Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw V

Old 10-27-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the tagline of your poster is "You won't believe how it ends." and then you end the movie the same way the past 4 have ended, you fail.
SAW: We find out that the guy we thought was dead the whole time (jigsaw) was alive and well. AWESOME

SAW II: We find out the video feed was a recording and walhberg's son was in the safe next to him the entire time. And Amanda was working with Jigsaw AWESOME

SAW III: We find out he is the doctors husband. He kills jigsaw only to find out his daughter is trapped somewhere. great ending

SAW IV: We find out it takes place at the exact same time as saw III and det. Hoffman is working with Jigsaw. Great ending

SAW V: ummmm

The ending to SAW V, in my opinion, can't even compare to the great endings of the other films. So if there's a tagline that says "you won't believe how it ends" I expect an amazing ending.

Last edited by firteen88; 10-27-08 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe the Tagline is really for Saw VI? You wouldnt have guessed it ended the way it did... I know i execpted more of a shocker.
Old 10-27-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I just got back from seeing this one. It's definitely not the best in the series but it was a pretty good way to spend an afternoon. My biggest disappointment was the ending. Like others have said, with a tagline like that, I was expecting a bit more.
Old 10-27-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the fact that they're at least trying for continuity throughout the whole series. Maybe in 10 years or so, there will be a special DVD release putting the whole thing in chronological order, like The Godfather.
Old 10-27-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
SAW: We find out that the guy we thought was dead the whole time (jigsaw) was alive and well. AWESOME

SAW II: We find out the video feed was a recording and walhberg's son was in the safe next to him the entire time. And Amanda was working with Jigsaw AWESOME

SAW III: We find out he is the doctors husband. He kills jigsaw only to find out his daughter is trapped somewhere. great ending

SAW IV: We find out it takes place at the exact same time as saw III and det. Hoffman is working with Jigsaw. Great ending

SAW V: ummmm

The ending to SAW V, in my opinion, can't even compare to the great endings of the other films. So if there's a tagline that says "you won't believe how it ends" I expect an amazing ending.
Spoilers?
Old 10-27-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I like the fact that they're at least trying for continuity throughout the whole series. Maybe in 10 years or so, there will be a special DVD release putting the whole thing in chronological order, like The Godfather.
Wow. I can hardly wait for the entire epic movie.
Old 10-27-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoilers?
If you haven't seen the others you probably shouldn't be in this thread
Old 10-27-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
If you haven't seen the others you probably shouldn't be in this thread
Agreed, not sure why anyone would be interested all the way to number 5 in a series and not have seen the previous ones.
Old 10-27-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Now we have to wonder if the last test (VI) will pit Hoffman against Jigsaw's ex-wife. It is not really clear to this point when the autposy of Jigsaw took place. Did the events that we saw in V take place before or after that autopsy? The only other question I have is how many Jigsaw victims had there been before the fat guy in the barbed wire cage from the first one? That particular point beffudles me just a bit.
I kind of think that VI will open with the autopsy tape.
Old 10-29-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think you mean Donnie Wahlberg. Mark Wahlberg certainly has better things to do than be in a Saw movie.
Like making The Happening?
Old 10-29-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Agreed, not sure why anyone would be interested all the way to number 5 in a series and not have seen the previous ones.
I would be one such person. I was curious about it and really have had no interest in the Saw series. Just not my kind of genre. Anyway I looked up the "Needle in a Haystack" scene and watched it on YouTube. If thats all there was to it I'd be highly disappointed in the rest of the "traps." I guess I understand the meaning of the trap, but doesn't seem too creative to me. Was there more to it than that?
Old 10-29-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I would be one such person. I was curious about it and really have had no interest in the Saw series. Just not my kind of genre. Anyway I looked up the "Needle in a Haystack" scene and watched it on YouTube. If thats all there was to it I'd be highly disappointed in the rest of the "traps." I guess I understand the meaning of the trap, but doesn't seem too creative to me. Was there more to it than that?
Yeah, but hopefully you're not one to be complaining about spoilers

I think in context with the rest of the movie and characters that scene was really brutal. The other traps throughout the films are far more gory and creative as far as how they function and how the person has to escape, but that particular one always seems to make people grimace. People's feelings on needles probably help too!
Old 10-29-08, 05:03 PM

Forget about the "won't believe how it ends" tagline, how about the dramatic music and filming of the ending as if something surprising was taking place... it threw me off because I thought I wasn't following.
Old 10-29-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only that, but the boring stuff in the film was watching Strahm investigate all these previous crime scenes to find out info about Hoffman. BUT -- for the audience, we already know that Hoffman is the bad guy, so we're just sitting and watching this guy spend 50 minutes figure out something that we found out in SAW 4!

