Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I just read in the latest issues of EW that Brad Pitt who I can't stand is the leading candidate for Blomquist. What a horrible choice, I know according to DVDTalk he is like the greatest actor of all time, but he is so wrong for the role IMO. Way too pretty, and no charisma at all when he isn't playing an over-the-top eccentric character. I wouldn't mine Ralph Fiennes or Sean Bean for the part.
Sigh. Let the abomination begin. Brad fucking Pitt!??? I absolutely will NOT see the Hollywood version now. I don't care if the great David Fincher directs it or not. Horrible horrible casting (so far).
Old 05-16-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Fiennes would be great. I know they "have" to do a remake as they always do with these thrillers (Americans don't like reading them there subtitled movies do they?) but I have little interest in seeing it, they'll sand away all the rough edges and once you do that you have a fairly conventional buddy detective thriller I'd think.
Old 05-16-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I know Carey Mulligan is rumored to be playing Lisbeth in the remake. While I love her as an actress, I don't think she's a fit for this role. I'd like to nominate Emily Blunt.
Old 05-16-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, Pitt would be wrong for the role unless they plan on just using the story as a base and skipping a lot of the book's characterizations. And if its localized to take place in the US. I wonder if his name just came up because of Fincher's involvement and not anything of substance. And I think Pitt has a lot of charisma, but mostly when it comes to a more comedic slant (Burn After Reading, or the Ocean's movies).

Then again, in the book Blomqvist seems to manage to bang a bunch of chicks, so I imagine he should be a somewhat decent looking gentleman.

I finished reading The Girl Who Played With Fire yesterday; I should try and find the Swedish version of the movie to watch.
Old 05-16-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, Pitt would be wrong for the role unless they plan on just using the story as a base and skipping a lot of the book's characterizations. And if its localized to take place in the US. I wonder if his name just came up because of Fincher's involvement and not anything of substance. And I think Pitt has a lot of charisma, but mostly when it comes to a more comedic slant (Burn After Reading, or the Ocean's movies).

Then again, in the book Blomqvist seems to manage to bang a bunch of chicks, so I imagine he should be a somewhat decent looking gentleman.

I finished reading The Girl Who Played With Fire yesterday; I should try and find the Swedish version of the movie to watch.
It's on Ebay. I've seen it. It's just o.k. at best. Not great like the original.

Back to Pitt being cast as Blomquist. I think the reason an average at best looking guy in this role is best is because the character Lisbeth has such a hard time trusting men. A good looking guy would just not work.
Old 05-16-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
It's on Ebay. I've seen it. It's just o.k. at best. Not great like the original.

Back to Pitt being cast as Blomquist. I think the reason an average at best looking guy in this role is best is because the character Lisbeth has such a hard time trusting men. A good looking guy would just not work.
Yeah, but I didn't think the first was that great anyway.

I don't see how Lisbeth having a hard time trusting men would have anything to do with looks. On that note, I think the suggestion of Crowe from up higher would work, since I thought Crowe did well in a thinking/researchers role in A Beautiful Mind.
Old 05-16-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hope to fucking god that Kristen Stewart does not get cast as Lisbeth.
Old 05-16-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I think they should cast either Tegan or Sara as the female lead.

Old 05-16-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but I didn't think the first was that great anyway.

I don't see how Lisbeth having a hard time trusting men would have anything to do with looks. On that note, I think the suggestion of Crowe from up higher would work, since I thought Crowe did well in a thinking/researchers role in A Beautiful Mind.
I was just speculating that a less than great looking guy would make better sense for Lisbeth to get closer to. And let's face it, the lead actor in "Girl/Tattoo" was not a great looking guy. And funmanstan, if you didn't think the first film was great, then I think (or hope) that you will hate the second film. I've posted my thoughts on it in several threads. It had a different director, which changed the tone to a movie of the week tone. The story is so much more intense than the first, and the guy couldn't handle the subject matter. Very sad.
Old 05-16-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

I think they should cast either Tegan or Sara as the female lead.

Abso-fucking-lutely! But....how about getting the orginal actress?? Is that so far out of the question.
Old 05-17-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On that note, I think the suggestion of Crowe from up higher would work.
As I posted in the beginning of this thread, when reading the book when it first came out in the states I always pictured Blomquist looking like Crowe in that reporter movie with Ben Affleck. Pudgy-Crowe is perfect for the role. The book describes Blomquist as not being the best looking man, but being very charming & confidant. I think Sean Bean would be good also or as I mentioned Fiennes. That said I have very little interest in the US remake anyway.
Old 05-17-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Abso-fucking-lutely! But....how about getting the orginal actress?? Is that so far out of the question.
i dunno how her english is though.
Old 05-18-10, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The book describes Blomquist as not being the best looking man, but being very charming & confidant.
He's described as average looking, but supremely confident. So much so that not many people question his crazy scheme to redeem his reputation. They just trust he knows what he's doing and it will work out for both himself and Millennium.

I know Pitt has worked with Fincher before, but I hope he doesn't cast him as Blomquist. He'd work in another male role.

