Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Couldn't give two craps about Lucas and his junk, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of Stevie's old stuff revisited. A new Jurassic Park movie as long as he directs might be cool. Maybe a bigger budget remake of Duel. No matter what he does, please, for the love of God, leave Jaws alone though.
I'm always open to another JP.
Old 10-04-08, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm always open to another JP.
Not sure why anyone would be as both sequels were absolutely abysmal.
Old 10-04-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As a pure monster movie, I think the third one delivered, outside the ridiculous ending. It's the inner 'dinosaur-loving' kid in me.
Old 10-12-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.allabout-sp.net/?p=season12/1208

No wonder why Southpark created a homage on their 12th season premiere
Old 10-15-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Just saw this on dvd and hmmmm, not terrible but rather disappointing

i thought Harrison still pulled off an older Indy quite well. I'm over Shia Leboef, he is being overexposed.

The story was just lacklustre
Ford was fine, except for his old man pants.

Shia was worthless.

This felt more like National Treasure than Indy 4. If Spielberg's name hadn't been in the credits I would have had no idea he directed it. There was just nothing special about it. The CGI and digital backgrounds were less credible than the effects used in Jurassic Park, which was 15 freakin' years ago.
Old 10-15-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21
The CGI and digital backgrounds were less credible than the effects used in Jurassic Park, which was 15 freakin' years ago.
I noticed this from just the dvd commercials that have been airing. I originally wanted to get this on blu ray, but i'm afraid that will make it look even worse.
Old 10-15-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
A super magnet so powerful it will pull shotgun pellets from tens of feet away, but has no effect on the rifles hanging over thier shoulders. Well directed!

This was bad.
Old 11-02-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
I just saw this for the first time on dvd and I love it. I've always been a huge Indy Jones fan it it was great to see him in action one again.

I don't understand all the hate review people are giving this film. It's just a fun, popcorn summer film. The entire series as never tried to be "serious"" type film. It's just mindless fun that it's supposed to be, plain and simple. Here's how I rate the series.

1. Raiders
2. Temple of Doom
3. KOTCS
4. TLC
Old 11-02-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I don't understand all the hate review people are giving this film.
* Shitty CGI that looks less believable than Jurassic Park's effects, and that was 15 years ago.

* Shia Labeouf

* Filming on sound stages instead of on location so Spielberg could stay close to home.

* Finding the crystal skull by basically opening a blanket, then using it for the entire film to solve any and every problem.

* Effing aliens.
Old 11-03-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read on wiki that Tom Selleck was first cast to play Indy but CBS wouldn't let him do it because of Magnum PI was doing well in the ratings and wouldn't give him the time off to shoot the film.

For all of you that are crapping on Indy 4, if Selleck had gotten the chance to play Indy, we wouldn't be having this conversation now because there wouldn't have been a TOD, TLC or KOTCS.
Old 11-03-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
A super magnet so powerful it will pull shotgun pellets from tens of feet away, but has no effect on the rifles hanging over thier shoulders. Well directed!
Old 11-03-08, 11:36 AM

I just read on wiki that Tom Selleck was first cast to play Indy but CBS wouldn't let him do it because of Magnum PI was doing well in the ratings and wouldn't give him the time off to shoot the film.

For all of you that are crapping on Indy 4, if Selleck had gotten the chance to play Indy, we wouldn't be having this conversation now because there wouldn't have been a TOD, TLC or KOTCS.
You're sure of that?
Old 11-03-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm tired of "It's just a fun, popcorn summer film" That was the excuse Star Wars prequel apologists used. A movie can be a fun popcorn movie and smart. Raiders was smart and serious (remember Indy thought Marion was blown up) Belloq and Indy trading barbs at the cafe is still one of my favorite parts of the movie, so was the scene with Indy holding the bazooka. Doom was probably less serious, but man, it was dark and violent and thats what people kinda remember it by. Crusade had an interesting father-son angle to it...this had screaming monkeys and fire ants.
Old 11-03-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Leave the fire ants out of it. They rocked.
Old 11-03-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but they rocked better in this movie which spawned the best VHS cover ever!
Old 11-03-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kajs
You're sure of that?
Do you think for a minute that Tom Selleck could have pulled off being Indy Jones? He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
Old 11-23-08, 02:42 AM

I just saw this movie on DVD. I hadn't seen it since May or June when it was in theaters.
Old 11-23-08, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by RD1973
I just saw this movie on DVD. I hadn't seen it since May or June when it was in theaters.
Not sure why I couldn't edit my post but anyway:

I just saw this movie on DVD. I hadn't seen it since May or June when it was in theaters. I remember kind of liking it, but then all the online bitching eventually tainted my opinion of it.

Now that the dust has settled, I can say that this is actually a very good movie. There's still some bad moments (Marion's introduction, the quicksand scene, and Mutt swinging with the monkeys). But all of this adds up to 5 minutes in a 2 hour movie.

The first thing I noticed this time around is that the cinematography is beautiful. Also, there is more on-set or on location stuff than I remembered (online reviews would have you believe that the whole thing was done in front of a blue screen). The most memorable set being the chamber with the alien skeletons.

This was also, by far, the most "swashbuckling" movie of the year. The Area 51 scene, the campus chase, and the Jungle chase are excellent action scenes.

As for the story, I actually found the whole Orellana / Crystal Skull stuff fascinating. The crystal skull is, in my opinion, the most intriguing artifact Indy has gone after. And the Stan Winston studio did a great job creating those skulls / skeletons.

I also think that the ending is the most spectacular and eerie since Raiders. This is due, in part, to John Williams music which is very creepy during the alien chamber scene. The music during the Jungle Chase is very good too. It reminded me of the music for the truck chase in Raiders.

And finally, at this point, I love the fridge scene. And the prairie dogs are a non-issue (I can' believe so much was made of that).
Old 03-27-09, 10:41 AM

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

The movie started out alright and then went downhill from the moment that fridge landed. I saw it for the first time last night (had the Blu since the BF deal) and I agree with the points made by Chuck. The only point I'll disagree with is Shia. But then again, I don't really mind him as an actor. Granted I will bust up laughing if he tries a serious role but he's the prince of popcorn flicks. However, I do hope that little thing they did at the end of the movie doesn't play out in him taking over the franchise. As for the CGI. That was f'ing brutal. It reminded me of the CGI on the first few Bond Blus...you know the movies made in the SIXTIES. The worst offender was the sword fight scene in the jungle. And finally, I haven't seen it mentioned that Cate Blanchett was completely miscast. CZJ would have made a lot more sense. Sorry but as much as I can't see Shia in a serious role, Blanchett seems out of place in popcorn flicks.
Old 03-27-09, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shia sucks...period
Old 03-27-09, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't really say I like him in anything except maybe Transformers, though it had way too much humor for what the situation called for.
Old 03-27-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

i'm sure this is in the thread multiple times, but here's one more:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 03-27-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 744 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I can't really say I like him in anything except maybe Transformers, though it had way too much humor for what the situation called for.
He was actually serviceable and not annoying in Eagle Eye.
Old 03-27-09, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilshalo
He was actually serviceable and not annoying in Eagle Eye.
he's also way too much of a pansy to be taken seriously as an action star. transformers would have been way better off with someone else. crystal skull would have been better off never being made.

Last edited by jmu878; 03-27-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-27-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you think for a minute that Tom Selleck could have pulled off being Indy Jones? He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
ah come on now....he does alright. At least good enough for the Indy series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.