Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you wish were never made?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you wish were never made?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Movies you wish were never made?

Originally Posted by E. Honda
Any movie starring Jason Statham
Not a fan of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch?
Old 04-07-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The only thing I really wish "hadn't happened" in movies is a horror staple: the return of a character from the original so they can die in the first five minutes of the follow up.
Yet you like Alien 3? Even though the characters aren't exactly "present" at the time of death, that's one of the worst offenders.

Don't get me wrong: I like Alien 3 as well...but I wasn't a die-hand fan of the franchise at the time, and thusly hadn't become as attached to the central characters.
Old 04-07-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alien 3 + Alien Resurrection
T3
MiB 2
Jurassic Park 3
Diamonds Are Forever
A View to a Kill
Old 04-07-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

None, it is not my place to "wish" movies were not made. Too many ramifications that can result from it. Someone makes a turd but that person gets noticed goes on to make my favorite movie etc...all kinds of scenarios that you can make up with actors/directors etc. from that.

If they are that bad I just don't try and watch them.

Last edited by d2cheer; 04-07-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Highlander 2

Any Superman movie after Superman II. While I enjoyed Returns, it almost spelled the death of the franchise again. And I'm not sure anyone can defend Superman III or IV.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-07-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

The first two Star Wars movies (1977, 1980). Because if they had never been made, then we never would have gotten RETURN OF THE JEDI, PHANTOM MUCOUS, ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS and REVENGE OF THE SHIT. These last three were so bad that they completely erase anything that may have been good about the first two, so that now the first two are just as bad.

Also, the first two Star Wars films, along with JAWS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, ushered in the era of the summer blockbuster, which has, to my mind, completely retarded the development of cinema as an art form and turned it into nothing more than an amusement park ride. ("Ooh, don't tell me about it, I wanna be surprised!")
Old 04-07-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Forbidden Zone(1982), I am still confused.
Old 04-07-09, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Twilight Zone: The Movie
The Crow

Any other film where a cast or crew member was killed in an on-set accident.
Old 04-07-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaws
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Matrix
Alien
Titanic

...so that I could write and/or direct them, thus becoming rich, famous, and a winner of shiny trophies.
Old 04-07-09, 02:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

"Scary Movie"...this might have been the best of the bunch and mildly amusing, but without it's success we would likely not have any of the
"fill in the blank Movie" and that would be fine with me.
Old 04-07-09, 02:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
There's lost of films I wish hadn't been made - not because they were expressly terrible, just disappointing. Even the bad films can serve as warnings and teaching examples for the future. However - mediocre films, especially adaptations and sequels, are more damaging because the uninformed viewer can be easily swayed by marketing/lack of alternatives/immaturity into thinking those films are good, which taints the benchmark for what makes a good film good.

So, if movies like I Am Legend, Indiana Jones 4, Crash, The Da Vinci Code The Fast and the Furious, and so on had never existed, I'd be fine. Most bad films can simply be dismissed and ignored. Movies like these, however, fool people and get them all confused over what makes a film good. Such people will ardently fight for the quality of The Phantom Menace with no concept of knowing how utterly stupid and foolish it will make him/her seem ten years on. In the meantime, new filmmakers are taught that these films, with their millions of dollars in sales, are the models to emulate.

Of course, if they had never existed, how would I have known them to know that they would be so banal and uninteresting? Movies like these exist so that enlightened people know not to repeat those sad mistakes again.
very nicely said.
Old 04-07-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The first two Star Wars movies (1977, 1980). Because if they had never been made, then we never would have gotten RETURN OF THE JEDI, PHANTOM MUCOUS, ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS and REVENGE OF THE SHIT. These last three were so bad that they completely erase anything that may have been good about the first two, so that now the first two are just as bad.

Also, the first two Star Wars films, along with JAWS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, ushered in the era of the summer blockbuster, which has, to my mind, completely retarded the development of cinema as an art form and turned it into nothing more than an amusement park ride. ("Ooh, don't tell me about it, I wanna be surprised!")
Sorry, found it funny that someone with your screen name would be so adamant about this, but there's probably a story to your name that I'm not privy to.
Old 04-07-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Sorry, found it funny that someone with your screen name would be so adamant about this, but there's probably a story to your name that I'm not privy to.
Don't be sorry, it is funny, isn't it?
Old 04-07-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Jurassic Park. Now before everyone jumps on me, I love the movie, but this ushered in the era of CGI-Summer bullshit that has pervaded 99% of the summer movies for the past 15 years, where they have lost focus on good characters and good story.

