Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Godfather

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: The Godfather

Originally Posted by trespoochies
EDIT: Gah, Dex posted this already. So this is a re-run.

What timing. For those interested who have HBO. This Sunday.

http://www.hbo.com/schedule/on-deman...oductId=392254

The Godfather Epic

TELEVISION
Sunday, January 17, 4:00PM CT - HBO EAST
ON DEMAND
Starts 1/18/2016
Crime, Drama | 424 minutes | HD
R: Adult Content, Brief Nudity, Graphic Language, Graphic Violence

Francis Ford Coppola's legendary gangster epic "The Godfather" and its Oscar(R)-winning sequel "The Godfather II" are edited into this single film--told chronologically and with added footage that was cut from the original films.

Had somehow never heard of this before. Going to be my first DVR recording that lasts 7 hours, 10 minutes.
Old 01-17-16, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this now. Quite a long slog, the pacing is just off. Quite a few worthless scenes added back in, like that pointless five-minute bit with Michael and Kaye acting all cutesy and lovey and dovey in bed which kinda throws off the subsequent Luca Brasi murder.
Old 01-17-16, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I got done with it earlier. Since this was in chronological order, I was expecting the birthday scene to open Part I, instead it remains as the 2nd-to-last sequence of Part II. No complaints since it mirrors Michael's loneliness in Part II's final shot.

I do wish the young Hyman Roth sequence would've been left in the final cut though.

And as I mentioned on the current Oscar challenge discussion thread, I never noticed Carlo's line, "All you Corleones are murderers" as he's beating up Connie. It was also cool to see how far Rocco (The hitman) was able to climb up the ladder. Went from taking out Paulie (His first hit) to TWO crime bosses!

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
the pacing is just off.
The pacing on the scenes with young Vito was often a little jerky, but the biggest headshaker to me, was the placing of the hit on Fabrizio. That should have been inserted after the heads of the 4 families were taken out. After all, Michael & Kay already had children at the time of the baptism. So the timeline would be close enough to where Fabrizio was finally located. Call it pure satisfaction for Michael who took care of "Business" and "Personal" matters with one big swoop.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 01-17-16 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 05:44 AM
Banned

Yeah, the placement of the Fabrizio scenes was odd but they were still cool imo, I don't even recall seeing them before. And it's cool that Rocco is still around during Part III.
Old 01-18-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Yeah, the placement of the Fabrizio scenes was odd but they were still cool imo, I don't even recall seeing them before. And it's cool that Rocco is still around during Part III.
Rocco Lampone is killed at the end of Part II when he kills Hyman Roth at the airport. Al Neri is the enforcer who survives through all 3 films.
Old 01-18-16, 11:58 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

So is this being rebooted with an all-female cast?
Old 01-18-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
No but they did recently air a chronological re-edit that completely ruins both of the first two movies. You won't see me foaming at the mouth getting all worked up over it since they have no plans to confiscate the originals. Kinda like how your copy of Ghostbusters isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-18-16, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
No but they did recently air a chronological re-edit that completely ruins both of the first two movies. You won't see me foaming at the mouth getting all worked up over it since they have no plans to confiscate the originals. Kinda like how your copy of Ghostbusters isn't going anywhere.
I'm sorry you didn't pick up on my fake outrage/sarcasm.

I'm actually more offended that this is the thousandth Godfather thread to be perfectly honest. The search button not working?
Old 01-18-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm actually more offended that this is the thousandth Godfather thread to be perfectly honest. The search button not working?
I did pick up on it. I thought it was a reference to the fact that I actually have no beef with the female GB reboot and said as much in the thread.
Old 01-18-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Which is literally what all the posts above yours discusses.
I knew that .
Old 01-19-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

This is an old thread that was bumped.
Old 01-20-16, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
This is an old thread that was bumped.
There are 43 threads that contain The Godfather, but at least the others have thread topics that are specific, not just the name of the movie. Criminy.
Old 01-20-16, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

HBO Signature will re-air the Godfather Epic this Sat at 7pm PT and I think HBO Zone has it Fri Jan 29 at 6pm PT though it says "Godfather Saga" on the Directv guide.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 01-20-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

You have to admit, Melissa McCarthy will make a great "Sunny Corleone". In the reboot, Barzini lures her to the causeway with a cannoli tied to a string.
Old 01-28-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there a difference between the "epic" and the "saga" versions - or was that just a typo by HBO? Both are being shown this week on HBO and wanted to know which (IF they are different) is the better one (more extra scenes than the other, etc)

Last edited by mickey65; 01-28-16 at 02:15 PM.