Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Burn After Reading (New Coen Bros. movie): Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Burn After Reading (New Coen Bros. movie): Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I wouldn't say Pitt's performance in Seven and Fight Club were mediocre at best. I thought he was great in both. Nor would I say that his performance in Mr. and Mrs. Smith was comedy gold.... but I do agree that Pitt is much more fun to watch in comedic/almost slapstick roles.
I agree with this. I'd say his "limits" as an actor dovetail rather nicely with the character he plays in Se7en. He's the brash, impetuous young cop to Morgan Freeman's staid, world-weary Morgan Freeman cop.

I'd have to question the terms being used as well. "Serious-looking" movie? I guess 12 Monkeys could look serious. But then it's a Terry Gilliam movie so it's supposed to be fantastic and ludicrous. Was Pitt's character supposed to be a strong dramatic portrayal of a man with a mental illness? This ain't One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I also don't get why people like his role in True Romance. He has a total of eight lines or so and none of them are great. I get it, he's stoned. Whatever. The cool thing about the movie is that the cast is so packed that it can afford to have Brad Pitt sit on a couch, not because Pitt's performance is a comedic tour-de-force.
Old 08-28-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Yeah, go watch Swinton in movies like The Deep End, Orlando or The War Zone and then get back to me on whether she can measure up to Pitt's acting ability. Hell, she was the best thing in more popular movies like Chronicles of Narnia, The Beach, Constantine and Michael Clayton.

It's been 10 years or so since I've seen Kalifornia, so I really can't comment on that. I give him all the credit in the world though for choosing interesting projects and avoiding parts that play on his looks and body, or when the role does, it's usually in some sort of perverse way. He just generally sucks in dramatic films, that's all.
I have seen all those Tilda Swinton movies. She's no Cate Blanchett or Brad Pitt for that matter.
Old 08-28-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tilda Swinton was not the best thing in Constantine - not by a mile. Not a great movie yeah, but she nearly ruined it IMO. I just can't stand her - she was fine in Clayton but I hated her in The Deep End and Narnia... Pitt is leagues better.
Old 08-28-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Yeah, Swinton, IMO, was the best thing about Constantine and Narnia. Made both of those films watchable in some capacity.

I like Pitt as well, while he isn't the best actor in the world I'm generally not overly analytical and it doesn't bother me unless it just really stands out as subpar.
Old 08-28-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Got some links? Wouldn't mind having some reading material this afternoon. All I've seen are Variety (negative) and Hollywood Reporter (positive).

Edit:

Found a few others:

Variety (Negative)
Hollywood Reporter (Positive)
International Herald Tribune (Positive)
The Guardian (Positive)
Screen Daily/International (Positive)
Bloomberg News (Positive)
Emanuel Levy (Positive)
Time Out London (Positive)
Yeah, what terrible reviews. Almost unanimously positive.
Old 08-28-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by theflicker
I agree with this. I'd say his "limits" as an actor dovetail rather nicely with the character he plays in Se7en. He's the brash, impetuous young cop to Morgan Freeman's staid, world-weary Morgan Freeman cop.
He certainly does the "hotheaded asshole" routine well, but it's obvious while watching the movie that he can't hold his own when paired up with Freeman or Kevin Spacey (or worse, the two of them at the same time). And I doubt any acting class will be using his final scene in the film as study material, unless it's for an example of how not to perform a serious, heavy scene.

I'd have to question the terms being used as well. "Serious-looking" movie? I guess 12 Monkeys could look serious. But then it's a Terry Gilliam movie so it's supposed to be fantastic and ludicrous.
Just because Gilliam applies his usual offbeat "more Dutch angles, more closeups with wide-angle lenses!" style to the story doesn't make it any less serious than a more straightforward approach.

I also don't get why people like his role in True Romance. He has a total of eight lines or so and none of them are great. I get it, he's stoned. Whatever. The cool thing about the movie is that the cast is so packed that it can afford to have Brad Pitt sit on a couch, not because Pitt's performance is a comedic tour-de-force.
It's not the size of the performance, it's what you make of it. And Pitt made the most of his brief role, just like several other actors in the movie. You don't have to be on every page and have a monologue in order to give a great, memorable performance.
Old 09-04-08, 10:10 PM

Awesome!

Just got back from an early screening of this in Chicago. I can't believe there are bad reviews for this movie. I am not even a huge Coen Bros. fan and I thought it was the best movie I have seen so far this year (well Batman is up there too). I think the Coen Bros. are a shoe in for best Original Screenplay. The story was well crafted....witty, clever, hilarious, and much, much more. Excellent performances by George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Francis McDormand, and John Malkovich. I wouldn't be suprised if most of them get nominated too. Granted it's early in the year, but man I can't stop thinking about how good this movie is.

P.S. I am definitely not the best writer when it comes to critiquing movies, but to sum it up: Do yourself a favor and go see this movie. I can't wait to see it again.
Old 09-08-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8 brief clips. "Chickee chickee chickee!"
Old 09-11-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The review here is good.