Now for every 'The Dark Knight' there are 15 bad summer movies that rely solely on CGI and action to wow the audience and the characters and story take a back seat. To sum it up, Jurassic Park opened the door to endless possibilites to these directors with the advent of CGI in their movies, and I believe the summer blockbuster has gone downhilll ever since. Where have you gone Jaws? Star Wars? Back to the Future?
Old 04-07-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to add

"Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged Me" to my list.

Which would have saved us from "Goldmember" and "The Love Guru".
Old 04-07-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Summerspell
Bad Boys
Crackers
Racing with the Moon
The Falcon and the Snowman
At Close Range
Shangai Surprise
Cool Blue
Colors
Judgment in Berlin
Casualties of War
We're No Angels
State of Grace
Cruise Control
Carlito's Way
Dead Man Walking
Loved
She's So Lovely
U Turn
The Game
Hugo Pool
Hurlyburly
The Thin Red Line
Sweet and Lowdown
Up at the Villa
Before Night Falls
The Weight of Water
The Beaver Trilogy
I am Sam
It's All About Love
Mystic River
21 Grams
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
The Interpreter
All the King's Men
Persepolis
Milk

Last edited by dan30oly; 04-07-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Is that you, Bill O'Reilly?
Old 04-07-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ..some interesting choices. As sequels the Matrix films definitely did not live up to the concept or delivery of the original but as stand-alone films they were extremely fun and entertaining popcorn summer blockbusters, imho.

Even though I've sold my soul over this argument already (in that I try not to care) - I would add "remake" into the mix, specifically Hollywood remakes of certain east Asian films ..or any talk about the possibility (Park Chan-wook's vengeance trilogy for example).

My Sassy Girl (fail)
Il Mare (fail)
Tale of Two Sisters (fail)
Yojimbo (I'm referring only to Last Man Standing - it's fun as hell but it's a terribly silly movie)

Not really as if these films had any long standing legacy within the states or outside their own demographic aside from we wackos that eat the stuff up and assign a grade, but these are all excellent films in their own right and should have been left completely alone. Leave the masses to their own putrid choices ...

edit - title correction

Last edited by visitor Q; 04-08-09 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 09:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any movie with Jack Black in it except Tropic Thunder.
Old 04-07-09, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Seven Samurai (I'm referring only to Last Man Standing - it's fun as hell but it's a terribly silly movie)
Actually it was Yojimbo that it was a remake of. The Magnificent Seven was the remake of Seven Samurai, I still have not seen it...it's on that long ass list of films that I'll eventually see.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-07-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Mallrats
Rocky Balboa
Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
Old 04-08-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Da Vinci code. Enjoyed the book and the other books by Dan Brown but the movie was so boring and crappy and stupid it makes me much less likely to read anything else he writes (if he ever actually finishes another book).
Old 04-08-09, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Yet you like Alien 3? Even though the characters aren't exactly "present" at the time of death, that's one of the worst offenders.

Don't get me wrong: I like Alien 3 as well...but I wasn't a die-hand fan of the franchise at the time, and thusly hadn't become as attached to the central characters.
Unlike in a horror franchise, where the characters are generally shown to have 1) been rescued, 2) processed by police, 3) reunited with loved ones, 4) traveled to new locations, and 5) then proceeded to live for several days, weeks, or even longer, Alien³, all intents and purposes, picks up immediately following Aliens. It makes sense that those characters are still together, and they aren't manipulatively paraded in front of the camera as if they're going to be the main characters, only to be reduced to a "gotcha!' moment.

And it is my attachment to Ripley that makes the workprint version of Alien³ great. The scene she has just quietly sitting and talking with Charles Dance is the oft-ignored heart of the film.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-08-09 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the (many) problems with "Alien 3" is that Charles Dance isn't in it till the end.

He really needed to be there in the third act as his character is interesting. Instead we got inmates that weren't overly memorable (aside from Charles Dutton).
Old 04-08-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
One of the (many) problems with "Alien 3" is that Charles Dance isn't in it till the end.

He really needed to be there in the third act as his character is interesting. Instead we got inmates that weren't overly memorable (aside from Charles Dutton).
Yeah, the inmates are fairly interchangeable, although it's easy to recognize Pete Postlethwaite. I don't know that I would necessarily have said that more Charles Dance would have improved the movie, but, hey, I'll take any criticism that isn't "it's not Aliens 2."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.