Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 10:56 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Red Letter Media posted a Crystal Skull review a few days ago.

Great stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-zphhfHon_I
Old 05-11-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,248 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Red Letter Media posted a Crystal Skull review a few days ago.

Great stuff.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-zphhfHon_I
Glad they had time to figure it out.
Old 05-11-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 322 Posts

I saw this at the theater and was disappointed. Not too long ago, I put Crystal Skull on, intending to watch just the opening scene and I wound up getting sucked in and watching the whole movie. Nowhere near the greatness of the 80`s Indiana Jones movies, but this one is still perfectly acceptable late afternoon viewing. I had fun more often then I didn`t.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (05-05-20)
Old 05-12-14, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the thing i remember most is that shot of Harrison Ford's front teeth at the end when he's looking to the sky and remembering his dad. Youd think with his money Ford would afford better looking dentures. Same goes for Leonard Nimoy.
Old 05-04-20, 09:14 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread is a fascinating read (at least the first few pages) cause it consists of half of the people trying to will themselves into believing this wasn't a disaster of a movie, and the other half accepting the sad reality of disappointment.

I think many of these late 90s / early 2000s movies are gonna go down in the nadirs of film history because CGI was still so primitive. This film looks horrible in retrospect, blatant green-screening throughout.
Old 05-04-20, 09:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I may have to suck it up and watch it again, but if it's one thing I remember is that the effects weren't bad at all. Just everything else.
Old 05-04-20, 09:18 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by E Unit
I may have to suck it up and watch it again, but if it's one thing I remember is that the effects weren't bad at all. Just everything else.
Including the parts when Indy's fridge gets nuked, or Shia swings like Tarzan through the trees?

The entire screen looks fake except the actors.
Old 05-04-20, 09:33 PM

Received 4,606 Likes on 3,122 Posts

The effects are awful.

I saw this posted a few weeks ago. 7:40 they start talking about this movie.

Old 05-04-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

The whole movie looked like it was shot on a green screen a la Sky Captain.
Old 05-04-20, 09:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
Including the parts when Indy's fridge gets nuked, or Shia swings like Tarzan through the trees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdaoAYveUA

The entire screen looks fake except the actors.
Hello, I forgot all those parts, including the fridge nuke. Well, that clip is enough to make me not want to see it again. So thanks.
Old 05-04-20, 09:50 PM

Received 4,606 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Old 05-04-20, 09:51 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by dex14
The effects are awful.

I saw this posted a few weeks ago. 7:40 they start talking about this movie.

https://youtu.be/enU6nyyNR4I
The point they made about physics.

Originally Posted by RichC2
The whole movie looked like it was shot on a green screen a la Sky Captain.
That's a good comparison, although it worked for Sky Captain because we weren't coming in with expectations of a more gritty look, like with previous Indy films. It also worked cause Sky Captain is superior to Crystal Skull in every other form of film-making and storytelling.

It also reminds me a bit of the final shots of Vanilla Sky, although again it worked for that movie because it's consistent with the dreamy feeling of the entire film

Hello, I forgot all those parts, including the fridge nuke. Well, that clip is enough to make me not want to see it again. So thanks.
Happy to help.
Old 05-04-20, 11:35 PM
Former Member

I also want to add that I find it a bit dismaying how many people seem to think Temple of Doom is a bad film?

It's a far more interesting and adventurous movie than The Last Crusade.The Last Crusade is basically what happens when a director capitulates to a whiny fanbase. The next film ends up being Diminishing Returns: The Movie. I saw something similar in the J.J. Abrams directed Star Wars films. Filmmakers who are afraid of negative reaction from the fanbase so they do paint-by-numbers Indiana Jones and you wind up with a fun, albeit slightly soulless retread.

Temple of Doom has a ton of flaws, but it's macabre and old and evil presence is a really cool left-turn from Raiders, yet it still feels a part of the Indiana Jones universe. It's a way more interesting movie to watch and discuss.

Last edited by atrium; 05-05-20 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I also want to add that I find it a bit dismaying how many people seem to think Temple of Doom is a bad film?

It's a far more interesting and adventurous movie than The Last Crusade.The Last Crusade is basically what happens when a director capitulates to a whiny fanbase. The next film ends up being Diminishing Returns: The Movie. I saw something similar in the J.J. Abrams directed Star Wars films. Filmmakers who are afraid of negative reaction from the fanbase so they do paint-by-numbers Indiana Jones and you wind up with a fun, albeit slightly soulless retread.

Temple of Doom has a ton of flaws, but it's macabre and old and evil presence is a really cool left-turn from Raiders, yet it still feels a part of the Indiana Jones universe. It's a way more interesting movie to watch and discuss.
Thank you.
But I thought that Spielberg himself was unhappy with Temple of Doom because supposedly he was in a dark place when he made it, and therefore, that's why it was supposedly a "darker" film. I honestly don't see how it was any darker when in the first one you had people's faces getting melted off, and people skewered and shot in the head. Was the public critical of ToD at the time? If that was the case, maybe that was just an excuse that he used so people weren't just thinking he was caving to the critics? Kind of like the Star Wars cast throwing Rian Johnson under the bus to promote TROS.

Temple of Doom is a great follow up to Raiders. Last Crusade isn't bad, but I can't even get through the first third of the film. The first two though, I can watch from beginning to end. I wanted to see another exotic locale, and instead it's mostly just Europe.
Old 05-05-20, 10:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Thank you.
But I thought that Spielberg himself was unhappy with Temple of Doom because supposedly he was in a dark place when he made it, and therefore, that's why it was supposedly a "darker" film. I honestly don't see how it was any darker when in the first one you had people's faces getting melted off, and people skewered and shot in the head.
i think heart ripped out of chest beats face melt...
Old 05-05-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,248 Likes on 858 Posts

Funny, I remember the exact opposite ... the effects were god-awful and the rest could have been made tolerable (but really wasn't) if they hadn't gone the Phantom Menace route.
Old 05-05-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i think heart ripped out of chest beats face melt...
Apples and oranges, but they’re both still fruit.

Temple of Doom isn’t that much different in tone than Raiders.
I’m watching the scene now and the hear itself is realistic and creepy, but it’s not like Freddy ripping it out someone’s organs. It’s surprising bloodless for a heart that’s “ripped out.” The guy here is apparently still alive too.

Even though I grew up on Indiana Jones movies, I don’t necessarily think the series is “family friendly” and it seems like some of the critics at the time were under the impression that it was supposed to be. Plus it had a slightly stronger rating so what’s the problem? Is it really so much better to portray the Nazis again as mere Saturday Morning Cartoon villains?