Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) The Reviews Thread
25.21%
30.81%
31.37%
5.32%
2.80%
1.40%
1.68%
0%
0%
0.28%
0.56%
I have no desire to boldly go where many will go before.
0.56%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-09, 06:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 608 Likes on 522 Posts

Movie:
"Star Trek" (2009) (Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Eric Bana, Bruce Greenwood, Karl Urban, Winona Ryder)

Release Date:
5/08/2009

Rating:
PG-13

Running Time:
126 min. (2h. 06m.)

Rotten Tomatoes Reviews:
Fresh:252 Rotten:14 (96% as of 7/14/09)
RT Link...

Brian O's 'DVD Talk Collectors Series Review'

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Xy-7LoCR7SECNqN_P1kiOw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Xy-7LoCR7SECNqN_P1kiOw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-14-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 06:08 PM

Re: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) The Reviews Thread

With Thursday night viewings only 2 days away...

‘Supermallet’ has seen it 3 times already!! and I am sure will grace us with an in-depth review in this thread shortly

28 reviews into RT, all positive.

I for one can't wait!

Please continue pre-hype discussion in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...rt-2-a-24.html
Old 05-05-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently there are general release showings starting today? over at Trekbbs.org, there are viewer reports from those that have gone and seen it today..
Old 05-06-09, 05:24 PM

59 and 3 with 95% fresh at RT.

please post reviews when you've seen it. think it's better to separate from the existing 25+ pager.
Old 05-06-09, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my review, posted on another Internet Brands website: http://www.avrev.com/theatrical-movi...trek-2009.html

Warning: I do detail a portion of the first third of the film in the fourth paragraph. If you wish the plot to remain a secret, skip paragraph four.
Old 05-06-09, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Here's my review, posted on another Internet Brands website: http://www.avrev.com/theatrical-movi...trek-2009.html

Warning: I do detail a portion of the first third of the film in the fourth paragraph. If you wish the plot to remain a secret, skip paragraph four.
nice! thanks Sm.
Old 05-06-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be seeing it for my second time tonight. First time was in stunning DLP; this time will be in IMAX.

The best way to sum it up? This is the Batman Begins for the Trek franchise. It may not be the most action-packed summer blockbuster; but it delivers in plot, acting, and overall awesomeness.

I loved the way it handled our previous knowledge of the franchise and if all goes well, the sequel has nowhere to go but up.
Old 05-06-09, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I will be seeing it for my second time tonight. First time was in stunning DLP; this time will be in IMAX.

The best way to sum it up? This is the Batman Begins for the Trek franchise. It may not be the most action-packed summer blockbuster; but it delivers in plot, acting, and overall awesomeness.

I loved the way it handled our previous knowledge of the franchise and if all goes well, the sequel has nowhere to go but up.
how was Chris Pine? never heard of him. does he carry this movie like he should? out of all the actors, who steps up big time and does Simon Pegg have a nice role as Scotty?
Old 05-06-09, 05:46 PM
Banned by request

Chris Pine is Kirk. Period.
Old 05-06-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Pine makes Kirk his own and is rock solid. I was very impressed. The same can't be said about Quinto who does more of a Nimoy impression with his Spock.

The film is more of a Kirk-Spock story with very little focus on the secondary characters. Cho, Pegg and Urban are the other standouts on the cast; but the three get very little to do within the constraints of the story.
Old 05-06-09, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

I think Quinto and Saldana were the least like their respective counterparts. Quinto plays Spock very differently from how Nimoy ever did, aside from a few eyebrow raises and familiar lines here and there.
Old 05-06-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think they were trying for impressions of their counterparts.
Old 05-07-09, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World's first film review in Klingon for new Star Trek movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbbPjTgLhI

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...star_trek_film
Old 05-07-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post

I liked that review SM. And I did skip paragraph 4.

Not being plugged in to the hoopla, I thought the movie opened on Friday, but even out here in the boondocks, it seems to be opening today. But I will have to wait 'til tomorrow. Really looking forward to this after your review and that of Brian Orndorf.
Old 05-07-09, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Thank you! I read Brian's review after I had written mine and I see we both mention getting goosebumps. The movie really does do that to you.
Old 05-07-09, 08:24 PM

i wish i could see it tomorrow, but i don't think i will be able to until Monday
Old 05-07-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got back from the 7pm showing and all I can say is WOW! As A life long Trekkie/Trekker I can safely say that "Trek" is in good/great hands! I did miss "Horner's" score but overall, it was an amazing film that I will gladly see again & again. I'm already counting down the days til the Blu Ray release! From the first frame to the title card to the end credits is sheer goosebump and heartwarming fun!
Old 05-07-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

I think this will be first movie of the summer season, I might catch it in Imax later this week.
Old 05-07-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from an IMAX show. GREATLY exceeded my expectations. It works on all levels... if you've never seen a second of Trek you'll like it. If you have casual knowledge of the franchise you'll like it, and if you're hardcore you'll like it.

It's better than Nemesis. Better than Insurrection. And better than every episode of Voyager put together.
Old 05-07-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got back from seeing this, and... wow. It modernizes and reenergizes the storytelling, effects, and filmmaking while retaining everything that Trek fans love about the spirit and emotion of Star Trek.

Aside from a couple questionable plot points, the story is entertaining if not entirely original, but who cares? Trek is back.
Old 05-07-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 136 Posts

This movie was in a word, fantastic. Perfect from start to finish. Never a dull moment. All turned in great performances. And the special effects were amazing. This will not only be one of my favorite movies of the summer, but most likely of the year too. Highest rating 10/10.
Old 05-07-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOVED it. Just awesome from start to finish and the characters are played to perfection. Karl Urban and Simon Pegg stole a lot of scenes and Pine/Quinto are great in their roles. Love the humour, loved the action/effects and thought the cinematography was fantastic. Looked great on the IMAX screen and really paid respect to the heritage of the franchise while also moving forward and reinvigorating it... can't wait for the sequel. JJ Abrams continues his impressive career with another fantastic blockbuster that I'm sure will be on my top 10 list at years end. Going again at least twice this weekend
Old 05-07-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 261 Likes on 184 Posts

Love Love Love Loved it. This is the best movie ive seen this year. Fantastic from start to finish, and only allowed you to catch your breath for a quick moment in the middle.

Star Trek deserves every dollar it makes, and I eagerly await the blu-ray and a sequel. There was much applause at the end of my showing, and a great reaction throughout.
Old 05-07-09, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I normally hated the whole huge mythos of the Star Trek thing..while I did enjoy some of the films. Patrick Stewart is my personal reason for keeping my attention on ST. This film was pretty kickass. I've seen bits and pieces of ST and well this film totally complemented the good stuff that I saw. Sad to see not so much of Scotty but damn he was cool too. Urban was a great Bones. Loved the little nod of Shatner acting in that oh so funny bit. Great film. Can't wait for the DVD.
Old 05-07-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Ignoring for a moment the impact the film has on established franchise continuity, my only nitpick is that I felt there wasn't enough development of Nero.
Spoiler:
His motivation is explained clearly enough, but I have a problem accepting that the guy simply goes around stewing for a quarter century. I mean, I understand the guy has sufficient cause for his vendetta, but what do he and his crew do for that time? I mean, no one asks, "Why don't we content ourselves with killing the Spock that's alive now?" Or possibly saying, "You know, we were just miners in the 24th Century; here, we're the most powerful ship there is by a longshot. We could just, you know, conquer everything instead of laying low the whole time."

Still, the movie was intense, fun and exciting, and it's been a long time since the franchise has been those things.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.