Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

World War Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
World War Z

Directed by Marc Forster, written by J. Michael Straczynski.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ry=world+war+z
Old 11-17-08, 11:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I heard about a film version for at least two years now, glad to see that the film version is finally making some progress.
Old 11-17-08, 11:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I, for one, welcome quick cut closeup shots during all the action sequences. Because that's far preferable to actually being able to see what's going on.
Old 11-17-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No need to worry, this is from the highly-acclaimed writer of "Jake and the Fatman" as well as Murder, She Wrote: A Story to Die For, the TV movie that changed it all back in 2000.
Old 11-17-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

World War Z is an amazing book. Hopefully they can translate it successfully to the big screen without losing too much from the book. I would've loved to have seen this as an HBO or Showtime miniseries.
Old 11-17-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, I was looking forward to this, but after seeing Quantum of Solace last night...

Originally Posted by CreatureX
I would've loved to have seen this as an HBO or Showtime miniseries.
Given how the book is written, I always thought that was the best way to do the story justice.
Old 11-17-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Whoo-hoo. Can't get enough of impending zombiepocalypse!
Old 11-17-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, I was looking forward to this, but after seeing Quantum of Solace last night...

Given how the book is written, I always thought that was the best way to do the story justice.
Yeah, Showtime could probably handle it --- but where's the 2nd Season of Jeremiah on DVD?
Old 12-04-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The screenwriter speaks...

J. Michael Straczynski On ‘World War Z’: ‘The Scale Of What We’re Doing Here Is Phenomenal’
Published by Rick Marshall on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 12:43 pm.

When “Quantum of Solace” director Marc Forster was chosen to helm the adaptation of Max Brooks’ “World War Z” zombie-stravaganza, we noted that it was a surprising pairing — but with noted television, movie and comics author J. Michael Straczynski already penning the screenplay and Brad Pitt’s Plan B producing, the project was certainly developing some heat. Now, with “Solace” in its fifth impressive week at the box office, MTV News spoke to Straczynski about the addition of Forster to the already buzzworthy project and how he plans to adapt Brooks’ novel.

“We talk about it as a thriller, the closest comparison being ‘The Bourne Identity,’” explained Straczynski, who’s also penning a “Forbidden Planet” revisiting. “Most zombie movies to this point have been small, focusing on a few people in a house. And this has got real scare. You’re in India with hundreds of boats trying to get out of there with a tidal wave of zombies. The scale of what we’re doing here is phenomenal.”

Straczynski told us the first draft of the screenplay was completed in the Spring, and the “World War Z” team had been waiting for a director for several months before Forster was attached.

“Now that Marc is here, I’m working with his notes to make one final pass on the script,” said Straczynski. “Our hope is to get it moving into production by the first of the year.”

As for how he plans to adapt the novel, which is written from the perspective of a United Nations agent reporting on the events of the zombie outbreak through interviews and eyewitness statements, Straczynski said he plans to preserve that storytelling angle as much as possible. In fact, the movie will serve to show how the book was produced in Brooks’ zombie-infested world.

“The fictional concept of the book is that its written by someone with the UN, so let’s tell that story,” he explained. “Let’s show the book being written. We follow this guy all over the world as he goes on these interviews, and he has his own personal story as well. You’re cutting between the past and the present, how he got to this point.”

“It has that international feel to it, and because it goes backward and forward in time, we can cherry-pick our favorite moments in the book,” continued Straczynski. “Some of it is crazy in scale. It’s huge. It’s as political as the book was. And it ends with that book being completed.”

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/12/03...is-phenomenal/
At least he admits they're copying Bourne - I hope that's not code for herky-jerky, tightly-shot, quickly-cut, shaky cam work. I'm still looking forward to it, but not as much.
Old 12-04-08, 08:36 AM

I can't wait to see how the film version will make the zombie attack on the boat in India look - in book form it's so apocalyptic and nightmarish.
Old 12-04-08, 09:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Despite being a zombie film fanatic, I found the book a chore to get through... I hope the movie is much, much, much better.
Old 12-04-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that the book was a chore but I think its more due to the style of how the book was written, as I enjoyed the content... JMS can go either way with me, but I love his run on Thor right now so Im high on him.
Old 12-04-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
A zombie thread and Jackskeleton is no where to be found!? This truly is the end...

I've been reading his other book The Zombie Survival Guide, and it's a great read, definitely looking forward to this.
Old 12-04-08, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm far less interested now that Forster is involved.
Old 12-04-08, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm confused as to why they quickly chose Forster especially considering that a lot of ppl are criticizing the latest Bond flick. I mean JMS is great to be a part of this..but ok. I guess my interest is a uh..bit lowered. Damnit.
Old 12-04-08, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Despite being a zombie film fanatic, I found the book a chore to get through... I hope the movie is much, much, much better.
I couldn't even finish the book. I was really looking forward to it, and was so disappointed I just couldn't force myself to read to the end.

For me there was waaaaay too much politics, economics and social infrastructure and not enough zombies. I appreciate the thought he obviously put into how a post-zombie world would actually be-- there were some good ideas in there-- but I didn't care for the execution.

For those of you who haven't read the book, don't expect Dawn of the Dead from the movie. Expect your Econ and Sociology classes, but with more zombies.
Old 12-06-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if Pitt will end up starring in this as well.
Old 12-06-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
One request...no running Z's please...
Old 12-06-08, 08:56 PM

Wow, I loved the book and the politics . Not a chore to me at all. It was funny. I listen to NPR constantly in my car and so many of the WWZ backgrounds seemed to have been featured on NPR for a few years before (India shipyards come to mind). I wondered if Max Brooks had also been listening!

I am not a Quantum Of Solace hater by any means. I just pray that they give this material room to breathe on screen.
Old 12-06-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Oh ... my ... god ...

I loved the book (on the other hand I couldn't finish the Survival Guide) and cannot wait to see this ... hopefully it does not ruin the source material (since it sounds like it will be the story of the "book being written"). Maybe it will spawn a TV series or mini-series!
Old 12-07-08, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I like zombies. yes I do. Hell, if I could sit through Diary of the dead, I can enjoy this in any shape or form. Especially if it's even remotely close to the book.
Old 01-29-09, 09:34 AM

Re: World War Z

kick ass!
Old 01-29-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

That could work
Old 01-31-09, 11:40 AM
Banned

I, too, loved this book, but couldn't get through "Survival Guide". I'm looking forward to this film, though, whoever is involved, lol. I love me some zombiez!
Old 01-31-09, 07:25 PM

the book is great, dont know how it can be translated into a movie unless they focus on just one story and leave others for sequels? This seems like it would be better suited for a mini series on HBO or something.

I would love a movie base on the book, Day by Day Armageddon. Its probably the best zombie book, better then any Zombie flick either. I highly recommend it. you can read the first few pages at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-Zombie-Novel/dp/0978970772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233451330&sr=1-1

if you like Zombie apocalypse this is a must buy, its written like journal and its really intense. I wish more zombie movies were like this book, so many of them just seem to be interested in the Gore.

anyone that loves Zombies must buy this book, the author is also writing a sequel to this book.

Last edited by maingon; 01-31-09 at 07:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.