It was unnecessary.
Old 10-29-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, but hopefully you're not one to be complaining about spoilers

I think in context with the rest of the movie and characters that scene was really brutal. The other traps throughout the films are far more gory and creative as far as how they function and how the person has to escape, but that particular one always seems to make people grimace. People's feelings on needles probably help too!
No spoiler complaints from me. Just to be fair I found a site that explained in great detail each trap along with how the story evolved to what it is today. I read it all.

http://sawfilms.wikia.com/wiki/List_...aw_film_series

There are some pretty nasty things that happen. As you read you can tell "hollywood" seems to take over, but the overall story seems interesting.
Old 10-30-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
Not only that, but the boring stuff in the film was watching Strahm investigate all these previous crime scenes to find out info about Hoffman. BUT -- for the audience, we already know that Hoffman is the bad guy, so we're just sitting and watching this guy spend 50 minutes figure out something that we found out in SAW 4!

It was unnecessary.
I disagree. Strahm's investigation also served as a way to explain Hoffman's involvement with Jigsaw. That was a crucial thing to explain, imo. The lack of explanation for Hoffman's involvement at the end of Saw IV disappointed me quite a bit. At least when it was revealed that Amanda was involved with Jigsaw at the end of II, there was an explanation for it and it made sense.

Plus, Strahm's investigation showed his dedication to his work, and really made him look like a hero. He is an excellent character and I really enjoyed watching his story unfold.

If Saw VI somehow manages to follow a character half as enjoyable as Strahm, I will be more than pleased.
Old 10-31-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I finally got a chance to see the movie last night and really liked it compared to a couple of the sequels.

A friend I saw it with was disappointed with the lack of gore, but I enjoyed the developing story line.

I better "spoiler" the rest because I've got a couple of questions and they probably have to do more with VI and/or VII than the previous movies:

Spoiler:
I'm going to have to rewatch the first 4 because I need to find out just what this real estate project has to do with the "big picture."

My first guess it had something to do with Jill's clinic, but I dont think there would have been folks inhabating it without someone noticing.

And its easy to see that Hoffman's "game" has begun with the death and/or disappearance of Jigsaw. We dont know whats in the box, but Jigsaw explained that its only important if he were to ever disappear. The only clue about the box's content we get in V is the note Hoffman gets reading something along the lines of "I know who you really are."

Hoffman helps with getting the tubby guy into the the "1st trap", so its a safe bet that he was also the "2nd" person assisting Amanda with the officer's acid trap.

Now here is where I have a couple of problems with the logic in V; (1) Erickson was at the scene when Schrom was taken away via ambulance, he would have seen that his cell phone was put into evidence and not available for him to be making calls from, and (2) we see that Hoffman's fingerprints are on the bullet in the first "trap" in II, why werent they discovered when those bodies were found.

There are ways to explain and/or suspend disbelief with the phone thing, but the fingerprint screams for some attention. Heck the camera was zoomed in on his ungloved hand handling the bullet. The only explanation I can come up with is that the dozen bodies including two (2) copies found at the scene included the participants of II and nothing had been done in reference to investigating the scenes.

Just some thoughts I had on the movie. And I would like to say that I felt terrible for Benz, she is stunning, but the wig they had on her was just WRONG!
Old 10-31-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by retihsuhnt
Okay I finally got a chance to see the movie last night and really liked it compared to a couple of the sequels.

A friend I saw it with was disappointed with the lack of gore, but I enjoyed the developing story line.

I better "spoiler" the rest because I've got a couple of questions and they probably have to do more with VI and/or VII than the previous movies:

Spoiler:
I'm going to have to rewatch the first 4 because I need to find out just what this real estate project has to do with the "big picture."

My first guess it had something to do with Jill's clinic, but I dont think there would have been folks inhabating it without someone noticing.