I'm stoked about this film.
Old 09-12-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really enjoyed this one. McDormand and Pitt steal every scene they're in. Clooney is great (mostly in his scenes with McDormand) and the plot moves along at a great pace...once it gets going that is...I thought the setup took a bit too long with Malkovich's character being the only thing sort of holding this movie back... Him and Swinton feel out of place. Malkovich gets a few moments but other times we check in with him for brief moments that feel awkwardly placed within the film as a whole...and Swinton doesn't have a lot to do....

but the people who are doing stuff get some crazy screwball shit to work with. I love the CIA people, Richard Jenkins is awesome and again the Coen's have given Clooney a hilarious character trait (in line with his Daper Dan and white teeth obsessions in previous flicks)... that machine is hilarious. Like I said, once the plot gets going (basically when the Hardbodies staff enters the flick) it really takes off and never looks back, with great twists and turns and a lot of Classic Coen elements. This one definitely stands in line with movies like O Brother and The Big Lebowski (tonally anyhow, Burn is not as brilliant overall as those) and I had a great time. Light, crazy and FUN. 4/5

I'm still cracking up at Pitt's performance...best line of the movie
Spoiler:
"You think that's a Schwinn!"
Old 09-12-08, 06:30 PM

Loved this one. If you liked Raising Arizona and O Brother you'll get a kick out of this.

mdc3000, agreed about that being the best line. Pitt was great overall.
Old 09-12-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was solid, the screenplay was very intricate, and well acted by everyone. Very funny, it is good they released this only months after winning best picture, instead of waiting 3-5 years for a follow-up.

My only problem was JK Simmons always playing the same character, in that same tone. Maybe we could've seen the characters wrap up instead of that CIA guy explain everything, the things they talked about would've been fun to see.
Old 09-12-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This one screams for repeat viewings. I think like Lebowski this will shoot to comedy classic status after it because this movie rocks. Everyone was brilliant. Just SEE this movie. And the ending had me rolling. Hard to find a favorite part:

Spoiler:
The buildup and payoff to Harry's sex toy.

Osbourne working out ("FUCK fucker's I'm back!") .

Chad and Linda's initial call to Osbourne.

Chad meeting Osbourne and the ensuing car chase.

The Lebowski-esque joke recycling (i.e. the Dermot Mulroney movie and repeated use of the word "moron").

And people, the part where Chad dies is right up there with Deep Blue Sea with WTF death scenes. And funnier too.
Old 09-12-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
LOVED it.

Hilarious all around. Coen Brothers genius. The theater I saw it at was full of people laughing out loud throughout, including me.
Old 09-13-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Coens have never disappointed me and that still stands after my viewing of Burn After Reading.
Old 09-13-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I love both O Brother Were Art Thou? and The Big Lebowski but I laughed harder at Burn After Reading than I did the previous two combined!

Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, and Malkovich were all fantastic. Pitt stole the show and basically gave us an hour and a half version of his True Romance performance.

Spoiler:
Pitt's death scene reminded me a lot of Marvin's death in Pulp Fiction, so unexpected yet so funny
Old 09-13-08, 03:00 PM

Just saw it and it was great. Def. one to see more than once to appreciate just how well done it is. The best part of it for me was Pitt's expressions when he got in the car with Malkovich.
Old 09-13-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just got back....and LOVED it! Yeah, screw the bad reviews. This was such an enjoyable film. Everyone turns in terrific performances. I'd give it 8.5/10
Old 09-13-08, 04:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I saw this today as well -- thought it was pretty good. Classic Coen Bros.
Old 09-13-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really enjoyed it as well... It seemed to get funnier as it when along. I thought Pitt and McDormand were obviously great, but JK Simmons and the guy "reporting" to him had the best 2 scenes of the movie imo.
Old 09-13-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Great film - much better than I thought it would be.

Just echoing everyone else here - great performances. Funny and brutal at times. Good stuff.
Old 09-13-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With many of the characters intersecting at cross purposes with imperfect information and leaps to various conclusions, "Burn After Reading"'s script does a good job of giving the cast good lines, situations and reactions (to situations) and produces a film that quietly picks up steam and never lags while never becoming predictable but comes to an overall ironical conclusion that might produce an overall satisfying laugh or applause from the audience.

The cast is uniformily good and up to the challenge that the Coens have set up for them (though I thought Tilda Swinton was a little under-used, but Brad Pitt steals practically every one of his scenes). The Coens continue to show their deftness for combining elements of dark humor and violence, eliciting shock and laughs from their audience, but never losing focus of the storyline.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 09-14-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw this yesterday and had a good time with it. While I don't think it ranks with their best (Fargo, No Country, Lebowski), it's definitely a fun way to spend 90 minutes.
Old 09-14-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Really enjoyed it as well... It seemed to get funnier as it when along. I thought Pitt and McDormand were obviously great, but JK Simmons and Sledge Hammer had the best 2 scenes of the movie imo.
Fixed.
Old 09-14-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
The more I think about this movie, the funnier it gets.

I'm gonna have to go see it again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.