Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I don't know about that. 1970's Love Story made him a star (and an Oscar-nominee), and he continued his success streak with films like What's up, Doc, Paper Moon (with his own daughter, who did win the Oscar), and, yeah, I guess, Barry Lyndon, which I still haven't seen yet.

As for Kurt Russell, he just got "played out." When certain actors reach a certain point in life, they're either endurable despite their weight gain, or they're repulsive. Kurt kind of became repulsive. He tried to be "cool" in Death, but it was borderline pathetic. And films like that Elvis Impersonators with that other washed up actor Kevin Costner. Costner is another actor who lost his looks early in the game (after JFK, he became unwatchable to me).

But look at the bright side: guys like Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner and Ryan O'Neal had their day in the sun! Their movies will be watched over and over and over again, and they are IMMORTAL!! These guys will live forever. Kurt Russell will live forever because of Escape From New York and The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China (and yes, even Unlawful Entry).

He may not be something now. But he was something. And nobody can take that away from him. Nobody.
I dunno. Costner and Russell are talked about nowadays. I rarely hear a peep about O'Neal.
Old 02-15-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finisher
He's not quite on the level of Jeff Bridges, but Kurt Russell is just a really solid, underrated performer. I bumped into him in New York like 7 or 8 years ago and he was looking old/haggard back then. I'm sure the level of scripts he's offered these days is pretty poor.
I agree. Good underrated actors, like Jeff Bridges, who just need the perfect vehicle to get them some attention.

He was very good in a movie called Swingshift years ago with Goldie and Christine Lahti.
Old 02-16-10, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

For those who think he's over-rated and mediocre, I would say this: Nobody has ever played Joe Sixpack better than Kurt Russell. Whenever I see virtually anyone else in a blue collar role, they either try too hard to come off as gritty, or they play up stereotypes for laughs and I think, "I know the guy that he's making fun of." Russell has always given us a grounded, believable performance, and I think, "I know that guy." It doesn't seem impressive, until you tally up all the other performances that have missed the mark.
He really is Joe Sixpack. Seeing him on talk shows he comes across just like some guy who would show up to fix your furnance or install cable. Very likable guy. I know he's into hunting. Saw something on the news once that he hosts an annual hunt for invited friends. He was getting flak for it from animal activists.
Old 02-16-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Always linked him together with Dennis Quaid in my mind...both are solid, dependable actors but I really couldn't care if they end up retiring.
Old 02-16-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big Russell fan and liked him alot in "Death Proof". I can't believe it's now been 3 years since that came out. Time is flying by.

Another favorite Russell performance of mine is in "Breakdown", which is a very underappreciated thriller. Maybe we'll get an actual 16x9 enhanced DVD or even a *gulp* BD release of that film in the near future.
Old 02-16-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw, "Breakdown" was just another superhero movie. A regular joe getting under a truck while its moving to find his wife? Not bloody likely. I forget the other elements of that film I found unbelievable, but there were many. Too many.
Old 02-16-10, 11:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 02-16-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least he don't have "man-boobs" like I do. And he gets hot chicks despite his "pouch." Can't beat that with a stick, no sir. Would I trade places with the man? Hell Yes.
Old 02-16-10, 11:11 AM

Do you see how he's placing his arms behind his back? That's how he's hiding the man boobs.
Old 02-16-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

We'll return in a few years to see how some of you tubby fuckers look like in your 50/60s.
Old 02-16-10, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good thing I'm 23. even in that pic Russell is still awesome.
Old 02-16-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read this thread, but to answer the OP: Nothing. He's the fucking man.
Old 02-16-10, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
We'll return in a few years to see how some of you tubby fuckers look like in your 50/60s.
We don't want to know what they look like now, let alone when they're in their 50/60s.
Old 02-16-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'Dark Blue' struck me as probably his best performance.

He never took movies or Hollywood seriously enough to go 'legit' as a 'complicated Oscar nominated actor', or the 'A list action superstar' like Tom Cruise or etc. Someone who just lives for more fame, more money, more awards and nominations, bigger opening weekends, anything to get more.

After 'Silkwood' he was certainly set to go 'full retard' in the business. He just chose to have fun as an actor, make some money, and also have a life outside of 'the right parties, the right people' and etc.

I saw him discussing that stuff in an interview once, also some people who know him. He had been a star since he was a child with Disney, and it was just a job, not something he craved like a needy child(like the bulk of people in entertainment do). It was kind of a 'Biography' type of program but I don't think it was actually the Biography Channel.
Old 02-16-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
At least he don't have "man-boobs" like I do. And he gets hot chicks despite his "pouch."
What "hot chicks" is he getting? He's still with Goldie Hawn, remember?
And she hasn't been a hot chick since, roughly, SHAMPOO (1975).
Old 02-17-10, 09:28 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack Burton and the Pork Chop Express!!