Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Burn After Reading (New Coen Bros. movie): Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Burn After Reading (New Coen Bros. movie): Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The more I think about this movie, the funnier it gets.

I'm gonna have to go see it again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Me too. There are so many great lines and scenes in this film. One that immediately comes to mind:

McDormand: English....ENGLISH!

then

McDormand: Agent.....AGENT!!
Old 09-14-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Just got back from seeing it. Kinda slow at the beginning but really picked up when Brad Pitts character shows up. He was my favorite of all the characters. The machine Clooney built was completely unexpected in a disturbingly funny way along with the pitt surprising clooney scene. Overall i thought it was a smart funny movie that will definately see again.
Old 09-14-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Kubrick reference: before the opening shot of the planet, there's a beeping noise; that's the exact same warning noise that goes off in 2001 when

Spoiler:
Dave prepares to exit the pod after HAL locks him out of the ship

To me, the funniest moments were when Clooney
Spoiler:
was tearfully smashing up his wife's "present" and when he was freaking out in the park near the end.
Old 09-15-08, 06:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Totally inconsequential fluff, but great and hilarious. One of the best uses of a "MacGuffin" in years.
Old 09-17-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that Clooney will totally humiliate himself in the Coens' movies.

Pitt was awesome.

I wish McDormand's character had a little more motivation behind her actions besides the surgery thing though.

I really enjoyed how serious the music in the film was, like we're watching a top-notch spy thriller.
Old 09-18-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
This was a solid film with top notch performances all around. I would echo the thoughts of those previously who said that it started off slow, but certainly finishes strong...both in the pace of the movie and the humor as well. In the theater I was in, I heard very little laughter or reaction to things until halfway through.
Old 09-18-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
In the theater I was in, I heard very little laughter or reaction to things until halfway through.
That's funny, in the theater I was in, there was nonstop laughter starting with the "...compared to you, everyone has a drinking problem" line. And that was what, 3 minutes in?
Old 09-18-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That's funny, in the theater I was in, there was nonstop laughter starting with the "...compared to you, everyone has a drinking problem" line. And that was what, 3 minutes in?
To be fair, there may have been 20 folks in the theater I was in (matinee), but I was sitting near the front and definitely heard the laughter towards the latter parts of the movie.
Old 09-22-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Was it just me or was John Malkovich the best part of the movie? He was perfect mixture of hilarious and intense in every scene.
Old 09-22-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauce07
Was it just me or was John Malkovich the best part of the movie? He was perfect mixture of hilarious and intense in every scene.
The way he kept saying memoirs killed me. From his interviews it seems to be the way that he would really say it, so props to the Coens and Malkovich himself for letting it become a great joke throughout the first part of the film.
Old 09-22-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I really enjoyed this flick. It was made like a straight spy flick/thriller where everybody just happened to be a complete idiot. The dramatic revealing of Clooney's device after all the taut and brooding music was greatness.

Really well made flick that seems to simultaneously lampoon everybody and nobody.
Old 09-22-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw this movie over the weekend and thought it was the funniest Coen movie I have seen, although not their best (or even their best comedy). The dialogue was nice and snappy and some of the running gags were hilarious ("I've got enough time to get a run in.") I felt really bad for Richard Jenkin's character: the one person who was good at heart and not an idiot, and what does he get? Rejection and death.

It is definitely a "light" movie but absolutely watchable and entertaining.
Old 09-23-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fantastic movie, big props to the Coen's for being on the ball with every project they work on, and for putting out such a great film not even a year after the success of No Country.

Also, props for having the guts to

Spoiler:

blow Brad Pitts brains out

half way through the movie!
Old 09-27-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Saw it last night. Fantastic film. Once it starts rolling it hooks you in and doesn't let go. My favorite scene was Clooney breaking down after finding out his wife hired a P.I. to tail him around.

"Relax pal, it happens to everybody"
Old 09-27-08, 12:03 PM

I loved the movie as well. The characters were great and I like how the movie gradually built itself up for the ending.
Old 09-27-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That was amusing as hell.

I may have been one of the only people to like it, particularly after its somewhat abrupt ending.

***1/2 out of five.
Old 09-28-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
"This...is...a CRUCIFIXION!"

He's inspired me to yell "MORON!" at bad drivers a lot.
Old 09-28-08, 10:11 AM
Banned

Osbourne Cox?
Old 09-28-08, 03:35 PM

John Malkovich was hysterical. The way he would say the word fuck had me cracking up. (minor spoilers) Like that one scene where he found all of his stuff outside the house and just kept saying "What the fuuck?" was great. And when he was watching the workout video and kept saying "I'm back you fuckers, I'm back." haha
Old 09-28-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Osbourne Cox?
We thought you'd be worried...about the security...OF YOUR SHIT!
Old 10-04-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Caught a matinee this morning and thought it was mediocre. Didn't laugh much throughout the movie at all, but enjoyed the quirkiness of Brad Pitt's character and the facial reactions that Clooney had throughout the film. Frances was pretty good as well bouncing off the other characters. Besides that, fairly nonsensical and dry, and felt like it got off to a very slow start with Malcovich. I didn't really care for him outside of his banter with Pitt, nor did I care for Swinton.
Old 12-30-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
Funny movie. Didn't think I would like this one at all.

I started getting into a laughing fit at
Spoiler:
"It's my ass, something cracked in my ass"

Then completely lost it when
Spoiler:
Clooney opens the closet door to Brad Pitt with that goofy as smile on his face - perfect, and as soon as I started to laugh, his damn head gets blown off - I stopped laughing, said "OH SHIT!!!", then remembered him smiling and started laughing my ass off again.

Also, the CIA scenes (not sure if it was CIA or not) were fucking hilarious - perfectly played out.

Slow moving but an absolute must watch film.
Old 12-30-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i watched it with my mom last week. Very funny movie, i also loved that it was played 100% serious all the time.
Was it one of the Zuckers or maybe Romero that said that the best parody's/satires are the ones that are played serious, and i agree with that.
The biggest laugh from me was the reveal of Clooney's divice. Also was the name Osbourne Cox supposed to be a humorus name as in 'lol his last name is cox?
Old 12-30-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Then completely lost it when
Spoiler:
Clooney opens the closet door to Brad Pitt with that goofy as smile on his face - perfect, and as soon as I started to laugh, his damn head gets blown off - I stopped laughing, said "OH SHIT!!!", then remembered him smiling and started laughing my ass off again.
Spoiler:
Clooney's subsequent reaction makes it even funnier.

"I just killed a fucking spook!"
Old 12-30-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Spoiler:
Clooney's subsequent reaction makes it even funnier.

"I just killed a fucking spook!"
Spoiler:
All I remember saying is, to my girlfriend, "Did George Clooney just blow Brad Pitt's fucking head off?"

Brilliant all around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.