Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: Flickchart: A monumental timewaster

I am one of only 3 people who have Screamers in their top 20.
Old 01-25-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty neat site. I spent about an hour on it last night and another hour or so today. We should start a thread for people to list there top 10 or 20 Flickchart films
Old 01-25-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Pretty neat site. I spent about an hour on it last night and another hour or so today. We should start a thread for people to list there top 10 or 20 Flickchart films
It isn't static, but you can see mine here. It's more geek-heavy than I'd like to admit, but it's pretty accurate.
Old 01-25-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here is mine for now. I like animation and horror so thos are pretty high up
http://www.flickchart.com/JJE-187/movies
Old 01-25-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many thousands of rankings you have to do to make this thing somewhat accurate? I'm at 2800 rankings of 600 movies and only about 6 movies in my top 20 I'd say are accurate as being my favorites. Many in my top 30 I wouldnt even put in my top 100. I'm thinking you'd have to do 10-20,000 rankings before you get a definitive accurate list.
Old 01-26-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
I wonder how many thousands of rankings you have to do to make this thing somewhat accurate? I'm at 2800 rankings of 600 movies and only about 6 movies in my top 20 I'd say are accurate as being my favorites. Many in my top 30 I wouldnt even put in my top 100. I'm thinking you'd have to do 10-20,000 rankings before you get a definitive accurate list.
If you dabble in filters/your movies section you could make it definitive in say 500 rankings or so. Also you might want to look into the Only Unranked filter an of course you can look up movies and manually rank them or re-rank them.
Old 01-26-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, re-ranking films is key to getting the right ones in the top twenty.
Old 01-26-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Somebody should do a site like this, except you rate Harvard undergrads instead of movies.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, call it like Harvard Girlchart or something.
I don't know about you, but I've never seen or experienced any Harvard undergrads, nor am I ever likely to. So, I wouldn't have much basis for a ranking system. I guess I'd have to leave such things to your capable hands.
Old 01-26-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Yeah, re-ranking films is key to getting the right ones in the top twenty.
And the re-ranking algorithm is much, much better than it used to be, so it is quite effective now.
Old 03-24-11, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after more than 11,000 rankings this thing is putting in all kinds of movies. From black and white foreign films from the 30's, indie fare, to pacific rim movies, etc. It's now bringing a lot of movies. It's gotten a LOT better after 11k.

At first I thought the selection was kind of small, but it's widened out considerably.
Old 03-24-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, after more than 11,000 rankings this thing is putting in all kinds of movies. From black and white foreign films from the 30's, indie fare, to pacific rim movies, etc. It's now bringing a lot of movies. It's gotten a LOT better after 11k.

At first I thought the selection was kind of small, but it's widened out considerably.
All anyone has to do to get a movie they want included is submit it. Most of the information can be found on IMDb; title, director, release date, up to five cast members. Tagline and IMDb number are optional. Once it's submitted, there are several Flickcharters who have the access to finalize and approve such submissions. I'm one of them, but the truth is I'm really bad about remembering to do this unless I personally have a submission. Fortunately, others are much more mindful. Rarely do I log in and see more than 20 pending submissions at any given time. They do a great job of keeping up with all that.

Also, in case you missed it or are interested, you can now filter movies by franchises. Some of them are fairly vague (like you can rank just zombie movies, even though there's obviously no singular zombie franchise). The most recent franchise added is the Criterion Collection. Not all titles have been tagged with that yet, but we're working on it. I've personally seen to it that all the Criterion titles directed by David Lean and Ingmar Bergman are tagged, and someone else beat me to Jean-Luc Godard. If anyone has any feature suggestions or requests, Nathan is always happy to entertain them. Many of them are already "in the works," but every now and again someone hits on an idea that hadn't already been considered (like the Criterion franchise filter).
Old 03-27-11, 11:34 PM

I've started using this site thanks to the recommendations of those here and I have the account for exactly three days and I am HOOKED! I've ranked over 1200 movies and look forward to ranking even more. Thanks for pointing out the site guys!
Old 06-17-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Now at 6107 rankings / 1261 movies. But my top 20 looks a lot better. Not perfect but way better.

