Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Like many others, I found many of my thoughts mirrored Doc's, so I'm actually editing this post down to reduce repeating his well-stated ideas. There's a sense that doing a third Batman film is nothing more than an obligation to fanboys and greedy studio exec's, and that's absolute rubbish. This is a property that has presented literally thousands of issues of comic books over nearly 70 years, hundreds of episodes of live-action and animated television series, two serials and now seven live-action films. Have some of these stories been produced just to "cash in" and feed fans? Absolutely, but there are plenty of great stories that have been told with this mythology, and there is no evidence to suggest that a third Batman film from Nolan & Co. would be about the merchandising licenses and not about telling a compelling story with the same artistic and production values thus far demonstrated.

I also say, bring on King Tut! (You're welcome for the laugh. Moving on...)

Last edited by Travis McClain; 07-24-08 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Uncanny CONDIMENT KING
Old 07-24-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh

The Uncanny CONDIMENT KING
After all the terror througout The Dark Knight , you think audiences will want any part of that guy? You can't follow dark with darker!
Old 07-24-08, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
You're welcome for the laugh.
Which one?
Old 07-24-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like many others, I found many of my thoughts mirrored Doc's, so I'm actually editing this post down to reduce repeating his well-stated ideas. There's a sense that doing a third Batman film is nothing more than an obligation to fanboys and greedy studio exec's, and that's absolute rubbish. This is a property that has presented literally thousands of issues of comic books over nearly 70 years, hundreds of episodes of live-action and animated television series, two serials and now seven live-action films. Have some of these stories been produced just to "cash in" and feed fans? Absolutely, but there are plenty of great stories that have been told with this mythology, and there is no evidence to suggest that a third Batman film from Nolan & Co. would be about the merchandising licenses and not about telling a compelling story with the same artistic and production values thus far demonstrated.

-Doc
Old 07-24-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After all the terror througout The Dark Knight , you think audiences will want any part of that guy? You can't follow dark with darker!
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain people will believe this villain, seeing as he is the single most realistic portrayal of evil I believe has ever been depicted.

Pickle helmet: Check
Ketchup/Mustard packets on the sleeves: Check
Lightning bolt: Check
An actual pair of underwear: Check

Hell, at this rate, you may as well toss in Gorilla Boss...
Old 07-24-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain people will believe this villain, seeing as he is the single most realistic portrayal of evil I believe has ever been depicted.

Pickle helmet: Check
Ketchup/Mustard packets on the sleeves: Check
Lightning bolt: Check
An actual pair of underwear: Check

Hell, at this rate, you may as well toss in Gorilla Boss...

How could they possibly get this movie made with anything less than an NC-17 rating, much less R?

-Doc
Old 07-24-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
X-Men = 104 minutes. {great}
X-Men 2 = 132 minutes. {near perfect}
X-Men 3 = 104 minutes. {complete garbage}

I don't see your point....

K
X-Men 3 felt alot shorter coming off of the epic part 2 and seemed to cram in way too much in too little time.
Old 07-24-08, 02:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
X-Men 3 felt alot shorter coming off of the epic part 2 and seemed to cram in way too much in too little time.
A lot of us felt that X-Men 3 was just a completely horrible film for many more reasons than that.

But back on topic, I'm guessing that Nolan and Bale are done. WB will move on with others of course.
Old 07-24-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X-Men 3 felt like a made-for-TV movie on Lifetime with mutants sprinkled in in place of washed-up ex-sitcom stars.

It was quite an embarrasment.

K
Old 07-24-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
But back on topic, I'm guessing that Nolan and Bale are done. WB will move on with others of course.
Why do you think they're done? I thought Nolan was interested in making at least 3 movies. It would seem the structure of the two already made would definitely suggest this. It's the Star Wars of comic book superhero movies, with a darker middle part. I hope they don't leave it at that.

K
Old 07-24-08, 03:14 PM

I always thought a great way to open a Batman film would be a 10 minute scene showing Bats fighting/chasing and finally subduing Solomon Grundy in the sewers of Gotham.

It would be a great "WTF" scene for the casual moviegoer and a cool nod to the geeks.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 07-24-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 03:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Why do you think they're done? I thought Nolan was interested in making at least 3 movies. It would seem the structure of the two already made would definitely suggest this. It's the Star Wars of comic book superhero movies, with a darker middle part. I hope they don't leave it at that.

K
No real evidence, and I hope I'm wrong.

But it just seems like a good place to end things, quality wise (TDK will be hard to top) and storyline wise. Also, my gut tells me that creative differences (or $) will likely spring up.

And third movies almost always suck.
Old 07-24-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
No real evidence, and I hope I'm wrong.

