Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

He is hilarious on the Used Cars commentary.
Old 02-14-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Finisher
He's not quite on the level of Jeff Bridges, but Kurt Russell is just a really solid, underrated performer. I bumped into him in New York like 7 or 8 years ago and he was looking old/haggard back then. I'm sure the level of scripts he's offered these days is pretty poor.
I've confused the two before, example I thought Jeff Bridges was pretty good in Vanilla Sky.
Old 02-14-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've confused the two before, example I thought Jeff Bridges was pretty good in Vanilla Sky.
And I confuse both of them with Dennis Quaid. The only way I can remember them is by whom they're related to.
Old 02-14-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I used to confuse the two. I've gotten better at not doing that, though.
Old 02-15-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think he cares anymore and is just enjoying life. If he turned down "The Expendables" chances are he's not hurting for money.
Old 02-15-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Where did Kurt Russell go? He hasn't been in a movie 3 years.

I was looking at his list of movies and realized he's been in non-stop entertaining films for 40 years.

Does anyone think of him as a child actor grown up (as with Jodie Foster)? I didnt realize he was in so many live-action Disney films. Was he like the Hillary Duff, Lindsey Lohan, Hanna Montana of the 1970s?

I've seen all of his famous movies, but has anyone seen his lesser well-known films, such as the winter season, swing shift, silwood, and amber waves? I would like to rent all of them.

And was his TV movie ELVIS a huge tv event in the 70s? Kurt Russell must really love John Carpenter for getting hooked up with all his big roles.

He Turned down the Expendables.
Old 02-15-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd like for Kurt Russell to be in more movies, but he seems to have almost no box office drawing power. Pretty much everything he's the lead in ends up flopping at the box office, even the good movies.

(Heck, Tarantino couldn't even change that trend!)
Old 02-15-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I remember his awesome 5 movie run of stargate, executive decision, escape from LA, breakdown, and then his super-buffed up Soldier, in which i was excited to see a new "kurt russell" film.
Not a single one of those films I'd describe as even remotely close to "awesome". Most of them are pretty awful, actually. Soldier is one of the biggest cinematic turds I've ever had the mispleasure of seeing in theaters.

I do like Breakdown though.
Old 02-15-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's probably semi-retired, enjoying his life and poking Kate Hudson. What's not to love?
Old 02-15-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Kate refers to him as "Dad," so that's pretty sick.
Old 02-15-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
He's probably semi-retired, enjoying his life and poking Kate Hudson's hot friends. What's not to love?
fixed.
Old 02-15-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Kate refers to him as "Daddy", so that's pretty hawt.
Fixed.
Old 02-15-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pervert fight!
Old 02-15-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Kate refers to him as "Daddy," so that's pretty hawt.
Now go get my bourbon.
Old 02-15-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I don't believe that for a second. If Kurt Russell wants to work, he'll get roles. I'd assume that he just has money and enjoys the occassional acting role, but isn't out actively getting work. This would explain why the roles that he does take are usually in very entertaining movies.

I'd recommend Sky High to anyone who hasn't seen it. Bruce Campbell, some Kids in the Hall alumni and silly retro-superheroes with some stupid-funny high-energy action/adventure sequences. The movie got overlooked by a lot of people.
He said in a radio interview back around the time of Death Proof that he is more selective of the roles he takes and does not need to work if he does not want to because he is rich.

Last edited by d2cheer; 02-15-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He got ugly and when a formerly good looking actor becomes hard to look at, it usually kills their career. Usually, although Jeff Bridges seems to be some kind of exception.
Old 02-15-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same thing happened to Ryan O'Neal. He was a damn good looking man, then I guess he had to take steroids, and he got all puffed up in the face. Goodbye career.
Old 02-15-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is weird.....i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday and checked his profile out on IMDB. I guess it was because i was having a bit of a John Carpenter marathon yersterday ending with The Thing. Kurt is a good actor who has never real hit it as big as he should have. I still long for him to return as Snake Plisskin in a good Escape movie, but looks like that is a no go. Another Thing is being made, but without Kurt. I would love to have seen where another movie after that might have gone. Hell i would love to see another Big Trouble in Little China. The guy is fantastic given the right role. Last year i was vacationing in vegas and a friend took me to place near Lake Meade where Kurt and Spielberg have houses right next to one another. Who is in the driveway when we go past...but none other than Kurt. Part of me wanted to stop and say hi, but we just kept on going.
Old 02-15-10, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Same thing happened to Ryan O'Neal. He was a damn good looking man, then I guess he had to take steroids, and he got all puffed up in the face. Goodbye career.
O'Neal's awesome career begins at Barry Lyndon and ends there. He's never been great after that. Pretty damn generic to me actually.
Old 02-15-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

What ever happened to Rob Bottin? He worked on John Carpenter's The Thing. Plus he was originally slated to direct Freddy vs Jason.
Old 02-15-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Everyone forgets Unlawful Entry from Kurt Russell, solid thriller from 1992.
Old 02-15-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Either last year or the year before, Glamour magazine produced a handful of short films directed by women, based on stories submitted by their readership. They were free on iTunes at the time, so I downloaded them. I was thrilled to find Kurt Russell playing the dad in Cutlass, which I believe was directed by his daughter, Kate Hudson.

For those who think he's over-rated and mediocre, I would say this: Nobody has ever played Joe Sixpack better than Kurt Russell. Whenever I see virtually anyone else in a blue collar role, they either try too hard to come off as gritty, or they play up stereotypes for laughs and I think, "I know the guy that he's making fun of." Russell has always given us a grounded, believable performance, and I think, "I know that guy." It doesn't seem impressive, until you tally up all the other performances that have missed the mark.
Old 02-15-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
O'Neal's awesome career begins at Barry Lyndon and ends there. He's never been great after that. Pretty damn generic to me actually.
I don't know about that. 1970's Love Story made him a star (and an Oscar-nominee), and he continued his success streak with films like What's up, Doc, Paper Moon (with his own daughter, who did win the Oscar), and, yeah, I guess, Barry Lyndon, which I still haven't seen yet.

As for Kurt Russell, he just got "played out." When certain actors reach a certain point in life, they're either endurable despite their weight gain, or they're repulsive. Kurt kind of became repulsive. He tried to be "cool" in Death, but it was borderline pathetic. And films like that Elvis Impersonators with that other washed up actor Kevin Costner. Costner is another actor who lost his looks early in the game (after JFK, he became unwatchable to me).

But look at the bright side: guys like Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner and Ryan O'Neal had their day in the sun! Their movies will be watched over and over and over again, and they are IMMORTAL!! These guys will live forever. Kurt Russell will live forever because of Escape From New York and The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China (and yes, even Unlawful Entry).

He may not be something now. But he was something. And nobody can take that away from him. Nobody.
Old 02-15-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought he gave a fine performance in Tough Guys Don't Dance
Old 02-15-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

paper moon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.