And its easy to see that Hoffman's "game" has begun with the death and/or disappearance of Jigsaw. We dont know whats in the box, but Jigsaw explained that its only important if he were to ever disappear. The only clue about the box's content we get in V is the note Hoffman gets reading something along the lines of "I know who you really are."

Hoffman helps with getting the tubby guy into the the "1st trap", so its a safe bet that he was also the "2nd" person assisting Amanda with the officer's acid trap.

Now here is where I have a couple of problems with the logic in V; (1) Erickson was at the scene when Schrom was taken away via ambulance, he would have seen that his cell phone was put into evidence and not available for him to be making calls from, and (2) we see that Hoffman's fingerprints are on the bullet in the first "trap" in II, why werent they discovered when those bodies were found.

There are ways to explain and/or suspend disbelief with the phone thing, but the fingerprint screams for some attention. Heck the camera was zoomed in on his ungloved hand handling the bullet. The only explanation I can come up with is that the dozen bodies including two (2) copies found at the scene included the participants of II and nothing had been done in reference to investigating the scenes.

Just some thoughts I had on the movie. And I would like to say that I felt terrible for Benz, she is stunning, but the wig they had on her was just WRONG!
Spoiler:
For the first one, I don't remember seeing Erickson until he showed up at the hospital. Maybe I'm blind but I saw the movie twice and didn't notice that. And either way, Hoffman took it out of evidence, there's not much more or less reason for Erickson to believe Strahm didn't do the exact same thing. The second one is easy: if Hoffman is in charge of the investigation, the fingerprint check would conveniently not happen/lead nowhere, etc.
Old 01-29-09, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Saw V

I finally got around to watching this on Blu-ray after missing it in theaters. I've been a big fan of the Saw series and had been disappointed that i didn't get a chance to see this earlier, so despite a lot of negative reviews I was still excited to see this. I don't think I was disappointed as a lot of you were, although maybe that's because I watched it when I wasn't surrounded by the "you won't believe how it ends!" commercials.

Overall, I agree with a lot of complaints. The traps were pretty boring, and there was far less gore (although I didn't mind that part). It also had a mediocre ending compared to the other 4. Still, I enjoyed it. Like the rest of the sequels, I thought it did a great job tying together the previous movies. That's my favorite aspect of the movies, and I'm continuously impressed that 5 movies in and they managed to hold together a cohesive storyline. They did a solid job explaining Hoffman's attachment to Jigsaw, and for the first time since part two (with Matthews) there was an interesting character to follow with Strahm. While I certainly wish it took an extra 15 minutes to flesh out things with Jill and actually explain why the folks in the trap were there, it accomplishes what it meant to... make you wait for Saw 6. Cheap tactic, but hey, I can't wait!

As far as my movie rankings go, I think I still love the first the best, and it's gone down since then. Saw had fresh traps, interesting characters and the best setting, and the first great twist. Saw 2 dumbed it down with a bunch of characters I didn't care about (except for Matthews) and made it more about the traps, but did a great job finishing it up by linking it to the first movie via the bathroom. Saw III disappointed me because I didn't give two shits about Jeff and his wife. I loved the revelation that 4 was happening along with 3, and actually enjoyed Rigg, but the reveal of Hoffman was just confusing. 5 is more like Saw 3.7 like someone else said, and seemed more like it could have been mixed together with Saw 4 for a more cohesive story.
Old 01-29-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

On DVD it's better. The theatrical cut had various re-edits beyond gore from the "Unrated" and a lot of them were for the better. The theatrical cut, for lack of a better explanation, was a little more spelled out for the audience, in case they weren't die hard Saw nuts.
Old 01-29-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I read about the different cuts on the Wikipedia page. It didn't seem like that big of a difference, but its interesting that there were some re-edited scenes and things put in a different order.
Old 03-25-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so, do they ever explain what's in the box? You know the one John's ex-wife opened half way in the lawyer's office?
Old 03-25-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

also, why/how the five victims for Saw V were selected?
Old 03-25-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

[QUOTE=firteen88;9031350]

QUOTE]

I never make that connection...probably should have watched them closer together.
Old 03-25-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ocelot
so, do they ever explain what's in the box? You know the one John's ex-wife opened half way in the lawyer's office?
Nope.

Originally Posted by Ocelot
also, why/how the five victims for Saw V were selected?
They all played a role in the burning down of a building or something that had people still living inside. I don't recall if they were linked at all to the main story or characters though.