Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Originally Posted by Rob V
I appreciate the insight from everyone in this thread. The wife and I caught this on BD 3D last week and thought it was good but not great -- for many of the same reasons already mentioned.

My chief question is: Why did David spike the Dr's coffee with a bug? I just don't get it. What was he hoping to gain by this... that he would impregnate his girlfriend?? That seems like a stretch.
I think it was a "let's see what happens" experiment.
Old 01-02-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
My chief question is: Why did David spike the Dr's coffee with a bug? I just don't get it. What was he hoping to gain by this... that he would impregnate his girlfriend?? That seems like a stretch.
(from the writers' commentary) David's primary directive was to determine immortality for Weyland, and he viewed the humans around him as nothing more than guinea pigs. His infecting of Halloway was simply an experiment, since there was no engineer to interview. When he asks Halloway, "what would you be willing to do to achieve your goal?", he gets the response, "anything", which essentially absolves David of any ethical issues in achieving his own directive. Also, robots are fucking aresholes.
Old 01-02-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
(from the writers' commentary) David's primary directive was to determine immortality for Weyland, and he viewed the humans around him as nothing more than guinea pigs. His infecting of Halloway was simply an experiment, since there was no engineer to interview. When he asks Halloway, "what would you be willing to do to achieve your goal?", he gets the response, "anything", which essentially absolves David of any ethical issues in achieving his own directive. Also, robots are fucking aresholes.
Yeah, that was my interpretation from just watching the film. Weyland told David to "try harder" when they first thought all the Engineers were dead, so David used the black oil on Halloway to see what would happen.
Old 01-02-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Ahhh, that was the black oil. For some reason I thought it was a bug. Thanks guys!
Old 01-02-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something else that must have been said by someone somewhere, but: X-FILES DID IT FIRST. :/
Old 01-03-13, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
I agree. Except that Halloway was the asshole in that scenario, which made David feel good to pick on him. Shaw getting "pregnant" was just a happy acciddent.

That said, I wouldn't take the writer's commentary at face value. In it it's explained that we are indeed seeing the creation of the first xenomorph at the end of the film. However, that is contradicted by the Xenomorph Queen painting in the room with the giant face and the mountain that looks an awefull lot like the face of the Alien-Human hybrid from Alien Ressurection. I think that, much like Blade Runner before it, Prometheus is a film where Ridley Scott is very much at odds with his screenwriters.
Old 01-06-13, 04:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-BWnTW4rL0U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-06-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Wow. The guy making the video doesn't know the hand gesture for "fuck off"?
Old 01-27-13, 05:05 PM

I watched this today having managed to avoid any spoilers or reviews so I went into this with only the expectation of a sort-of prequel to Alien from the pre-release buzz. I loved the look and atmosphere and was really digging the movie until the point where the two scientists are lost in the cave. I won't rehash the criticisms that have been pretty well covered already, but suffice it to say the plot was a mess from there on. It also felt very jarring how they kept swerving away from making this a direct prequel.

And the first time I saw the X-Files movie I was high as balls and totally thought the alien in it was an Alien xenomorph. That actually almost works now.
Old 02-14-13, 02:00 AM

I really hope Ridley Scott will release an Director's Cut in the Future. He says this version is the Director's Version. But alot was cut out of the movie (not just the deleted scenes) which kinda left some unexplained scenes or character choises. But who knows maybe when Paradise releases in 2015
Old 02-14-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by cour8ois
I really hope Ridley Scott will release an Director's Cut in the Future. He says this version is the Director's Version. But alot was cut out of the movie (not just the deleted scenes) which kinda left some unexplained scenes or character choises.
You don't want a Director's Cut then, you want an Extended Cut.
Old 02-15-13, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-BWnTW4rL0U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Watched it last night and I agree with that guy, Prometheus is a giant, polished, turd. It's so fucking dumb it might as well have been produced by Sy-Fi/Asylum...

Oops, gotta go, Sharktopus is on. Won't be as purdyyyyyy but at least it will have babes in bikinis ans some good laughs.