Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

....it came out last year didn't it? That wouldn't count for it.
Old 07-09-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....it came out last year didn't it? That wouldn't count for it.
Not necessarily. City of God came out in brazil in 2002. Miramax didn't release it here til 2003 and because City of God was not the official selection of Brazil, it was eligible for the oscars in 2003. So Dragon Tattoo i do believe will be allowed come oscar time
Old 07-09-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I watched this the other day. As with most book-to-film adaptations, it's not nearly as good as the book, but it wasn't bad either.

I can't imagine this getting a best picture nomination - it just isn't that good, but what do I know?
Old 07-09-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

I think it's more of consideration for Noomi Rapace than anything.
Old 07-09-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Fire is out today. I like that the sequel to my favorite movie of the year comes out a few months later.
Old 07-09-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think it's more of consideration for Noomi Rapace than anything.
She was great, I'll give her that. Almost exactly as I'd imagined her while I was reading the book.
Old 07-09-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone seen 'Daisy Diamond' yet?

Wow.

Noomi apparently has a thing for... avant-garde let's say, maybe 'perverted' is a better word, kind of roles.
Old 07-09-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got to see the movie last night watching the Blu-Ray.

Gotta say, I was pretty dissapointed in it given all the gushing & praise here & other places. The book is 100X better. The movie is bland to OK, nothing more. Everything I loved about the book wasn't really in the film. My main problem was Blomkvist. In the books his story & characters are great & the book doesn't drag when he is the focus. The film is boring & procedural whenever Lisbeth isn't on-screen. The actor is awful with no presence or charisma. Blomkvist in the novels literally bangs & charms every single main femail character in the first two novels (& another wants to bang him but he refuses). Main characters & left out of the film (which I guess is unavoidable) & so many things happen in the film that just are never explained (but are very much explained in the novel).

The chick that played Lisbeth was indeed very good, maybe a little too butch (she is dainty & anorexic looking in the novels) not muscular & butch. But it is a daring performance & the only thing that elevates any part of the film from being nothing more than a routine procedural & content aside could have been an episode of a TV series at best.

Now, after finally seeing the film I completely change my mind about the US remake. I was totally against it. Now I'm interested to see if Fincher can do a better adaptation with a better Blomkvist & Lisbeth relationship.
Old 07-09-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17

Gotta say, I was pretty dissapointed in it given all the gushing & praise here & other places. The book is 100X better. The movie is bland to OK, nothing more. Everything I loved about the book wasn't really in the film. My main problem was Blomkvist. In the books his story & characters are great & the book doesn't drag when he is the focus. The film is boring & procedural whenever Lisbeth isn't on-screen. The actor is awful with no presence or charisma. Blomkvist in the novels literally bangs & charms every single main femail character in the first two novels (& another wants to bang him but he refuses). Main characters & left out of the film (which I guess is unavoidable) & so many things happen in the film that just are never explained (but are very much explained in the novel).

The chick that played Lisbeth was indeed very good, maybe a little too butch (she is dainty & anorexic looking in the novels) not muscular & butch. But it is a daring performance & the only thing that elevates any part of the film from being nothing more than a routine procedural & content aside could have been an episode of a TV series at best.

Now, after finally seeing the film I completely change my mind about the US remake. I was totally against it. Now I'm interested to see if Fincher can do a better adaptation with a better Blomkvist & Lisbeth relationship.
Everyone I know that has read the books said that Noomi was the perfect choice to play Lisbeth. I haven't read them yet, but I thought the lead actor was terrific. And I watched the film again for the third time last night. For me, it just gets better with each viewing. It's one of the best thrillers and mysteries I've ever seen.
Old 07-09-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17

Pretty similar to my thoughts from a few months ago when I saw it. Except for Lisbeth, I thought she fit really well and didn't think she was muscular in the film.
Old 07-14-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Local theater is showing Dragon Tattoo all next week to lead up to their release of Plays With Fire the following week, that's kind of cool... gotta love the local run/operated theaters that sell food and beer and show indie flicks.
Old 07-15-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One theater in PA was doing a double-bill: Tattoo and Fire.
Old 07-15-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Fire came out here last Friday. I'm probably going to catch it next week.
Old 07-15-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Not sure what all the fuss is about, parts of it played like a longer version of the TV show

Spoiler:
Cold Case

with just more sex and violence. I did like the actress that played Lisbeth though, thought she was great for the part. I would give it 2.5 out of 5. Average nothing you have not seen before in other mysteries/thrillers.

Last edited by d2cheer; 07-15-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The plot itself was pretty basic, I personally enjoyed how well paced, developed and executed everything was. The conceit being you knew most of the ending early on.
Old 07-20-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

I gotta say I was disappointed with this film. It was basic by the numbers thriller. The interesting parts are with Lisbeth as when the plot focuses solely on Mikhael in Hedeby it plods along. I felt that they cut out an important scene near the end of the novel (imo) that is central towards the next two books. I can't say they didn't follow the novel closely because it was a pretty good adaption. The film didn't click with me whatsoever. Probably a 2 out of 5.
Old 07-22-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this today having not read or heard anything about the books, so I'm going by just the merits of the film. I have heard critics and this board gushing about it for so long, that maybe I did set myself up for disappointment, as the Art House DVDTalk article put it.

