Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Total nerdgasm. That was fucking awesome.

Disney. Please don't have Linkin Park remake Only Solutions for the soundtrack.

End of line.
Old 07-26-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
And I'll bet no one could be more thrilled about a sequel than this guy:

Actually this guy is a tad more thrilled about it.

Old 07-26-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quality isn't great but this gives you an idea about the trailer. Bootleg from Comic Con.

Old 07-26-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Another bootleg video of the trailer, in case the youtube one goes down.

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archive...er_online.html

Gave me chills! Jeff Bridges: "It's just a game!"

Other guy: "Not any more!"

Same here. I got goosebumps. Badass clip! Freaking awesome for Disney to do a sequel since the original didn't make that much money.

calhoun, Ricky Gervais and Sean Connery are gonna be in this? Where did you read that?
Old 07-26-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here. I got goosebumps. Badass clip! Freaking awesome for Disney to do a sequel since the original didn't make that much money.

calhoun, Ricky Gervais and Sean Connery are gonna be in this? Where did you read that?
I saw that on what appeared to be a fake trailer. Not sure if it is legit, I doubt it. It also listed Jada Pinkett Smith in it as well. If all of it were true, it'd be a fantastic cast.
Old 07-27-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about having so many celebrities in it. Big budget would be nice but I'd like the movie to concentrate on the characters and story as much as the original did.
Old 07-30-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...this flew under the radar...

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/1...or-for-tron-2/
Old 07-31-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I was soooooo impressed with this trailer/clip. Jeff Bridges looked awesome as did the bikes and the whole chase sequence. I have read over a number of years that they were mulling over this, but to see something like this come out of the blue is amazing. It sounds like it was footage done in order to get funding for a full movie, and if so i would say that this footage must have sold Disney on its potential.

I can't wait to see this movie when it eventually comes out. I saw the original in the cinema when i was a kid and have always loved the Tron universe.
Old 07-31-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has the SDCC footage been released legitimately yet?
Old 07-31-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Has the SDCC footage been released legitimately yet?
I don't expect it anytime soon tho who knows, maybe before Race to Witch Mountain which opens March 13, 2009. When the clip was intro'd, he did say he didn't know why they were showing this as he didn't expect a film for another 1.5 years.
Old 07-31-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some more info on the state of the project: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...-director.aspx

It's been a week now since that "TR2N" teaser trailer ran at Comic-Con. And Disneyana & sci-fi fans are desperate for additional information about this Summer 2010 release.

Well, let me share some info that I'm sure will send all of you "TRON" fanboys out there straight off the Game Grid. Guess who's the real power-behind-the-throne (The Master Control Program, if you will) on this particular Walt Disney Pictures production? Would you believe John Lasseter?

Yep, the Chief Creative Officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios has quite the soft spot when it comes to the original "TRON." Lasseter still remembers when he first saw this Steve Lisberger film. Which was back in 1981 when John was just a lowly animator toiling away on "Mickey's Christmas Carol."

One lunch hour while wandering around the Disney lot, Lasseter came upon the trailers where all of the 16 X 20 Kodalith cels that were used in this 1982 production were stored. And it was here that John first saw "TRON" 's lightcycle sequence. And as Lasseter looked at this CG sequence ...

"It absolutely blew me away! A little door in my mind opened up. I looked at it and said, `This is it! This is the future!'"

Mind you, John was quite taken with the look of "TRON" (as well as -- of course -- that film's use of computer animation). But as for that movie's storyline ... Lasseter wasn't really a fan. He felt that Lisberger had missed some obvious opportunities to create a truly compelling piece of entertainment. Something that would have touched an audience's emotions as it dazzled their eyes.

Which is why -- even though Steve (i.e. "TRON" 's original director & co-writer) has spent the past five years developing a script for a sequel -- none of that material will now be used in the production of "TR2N."

Don't get me wrong, folks. Lasseter is still extremely respectful of all the groundbreaking work that Lisberger & his production team did on the first "TRON." Which is why Steve will receive a co-producer credit on this 2010 Walt Disney Pictures release. But as for Lisberger having any real creative input on the sequel ... "GAME OVER !," man.

"So -- if Steve isn't working on the 'TR2N' screenplay anymore -- who is then?," you ask. Well ... Allegedly at John's insistence, Disney hired Eddie Kitsis & Adam Horowitz to create a script for this sequel. Given their long association with "Lost," Kitsis & Horowitz have lots of experience when it comes to guiding colorful characters through surreal settings. Which made Eddie & Adam an obvious choice for the "TR2N" assignment.

And if Lisberger's no longer slated to helm the "TRON" sequel, who's Disney now going to get to direct this movie? Joseph Kosinski. Who has yet to actually direct a full-length feature film but has created some award-winning commercials for Saab, Nike and X-Box.

In fact, if you want to get some sense of the visual look that Joseph wants to bring to "TR2N," click on the above links. Or -- better yet -- check out Kosinski's animated architectural renderings. These will give you a better sense of Joseph's eye. The way this guy moves a camera. Which offers a hint of how truly dazzling a Kosinski-directed version of "TRON" could be.

Speaking of which ... To convince Disney executives that his vision for "TR2N" was commercially viable, Joseph spent six months working in secret with the folks at Digital Domain. Laboring to create a vivid, updated version of "TRON" 's famous lightcycles. With the hope that this three-minute-long sequence would then prove to the suits that a sequel to this 26-year-old film would actually appeal to today's gamers.

Which brings us to Disney Interactive Studios' involvement in the "TR2N" project ... To help prime the pump for this potentially-hugely-profitable profect, Disney's gaming division actually released an Xbox 360 version of those classic arcade games, "TRON" and "Discs of TRON," last summer. Given the huge number of units that were then sold to video game players as well as "TRON" fans ... It was clear that there are a lot of people out there who -- just like John Lasseter -- have a very soft spot in their hearts when it comes to this particular Walt Disney Productions release.