The one huge flaw of the Swedish version was that the actor playing Blomquist had little charisma. That problem would be present in US version IMO if Pitt was Blomquist.

Any of the suggestions (Crowe, Fiennes, Bean) would be great. Stellan Skarsgaard would also be a good choice. If they go younger, Daniel Craig would be good as well.

Besides Lisbeth, there's some great female roles in the books, especially for actresses in their 40s.

Last edited by anyanka323; 05-20-10 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 02:45 PM

How about Val Kilmer for Blomquist?

Recently saw him in The Bad Lieutenant, in a very small role, so he maybe serious about working with good directors. He can be a very effective actor in the right role and with the right director.

Would also like to see them use Noomi Rapace in the remake as well. I don't think she had a whole lot of dialogue in that movie, so maybe able to get away with limited english.
Old 05-18-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As I posted in the beginning of this thread, when reading the book when it first came out in the states I always pictured Blomquist looking like Crowe in that reporter movie with Ben Affleck.
Yeah, you're who I meant
Old 05-27-10, 10:50 PM

I just saw it and really enjoyed it. It's the first movie I've seen in a while that didn't have constant explosions and gun fire. The rape scene was very hard for me to watch but was ultimately satisfying. I really liked that everything wasn't overly explained and some things were left for you to draw your own conclusions. Now I can read the book.

Brad Pitt would be SO wrong. And I agree that Kristen Stewart would be an awful choice unless she learned how to act better. At least I saw the better version of the movie first. I'll be shocked if that doesn't remain a true statement.
Old 05-28-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read in the latest issues of EW that Brad Pitt who I can't stand is the leading candidate for Blomquist. What a horrible choice, I know according to DVDTalk he is like the greatest actor of all time, but he is so wrong for the role IMO. Way too pretty, and no charisma at all when he isn't playing an over-the-top eccentric character. I wouldn't mine Ralph Fiennes or Sean Bean for the part.
it's gotta be someone who is visibly a 40 something guy....since that's what the character is. George Clooney is the other main name being mentioned - apparently he and Pitt are actually fighting over the role - and he's TOO good looking/charismatic for it. The guy needs to be a little more dour and self-effacing, but also ruggedly handsome. Personally, I think Stellen Skarsgard is the perfect actor for the role...but that'll never happen.

This opens at our local art house theater tomorrow, and I'm totally geeked to see it finally! I thought I was going to have to wait for the blu ray this summer...but instead will hit the first matinee tomorrow
Old 05-28-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh, and I hate that Fincher is going to make this...I just know he's going to get too cute and try too hard with his camera going through keyholes crap and make it too flashy. At least he's apparently set on getting an unknown for the role of Lisbeth, so that's minorly promising....frankly, since the swedish film is so well reviewed I don't fully understand why they feel the need to make it again already anyway. but that would mean they have to come up with actual original thoughts and ideas in hollywood, and we know that ain't happening.
Old 05-28-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't really mind remakes of foreign films that very few people will end up seeing.
Old 05-28-10, 04:02 AM

If an American remake happens, then I would hope the producers would have enough sense to transport it across the ocean to NY or Los Angeles.

There's a near-great version of the story set in Sweden already. I don't want to see Americans trying to fake Swedish accents.

And given some of the plot points, setting it in
Spoiler:
Los Angeles with references to Manson-era California is appropriately creepy.

As for Salander... I'd love to see Jess Weixler cast. She's around the right age and can be as 'demanding' as the role requires.
Many of the 'It' girls now trying for the part just don't cut it.
That said...
Spoiler:
There's no way in hell any male star would sign up for a role where the female lead wakes him from sound sleep and fucks him the way it went down in the Swedish version. Or where he's the dummy of the relationship. Or where he's actually a victim.. Or where he needs saving. Or...

I like Brad Pitt as an actor, but not for this part. I like George Clooney, but he'd never do it for reasons I've mentioned. Jeff Bridges would have owned the role 15 years ago. Not sure about today.
Old 05-28-10, 04:34 AM

I find it interesting to note that there are mistakes in subtitles when they're to English as well as when they're from English...
Old 05-28-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I was thinking that Sam Rockwell would be great
Old 05-30-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it today and loved it. A couple of discrepancies, but I thought they managed to balance the necessities of the story brilliantly - because of course otherwise it would have to be 6 hours long like any other adaptation. The girl who played Lisbeth was absolutely perfect, and I thought Mikael was too - pretty much just how I pictured him for the most part....40 something, on the down side of handsome - just....normal. I thought Henrik Vanger should have had more presence...Max Von Sydow kind of guy....but otherwise they did a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing the next one.

speaking of which, why is it that we are only now getting the Swedish version here when ALL THREE have already played in Europe? Of course they'll draw this out forever and we'll have to wait a year just to see the second one here. dammit.
Old 05-30-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brizz, the second comes out here in June and the third in July.
Old 05-30-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my mom was wondering for anyone who has either read the 3rd book (i think it was released here in the states this past week) or seen the 3rd movie, is there a definitive ending to the series, as she read somewhere that the original plan was to do a 10 book series, but the author died, so thats why we only got a trilogy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.