But it just seems like a good place to end things, quality wise (TDK will be hard to top) and storyline wise. Also, my gut tells me that creative differences (or $) will likely spring up.

And third movies almost always suck.
Something tells me $ will not be an issue if this thing makes more than $500m as its projecting to do right now (we'll have to see after this weekend). WB will do everything to get Nolan and company to come back and do one more.

And Nolan will want to do it to finish his trilogy. I think I've discussed this already but with so many TDK threads I don't know if it was at this forum or another. Anyway, someone posted a link to an interview with Bale and Nolan stating they'd be up for a third one.
Old 07-24-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Something tells me $ will not be an issue if this thing makes more than $500m as its projecting to do right now (we'll have to see after this weekend). WB will do everything to get Nolan and company to come back and do one more.
hopefully that includes allowing Nolan to shoot the whole thing with IMAX cameras (assuming he wants to take on the technical challenges that creates).
Old 07-24-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
hopefully that includes allowing Nolan to shoot the whole thing with IMAX cameras (assuming he wants to take on the technical challenges that creates).

That's going to be a HUGE pain in the ass when it comes to the eventual DVD release....

-Doc
Old 07-25-08, 02:12 PM

Yeah, but it'll look badass on my home IMAX setup on Blu-Ray IMAX Disc!
Old 07-25-08, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didn't read all 13 pages... but i would like to add a weird possible clue within a scene in Dark Knight:

Spoiler:
when Lucious Fox re-designs the Batman suit, Bruce Wayne asks "will this protect me against dogs?"... Lucious replies "rottweilers and chihuahuas? (or something).. it should protect you against cats"

maybe catwoman. maybe i'm digging too deep.
Old 07-25-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by TheySentYou
i didn't read all 13 pages... but i would like to add a weird possible clue within a scene in Dark Knight:

Spoiler:
when Lucious Fox re-designs the Batman suit, Bruce Wayne asks "will this protect me against dogs?"... Lucious replies "rottweilers and chihuahuas? (or something).. it should protect you against cats"

You know, that was an odd comment, but I can't remember if that was just a joke made by Lucius.
Old 07-25-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheySentYou

Spoiler:

You aren't digging too deep, Catwoman has been confirmed by every fanboy on the net because of that scene.
Old 07-25-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No way I can read through thirteen pages to see what everyone has said in this thread.

I would like to see Nolan's take on The Riddler, but I think it would be a poor decision to have him be the villain following The Joker.

I would have loved to have seen Harley Quinn in the Nolan series, I think she is one of the most interesting characters in the Batman franchise, but that's mostly due to her relationship with The Joker. Not sure if she could be used without The Joker, and since I have no desire to see anyone else portray The Joker after Heath Ledger, I would still like to see her introduced in some capacity.

If I were a betting man, I would say Catwoman is going to be the villain in the third film, mostly because of the bit of foreshadowing courtesy Lucius Fox. If she is indeed the villain in the third movie, I suspect there will be another villain as well...Catwoman will probably get more of a backstory than just a straight up introduction as a villain.

And I am convinced that Harvey Dent/Two-Face isn't dead, but instead is locked up in Arkham. Perhaps we will see his return yet...I for one thought he was pretty bad-ass in the film.

And I'm all for Clayface appearing in the film as well. Same goes for Bane. Although I think perhaps it would be better to have them later on in this franchise.
Old 07-26-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first two movies have put Batman's physical strength, and technology, to the test. As others have stated, I think The Riddler (despite not really liking him) could work as a good villian. With Bats on the run, and the criminal world in disarray, a wimpy, yet genius, villian could take over Gotham. It could be a game of cat and mouse with Riddler trying to unveil Bats, and Bats trying desperately to stop him, espescially in his new precarious position with the law. Catwoman could easily be included if they decided, either just as a new love interest (using just Selena Kyle for now) or as a villian and eventual ally.

I liked the suggestion of someone such as Michael Emerson playing Riddler. It's not about physical strength, it's not about psychoticness, it's about one brain against another. If done right, this could be end up as a very solid match up.
Old 07-26-08, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You aren't digging too deep, Catwoman has been confirmed by every fanboy on the net because of that scene.

No shit. If anything, it's a "wink wink" at Batman being clawed in the side by Catwoman after she finds a weak spot in his costume in "Batman Returns". After all, the discussion with Fox at the time was about the very topic of weak spots in his new costume.

But even that may be a bit of a stretch. Who knows....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-26-08 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-27-08, 01:10 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Zephyr2006[Mister Reese = Mr. Reese = Mysteries = Riddler... [/QUOTE]

Give me a fucking break.
Old 07-27-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
My choices for the The Riddler:
Hugo Weaving
Michael Rosenbaum
Crispin Glover
Jake Gyllenhaal
Michael C. Hall
or Jim Carrey

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.