But that said ... There are still those at the Studio who are saying that it may be a mistake to release a "TRON" sequel 28 years after the fact.
Old 07-31-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sucks that Liseberg has poured his heart and soul into this project for the past 5 years only to be cast aside. But at least its in capable hands.
Old 08-01-08, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
That article was written in Sept of '07.
Old 08-01-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That article was written in Sept of '07.

That's his point.
Old 08-01-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I've been hoping for a Tron 2 for years.

But it's got to have both Bridges AND Boxleitner. Even if Boxleitner's role has only 15 or 20 minutes of screen time, he's got to be in it. He IS Tron for cryin out loud! Having him in there as the antiquated program among the young studs (so to speak), but holding his own would be cool!
Old 08-01-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boxleitner did voice Tron in the recent Kingdom Hearts II video game.
Old 08-02-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I've been hoping for a Tron 2 for years.

But it's got to have both Bridges AND Boxleitner. Even if Boxleitner's role has only 15 or 20 minutes of screen time, he's got to be in it. He IS Tron for cryin out loud! Having him in there as the antiquated program among the young studs (so to speak), but holding his own would be cool!
I agree. Though he doesn't have the star power as Bridges so Disney may feel they don't need or want him.
Old 08-02-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They can keep Boxleitner, but they have to bring back this guy:

Old 12-16-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

bump.

from The Hollywood Reporter:

Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett are the first to sign on for "Tron 2" the sequel to the 1982 Disney cult classic being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Sean Bailey is producing along with Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film, and Jeff Silver.

The original, about a programmer thrust into a computer and forced to fight in games he helped create, is remembered for its sci-fi gladiator-style battles and groundbreaking special effects.

The new movie is acting as a "next chapter." Plot details are being guarded closely, but Wilde will play a worker in the virtual world who tries to help fight Master Control Program, the villainous intelligence protocol that was the nemesis in the original film.

Garrett will play a siren in the virtual world.

The male lead has not been cast, but the studio and filmmakers are screen-testing actors as it brings on other leads and supporting players.

"Tron 2" is eyeing a spring shoot and is shaping up as one of the studio's most anticipated projects in years. Kosinski shot reels to test technology and showcase his vision for the film; the footage screened at Comic-Con in July and was one of the most buzzed-about films coming out of the geekfest.

Brigham Taylor is overseeing for Disney.

Wilde, repped by Endeavor and Kass & Stokes Management, can be seen on the Fox series "House." She next appears in "The Year One" with Jack Black and Michael Cera. Garrett, repped by ICM and 1 Management, appeared in "Made of Honor" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer." The two appeared together in "Turistas."
Beau Garrett was hawt in FF:ROTSS.
Old 03-04-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

from pitchforkmedia:

Daft Punk to Score Tron 2.0?

Daft Punk might be writing the original score for Tron 2.0, Disney's sequel to the so-obsolete-it's-incredible 1982 evil computer movie, according to Upcoming Film Scores. This is such a perfect pairing, we hope against hope it's true. (Representatives for the band have yet to respond to requests for confirmation.)

The only way Tron 2.0 could suck is if it takes itself too seriously (always a concern for camp-cult remakes and sequels). It's directed by Joseph Kosinski (who's done lots of eye-melting CGI commercials like this one for Nike), written by "Lost" screenwriters Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, and stars "House"/"O.C." star Olivia Wilde and some dude named Garrett Hedlund, says The Hollywood Reporter. Jeff Bridges will also reprise his original role as super genius Kevin Flynn. The movie is currently being shot in Vancouver, British Columbia for a projected 2011 release date, according to IMDb.

80s nostalgia can get a bit toxic at times, so hopefully these Tron 2.0 guys can bring Tron into the future while retaining some of the past. You know what would be a great way to do that? Hiring Daft Punk to write the music. The Oscar performance will rule.

-------------

Sweetness!
Old 03-05-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by auto
from pitchforkmedia:

Daft Punk to Score Tron 2.0?

Daft Punk might be writing the original score for Tron 2.0, Disney's sequel to the so-obsolete-it's-incredible 1982 evil computer movie, according to Upcoming Film Scores. This is such a perfect pairing, we hope against hope it's true. (Representatives for the band have yet to respond to requests for confirmation.)

The only way Tron 2.0 could suck is if it takes itself too seriously (always a concern for camp-cult remakes and sequels). It's directed by Joseph Kosinski (who's done lots of eye-melting CGI commercials like this one for Nike), written by "Lost" screenwriters Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, and stars "House"/"O.C." star Olivia Wilde and some dude named Garrett Hedlund, says The Hollywood Reporter. Jeff Bridges will also reprise his original role as super genius Kevin Flynn. The movie is currently being shot in Vancouver, British Columbia for a projected 2011 release date, according to IMDb.

80s nostalgia can get a bit toxic at times, so hopefully these Tron 2.0 guys can bring Tron into the future while retaining some of the past. You know what would be a great way to do that? Hiring Daft Punk to write the music. The Oscar performance will rule.

-------------

Sweetness!
AICN says this is confirmed by Disney. Oh man.
Old 03-05-09, 02:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ it's also been confirmed by Rolling Stone magazine.
Old 03-05-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This is some of the best news I've ever heard, great choice.
Old 03-05-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Das Punk will be perfect for this.
Can we expect a song from Steve Perry of Journey like the old movie??
Old 04-16-09, 02:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

saw over in Box Office magazine, the movie will be released in Disney Digital 3D

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.