Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I confess to being more than a little excited right now; I've just been invited to be a guest blogger for Flickchart! I've already submitted my first piece, though I have no idea when the final version will appear. Granted, it's a voluntary thing so it's not like I'm getting paid for this...and it'll likely be much of the same movie-related crap that folks here have been ignoring for the better part of two years...but still, it's something positive in my otherwise bleak daily life and it just seemed right to say so in the thread that introduced me to that hyper-addictive website.
Fantastic! Congrats!
Old 01-22-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I am up to about 2934 rankings / 875 movies
It is losing some of it's appeal but it is a great way to find out what movies you need to see.
Now at 6107 rankings / 1261 movies. But my top 20 looks a lot better. Not perfect but way better.

I just got my wife going to, she never goes to the site but enjoys it when I ask her which is better. She is at 169 rankings / 192 movies.

I hate her picks sometimes though. For example she just picked Liar Liar over Blade Runner, wtf?
Old 01-22-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to get away from that site. It was consuming time that it shouldn't have.
Old 01-22-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Incidentally, I've got several pieces up on the Flickchart blog by now. Some are general editorials about movie watching habits. Some are more specific. If you're wanting a Flickchart fix but feel guilty just ranking movies, the blog might be a loophole for your productivity conscience. Also, if you know of a movie that should be on there but isn't, let me know. I have movie creation privileges there and can get you ranking the most obscure movie you've ever loved.
Old 01-23-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flickchart has improved considerably since SM first posted it. It is much easier to enter movies directly now and to re-rank them until they are where one wants them. It is less important to randomly rank movies, although that is the best way to start because it jogs one's memory about movies seen.

509 movies ranked for me. My top ten and top twenty are pretty much exactly the way I want them.
Old 01-23-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stop on this fucking thing.

Dammit...
Old 01-23-11, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just one more click and I'll be done. Well, wait, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is OBVIOUSLY better than The Last Airbender, so I'll do that one, too, and be done. Oh, well, I HAVE to weigh in on this one, and then I'll be done...
Old 01-23-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just one more click and I'll be done. Well, wait, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is OBVIOUSLY better than The Last Airbender, so I'll do that one, too, and be done. Oh, well, I HAVE to weigh in on this one, and then I'll be done...
Yep, created my account two hours ago and have 1400 rankings of 351 movies.

Still can't get it right.
Old 01-23-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incidentally, if anyone wants to "friend" me over there, here's my profile page. Also, I entirely agree with lizard. They've done some tweaking to the algorithm over the last year (though I'm told that the full next version is yet to be implemented) that does a much better job mixing highly ranked movies and unseen ones. Gone are the stretches of 10-20 movies where I haven't seen at least one of the choices. Now it's generally down to about 5 such ranking pairs before I have a choice to make, which (given how behind I am on seeing movies) is pretty good, I think.
Old 01-24-11, 10:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Cool site, but I'm not finding a lot of movies I've seen. I think the oldest movie I got so far was 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the only non-American/English language movie was Crouching Tiger.
Old 01-24-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Cool site, but I'm not finding a lot of movies I've seen. I think the oldest movie I got so far was 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the only non-American/English language movie was Crouching Tiger.
The standard on Flickchart is to use the English translation of a foreign title; if you searched by the original title that may be why you were unable to find those. You can also submit a title to be added. There are some very enthusiastic people who have undertaken the task of reviewing and approving submissions pretty quickly. (I do it, but I'm fairly lazy and generally only think to do this whenever I personally have a movie to add.)
Old 01-24-11, 11:23 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

The standard on Flickchart is to use the English translation of a foreign title; if you searched by the original title that may be why you were unable to find those.
I hadn't done any searching yet when I posted that; I had only ranked what came up normally.
Old 01-24-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was trying to get Fellowship of the Ring ranked over Return of the King, so I filtered it for Peter Jackson movies. It had me rank The Two Towers vs. Fellowship of the Ring 20 consecutive times before I gave up.
Old 01-24-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I was trying to get Fellowship of the Ring ranked over Return of the King, so I filtered it for Peter Jackson movies. It had me rank The Two Towers vs. Fellowship of the Ring 20 consecutive times before I gave up.
You can also filter by Studio/Franchise and select "The Lord of the Rings" (note: it's in with the T's for "The").
Old 01-24-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can also filter by Studio/Franchise and select "The Lord of the Rings" (note: it's in with the T's for "The").
Apparently Return of the King got put onto my Unseen list at some point. Maybe I accidentally clicked the "Haven't Seen It" button once, I know I've done that from time to time on a movie I've seen when I'm moving too quickly. It's still listed at #7 on my overall chart, but I can't get it to ever offer it to me as a choice when I try to use the filters. Is there any way to get it off the Unseen list?
Old 01-24-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
They also have Amélie, although you are probably right that there isn't much foreign language fare.

