DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Kurt Russell: what happened to him? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/569498-kurt-russell-what-happened-him.html)

toddly6666 02-14-10 08:29 AM

Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

Where did Kurt Russell go? He hasn't been in a movie 3 years.

I was looking at his list of movies and realized he's been in non-stop entertaining films for 40 years.

Does anyone think of him as a child actor grown up (as with Jodie Foster)? I didnt realize he was in so many live-action Disney films. Was he like the Hillary Duff, Lindsey Lohan, Hanna Montana of the 1970s?

I've seen all of his famous movies, but has anyone seen his lesser well-known films, such as the winter season, swing shift, silwood, and amber waves? I would like to rent all of them.

And was his TV movie ELVIS a huge tv event in the 70s? Kurt Russell must really love John Carpenter for getting hooked up with all his big roles.

Defiant1 02-14-10 10:35 AM

Re: Kurt Russell: what happened to him?

His acting ability is just okay and he's lost his leading man looks. There aren't a whole lot of roles for mediocre, aging actors. He's banked enough over the decades to live very comfortably though so don't cry for him.

ETA: According to Wiki, he's playing Ataturk(!) in a movie coming out this year called War of the Freedom. Oh my.

EdTheRipper 02-14-10 10:36 AM

Going through his IMDB page shows that this isn't the first time he's laid low for a few years. He did nothing between 1998's Soldier and 2001's 3000 Miles to Graceland. Maybe he just likes taking some time off occasionally.

toddly6666 02-14-10 01:15 PM

I remember his awesome 5 movie run of stargate, executive decision, escape from LA, breakdown, and then his super-buffed up Soldier, in which i was excited to see a new "kurt russell" film.

It's sort of sad when hollywood stops giving certain action roles to aging actors. That was pretty nice of Tarentino to let him star in Death Proof.

I would like to see a bearded Kurt Russell return with a final great genre film directed by John Carpenter, written by some awesome sci-fi/horror writer. And then after that, they can both officially retire.

Artman 02-14-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9998545)
I remember his awesome 5 movie run of stargate, executive decision, escape from LA, breakdown, and then his super-buffed up Soldier, in which i was excited to see a new "kurt russell" film.

I became a fan just a few yrs before that... Backdraft, Captain Ron, Tombstone. He had some nice ones in the early 2000's... Vanilla Sky, Miracle, Sky High. Almost all of his flicks are thoroughly entertaining... hope to see him in a few more good ones before he calls it a career.

Groucho 02-14-10 01:43 PM

Update: DEAD. Link to come...

Artman 02-14-10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9998576)

What?!

Groucho 02-14-10 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 9998581)
What?!

Well, I can't post a link until he actually dies and somebody puts an article up. -ohbfrank-

Troy Stiffler 02-14-10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9998545)
It's sort of sad when hollywood stops giving certain action roles to aging actors. That was pretty nice of Tarentino to let him star in Death Proof.

I don't believe that for a second. If Kurt Russell wants to work, he'll get roles. I'd assume that he just has money and enjoys the occassional acting role, but isn't out actively getting work. This would explain why the roles that he does take are usually in very entertaining movies.

I'd recommend Sky High to anyone who hasn't seen it. Bruce Campbell, some Kids in the Hall alumni and silly retro-superheroes with some stupid-funny high-energy action/adventure sequences. The movie got overlooked by a lot of people.

Troy Stiffler 02-14-10 02:02 PM

RIP, Kurt.

JumpCutz 02-14-10 02:06 PM

RIP

He will be missed. At least we have all his films to watch and reflect upon.

Fist of Doom 02-14-10 02:17 PM

What was the thing that killed him?

Cardsfan111 02-14-10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 9998614)

I believe autopsy reports will show the cause of death to be this thread.

The Cow 02-14-10 02:56 PM

I see what you did there. :lol:

Snowmaker 02-14-10 03:04 PM

I never knew he was the voice of Elvis in Forrest Gump.

Shannon Nutt 02-14-10 03:26 PM

He was almost on CSI, but they decided to go with Fishburne instead. In retrospect, I wish they would have went with Kurt.

creekdipper 02-14-10 03:31 PM

Having to explain one too many times that it was actually Mickey Dolenz in Circus Boy while Kurt starred in Travels of Jamie McPheeters.

A man can only take so much.

An alternate explanation is that having stepdaughter Kate Hudson constantly hanging around in a skimpy bikini was too much for Stuntman Mike's big ol' heart.

coli 02-14-10 04:16 PM

Wasn't Kurt Russell a child actor? If so, then he has been acting for a long time, and is probably content with life at this time with Goldie Hawn. I always liked him because he wasn't a phony Hollywood actor like most, he seemed pretty genuine when he did interviews.

DonnachaOne 02-14-10 04:37 PM

:eek:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9998583)
Well, I can't post a link until he actually dies and somebody puts an article up. -ohbfrank-

:lol:

The O 02-14-10 05:04 PM

He's very, very rich, and doesn't feel the need to work just to work.

I miss the guy, but his taste in projects leaves much to be desired.

Trevor 02-14-10 05:25 PM

sarcasm

Originally Posted by coli (Post 9998763)
Wasn't Kurt Russell a child actor?

Yes. Shame that the OP didn't mention it.

Solid Snake 02-14-10 06:06 PM

I still can't believe he backed out on The Expendables. That would've been a cool flick after what he did in Deathproof. God, he was so badass in that.

Finisher 02-14-10 06:39 PM

He's not quite on the level of Jeff Bridges, but Kurt Russell is just a really solid, underrated performer. I bumped into him in New York like 7 or 8 years ago and he was looking old/haggard back then. I'm sure the level of scripts he's offered these days is pretty poor.

RoyalTea 02-14-10 06:49 PM

He should have won an Oscar for Miracle. Will his death mean the end of Miracle II? Or do they have enough bonus footage and CGI capabilities to complete the film?

hasslein 02-14-10 06:49 PM

He and Carpenter were talking about a third escape film "Escape from Earth" until Escape from L.A. bombed. I still would like to see it.