Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Worth a read...

Transformers 2 FAQ
Pure awesomeness...

STILL the BEST MOVIE of last year though...
Old 12-03-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I enjoy most of Michael Bay's movies. They are good, exciting, blow shit up action flicks. You dont have to think when watching them, you can just sit there and watch shit blow up. The Rock is great fun. For that matter, so are Armageddon and the Bad Boys movies.

I enjoyed watching both Transformers movies. Although I do think the first one was better. I just didnt like certain elements of the story of #2. It is like they wnet to the original cartoon and movie, and said "What item is important to the Transformers that we can make them go after?" They settled on the matrix of leadership that was apparently the key to running some tremendous intergalactic machine, even though it was nothing at all like that in the original series.
Old 12-03-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
STILL the BEST MOVIE of last year though...

The BEST MOVIE?

You mean YOUR favorite movie of last year.
Old 12-03-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz

The BEST MOVIE?

You mean YOUR favorite movie of last year.
:notrolls:
Old 12-03-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEdZ-yjxHLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEdZ-yjxHLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

A troll wouldn't post the incredibly awesome video above (and again show me a "troll" with 1300+ posts)

And, TF2 was the BEST MOVIE OF 2009
Old 12-03-09, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(and again show me a "troll" with 1300+ posts)
Paging Brack to the thread. Will Brack please enter the thread? Thank you.
Old 12-03-09, 04:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Paging Brack to the thread. Will Brack please enter the thread? Thank you.
What the fuck do you want?
Old 12-03-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 12-03-09, 05:26 PM
Banned by request

Well played!
Old 12-05-09, 02:07 AM

I'm no "troll" though the folks on the Conservative Talk forum think otherwise.
Old 12-05-09, 04:13 AM
Banned by request

Mod Note: Let's leave that as the last comment about the Politics forum, okay? Thanks.
Old 12-05-09, 04:45 AM

Old 12-05-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEdZ-yjxHLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEdZ-yjxHLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

A troll wouldn't post the incredibly awesome video above (and again show me a "troll" with 1300+ posts)

And, TF2 was the BEST MOVIE OF 2009
I loved that! And TF2 sucked royally. Yes, it had great action sequences but the plot was pure crap. Star Trek (which perplexingly shared two writers from TF2) was the best movie that year and even G.I. Joe (despite shoddy effects work) was tons better than TF2.

But Megatron telling the Fallen that's he's technically stronger had me in stitches because it's so true.
Old 12-05-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I enjoy most of Michael Bay's movies. They are good, exciting, blow shit up action flicks. You dont have to think when watching them, you can just sit there and watch shit blow up. The Rock is great fun. For that matter, so are Armageddon and the Bad Boys movies.
I made myself watch the rest of the movie.

While side-stepping the whole "what's so damn fun about turning off your brain" argument, I would say that, while I enjoy most Bay movies (the exceptions being Bad Boys 2, The Island, and the current subject) TF2 was just a collossally unengaging bore in my opinion. It didn't feel fun; it felt stiff, rushed, awkward, nonsensical, and indifferent. Compare that with, say, the superlative action/adventure/scifi flicks of the year like "Taken", "Inglourious Basterds", "Up", "Star Trek", etc. Each full of great action, characters, story, special effects... escapist entertainment of the highest order. None of these entertainments were particularly deep, but they each succeeded as storytelling.

TF2 was just... crass. Dopey. An afterthought. A crappy non-story that made no sense if you thought about it for more than 15 seconds, big noisy CGI that overwhelmed instead of amazed, a dead-behind-the-eyes female lead who made Kirsten Dunst seem like Wendy Wililams with a slim-jim and a lighter... I dunno man, I can't see how anybody could have genuinely liked this movie. "Dead behind the eyes" is practically the best way to describe Transformers 2. How a $200million+ movie about transforming fighting robots from outer space battling it out around the world could end up being so boring, I'll never know...
Old 01-23-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I am just watching this for the first time and it is worse than I imagined. I am about half way and I feel like it has been on all day. At this point I might as well just finish it. Next up is Wolverine. I have had both of these movies way to long from netflix.
Old 01-23-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts

You, my friend, are going to have a bad afternoon.
Old 01-23-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I am just watching this for the first time and it is worse than I imagined. I am about half way and I feel like it has been on all day. At this point I might as well just finish it. Next up is Wolverine. I have had both of these movies way to long from netflix.
Despite not living up to its potential, Wolverine is still watchable. If you want a truly terrible evening, try watching Jennifer's Body. I was falling asleep 20 minutes in and forced myself to sit through another 22 before I hit the eject button and returned the disc the very same day I rented it.
Old 01-23-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Despite not living up to its potential, Wolverine is still watchable. If you want a truly terrible evening, try watching Jennifer's Body. I was falling asleep 20 minutes in and forced myself to sit through another 22 before I hit the eject button and returned the disc the very same day I rented it.

Agreed Wolverine was not bad.
Old 01-24-10, 10:57 AM
Banned by request

Wolverine was only watchable because we already had our expectations blown to pieces by X3. Had it come on the heels of X2 (or a truly excellent third X-Men movie), we wouldn't be so kind to it.

