Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Richard Roeper Leaving "Ebert + Roeper"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-20-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...072108.article

Sounds like he is starting his own show?
I guess I stopped watching the show after Roger had to leave, but its still kinda weird - Roeper was the last "link" to Ebert/Siskel on the show.
Old 07-20-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've bee reading Roeper's Sun-Times column every day for 15 years (when he's not on vacation ), and I will definitely follow him to whatever network he goes to with his review show.
Old 07-20-08, 10:00 PM
Banned

This truly sucks. This was THE film review show with constructive criticism , interesting recommendations, and great banter between hosts.
I was really hoping things would stay the same with the hosts now (Roeper and Philliips). I thought they were a good pair.
Old 07-20-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
This truly sucks. This was THE film review show with constructive criticism , interesting recommendations, and great banter between hosts.
I was really hoping things would stay the same with the hosts now (Roeper and Philliips). I thought they were a good pair.

They do make a good review team. But they will never be as good as Ebert and Siskel. So does that mean Ebert and Roeper will cease to exist?
Old 07-20-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was impressed with Roeper & Phillips. I wonder if he'll attempt to get Phillips to pair up with him in his new venture. The end of Siskel/Ebert/Roeper & guests is a shame.
Old 07-20-08, 10:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmnYCSwt2Js&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmnYCSwt2Js&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-20-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I "tolerated" Roeper because of Ebert, but the balcony truly closed when Gene died.
Old 07-20-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmnYCSwt2Js&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmnYCSwt2Js&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Hilarious
Old 07-20-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
You are correct. And then Gene Siskel died.

I never really liked Roeper, and I'm glad that deadweight is gone. Now Michael Phillips needs to find a suitable co-host...might I suggest one of the resident film critics over at The Onion AV Club? I think anyone of them would be a perfect fit, not to mention that the AV Club is stationed in Chicago...
Old 07-20-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
That's fucking great. I miss Siskel.
Old 07-20-08, 11:34 PM

Maybe we will get Zombie Siskel/Shaking Ebert!!
Old 07-20-08, 11:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
After Ebert went through a series of guest critics in the wake of Siskel's death, I was truly shocked that he chose Richard Roeper to be Siskel's replacement. The guy seemed to only appreciate movies on the most base level, and couldn't match Ebert's insights with solid counterpoints of his own. When Ebert had to leave, I saw no point in watching anymore.
Old 07-20-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I like Roeper's take on films. It's certainly not the most astute, film-school type take most of the time, but he's a straightshooter and I never get the feeling he's trying to be glib or create quote for the DVD cover like some other reviewers. Is he as good Siskel or Ebert? Definitely not. But I still enjoy his thoughts.
Old 07-21-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
So, the show is now basically dead with Roeper leaving. It's been a nice ride. I've enjoyed At the movies, Siskel & Ebert, Ebert & Movies and occasionally Ebert & Roeper. I wish Roeper good luck in his next venture.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-21-08 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My God that means the only show on'll be Lyons & Bailes reeltalktv. The only 2 national critics that gushed over Love Guru. yech.
Old 07-21-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn, I hate this. I have been Tivoing Ebert and Roeper and watching it every week for a couple years now. I hope either he gets another show or they continue with the current one under whatever name and it's shown in DC.

I always liked Roeper because he seemed more like a regular guy than a critic. I'm a regular guy so I want to hear opinions as they relate to me, not some overly critical reviewer who feels he has to justify his title as a "critic" by overanalyzing everything.

I'm not a huge fan of Michael Phillips because he seems to be a lot of what I just described. I was more a fan of some of the other guest critics but he seems to have taken over permanently.
Old 07-21-08, 03:15 AM

It's sad because pretty much we know that Roger isn't coming back to tv, and I did like Roeper even if he wasn't Siskel. I bet that Starz gives Roeper a show or Dailes, the new channel thats been showing At the Movies almost daily gives Roeper a show.

Last edited by DonTHX1378; 07-21-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...I can't believe this. I've been watching Siskel & Ebert and Ebert & Roeper forever. I do Tivo this every week, too. While it took me a little while to warm up to Roeper, I really think he is a great critic and a lot of the time knows what he is talking about.

I'll definitely follow him to whatever network he decides to go to. Hopefully he'll be able to get the thumbs back, too. This whoke see it, rent it, skip it thing not nearly as cool as the thumbs.
Old 07-21-08, 11:01 AM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Sounds like Roger Ebert is leaving the show, too. So I guess that means the show is completely done.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...URED/150028057

Statement from Roger Ebert

July 21, 2008

After 33 years on the air, 23 of them with Disney, the studio has decided to take the program named "Siskel & Ebert" and then "Ebert & Roeper" in a new direction. I will no longer be associated with it.

The show was a wonderful experience. It was a great loss to me when surgery in July 2006 made it impossible for me to appear on the air any longer. Although I remained active behind the scenes, I feel that Richard Roeper and several co-hosts, notably Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott, have excelled at carrying on the tradition Gene Siskel and I began in 1975 with "Sneak Previews" on PBS.

Gene and I felt the formula was simplicity itself: Two film critics, sitting across the aisle from each other in a movie balcony, debating the new films of the week. We developed an entirely new concept for TV. Few shows have been on the air so long and remained so popular. We made television history, and established the trademarked catch-phrase "Two thumbs up."

The trademark still belongs to me and Marlene Iglitzen, Gene's widow, and the thumbs will return. We are discussing possibilities, and plan to continue the show's tradition.

-- Roger Ebert
Old 07-21-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I'm much more familiar with Roeper; I love checking out the old reviews with Siskel & Ebert. It looks like they had a lot of fun together.

Roeper is a good critic. He's an average guy who just loves movies. His reviews are straightforward and he has a good sense of humour. He fit the At the Movies. He and Roger had good chemistry together. I'll be watching the next show that he does. I hope a website like www.atthemoviestv.com posts his show so people can watch it online.

As for At the Movies after Roeper leaves; I think Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott would work. Ebert will never be replaced (my favorite critic), but I think those two would do alright.
Old 07-21-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Trelach24
I always liked Roeper because he seemed more like a regular guy than a critic.
Because he's not a full-time critic. It's a side job that only exists as the TV show.

His main job is as a columnist for the Chicago Sun Times. It's an open format so he talks about politics, sports, city events, dating stories, pop culture (including movies, music, TV) or whatever is randomly on his mind.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/index.html

Last edited by GuessWho; 07-21-08 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reading between the lines of the Ebert statement and Roeper statment - sure sounds like Roeper will be working on Ebert's new show - back with Thumbs Up. Sounds promising.
Old 07-21-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whatever. It lost much of it's charm in my eyes once Siskel died. After Ebert was unable to appear on the show I chose to no longer watch it. I rarely care what critics have to say, but I respected Roger and his opinion and that was the only reason I would tune in each week.
Old 07-21-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I respected Roger and his opinion
Past tense?

I'd advise you to continue admiring him as he's still doing his newspaper reviews as well as ever.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/
Old 07-21-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yeah, it certainly sounds like Roeper and Ebert have something in the works...

My biggest concern is what happens with the great archive at www.atthemoviestv.com? I'd hate to lose that site...it's great to have access to those old Siskel & Ebert reviews.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.