Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.21%
30.81%
31.37%
5.32%
2.80%
1.40%
1.68%
0%
0%
0.28%
0.56%
I have no desire to boldly go where many will go before.
0.56%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No Khan. No, no, no. They need to come up with new ideas.
I've said it countless times before: what drove the franchise into the ground a decade ago is that they became entirely too focused on telling Star Trek stories. Like all great science-fiction, Trek is at its best when it tells stories about our society, using alien worlds and peoples as allegories. There are probably several great stories to be told using Khan, but I'm afraid the interest is just in telling a Khan story. And that holds absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever.
Old 07-20-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How about this:

Instead of having the Enterprise come across the Botany Bay, the Klingons find it first. And Khan, being the supreme badass he is, takes over the Klingon Empire and then sets his sights on the Federation. So you have Klingons being villains again. Khan is back, and not just in a rehash of Space Seed or Wrath of Khan. Khan and his supermen actually get to lead an Empire full of the galaxy's most hardcore warriors.
Khan couldn't even take over the Enterprise, and you think the Klingons are going to roll over for him?

If you want to reuse a classic Trek plot, how about the Doomsday Machine. Don't even change the plot. Just redo the original episode with modern effects. Or maybe throw in the idea used in the Star Trek novels that the DM was a prototype anti-Borg weapon, and have Old Spock come back to tell Starfleet that they might want to capture it for future use.
Old 07-20-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Agreed. The plot of Star Trek was its weakest element (well that and JJ Abrams obsession with super duper close-ups), and it's a vast universe, they need to come up with something good and original.
Exactly. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.
Old 07-20-10, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something new please.
Old 07-20-10, 09:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 407 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Khan couldn't even take over the Enterprise, and you think the Klingons are going to roll over for him?

If you want to reuse a classic Trek plot, how about the Doomsday Machine. Don't even change the plot. Just redo the original episode with modern effects. Or maybe throw in the idea used in the Star Trek novels that the DM was a prototype anti-Borg weapon, and have Old Spock come back to tell Starfleet that they might want to capture it for future use.
ugh. no more old Spock.
Old 07-20-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any story ideas involving Spock 1.0 are going to be relegated to fan fiction or non-canonical books and comics because Leonard Nimoy is officially retired from acting.

The original episode was a cautionary tale about nuclear weapons. We're not really afraid on a daily basis of any of the governments that have them; now we're afraid of terrorists answerable to no one getting hold of them. The Doomsday Machine plot device could still work, but you'd have to establish who is responsible for unleashing it to connect with today's anxieties.

That could turn out to be interesting since the original episode never did that, so we could actually learn something new about the fictitious Trek universe in the process, so long as they actually take the time to invent something new and don't force some contrived story about how it was built by the Borg (yawn). But it seems like all the buzz is about basically just re-making things we've already seen before so I have little hope that this next film's story is going to really be something original.
Old 07-20-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Any story ideas involving Spock 1.0 are going to be relegated to fan fiction or non-canonical books and comics because Leonard Nimoy is officially retired from acting.

The original episode was a cautionary tale about nuclear weapons. We're not really afraid on a daily basis of any of the governments that have them; now we're afraid of terrorists answerable to no one getting hold of them. The Doomsday Machine plot device could still work, but you'd have to establish who is responsible for unleashing it to connect with today's anxieties.

That could turn out to be interesting since the original episode never did that, so we could actually learn something new about the fictitious Trek universe in the process, so long as they actually take the time to invent something new and don't force some contrived story about how it was built by the Borg (yawn). But it seems like all the buzz is about basically just re-making things we've already seen before so I have little hope that this next film's story is going to really be something original.

They actually started to go down that path - pretty well - on Star Trek Enterprsie for a seson arc, but unfortunately it fell apart. I thought it was Trek doing what Trek does so well - put modern issues in a new context to tease out the issue.
Old 07-20-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

You forget that the Klingon armada took a huge blow from Nero in the last movie. It's the perfect window for Khan and his super men to swoop in and take over.
Old 07-20-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You forget that the Klingon armada took a huge blow from Nero in the last movie. It's the perfect window for Khan and his super men to swoop in and take over.
We only know that they lost a lot of ships; we don't know how big a chunk that actually represented of the overall fleet. And in any event, "Khan and the Klingons" is the stuff of fan fiction; it falls very short of what I expect from a film.
Old 07-20-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

That could turn out to be interesting since the original episode never did that, so we could actually learn something new about the fictitious Trek universe in the process, so long as they actually take the time to invent something new and don't force some contrived story about how it was built by the Borg (yawn).

[nitpick] The novel Vendetta speculated that it was created to *fight* the Borg. And that's really all the info we got on it. I realize we want something new, but the word "Borg" never needs to be mentioned onscreen, just that this device exists, and it exists for one reason only: to kick ass.

I agree that rehashing old stories is not really a good way to keep this reboot going, but then again if you're doing something new I wouldn't mind new takes on ideas only given minimal exposure in the original continuity.
Old 07-20-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
[nitpick] The novel Vendetta speculated that it was created to *fight* the Borg. And that's really all the info we got on it. I realize we want something new, but the word "Borg" never needs to be mentioned onscreen, just that this device exists, and it exists for one reason only: to kick ass.
I actually read that book, but it's been probably 18 years. Anyway, like I said, if they were to re-use it, I think it has to stay as an allegory for nuclear weapons, but contextualized for the threat of terrorism today. The weapon itself isn't the threat; it's the idea that someone else has a weapon of mass destruction and has decided to actually use it that's the hook of the story. I still think the establishment of who is responsible for the machine is key to telling that story; that it exists only to "kick ass" is insufficient.