That being said, Transformers 2 makes it look like The Dark Knight.
Old 01-24-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,251 Likes on 2,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wolverine was only watchable because we already had our expectations blown to pieces by X3. Had it come on the heels of X2 (or a truly excellent third X-Men movie), we wouldn't be so kind to it.

That being said, Transformers 2 makes it look like The Dark Knight.
That's exactly what it was for me. I went in to Wolverine with such low expectations that I couldn't have possibly been disappointed. Though, while not completely disappointed, I did pretty much forget I saw it just hours later...
Old 01-24-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found Wolverine on par with X-Men. I also don't think X2 is half as good as people make it out to be. However X-Men: The Last Stand dropped the ball royally by half-assign two big stories that deserved a movie each in order to be tackled properly.
Old 01-26-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal
I understand why some people wouldn't like Transformers 2, but I don't understand the pure hate for it. Just seems kind of narrow-minded. I thought that, in terms of action, it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. In every other department though it's pretty bad to average.
The sentiment seems to be that, since people don't like it, you can't defend it by saying that it only set out to be the popcorn movie it is because that means that you have lowered your standards as a film-goer to the point of being sheep. Or something. I don't know; read through these threads and see if the arguments mean anything to you.
Old 01-26-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recognize the movies faults, but I enjoy it for what it is and like it regardless. I mean, how many other films feature high-quality CGI robots killing each other?
My biggest complaint about the movie is there just wasn't enough of this. I paid to see Transformers, not a recruitment commercial for the military. Michael Bay should have been the director of G.I. Joe. That might have turned out to be the greatest popcorn action movie of all time.

I also never understood the pure hate that Bay himself gets. The guy's made some good to great movies regardless of whether or not you like Transformers. The Rock and arguably Bad Boys are awesome movies. I mean, Bay is pretty much a master of making modern-day blockbusters.
"Awesome" isn't the most meaningful rating, but I'll grant you that The Rock was a solidly entertaining film. (And to any snobs who want to dismiss it, I'd point out that it was a Criterion selection with a very persuasive essay penned by no less than the polarizing Roger Ebert.) I can't say I love his movies, though I have enjoyed them that I've paid to see most of them (I still haven't gotten around to Pearl Harbor or The Island). I may not have walked out of any feeling like they were on the same level as Lawrence of Arabia, but I can say I've never walked out without feeling like I got exactly what I paid to get.
Old 01-26-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fair enough, that's a fairly common complaint. Judging by that "recruitment commercial for the military" comment I'm guessing you're one of those people who hated involving humans in the movie? Ideally you do want it to just be robots vs. robots, but in reality you have to add in those humans because it's the only practical way to make the movie. As for the lack of action, well, I was fine with it while seeing the film in theaters, but after seeing it on DVD I noticed how bored I was in between the action scenes.
I'm fine with humans being involved, and I am well aware of the relevant role they must play in such a story. What I don't need is more shots of fighter jets being scrambled off an aircraft carrier than screen time for actual Transformers. Seriously, it was like having the first five minutes of Top Gun inserted in the middle of what should have been the climax of the movie.

Awesome is about as meaningful as any other rating. =P

In all seriousness, if I had to give Transformers 2 a rating I would give it a 5 or 5.5 out of 10.
To be honest, I now realize that "rating" was a poor word selection of my own. Calling a film "awesome," or even giving it a "5.5" are both only helpful if they are presented in the context of some kind of relative continuum. For instance, knowing that your 5.5 rating is on a scale of 10 suggests that it's middle-ground for you. Which really calls into question your "awesome" label; I tend to think of things that rate at least a 9 as "awesome." That you would award it to a 5.5 seems to prove my unstated thesis that "awesome" isn't very helpful. (And no, I'm not trying to pick a fight, and yes, I realize how insane that last paragraph must read.)
Old 01-26-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never called Transformers 2 awesome. I called The Rock and arguably Bad Boys awesome. =)
Oh, yeah. Look at that. You win this round...!

I do like to right reviews, but I can't seem to find a topic to do it in. Feel free to direct me to one if you would be kind enough. By the way, I consider 5 perfectly average, so that's what I thought Transformers 2 was (I was considering the extra .5 because it does have some unique qualities that could bump it up half a point).
There is a review forum here on DVD Talk, actually. The threads are supposed to be started by assigned reviewers for the site, but discourse is welcomed as best as I understand it. I dunno; for some reason, I don't frequent that forum very often. You can also chime in on the thread for the film in the Movies forum (or, if your comments are specific to the DVD or Blu-ray release, find the appropriate thread in those respective forums).

Of course, participating in a discussion about a film isn't necessarily the same as writing your own review, so you'll have to decide how much you have to say vs. responding to what others are saying. (The advantage here is, you don't have to provide the kind of background information in a thread that you might in a standalone review; people reading the thread are likely already familiar with the film at hand.)

I've done the oh-so-original thing of starting a blog about movies, but there are two caveats that go with that. First, it's a major no-no to promote it on this forum (and most others with which I am familiar). Second, a blog isn't very likely to generate much readership or feedback so it's really just you writing for yourself and a handful of friends who might indulge you every now and again out of politeness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.