I thought it was a very basic thriller/mystery. I really didn't find anything special about it. Honestly, I can't see how people on this board consider it one of the best thrillers they've ever seen. There isn't anything that elevates it above other pieces in the genre.

I thought it was okay. Along with others here, the killer was easily identifiable about two thirds of the way in. It was paced well, but aside from the girl, I didn't find anything exceptional about the acting.

I definitely wouldn't watch it again. Also, I'll probably skip the sequels unless the trailers really 'wow' me.
Old 07-22-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 302 Posts

Gotta agree with Tarantino. Ive never read the book, and only heard the title in conjunction with lots of praise. I went into the movie blind, and thought it was just OK. I may be interested in the US remake depending on casting.
Old 07-22-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It wasn't one of the best thrillers ever, but it is the one to come out this year.
Old 07-22-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
It wasn't one of the best thrillers ever, but it is the one to come out this year.
I am not sure if that is supposed to be high praise... I can't name one "good" thriller that even came out this year or recently.
Old 07-25-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Saw this last night.....the film just came across to me as not knowing what it wanted to be. To be fair as well, without having read the book....I can see how the book would be much better than the film (usually the case anyway though isn't it?).

It wasn't a bad film but it wasn't that great either and the last 5 or so minutes were just laughable.

One thing I will give credit to though....I never once wanted to stop following the story to find out who was responsible.
Old 07-25-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I watched this today having not read or heard anything about the books, so I'm going by just the merits of the film. I have heard critics and this board gushing about it for so long, that maybe I did set myself up for disappointment, as the Art House DVDTalk article put it.

I thought it was a very basic thriller/mystery. I really didn't find anything special about it. Honestly, I can't see how people on this board consider it one of the best thrillers they've ever seen.
I completely agree, I'm really shocked by the gushing praise, I just read someone call it a "great" film, I was disappointed being a big fan of the book & if I've never read the book I would have found the film very pain-by-the-numbers with extremely dull performances except one.
Old 07-25-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

With Blookmvist though, they skipped through a plotline in the book (the Wennestrom affair) that helps to shape and develop his character.
Old 07-26-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

Craig is officially onboard. Personally, I think that's terrific casting.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...dragon-tattoo/
Old 07-27-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Craig is officially onboard. Personally, I think that's terrific casting.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...dragon-tattoo/
I do too. Blomkvist's presence would be the only thing I'd say that's lacking in the Swedish original, and I think that Craig can give it just the punch needed. Of course, all of that's moot without the proper casting for Lisbeth, which will hopefully be filled in the near future.

Also, some more pointed overall film news from Slashfilm:

It’s a good time to be David Fincher. Though the film hasn’t yet been released, he’s reportedly made Sony very happy with The Social Network. (If the trailer is any indication, he may make audiences very happy, too.) And he’s putting together a new film version of Stieg Larsson’s novel The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The central role of Lisbeth Salander has yet to be cast, and many young actresses seem to want it. Basically, Fincher has his pick of just about anyone working now.

We’ve wondered what Fincher’s version of the story would look like, and Sony co-chairman Amy Pascal has some interesting things to say, including that it will be rather intense.

Speaking to The Wrap, Pascal said that Sony and Fincher are going to do “a global search” for the new Lisbeth Salander (which, by all accounts, has been going on for a while) and that the director’s take on the material will be faithful and serious.

We’re doing the book. That’s why we hired David Fincher. We’re going to really do this, in all their glory. Otherwise why do it? They’re very R-rated movies. It’s the shock of what’s really going on underneath the surface of society. If you don’t actually make good on that, you haven’t told the story.

This makes Fincher’s take sound more promising. Not because he might serve up a lot of violence and intensity, which the original Swedish film version certainly has.

But I thought the primary failing of the original was a reluctance to really engage with what was going on. The book’s title directly translates to Men Who Hate Women, and there’s no small amount of violence against women done in the film. But despite being graphic, the presentation felt very removed. I’d like to see Fincher and screenwriter Steve Zaillian more directly engage the idea behind the thriller, and Pascal seems to be promising exactly that.

There are also a few other details in the long interview. For one, Pascal says she expects Fincher to direct all three films adapting the three novels by Larsson. Asked if she would expect Fincher to direct the trilogy, Pascal says, “Yeah, I would like it. I’m hoping he will. And he’s hoping he will.”

Once everyone is cast, it sounds like this is a machine Pascal wants to get into motion quickly. “Well, I’m going to try to get these movies out as fast as possible. But, you know, we’ll have the first one next Christmas. And hopefully, the next two as quick as I can get them. We’re trying to figure that out now.”

And, for what it’s worth, Pascal shies away from saying that Daniel Craig has been cast as Mikael Blomkvist. When asked if they’ve confirmed the lead in the movie, before asking about Salander’s role, Pascal says, “No, we have not.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.