Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-12, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Thanks Min! Added you. This is me if anyone wants to add: http://www.flickchart.com/suprmallet

I haven't ranked in a while so my data might be a bit outdated.

Edit: Still not saving the avatar. Very weird.
Old 12-18-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

http://www.flickchart.com/maxflier
Old 12-18-12, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

I got the avatar to work by using Safari. Chrome wouldn't do it for some reason.
Old 12-18-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a way to figure out your own top 20 films, this is completely fucking stupid.

The first film I voted on was Taxi Driver. It went to number one and stayed there until I forced There Will Be Blood to the top. But I wouldn't even call Blood my favorite film. It's just my favorite of what options I've been given.

My top 20 as it is now:
There Will Be Blood
Taxi Driver
Batman Forever
Flubber
Ratatouille
Donnie Darko
Robin Hood: Prince of Theives
Little Miss Sunshine
Bridget Jones' Diary
Legally Blonde
Spider-Man 2
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
28 Days Later
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Sleepy Hollow
The Godfather Part II
Burn After Reading
Finding Nemo
2001: A Space Odyssey
Mission: Impossible III

There are some titles that pop up a dozen times, and many, many others that haven't shown up once. You'd probably have to rate about ten thousand films before you'd have a real list of what you've actually seen. And then you'd have to rate each of those few thousand titles dozens of times each to get an actual preferential order.

I just picked Jurassic Park over Flubber. What happens? Jurassic Park is now in my top 10. Flubber moves down one spot and pushes down every other film on my list. Do I have to vote against Flubber dozens of time to get it off my list? And what if my other option is still a shitty film, but less shitty than Flubber? Then there's a whole new shitty movie I have to keep voting against in order to get rid of it. Of course you can just remove any films you hate. But if you have to remove (or add) titles one at a time, why even have the website?

And what do they qualify as a film? I had one option which included Bare Wench 2: Book of Babes, which is some Blair Witch softcore parody piece of crap. Why is that being ranked against actual movies? And later I had an option for David Lynch's Rabbits, which is a series of short films. Does every motion picture ever made count? Then why does it keep showing the same ones over and over?

I like seeing all the alternate poster art, but other than that, what the fuck is the point of this?
Old 12-18-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
As a way to figure out your own top 20 films, this is completely fucking stupid.
The algorithm has been tweaked a few times to address your concerns, which are pretty common issues for a lot of users. You're right that it does seem to take too long to get a ranked list that passes the gut test.

Do I have to vote against Flubber dozens of time to get it off my list?
You can manually re-rank any movie. Go to the movie's page and you'll see the Re-rank button. This gives you a chance to just rank that one movie until it settles into a more sensible place on your chart. That feature tends to work pretty well, though you're not alone in wishing that it was easier for movies to find their natural place more organically.

And what do they qualify as a film? I had one option which included Bare Wench 2: Book of Babes, which is some Blair Witch softcore parody piece of crap. Why is that being ranked against actual movies? And later I had an option for David Lynch's Rabbits, which is a series of short films. Does every motion picture ever made count? Then why does it keep showing the same ones over and over?
We err on the side of inclusion to appeal to broader, niche tastes. In a forthcoming version of the site, one feature will be to exclude certain kinds of content (i.e., short films, made-for-TV movies, etc.) from the ranking process. Some users agree with you that they only want mainstream feature films. Some of us prefer a more holistic chart. I'm in the latter group.

I like seeing all the alternate poster art, but other than that, what the fuck is the point of this?
There are a few different philosophies about it. My personal interest in the site is this:

In the course of normal comparative discussions about movies, we might pit Star Wars against The Empire Strikes Back or even Raiders of the Lost Ark, but we'll never sit and think about the differences between Star Wars and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Flickchart gives us the chance to compare and contrast movies that ordinarily we wouldn't think to pair, and through that we get the chance to reflect on different elements about them.

If I might ask, are there are any ideas you have for what would make the site more appealing and rewarding for you? I'll be happy to pass them along. Just try to bear in mind that the site is literally run by just two guys who have full time jobs. There are several of us who contribute to the database and blog, but the site function and design are all in the hands of the co-founders alone so dramatic changes tend to be kind of slow in coming.
Old 12-18-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I got the avatar to work by using Safari. Chrome wouldn't do it for some reason.
Clearing the cache is almost mandatory in Chrome when returning to any website after some kind of design change/bug fix has been implemented. It's more sensitive to those things than some of the other browsers for some reason.
Old 12-18-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yes, I am! I had my profile changed to TravisSMcClain since I contribute to the Flickchart blog, I wanted to make it easier for readers to identify my posts. You'll find my blog posts here. Send me a friend request over there! I'd love to build a custom chart of our particular favorites and see what our collective taste in film is like.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Incidentally, I forgot to mention that there's a Flickcharters Facebook group in case you'd like to get to know the rest of the Flickchart community.
I'll bite. I'll check out the site, and visit the facebook page.
Old 12-19-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't get all the complaining about getting your favorite movies to the top of your list. It didn't take me very long to figure out how to manipulate my top 10 the way I wanted it, you just have to spend some time and explore all the options the site has to offer instead of just doing random matchup after random matchup and expecting it to work out that way.
Old 12-19-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't get all the complaining about getting your favorite movies to the top of your list. It didn't take me very long to figure out how to manipulate my top 10 the way I wanted it, you just have to spend some time and explore all the options the site has to offer instead of just doing random matchup after random matchup and expecting it to work out that way.
It does take a while for the whole thing to really take form. I've written two different tutorials on making full use of present Flickchart capabilities, one featuring The Avengers and the other, James Bond. These two pieces *should* be helpful.
Old 12-19-12, 02:42 AM
Banned by request

Thanks for being the forum Flickchart liaison, Min.
Old 12-19-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Thanks for being the forum Flickchart liaison, Min.
Ha! I should order business cards to that effect. And since I've quit bothering with the screen name everywhere else, I'm Travis.
Old 12-19-12, 10:53 AM

My favorites hit the top of the list in no time. In fact I spent 2 hours on that site without realizing it, just clicking and clicking and clicking, and when the page took a while to load more titles THEN I pulled myself away.

It's addictive.
Old 12-19-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Sometimes it's tough picking between two movies, especially if I haven't seen one of them in a while.
Old 12-19-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I agree. I have had my top 30 knocked into shape for quite some time. Just re-ranking movies is helpful to rapidly move them up or down.

I find that top 30 list useful to give to friends so that they can judge my tastes versus their own, especially since I have most of them on BD should they want to borrow them.

One nice thing about flickchart is that it will throw movies at me I've forgotten that I've seen. My list is 600+; while that's a tiny number compared to many here, to me that's a lot of movies!
Old 12-19-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Is this still invitation-only?
Old 12-19-12, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I joined it last night and started ranking. I didn't know this site existed until yesterday so I know nothing about invitation-only registration.
Old 12-19-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think you must be thinking of something else. I don't recall this ever being invitation only.
Old 12-19-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I think you must be thinking of something else. I don't recall this ever being invitation only.
Hmm, I think it was something Min was talking about--Letterboxd, maybe?
Old 06-07-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Currently:

8207 rankings
1710 movies
Not a lot of headway, only at

8523 rankings
1765 movies

Have mostly been using the charts feature for recommendations.

I need a post movie app, auto checks into GetGlue and prompts me to rank it on Flickchart.