However, they do have a feature now where you can suggest titles for addition to the list. But one must consider that the majority of site users are familiar mostly with recent "Hollywood" movies. Case in point: only 7% of site users have seen Grand Prix (1966) and 20% have seen The Philadelphia Story (1940), both older mainstream movies. So if you want obscure foreign language movies you are likely to be disappointed.

I suggest that you simply search for some favorite movies to get your list started, rather than just rank random pairs as I did last year. But ranking random pairs can be a fun exercise.
Old 01-24-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently Return of the King got put onto my Unseen list at some point. Maybe I accidentally clicked the "Haven't Seen It" button once, I know I've done that from time to time on a movie I've seen when I'm moving too quickly. It's still listed at #7 on my overall chart, but I can't get it to ever offer it to me as a choice when I try to use the filters. Is there any way to get it off the Unseen list?
Search for it and then either add it to your list or re-rank it, depending on how it comes up. You can also use the search feature to remove a title from your list if you accidentally included it in a ranking.

Re-ranking is now a powerful tool to adjust the position of a favorite (or disliked) movie. Much, much better than it was a few months ago.
Old 01-24-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure! You just go to the movie's page here.
Old 01-24-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
They also have Amélie, although you are probably right that there isn't much foreign language fare.

However, they do have a feature now where you can suggest titles for addition to the list. But one must consider that the majority of site users are familiar mostly with recent "Hollywood" movies. Case in point: only 7% of site users have seen Grand Prix (1966) and 20% have seen The Philadelphia Story (1940), both older mainstream movies. So if you want obscure foreign language movies you are likely to be disappointed.

I suggest that you simply search for some favorite movies to get your list started, rather than just rank random pairs as I did last year. But ranking random pairs can be a fun exercise.
It's true that the top global rankings are very skewed toward recent, American productions but that shouldn't make any difference to an individual user. So long as the movie exists, it can be added to Flickchart and then ranked by whomever wishes. If the only movies you watch are Vietnamese sex comedies made in 1963, then you can do so. No reason to concern yourself with whether you're the only one who's seen them.

In the context of shaping the global rankings, this is actually one reason I'm actively trying to get more members to join the site. Right now, its bias is way too obvious (The Dark Knight at #1, Inception at #2, for instance), but I'm hopeful that as more diverse members join and rank their favorites, the more the global rankings will reflect a wider range of tastes. In other words, don't let being in the minority discourage you; rather, look at your participation as a chance to have an impact on the majority.
Old 01-24-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure! You just go to the movie's page here.
I've gone to that page, it says it's ranked 7th on my Flickchart. I've clicked the re-rank button and gone through that process twice. I've now ranked the movie 34 times, but when I click "View All Movies I Haven't Seen" it still comes up at #5 on that list. Every other movie says "You Haven't Seen It" while ROTK says "7 on your Flickchart." And it still won't come up if I filter for Peter Jackson movies, LOTR movies, Elijah Wood movies, or anything else I've tried.

Maybe I need to remove it from my chart and try adding it again?
Old 01-24-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've gone to that page, it says it's ranked 7th on my Flickchart. I've clicked the re-rank button and gone through that process twice. I've now ranked the movie 34 times, but when I click "View All Movies I Haven't Seen" it still comes up at #5 on that list. Every other movie says "You Haven't Seen It" while ROTK says "7 on your Flickchart." And it still won't come up if I filter for Peter Jackson movies, LOTR movies, Elijah Wood movies, or anything else I've tried.

Maybe I need to remove it from my chart and try adding it again?
Hmm. I'm not sure about that, but I'll ask Nathan Chase (co-founder) about it.
Old 01-24-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...In the context of shaping the global rankings, this is actually one reason I'm actively trying to get more members to join the site. Right now, its bias is way too obvious (The Dark Knight at #1, Inception at #2, for instance), but I'm hopeful that as more diverse members join and rank their favorites, the more the global rankings will reflect a wider range of tastes. In other words, don't let being in the minority discourage you; rather, look at your participation as a chance to have an impact on the majority.
I can assure you that I'm not part of the The Dark Knight at #1, Inception at #2 ranking, since I haven't seen either (TDK has been on my shelf for over a year but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it). However, neither am I a cineophile, so my favorites tend to be mainstream movies, just quite different from those highly favored by most DVD Talkers.

I hope you can get some with more arcane tastes to participate. You seem to be connected with the site creators. Please tell them that I am impressed with the huge improvements they have implemented in recent months.
Old 01-24-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding the "haven't seen it" situation, I'm told, "It's a bug that's fixed, but not deployed yet, to take care of this particular scenario."
Old 01-24-11, 09:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Somebody should do a site like this, except you rate Harvard undergrads instead of movies.
Old 01-24-11, 09:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, call it like Harvard Girlchart or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.