Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you wish were never made?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you wish were never made?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies you wish were never made?

The way Hollywood is going with remakes, it might happen.
Old 04-12-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott1598
i was insulted at all and found it a lot of fun.
Agreed. I dug it, would've preferred an R rating, but it's better than I was expecting going in.

Could've been worse. It could've been Die Hard 2 (easily the worst of the entire franchise IMO, what a piece of shit that movie is).
Old 04-13-09, 03:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

i wasn't insulted at all and found it a lot of fun.
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Agreed. I dug it, would've preferred an R rating, but it's better than I was expecting going in.

Could've been worse. It could've been Die Hard 2 (easily the worst of the entire franchise IMO, what a piece of shit that movie is).
fixed.

i actually liked DH 2. at least it stuck to formula. hasn't held up that well though. but 3 for me changed the formula completely and i didn't really like it too much at first. got better with subsequent viewings.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-13-09 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 03:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibes. From 1988
Old 04-13-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fixed.

i actually liked DH 2. at least it stuck to formula.
That's my problem with Die Hard 2.

It's the exact same film as the original. Just with a different setting, lesser action scenes, lesser supporting characters, and just a terrible villain. William Sadler is no Alan Rickman or Jeremy Irons. Hell, he's not even charismatic like Timothy Olyphant is in Live Free.

The whole movie has this "rushed through production" feel and the writers tried too hard to connect it to the first one rather than just letting it stand on it's own and do it's own thing like the following sequels did.

The whole outing just felt like Die Hard-lite; just with less blood yet more foul language (which I have no problem with, I just wish more time was focused on developing memorable set pieces).
Old 04-13-09, 09:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

That's my problem with Die Hard 2.

It's the exact same film as the original. Just with a different setting, lesser action scenes, lesser supporting characters, and just a terrible villain. William Sadler is no Alan Rickman or Jeremy Irons. Hell, he's not even charismatic like Timothy Olyphant is in Live Free.

The whole movie has this "rushed through production" feel and the writers tried too hard to connect it to the first one rather than just letting it stand on it's own and do it's own thing like the following sequels did.

The whole outing just felt like Die Hard-lite; just with less blood yet more foul language (which I have no problem with, I just wish more time was focused on developing memorable set pieces).
maybe so, but the last kill scene is noteworthy. i can watch those flames shoot to the plane from the ground over and over.
Old 04-14-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies that I have resisted to watch, no matter what:

- Exorcist sequels
- The Crow sequels

For me there's only one The Exorcist movie and one The Crow movie.
Old 04-14-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst part about Die Hard 2 is it contains the worst line ever written in a sequel: "How does the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" Don't ask that question, Hollywood sequel. Please, don't.
Old 04-14-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I like Die Hard 4, but I would have preferred it to be R. The Unrated cut is clearly faked (almost all the f-bombs are obviously dubbed in, the blood is digital), so that didn't help, either.
Yeah, it sounds like there is still a cut missing. The PG-13 has clear dubbing problems over the salty language, and it sounds like the Unrated goes overboard in the opposite direction.

It's a fun film though and I like it second only to the original, with 'Vengeance' not too far behind.
Old 04-14-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The worst part about Die Hard 2 is it contains the worst line ever written in a sequel: "How does the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" Don't ask that question, Hollywood sequel. Please, don't.
I loved this line. Movies never have the balls to acknowledge the the unlikelihood of the hero getting in similar scrapes all the time.
Old 04-14-09, 02:15 PM

Erin Brockovich

Because then we'd never have to refer to Julia Roberts as an Oscar Winner and Ellen Burstyn would have received her rightful award for Requiem for a Dream
Old 04-14-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

he's not even charismatic like Timothy Olyphant is in Live Free.
I agree DH2 was the worst of the franchise but you actually thought Timothy Olyphant was better than William Sadler? C'mon now.... I usually like Timothy Olyphant but he was horrible in Live Free.
Old 04-14-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not a Timothy Olyphant fan. Worst of the DH villains.
Old 04-15-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I loved this line. Movies never have the balls to acknowledge the the unlikelihood of the hero getting in similar scrapes all the time.
Yeah. me too.
Old 04-15-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
For me there's only one The Exorcist movie and one The Crow movie.
Exorcist III is actually quite good.
Old 04-15-09, 04:53 PM

Scream deserves a mention. What was a good concept--taking the overdone slasher-horror flick and satirizing it--has been bastardized beyond meaning with the onslaught of Scary Movie/Teen Movie/Not Another Teen Movie/Making a Bad Movie Even Worse Movie.
Old 04-18-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. A Beoootiful Mind, for grossly distorting the life of John Nash
2. Hannibal, simply unnecessary
3. V for Vendetta, for distorting the themes of the source material and ruining any chance for a faithful adaptation to ever be made
Old 04-18-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Wow ..some interesting choices. As sequels the Matrix films definitely did not live up to the concept or delivery of the original but as stand-alone films they were extremely fun and entertaining popcorn summer blockbusters, imho.
Matrix 3 certainly wasn't: it was released in the Winter.

I think I'd only wish certain sequels were never made so that possible a different sequel of the film had been made. So I'm not saying there never should've been a Matrix 2 or 3, just that I wish the existing versions hadn't been made, and different, better sequels had.

As for remakes of foreign films, I find them mostly unnecessary, but also easily ignorable. At the least, they raise the awareness of the original. There's been a few instances where talk of an upcoming remake was the first time I heard of the original film. The only thing I have against these remakes is when they hold up the domestic release of the original, as what happened with Ringu.
Old 04-18-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The Matrix 3 was just needlessly bad. Corny, boring, and squandered any hope of the series having a proper ending.

I enjoy remakes of foreign flicks when they expand upon an idea or go in another direction. Scene for scene remakes or movies that hang close to the original are pointless.
Old 04-18-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Blade Runner.

I will tell you why, for those of you who aren't cross-eyed with rage. Prior to BR, futuristic movies had a generally positive view of the future. Yes, '2001' did feature a computer going bonkers but it did look at man going into space with interesting new technology.
Fahrenheit 451
THX 1138
Mad Max
A Boy and His Dog
Soylent Green
Rollerball
The Planet of the Apes series.
A Clockwork Orange
Death Race 2000
Damnation Alley
Deathsport
The Omega Man
Zardoz
The Last Man on Earth
La Jetee
Alphaville
Metropolis
The Time Machine

All these films were made before Blade Runner, quite a number of them hits.

I can't recall a positive, optimistic view of the future ever since. Blade Runner ruined the future for all filmmakers.
Back to the Future Part II
Jetsons: The Movie
Bicentennial Man
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

If you go back and look at futuristic films made before Blade Runner, the majority of them portrayed something as being wrong with that future. Star Trek the series was "optimistic" about the future of mankind, but still had conflict with Klingons and other races/planets the Enterprise encountered.

Oh, and if Spielberg fraks up the live action 'Ghost in the Shell' I'll be adding that title to the list as well.
You can draw a direct line from Ghost in the Shell back to Blade Runner. If BR had never been made, then likely GitS never would've either.
Old 04-18-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Exorcist III is actually quite good.
And it makes a pretty darn good follow-up to the original - making Part 2 all that easier to ignore.
Old 04-18-09, 03:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Traxan
*dons his flame suit*

Blade Runner.

I will tell you why, for those of you who aren't cross-eyed with rage. Prior to BR, futuristic movies had a generally positive view of the future. Yes, '2001' did feature a computer going bonkers but it did look at man going into space with interesting new technology.

Oh, and if Spielberg fraks up the live action 'Ghost in the Shell' I'll be adding that title to the list as well.
So you prefer your SF with sugar on top?