DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies that pretty much everyone likes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/535344-movies-pretty-much-everyone-likes.html)

abe55 07-10-08 11:10 PM

Movies that pretty much everyone likes

What are some movies that you think damn nearly everyone likes or enjoys?

My Picks

- Back To The Future
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark
- Psycho
- Die Hard

Anyone agree or disagree with these choices?

Numanoid 07-10-08 11:30 PM

By "everyone", I guess you mean males.

Wolf359 07-10-08 11:59 PM

I'd guess Star Wars, Toy Story, and Wizard of Oz.

Raiders and Back to the Future are pretty good bets, the other two I'm not sure about.

abe55 07-11-08 12:04 AM

Oz I could agree with, as well as Toy Story. Star Wars I think is a love or hate type of movie.

hardercore 07-11-08 12:30 AM

Raiders wasn't all that shit hot.

Schindler's List would fit the bill. Only because you're a Nazi if you don't like it. Pulp Fiction, maybe? Shawshank?

The Dark Knight?

cranberries fan 07-11-08 12:43 AM

The Princess Bride

I mean come on it's a perfect flim!

FinkPish 07-11-08 12:44 AM

There's gonna be people who hate "universally loved" movies for any number of reasons. I bet if you go to Rottentomatoes and list the highest rated movies, there would be plenty of people who didn't like even the most popular movies just out of spite.

Mr.Scary 07-11-08 12:53 AM

Back to the Future. Meh.

Wolf359 07-11-08 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Raiders wasn't all that shit hot.

Schindler's List would fit the bill. Only because you're a Nazi if you don't like it. Pulp Fiction, maybe? Shawshank?

The Dark Knight?

Are you kidding with Schlindler's List? Its an excellent movie, and I own it, but its one I don't like to watch. Same for Saving Private Ryan.

Solid Snake 07-11-08 01:30 AM

Pulp Fiction easily fits the bill in my general consensus of friends. I think a lot of the Pixar films for the most part are all well liked, I know Cars didn't get a lot praise from the people I know say from the little kids and their parent that they can shut their kid up with it. But for the most part Pulp Fiction is consistently mentioned to me as a universally liked film.

hardercore 07-11-08 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Are you kidding with Schlindler's List? Its an excellent movie, and I own it, but its one I don't like to watch.

Oh, yeah. That comment was made tongue firmly in cheek. Sorry if it didn't quite come across.

davidh777 07-11-08 02:24 AM

Maybe:

Monsters Inc.
Singin' in the Rain
Casablanca
Rear Window
North by Northwest
Babe
Silence of the Lambs
My Neighbor Totoro

maxfisher 07-11-08 06:25 AM

Wasn't there a similar thread a couple years ago, trying to determine if there was one movie that all DVDTalkers liked? IIRC, there wasn't.

FantasticVSDoom 07-11-08 06:46 AM

Well, universally loved doesn't necessarily mean there aren't people who don't like it, just that more often than not, most people do... For example, the LOTR movies seem to have a majority of people who enjoy it. I don't particularly, but I realize Im in the minority.

PopcornTreeCt 07-11-08 06:57 AM

Schindler's List blows.

I agree with The Shawshank Redemption. It's pretty much loved by everyone...except Arpeggi.

joeydaninja 07-11-08 07:02 AM

If there's one thing I've learned on DVDTalk after all these years is there is no such thing as a movie that pretty much everybody likes. And that's a good thing. :)

Dr Mabuse 07-11-08 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
The Princess Bride

I mean come on it's a perfect flim!

yep...

couldn't be a better example than that... i don't think i've ever heard anyone, or even seen anyone on the net who didn't like that film...

Michael Corvin 07-11-08 07:05 AM

Movies that pretty much everyone likes
There's no such thing, especially on this board. I mean, come on, there are people here that hate the Shawshank Redemption. That's crazy talk.

But to play along, out of what everyone has listed so far, I'd agree with Toy Story.

Skyclad01 07-11-08 07:10 AM

Finding Nemo

riotinmyskull 07-11-08 07:30 AM

ghostbusters

chris_sc77 07-11-08 07:34 AM

Stardust
Midnight Run (How can one not like or love this film?)

(Oh, and I'd be the one who doesn't like the Pixar films. I didn't care for Toy Story.)

RichC2 07-11-08 07:41 AM

I don't know anybody off the 'net that so much as liked Stardust.

Was never a big Star Wars fan either.

My vote goes to The Thing.

inri222 07-11-08 08:00 AM

I don't like them, but many do:

It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle On 34th Street
A Christmas Story

Hokeyboy 07-11-08 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There's no such thing, especially on this board. I mean, come on, there are people here that hate the Shawshank Redemption. That's crazy talk

I don't particularly care for Shawshank and find it hideously overrated, cloying, and emotionally shallow at best. Sorry to burst the bubble! (and for the record, I'm not trying to be some kind of iconoclast here; just an honest opinion).

Pulp Fiction isn't universally loved at all. With that amount of swearing, drugs, violence, blood, and man-on-man anal joy, try asking around the Bible Belt what a cherished classic Tarantino's film is.

I've never met anyone who didn't love THE RED BALLOON after watching it. I think whoever said Wizard of Oz is spot on.

Palaver 07-11-08 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by inri222
A Christmas Story

May be the best answer yet. I've yet to met someone to didn't like this film.