I agree that rehashing old stories is not really a good way to keep this reboot going, but then again if you're doing something new I wouldn't mind new takes on ideas only given minimal exposure in the original continuity.
I agree, for the most part, so long as the story they tell isn't about Star Trek. I know how that sounds, but way too much of Trek storytelling became too concerned with discussing Klingons as though they were real instead of discussing Klingons as the Russians. I enjoy the insights into fictitious culture as much as the next geek, but it seems too often stories rested on name-checking previous Trek stories instead of telling relevant stories about our society.
Old 07-20-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Star Trek is multi-faceted and it works in more ways that just being a temporal allegory. But if they must go in that direction, I'd love to see something about Section 31/Shadow government work, perhaps blended with the alien parasite take-over idea that was pretty strong in the TNG episode Conspiracy.
Old 07-20-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmanca
I think Star Trek is multi-faceted and it works in more ways that just being a temporal allegory. But if they must go in that direction, I'd love to see something about Section 31/Shadow government work, perhaps blended with the alien parasite take-over idea that was pretty strong in the TNG episode Conspiracy.
To be sure, just being allegorical isn't sufficient. That's where Insurrection fell short; it had an interesting premise, but it didn't surround that premise with enough interesting Star Trek elements to justify it being a Star Trek feature. The Abrams re-boot may have been a tad vapid, but when I saw Spock beaming down to Vulcan with his phaser drawn, I knew I was watching Star Trek and not a story that could easily have been told without using that universe. (And that upwards-looking zoom shot of Quinto was great.)
Old 07-21-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I agree, for the most part, so long as the story they tell isn't about Star Trek. I know how that sounds, but way too much of Trek storytelling became too concerned with discussing Klingons as though they were real instead of discussing Klingons as the Russians. I enjoy the insights into fictitious culture as much as the next geek, but it seems too often stories rested on name-checking previous Trek stories instead of telling relevant stories about our society.

I kinda agree, in fact, that's not the first time I've heard that argument used. It started making the online community rounds during the VOY/ENT years. The basic idea was that for TOS, you had people that had fought in Korea, and were watching the news about Vietnam and other things on the nightly news, and they were taking those stories and putting them into the Trek POV. For the later series (even TNG to a degree), the writers were more concerned with writing "Trek stories" instead of "telling stories using Trek".

That said, and I think we agree on this (esp regarding the Doomsday Machine), if there was something that was touching on an idea in the original timeline, that's both a good Trek story and a good story about "something", they shouldn't refuse to re-use it just because it was already touched upon.
Old 07-21-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Exactly. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.
Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon!
Old 07-21-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I kinda agree, in fact, that's not the first time I've heard that argument used. It started making the online community rounds during the VOY/ENT years.
It's a perspective that's been around longer than that, really. I can't point you in the direction of anything offhand, but I remember having those conversations at conventions long before Voyager debuted.

That said, and I think we agree on this (esp regarding the Doomsday Machine), if there was something that was touching on an idea in the original timeline, that's both a good Trek story and a good story about "something", they shouldn't refuse to re-use it just because it was already touched upon.
I think the remastered original series episodes are sufficient for getting a more up-to-date look at that era. I've seen the hokey Doomsday Machine, and I've seen the truly menacing Doomsday Machine. If they want to recycle it for a feature film, I'm open to the idea but they better come up with a really solid story to justify showing me something I've already seen. That's my stance on any other element already established in the Trek canon.

And I have absolutely NO interest in seeing any conflation of 24th Century elements with the new 23rd Century characters. It's a big galaxy; there's plenty of opportunity for entirely new stories with new characters. That's the thing I appreciated most about the original series when I rewatched it on DVD a couple of years ago: aside from the Romulans, Klingons and Harry Mudd, there were no repeat visits by species or characters. (Yes, we saw two green skinned chicks, but only one was actually an Orion; the other was a human appearing as an Orion.) Each time out, we saw something new.

By the end of The Next Generation it felt like there was nothing left to explore because we were seeing familiar faces on a semi-regular basis. It worked on Deep Space Nine to have recurring characters because of the nature of the show, and among my long list of complaints about Voyager is that it took them two seasons to traverse Kazon space and then five seasons to get through Borg territory. I realize the Borg had a pretty good grip on things, but the fact that an episode exclusively dealing with them would be followed by an episode dealing with a society that didn't seem to be under any duress living within Borg territory dispelled the whole thing for me. Either they're absolute conquerors or they're not, and Voyager made clear that they aren't.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that repetition of species and characters is something that I think contributed greatly to the decline in fan interest. Maybe it's because we didn't feel like we were seeing anything new, maybe it's because the writers became complacent or lazy or developed tunnel vision for the Star Trek elements and forgot to look outside to the world in which they lived for inspiration. I don't know; I wasn't in the writers's room. I just know that when I contrast the original series with its spin-offs, I see a much clearer sense of exploration--of the fictitious as well as the issues of our world--in the original. If they are serious about reinvigorating the franchise, they have to resurrect that energy, and they can't do it by recycling things we've already seen.