Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: "Alien" reboot (Ridley & Tony Scott to produce).

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
According to this Tony Scott has confirmed the director and that it will be a prequel, not a remake:

http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/e...its-a-prequel/
I'd much prefer that route. Sequels and prequels are almost in short supply these days ...at least compared to the reboots/remakes/reimaginings.

I'm down as long as its predominantly practical effects with minimal CGI, a cast that's not of the CW persuasion (not all 20-something Calvin Klein models) and the R-rating is kept intact.
Old 05-30-09, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: "Alien" Prequel (Ridley & Tony Scott to produce).

If it were really a prequel, then there should be no humans in it at all. That would be an interesting route to take.
Old 05-30-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Another type of remake I wouldn't mind seeing, that I don't believe has ever been done... what if they just take the original shooting script and hand it to another director, just like a play? I don't mean the way Gus Van Sant re-did Psycho shot-for-shot. I mean the way different directors and actors will take the same play (Hamlet, for example) and do totally different interpretations of it. Why not with a movie script?

Imagine the same plot, same dialogue, different cast, different directing style, and newly designed ships and yes, a newly designed alien... interesting
Umm ... and
Old 05-30-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Unfortunately, I think the success of that movie is what is responsible for a lot of this reboot nonsense. So would I rather "reimagine" an alternate timeline with or without Batman Begins? Now that's the question.
I always thought that either the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake or the Dawn of the Dead remake were what was responsible for the influx of current remakes and reboots. I know remakes have always been around, but it was after these two came out that it seemed like remakes were being pumped out at an almost ridiculous pace (horror remakes at least. They were the first ones I noticed).
Old 05-30-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Another type of remake I wouldn't mind seeing, that I don't believe has ever been done... what if they just take the original shooting script and hand it to another director, just like a play? I don't mean the way Gus Van Sant re-did Psycho shot-for-shot. I mean the way different directors and actors will take the same play (Hamlet, for example) and do totally different interpretations of it. Why not with a movie script?

Imagine the same plot, same dialogue, different cast, different directing style, and newly designed ships and yes, a newly designed alien... interesting.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Umm ... and
I'm going to have to agree with Abob Teff on this one. No offense, but that idea actually sounds more pointless than a remake. I get where you're coming from, but I don't see how that would be any different than a flat-out remake.
Old 05-31-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At first, I was of the thought that only a prequel would work in continuing the Alien saga, but after reading what would have been a two-film story of Hicks, Bishop, Newt, Aliens, and a comatose Ripley, there was a great story that should have been made. Apparently the producers' idea was to have one film be about the Sulaco escape pod being recovered by "Weyland-Yutani Resistance" fighters and ultimately having Space Marines and Resistance fighters battling aliens a space station. The second movie would be the invasion of Aliens on Earth, with an all out battle, not some small scale crap like the AVP movies present.

I think that you could do a prequel that would set-up that two-film story. A film about a benevolent, space-faring race who discover and are forced to battle the aliens, yet manage to contain the aliens. They will not bring about their extinction because it's not the Space Jockies' place to say whether the aliens should so the unhatched eggs are packaged up for transfer to a remote planetoid. Then have a film pick up after Aliens with Bishop, Newt, and Ripley in a coma, where by you can make the third and forth films "illusions and allegories" as to why Ripley sacrificing herself would never stop the Xenomorph threat and that the only way to stop them is to find their source and to eliminate them.

Last edited by gmanca; 05-31-09 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-31-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Oh my gooood. Why all the bitching about remakes? Seriously, you still have your original so who cares.
Old 05-31-09, 02:27 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by rennervision
Unfortunately, I think the success of that movie is what is responsible for a lot of this reboot nonsense. So would I rather "reimagine" an alternate timeline with or without Batman Begins? Now that's the question.
Here's the thing. Batman had to have a reboot in order to be successful. Batman and Robin was so universally reviled that WB could not make another film in that universe and expect any return on investment. And they gave the movie to a talented director with actual vision, who was able to take the source material and forge it into something new and vital. The same could be said for Star Trek. I don't think the same could be said for TCM or a lot of these other remakes. I think things should have to get pretty drastic in a series in order to demand a reboot.
Old 05-31-09, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
At first, I was of the thought that only a prequel would work in continuing the Alien saga, but after reading what would have been a two-film story of Hicks, Bishop, Newt, Aliens, and a comatose Ripley, there was a great story that should have been made. Apparently the producers' idea was to have one film be about the Sulaco escape pod being recovered by "Weyland-Yutani Resistance" fighters and ultimately having Space Marines and Resistance fighters battling aliens a space station. The second movie would be the invasion of Aliens on Earth, with an all out battle, not some small scale crap like the AVP movies present.
I think that is how 3&4 probably should have gone. Aliens on earth really needed to happen, not some remote prison planet and a military ship nearly 300 years in the future.

