Secondly I have to say, out of all the movies I have seen in the theater this year (A-Team and Iron Man 2) as a movie this was the least enjoyable. However, that is not to say Inception is a bad movie. It's a very polished, smart, and visually awesome movie - just not enjoyable.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

As far as the ending:
Spoiler:
it was obviously a dream the whole time
Old 07-16-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000

2. The picture is a little cold. I found Mal to be little more than annoying or obnoxious (despite being played by the gorgeous Cotillard), so I never get emotionally invested in their storyline as much as we SHOULD have. Same with the Cillian Murphy subplot with his father - the pinwheel scene COULD have evoked a greater response if we knew more about Fischer going into it.
3. The finale in the snowscape/reactor setting felt a little too James Bond/Over the top for the picture's own good. I thought it was edging slowly into action picture parody and the timing of those thoughts couldn't have been worse IMO.
Agree on points and 2 and 3. I guess I can add an exploration of the Cobb-Father in Law relationship instead of the one significant scene we got between the two. There has to be an intriguing back story between those two.

On the third point, I totally agree I think the film started to drag a little during that setting.

Still a great film that explores some themes on memories and ideas. I like that they made this into a heist film as well.

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I too can't remember and would like to know.

I'm wondering if KillerCannibal ever went to see the flick despite the involvement of Ellen Page. He's missing out if he doesn't see this on the big screen and Page was actually not too bad in the flick.
I have never seen Ellen Page in a movie before (outside of those annoying cell phone commercials) but she was fine here as the rookie/ingenue and served as a representation for the audience or viewer.

I probably give it 4 or 4.5 stars. Not the best film I've seen this year though.
Old 07-16-10, 11:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Just got back from it.

Must say, the worst movie experience I have had this year.

First off, the guy next to me must have thought the movie was the funniest fucking thing he's ever seen as every 10 minutes he would just randomly start laughing until I told him to "knock it the fuck off"

Secondly I have to say, out of all the movies I have seen in the theater this year (A-Team and Iron Man 2) as a movie this was the least enjoyable. However, that is not to say Inception is a bad movie. It's a very polished, smart, and visually awesome movie - just not enjoyable.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

As far as the ending:
Spoiler:
it was obviously a dream the whole time
hmm, I thought both were highly overrated - A-Team more so
Old 07-16-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it tonight. Loved it.

Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
I thought it was fairly clear that at the end, he's in reality. The key to this is the concept of Cobb's totem. We're told that it's the top, but really, that was his wife's totem. Cobb's actual totems are the faces of his children. The kids show up in all of his dreams, but he never sees their faces. Finally, at the end of the movie, he does see their faces. That's why, even though he spun the top, he doesn't need to look back at it to know that he's not dreaming. Nolan cuts to black as the top starts to wobble, which I think is a clue, but the point is that neither Cobb nor the audience needs to see the top fall to know that we're back in reality.
Old 07-17-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the film that I could not wait for it to be over. For me it's a 90 minute film that goes on for about 150 minutes. That's never a good thing.

For me, a lot of sizzle on the screen, but not really a lot of meat, nor compelling chararterizations, plus seeing Leonardo Dicaprio in this film, and earlier this year in "Shutter Island" playing characters with similar angsty tragic backstories didn't light my fire.

I didn't care who lived or died in this movie, it's that sort of film which is more interested in slo-mo and bombastic music scores, but it got so tedious and jarringly numb at times.

My audience let out a huge groan at the end. Ugh.

Regardless of the cool visuals packed in this film, I won't revisit it anytime soon.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 07-17-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Initial reaction: 3.0/5.0 from me.

My thoughts on the ending:
Spoiler:
Saito killed Cobb and sent him to limbo.
Old 07-17-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only part that outstayed its welcome for me was the 3rd level, the whole Bond-ish sequence felt out of place.
Old 07-17-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

My thoughts on the ending:
The way Nolan ended the final shot was such a huge wink to the audience, it was practically telling you to come up with your own ending - it was almost laugh-worthy, actually, most of my theater did laugh.

Anyhoo, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not quite the deep, philosophical, complex, mind-fuck people were hyping it up to be and, except for the choose-your-own-ending, I thought it was pretty straightforward stuff. The only annoying stuff was the constant slo-mo. And I swear, if someone set one more explosive before they went off, I would've lost my mind.

I mostly dug how it was essentially a heist flick; explain the con, build your crew, plan and execute the heist. And it was certainly a confident cinematic experience, which I always appreciate.
Old 07-17-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The only part that outstayed its welcome for me was the 3rd level, the whole Bond-ish sequence felt out of place.
All the scenes shot in the snow were colossally boring.

And poor Ken Watanabe, who was practically laying on his back or propped up against a wall or post for most of the film.
Old 07-17-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was entertained enough by them but they certainly didn't add anything, didn't help that I had to piss like a race horse at that point.
Old 07-17-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

saw this tonight and didn't love it. I will give it a few more shots, but I never felt anything special was happening on the screen, often dreadfully boring. Most of the best shots were in the trailer.

I also found the similarities between Leo's character in this, and Shutter Island extremely noticeable, but it's mere coincidence. I liked Shutter Island mored, btw, and really he was excellent throughout Inception.

Loved the ending though.

its not a bad film, I think my expectations were just a tad high.
Old 07-17-10, 01:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love how they spend so much time building Ellen Page's character up as this super talented maze architect, only to have her tell them where all the shortcuts are.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.