DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Batman Begins 3 - Villain? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/535880-batman-begins-3-villain.html)

B5Erik 07-19-08 09:45 AM

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Assuming there is a Batman Begins 3 (the third in the series), what character would you like to see as the villain?

Personally, I'd like to see them use The Riddler, only this time do him the way Frank Gorshin did the character - a demented gangster.

A lot of people don't pick up on Gorshin's gangsterisms in his perormances as The Riddler (a lot of others do), but Gorshin was an accomplished impressionist who did a mean James Cagney, and he brought some of that to the character.

If Nolan writes the character that way - a very dangerous gangster with a mean streak, but also with a goofy sense of humor - then the next Batman movie will be on solid ground.

On the other hand, if he makes the character too serious then I'd be disappointed. The Riddler's GOT to have a goofy sense of humor, but not like the Jim Carrey over the top version (a version who lost all gangster references, and who was a total wimp).

We'll see what happens, but that's what I'd like to see.

fumanstan 07-19-08 09:48 AM

I'd love to see Bane.

stingermck 07-19-08 10:04 AM

Hush & Riddler, or Bane. With Batman on the run, the villians that have pushed him to the brink would be nice to see. Also would like to see Nolans take on Catwoman and use her also as the female lead.

chris_sc77 07-19-08 10:35 AM

Riddler is an obvious choice. Dont know it it'll work but I I suppose it could. Same thing with Catwoman.
Or Talia (Ra's au Ghul's daughter) and Scarecrow could make appearances.

Doughboy 07-19-08 10:56 AM

Riddler, Catwoman, and Bane would be the best remaining "realistic" choices.

Penguin is also a possibility, but we've already had Falcone and Maroni in the first two movies, so the mob is kinda played out.

jeffkjoe 07-19-08 11:16 AM

How about Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy?

Deftones 07-19-08 11:19 AM

How about anyone that hasn't been in a Batman movie before.

fumanstan 07-19-08 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
How about anyone that hasn't been in a Batman movie before.

So many of the good ones have been in the movies though, and I think we'd all love to see them done "right" in Nolan's universe.

Anubis2005X 07-19-08 11:22 AM

Would love it if Nolan did a more serious take on Mr. Freeze with Patrick Stewart starring...

The Infidel 07-19-08 11:26 AM

They could always make someone up like they did in the Superman series. Some demented megalomaniac who slips Batman a weird man-made rock that ends up messing with his head, forcing him to do battle with his evil side in a junkyard.

Or something like that.

Or not.

chris_sc77 07-19-08 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Would love it if Nolan did a more serious take on Mr. Freeze with Patrick Stewart starring...

Or Vin Diesel -wink-

taffer 07-19-08 11:30 AM

Crazy Quilt

Deftones 07-19-08 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So many of the good ones have been in the movies though, and I think we'd all love to see them done "right" in Nolan's universe.

Yeah, that's the point. While I like seeing the main villains, I like seeing the secondary, lesser known ones more. Probably will never happen since the big villains draw big actors to play them, thus making them more money.

cupcake jesus 07-19-08 11:46 AM

The Phantasm.

fumanstan 07-19-08 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, that's the point. While I like seeing the main villains, I like seeing the secondary, lesser known ones more. Probably will never happen since the big villains draw big actors to play them, thus making them more money.

I can't really think of any of the other villains that haven't shown up that I would want to see. I think only Clayface.

mdc3000 07-19-08 11:49 AM

after the Halle Berry disaster, I'd be shocked as hell if they went with Catwoman... it will take a lot of work to make that go over well...but if anyone can do it, it's Nolan.

TheMovieman 07-19-08 11:51 AM

Well, with Batman on the run, the city could be up for grabs. Presents the perfect opportunity for Bane to come in and take over the city, which will bring Batman out from hiding. Also add in The Riddler (I think Kevin Bacon could play him just right as a smarmy a-hole who thinks he is the smartest person in the room no matter where he goes) and Selina Kyle as the female lead.

stingermck 07-19-08 11:59 AM

Using Catwoman has one good thing going for her, was that Berry's character was not Selena Kyle. If movie goers can remember Selena from Batman Returns, then that helps.

I could see Nolan really playing up her comics character against Wayne/Batman. Socialite by day, thief by night.

PopcornTreeCt 07-19-08 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
after the Halle Berry disaster, I'd be shocked as hell if they went with Catwoman... it will take a lot of work to make that go over well...but if anyone can do it, it's Nolan.

But really does anyone remember that movie? When I think of Catwoman I think of Michelle Pfieffer.

I think Catwoman could work now that Rachel is gone, someone who leads a double life is something that Bruce could relate to. It's not terribly interesting compared to the storylines in TDK but I'm sure the Nolans could make it work.

mrhan 07-19-08 12:35 PM

Hugo Strange. The Englehart/Rogers version that was done in the 70's.

redrum 07-19-08 12:35 PM

Deacon Blackfire played by Daniel Day Lewis but that won't happen.

Artman 07-19-08 12:38 PM

Well, prior to TDK I had assumed it would be Two-Face.... I still hope they use him somehow as it'd be a shame for his only screen time to be the last 3rd of a movie.

Other than that, they should go for villains that haven't been done yet. Black Mask, Talia etc.

stingermck 07-19-08 01:01 PM

Ooo Black Mask would be awesome. And im talking Crazy/sarcastic Black Mask from War Games & Under the Red Hood. Give the man a screw driver!

GLENDALEFALCON 07-19-08 01:17 PM

I think the "Clock King" would be a good fit for the world of Gotham City they've created in this series. He's a loner, sick of people walking over him, not respecting him, low level lawyer or bureaucrat in a corrupting environment. He feels more moral, ethical, and intelligent than the vast majority of Gotham City. In addition, Mr. Nolan has shown a great deal of interest in messing with time (i.e. Memento and even The Prestige). Johnny Depp would be perfect. As for the Joker, I'd take Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as a good replacement for Ledger. Oh, Ben Foster as the Riddler in a future
film.

PopcornTreeCt 07-19-08 01:21 PM

Replacement Joker! Such blasphemies will not be tolerated!