And I don't recognize the "AVP" movies. They add nothing to timeline between the events of "Predator 2" and "Alien" (which gives humans enough time to develop space travel).
Old 06-01-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me as excited. I know Ridley mentions on the Alien commentary he's always wanted to make a film exploring the origins of the aliens/the boneship & space jockey so if we get something that contains any of that I'll be thrilled.
Old 06-01-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm completely down with either a prequel or a direct sequel. As far as remakes, I wouldn't have a problem with remaking the second movie, and finding someone less annoying to play Hudson.

Last edited by mndtrp; 06-01-09 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Hicks was fine, Hudson was the annoying one.
Old 06-01-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But...Bill Paxton!
Old 06-02-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How exactly would a movie about the space jockeys work when the space jockey race is gigantic? And completely alien themselves. It'd practically have to be animated.
Old 06-02-09, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forced perspective?

Or, dare I say it, CG?
Old 06-10-09, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20283385,00.html

A prequel to Alien is in the works, but who is going to direct it?
When word leaked earlier this week that Ridley Scott was working on a prequel to his 30-year-old sci-fi classic, the original Alien, fans pounced on the news. But the project may have already hit its first speed bump: The filmmakers and Fox, the studio that owns the rights to the franchise, seem to have conflicting ideas about who should direct. Scott plans to produce and had handpicked commercial director Carl Erik Rinsch — whose ads for German electronics company Saturn are known for their futuristic flourishes — to make his feature debut.

Rinsch's selection is complicated by the rumor that he's romantically involved with Scott's daughter, Jordan, also a commercial helmer. (Reps for both Jordan Scott and Rinsch did not respond to calls to confirm.) Sources at Fox, however, tell EW that the studio is not interested in greenlighting a prequel unless Scott himself directs. Scott and his reps didn’t respond to calls for comment.

But Tony Scott, Ridley's brother and producing partner, was unequivocal in his support for Rinsch when asked about the project last weekend at the junket for his movie The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. ''Carl is doing the prequel to Alien,'' Tony told a reporter from Collider.com, before adding: ''I'm excited because Ridley created the original and Carl is one of the family.'' Just which ''family,'' personal or professional or both, was unclear. — Christine Spines
Old 06-11-09, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting...I'd totally would like to hear what the plot is exactly..cuz...well...the Alien series really starts with Scott's original..cuz..well...we humans made contact for the 1st time.
Old 06-11-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Well ... I wouldn't say that ... it is never really clear if the company knew what the Aliens were when the Nostromo was rerouted. Was it a generic directive to divert for any alien life? Or did the company know (ala Aliens)?

Chronologically (unless we are throwing it out) AVP would have been the first known contact.
Old 06-11-09, 11:51 PM
Banned

I think we're throwing it out...it totally shits over any design of creatures and what they were.
Old 06-12-09, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm alright with AVP being thrown out.

My interpretation of "Aliens" was that the events of the first movie were forgotten, and only after Ripley (and the escape pod) were found, the info was analyzed (for her meeting/hearing) and Burk send people to specific coordinates to find the Aliens.
Old 07-30-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridley Scott confirmed as director!
Old 07-30-09, 11:15 PM
Banned

HOLY SHIT! BADASS...now...what the fuck will there be to tell? The Space Jockey incident? I need plot details. Cuz...a prequel to Alien is well...going to be totally about Aliens interacting with the....aliens?
Old 07-30-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. If Scott can retain the tone of the first film, and he has a good script to work with this could be something very special.

Hopefully a return to form for this once great filmmaker.
Old 07-30-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome news! Hopefully having Scott on board will allow him to take chances, perhaps choosing a downer ending.
Old 07-30-09, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

That's a move I did not expect. Now we have to hope the script doesn't suck.
Old 07-31-09, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Awesome news! Hopefully having Scott on board will allow him to take chances, perhaps choosing a downer ending.
Well, if it's about the space jockey, then we already know it's a downer ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.