Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that pretty much everyone likes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that pretty much everyone likes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Amelie is the best movie in the world, but a lot of people don't like it.

I don't like The Princess Bride at all.
Old 07-12-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by abe55
Scrappy? That's being harsh.
I meant scrappy in its non-perjorative sense... in that TERMINATOR was made with a no-name director (at the time), a tiny budget, a non-bankable star (at the time), a storyline somewhat derivative of a few OUTER LIMITS episodes, and yet the entire hard-working underdog crew defied the odds and turned out one of the best and well-crafted scifi B movies ever (and a bonafide classic).

If that's not the definition of scrappy, I don't know what is. Poop and groin!
Old 07-12-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Someone mentioned E.T. earlier and there hasn't been any 'loud' opposition - who's gonna step up and say they don't like E.T.?

Old 07-12-08, 12:41 PM

I've heard a lot of people say they don't like E.T. I'm one of them.

I watched Ferris Bueller's Day off for the first time last night (srsly) and The Breakfast Club for the first time tonight (srsly).

Ferris Bueller was awesome, the gags were fresh and the Woody Allen-esque style was slick.
The Breakfast Club was poorly written garbage.
Old 07-12-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
The Princess Bride is a sucky film, along with Stardust. The Princess Bride lovers are in the same catergory as Monty Python film lovers. It's a love/hate category.

How can anyone not like Chaplin's THE KID, MODERN TIMES, or CITY LIGHTS?
I'm ambivalent Modern Times. The industrial scenes are some of the funniest things ever filmed. But when the Tramp lives as man and wife with a 12 year old girl, the creepiness of it knocks me right out of the movie.
Old 07-12-08, 12:51 PM

Salo?
Old 07-12-08, 01:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jiffy97
Salo?
You're a couple pages late w/ that.
Old 07-12-08, 01:17 PM
Suspended

so i think the only films nobody here has hated so far would be

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
and
The Sound Of Music

god, people who hate E.T. and The Breakfast Club?

i've lost approximately 23% of my faith in humanity just be reading this thread
Old 07-12-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since its impossible to get a unanimous decision, I approached this post with my nominations of goonies and ferris bueller, that if I had a large group of people say a family movie night where extended family from grandma all the way down to grandson were to get together anyone from age 7-77 years old got together what movie could satisfy most people. Anyone younger than 7 isnt going to sit through the majority of movies anyways and are pretty limited to G rated to capture their attention. Anyone over 77 isnt going to stay awake or alive long enough to see the movie in its entirety
Old 07-12-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like E.T., Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's, and The Sound of Music...

Has anyone met someone that didn't grow up in the 80s that liked those 80s comedies? I don't know any old person that likes Ferris Bueller's or Breakfast Club or Pretty in Pink.
Old 07-12-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Amelie was bullshit.
Old 07-12-08, 05:57 PM

We can all concur on Aliens and Fight Club. Kids will like anything that adults seem to like and don't want them to watch.
Old 07-12-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Apone
We can all concur on Aliens and Fight Club. Kids will like anything that adults seem to like and don't want them to watch.
I've voiced my negative opinion on Fight Club in just about every thread mentioning the movie on this forum. Aliens is good but it's no Alien.
Old 07-12-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fight Club is the greatest movie ever made. But lots of people dislike or outright hate it. The only Alien movie I ever saw (if you don't count the two AVP movies) was Alien Resurrection, so I can't say either way on that one.

K
Old 07-12-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
ok, so hands up... who likes/doesn't hate The Breakfast Club
The movie about how nerds should have to do the work for the cool people and then be ostracized for it, and how even the most screwed up girl can bone the jock (which is what all girls aspire to) if she just combs her hair and puts on makeup?

Yo. It's a load of cryptofascist BS.
Old 07-12-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
so i think the only films nobody here has hated so far would be

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
and
The Sound Of Music
Lots of people hate The Sound of Music -- in fact, the more people enjoy musicals, the more likely they are to hate it (the same applies to The Magnificent Seven and Western fans).

[/quote]god, people who hate E.T. and The Breakfast Club?

i've lost approximately 23% of my faith in humanity just be reading this thread[/QUOTE]

Why, because people don't like Spielberg's manipulative cinematic style that tells you exactly how you're supposed to feel in each scene? Most "beloved" movies of the '80s are like the Beatles -- only people of the generation when they became popular, or children of that generation who've been brainwashed, actually like them. People who are able to evaluate them on their merits don't share that rose-colored view.
Old 07-12-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Why, because people don't like Spielberg's manipulative cinematic style that tells you exactly how you're supposed to feel in each scene? Most "beloved" movies of the '80s are like the Beatles -- only people of the generation when they became popular, or children of that generation who've been brainwashed, actually like them. People who are able to evaluate them on their merits don't share that rose-colored view.
Thank you.
Old 07-12-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree with everything in this statement other than your inexplicable swipe at the Beatles.
Old 07-12-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about Tom Hanks' BIG? Ever met a person that did not like that film?

I don't think too many people have seen this film, but how could anyone not like this film:

Old 07-12-08, 10:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I wouldn't consider it manipulative, but rather evoking emotion. Isn't that what movies are supposed to do anyway?
Old 07-13-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
I wouldn't consider it manipulative, but rather evoking emotion. Isn't that what movies are supposed to do anyway?
The Searchers doesn't do it. 12 Monkeys doesn't do it. Ford and Gilliam trust the audience to decide how they feel about what's going on instead of bludgeoning them over the head with dying geraniums, weepy kids, and heavy handed John Williams scores.
Old 07-13-08, 10:44 AM
Suspended

The Searchers doesn't do it. 12 Monkeys doesn't do it. Ford and Gilliam trust the audience to decide how they feel about what's going on instead of bludgeoning them over the head with dying geraniums, weepy kids, and heavy handed John Williams scores.
you're mistaking your own opinion for fact

i was just making a general comment about how i felt that people don't like those movies

you are making declarative statements about who exactly does or does not like certain films

big difference

The Searchers sucks btw

so does your taste in films... in my humble opinion

lighten up, francis
Old 07-13-08, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
Amélie.

Sure it's initially perceived as a "chick flick" by many and most mainstream audiences aren't exactly keen on foreign films with subtitles. But, when given a chance, it would honestly take one cold-hearted, emotionless drone from hell to not come out feeling like a million bucks by the end credits.
Really? I walked out of that shit 45 minutes in. Would have stayed if I was assured that by the end credits I'd see Amelie razored to death by a Parisian homeless man who then violates her corpse.
Old 07-13-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
How about Tom Hanks' BIG? Ever met a person that did not like that film?
I, for one, hate it. So there
Old 07-13-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I would agree with everything in this statement other than your inexplicable swipe at the Beatles.
Yeah, really. My appreciation and admiration of the Beatles comes from the music I heard, not anyone telling me what to like. But I guess one doesn't know when one's been brainwashed.

But I like most of Spielberg's movies, so I guess that's another indication.

K

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.