I just got my wife going to, she never goes to the site but enjoys it when I ask her which is better. She is at 169 rankings / 192 movies.

I hate her picks sometimes though. For example she just picked Liar Liar over Blade Runner, wtf?
6-17-11

7439 rankings / 1516 movies
Old 06-17-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

21557 rankings / 3628 movies

I'm not proud of that.

I find movies I haven't seen and want to watch with this thing, so I'm still ranking.
Old 06-17-11, 08:02 PM

7333 rankings / 1714 movies

I'll admit, the first time I went to this site, I thought it was stupid and I didn't like how the favorite list would end up with stuff you'd never place that high. But then it turned out I couldn't stop going to it. Before I graduated, it got to the point where I was just spending all class listening to the lecture while constantly ranking movies. My fingers actually cramped up at one point. I've been able to stay away from it since I graduated but now that this thread's popped up, I'm hoping I don't end up going back there all the time.
Old 06-18-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^As I mentioned upthread, it is possible to re-rank titles to efficiently move them up or down the list (just click on the title link and select "Re-rank this movie"). It is also possible to just re-rank your top 20 (or top 50, 100, 250) over and over until the list is sorted correctly. It isn't necessary to only do it by randomly ranking movies.
Old 11-14-11, 12:41 AM

Bumping the thread to show where I'm at. I'm pretty sure that there maybe only a few other films waiting in the wings that I've actually seen. My stats stand at the following:

35429 rankings / 2871 movies

It's still as addictive as ever. If you haven't joined, join already!
Old 12-17-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite podcasts ended recently after 6 years, The Totally Rad Show. For the past year or so they had been doing a weekly flickchart segment. So I am dulling the pain by getting back into the awesomeness that is Flickchart. While my top 20 is pretty nailed down there is still lots and lots to add.

Currently:

8207 rankings
1710 movies

Top 10:

Aliens
The Thing
Jaws
WALL·E
Dr. Strangelove
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Back to the Future Part III
Predator
Blade Runner
Terminator 2
Ghostbusters
Jurassic Park
Stardust
Alien
Watchmen
Screamers
The Abyss
The Matrix
Phantasm
Old 12-18-12, 02:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Min, are you still involved with the site? I tried looking for you but couldn't find your profile.

Also, it doesn't seem to want to let me have an avatar. I'll click upload image, it will let me select a portion of the image to make the picture out of, then it will go back to the standard no avatar image.
Old 12-18-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Hey Min, are you still involved with the site? I tried looking for you but couldn't find your profile.
Yes, I am! I had my profile changed to TravisSMcClain since I contribute to the Flickchart blog, I wanted to make it easier for readers to identify my posts. You'll find my blog posts here. Send me a friend request over there! I'd love to build a custom chart of our particular favorites and see what our collective taste in film is like.

Also, it doesn't seem to want to let me have an avatar. I'll click upload image, it will let me select a portion of the image to make the picture out of, then it will go back to the standard no avatar image.
Grrr...! I'll let Nathan know.
Old 12-18-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that there's a Flickcharters Facebook group in case you'd like to get to know the rest of the Flickchart community.
Old 12-18-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Don't know how I missed this the first time around, but count me as another addict!
Old 12-18-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow I had forgotten this site, thankfully.

Luckily I guess they delete your login in after a year or something, so I can't log back in.
Old 12-18-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow I had forgotten this site, thankfully.

Luckily I guess they delete your login in after a year or something, so I can't log back in.
Actually, that shouldn't be the case. Your account info should still be valid despite your inactivity. Even if you don't want to resume the addiction, it'd be handy for me to report the problem. Could I have your user name? (No password!)
Old 12-18-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, I've just learned that the avatar issue is now resolved.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.