Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harris)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harris)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harr

Guilty Pleasure Film for me!

I like how the final battle between Rain and Sho Kosugi presented. An Anime action came to life
Old 11-26-09, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harr

OK...seems like we're all confused. Can we rank this movie on a scale of good and bad mindless entertainment? Like...is it better than TF2 or Crank? Or worse than that John Cena movie?
Old 11-26-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Saw this tonight and thought it was so-so.

Awesome action sequences, but I agree with an earlier comment that some of them were shot so dark that you couldn't even see what the hell was going on.

The acting was horrible, but tolerable. The funny thing is Raizo wasn't even then main focal character through alot of the film. They focused alot on Mika, her boss and Raizo's character as a youth. I'm not going to criticize Rain's acting as he is primarily known in Asian as a Korean Pop singer and he had very little dialogue to articulate. It was sort of similar to how Bruce Lee acted in Enter the Dragon.

I think the problem with this flick is rather than making a straight forward hardcore Ninja flick, the writers of this movie tried to make the movie more deeper and create some "Mythology" including lots and lots of flashbacks which I thought was so unnecessary. This isn't Lost you know. It made the plot very clunky and difficult to follow at times.

They kind of left things open for a sequel, but if they do one, they need to ditch these writers.

I would give this a C
Old 11-26-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
OK...seems like we're all confused. Can we rank this movie on a scale of good and bad mindless entertainment? Like...is it better than TF2 or Crank? Or worse than that John Cena movie?
Worlds better, those movies were not fun, this was.
Old 11-26-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NA > T2

There, I said it.

OK, I'm kidding, but I'm seeing this again, and SOON. Loved it!
Old 11-27-09, 05:18 AM

Saw it last and was totally entertained. Fight sequences were awesome. Probably one of the most, if not the most, violent films I've seen. Just go with open mind and maybe you will enjoy it. This is not a drama, so don't expect heavy or deep plot, but there's a decent plot nevertheless. Rain did a great job as a ninja. Don't really have much complaints about the movie. I didn't expect much but was surprised that I thoroughly enjoy this gory action flick.
Old 11-27-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what I was hoping for... Loads better than TF2, Wolverine, Terminator 4, GI Joe, etc. All I know is this underscores what is a travesty in movies today. There needs to be more ninjas in movies. Think how much better Twilight would be if out of no where a ninja appeared and fucked shit up
Old 11-27-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw it. And I totally loved it. +1 for all involved. I can't wait to buy it on Blu-Ray.
Old 11-27-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the heck out of it. Obviously the worst parts were whenever Mika and company were on screen, but everything else made up for it. The darkness didn't really bother me, and really the ninja fight running against traffic was pretty damn awesome to me, as well as the final, albeit cliched fight in a burning building. Rain was ripped and bad ass.

I'd give this a B or B+, and probably would have moved from liked it to loved it territory if only...
Spoiler:
they had the balls to just kill off Mika and her partner and not deal with the stupid "special heart" crap at the end. I wish they had a far smaller role and used the old asian fellow at the beginning for backstory/exposition instead.
Old 11-28-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the traffic fight was enough to get a thumbs up for me...
Old 11-28-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted to love this movie...but so much was wrong with it, I was only mildly entertained while being completely frustrated the whole time. I love gore in these kinds of movies, but the CGI gore made a LOT of it feel like a video game cut scene, rather than a movie, with a lot of the splatter and spills disappearing in the next shot... not a deal breaker though.

Clunky dialogue, horrible plot and boring flashbacks? Check. Seriously, when it wasn't Ninja action on the screen, this movie was like watching paint dry. Awful.

I guess my biggest problem with the movie has to do with the fact that they went for SUPERNATURAL ninjas - I tend to like my Ninja's to be quick and intelligent, staying stealthy that way, rather than practically teleporting in mid fight, emerging out of the shadows whispering like ghosts and running with speeds that would make the tazmanian devil jealous... all of that stuff elicited LAUGHS and WTF's rather than being cool. Had they ditched the supernatural element I may have been able to forgive the rest of the faults, but watching it felt like WORK rather than FUN. 2.5/5 stars.
Old 11-29-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if you're aiming for an "R" rating, at least use it for all the gory and blood splatter you can, plus toss in a few gratuitous F-bombs while you're at it, and that's what they did with "Ninja Assassin". I joked when responded to a Facebook entry on this movie with "The Red Cross called, they want their blood bank supplies back." It was truly a ridiculous amount of blood a-spewin' at almost every Ninja confrontation.

What the trailers tell you in 10 seconds, this film takes around 45 minutes to finally get to the point of the main character's Raizo (played by Rain) rogue Ninja lifestyle. With plodding and involving flashback, the film settles for a few training and fight scenes, throwing in training montages in case we didn't get the point: Ninjas are badasses. I think the script relies a little too much on the supernatural abilities of Ninjas, either developed or innate, who really knows, I don't think the writers do. Let's just say their recuperative powers somehow veers towards Wolverine than, say, James T. Kirk.

There is a strange chase sequence with "Ninjas against the flow of car traffic" that defies logic, gravity and belief, but if it were played for a little more laughs, I'd gone with it more.

Overall, a weak story, with lots of martial arts action, and copious amounts of red corn syrup on display, with more than a dash of dismemberment on this side of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Last edited by Patman; 11-29-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-29-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and loved it. An average B movie but with a good budget, and slick film making. I hope the producers of GI Joe take notice for their sequel.
Old 11-29-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Overall, a weak story, with lots of martial arts action, and copious amounts of red corn syrup on display
I wish this were true, but seriously, 90% of the blood/gore effects in this movie were CGI - I'm willing to bet they used less actual physical 'blood' than most PG-13 action flicks.
Old 12-04-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

This wasn't as bad as the reviews make it sound, there were some cool elements in the movie. I agree that the interpol plot was a bore and I couldn't have cared less about it, and yes it's filled to the brim with CGI blood, but most of the action scenes were pretty cool...and that's all that really matters in this type of movie, right?

Grade: B-
Old 12-04-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's bad movie but entertaining. I'd put it along with Home Alone 3 in terms of entertainment. But that's just about it, nothing more of the movie.

2/5 for the movie overall.
Old 12-04-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets
it's bad movie but entertaining. I'd put it along with Home Alone 3 in terms of entertainment. But that's just about it, nothing more of the movie.

2/5 for the movie overall.
Your comparing this to Home Alone 3? At least you could have compared this to something in the same genre.
Old 12-05-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Your comparing this to Home Alone 3? At least you could have compared this to something in the same genre.
that's how bad the movie was for me. I didn't compare the story or genre or anything else, but the "entertainment" department. Both of them are bad movies but it's entertaining. Hope it's clear.
Old 05-08-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Just saw this on BLU and fucking loved it!.

Fastastic popcorn flick and I hope we get a sequel!
Old 05-08-11, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno...I really wanted to like it...but it was too stupid for me. I pretty much regret having it on BD.
Old 05-08-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was entertaining, but I remember being distracted by the obvious CGI blood.
Old 05-09-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Got the BD last spring as a blind buy. Overall, I think it's pretty good but not great. Definitely a movie that goes great with a beer buzz and some pizza.

I still think that had they released it at a time where people weren't craving family fare, it would have done better. If you have a movie where the ideal audience is young adults/college types, the worst thing to do is open right on a family holiday (Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, Easter weekend) . While they probably want to see it, they won't skip out on family gatherings to do so (if they're on good terms with everyone at least ) .