Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Raiders' ending wasn't "small." Neither was Last Crusade.
In the Indy 4 ending of Raiders, the entire island would've sank.

In the Indy 4 ending of Crusade, the outside of the temple would've crumbled, taking with it half of the canyon so it was no longer a crescent moon.

Both of those endings were deeply impactful and were "big" emotionally without needing to resort to a larger-than-life setpiece. The new movie's ending lacked that emotional impact so they decided to up the ante in the visuals: an entire valley collapses and is flooded by water! A gigantic spaceship floats in the air!

It didn't work.
Old 05-27-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As a side note, one more bit of silliness were the random natives that attack them in the cemetery with their martial arts. That felt really out of place to me, especially since the Russians show up shortly after and the ninja guys are totally forgotten.
At first I thought they were this movie's version of The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword (which the natives at the end obviously were), but this was also handled somewhat poorly.
Old 05-27-08, 01:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
In the Indy 4 ending of Raiders, the entire island would've sank.

In the Indy 4 ending of Crusade, the outside of the temple would've crumbled, taking with it half of the canyon so it was no longer a crescent moon.

Both of those endings were deeply impactful and were "big" emotionally without needing to resort to a larger-than-life setpiece. The new movie's ending lacked that emotional impact so they decided to up the ante in the visuals: an entire valley collapses and is flooded by water! A gigantic spaceship floats in the air!

It didn't work.
gotta love applying logic to Indy films. sorry, I don't waste my time with such nonsense.

Last edited by Brack; 05-27-08 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not so sure that was logic being applied there

The ending is a curious thing though, now that I think about it. In the previous 3, there seemed to be a far bigger culmination of the plot resulting in Indy overcoming the dangers that preceded his whole chase. In Raiders, obviously the Ark opening and face melting. In Doom, the whole mine scene and then Mola Ram attempting to pull out Indy's heart. Crusade was a bit more subdued, with Indy going through the trials and choosing the Grail. In Skull, it didn't really end with Indy, rather ending with Blanchett and the Skulls. Indy really didn't do anything in the last arc of the film, which was a bit disappointing.

Maybe that's why the emotion wasn't there, because we didn't see him go through this tough journey and be victorious at the end. It felt less of Indy's heroics, and more of Indy as the most recognizable character of an ensemble.
Old 05-27-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
If you can suspend your belief to include holy angels of death, voodoo, and a multi-century old knight errant, why would you have a problem with suspending your beliefs for what happens in this film.

A good addition to the Indy franchise.
Because alot of that stuff is reliant on or has basis through religion. Not to say that is right (as I don't believe any religion) but at last check there wasn't much religious about Roswell landings and aliens in ancient Peru.
Old 05-27-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe that's why the emotion wasn't there, because we didn't see him go through this tough journey and be victorious at the end. It felt less of Indy's heroics, and more of Indy as the most recognizable character of an ensemble.
That's a good point. Between the more ensemble feel and the complete lack of any danger or suspense that Blanchett provided, there wasn't much of an emotional investment for me.
Old 05-27-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Bus's analogy is spot on. There's a difference between the different believability that people are referring to here... I'm fine with the sci-fi angle, thought it was cool myself... But the logic of the scenes themselves and how it was done is the point of contention.
Old 05-27-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the film a few days ago and added this review to my newly-created blog...FWIW:
The beginning of Indy part 4 sets the tone of my likability scale. The original Raiders opening sequence is iconic - the rolling ball, poison darts, a cobweb-covered Indy running through the jungle toward an awaiting water plane while evading spears. Classic. Or Temple’s enjoyable sequence of Indy looking for the antidote and Kate Capshaw trying to grab a diamond amongst a foot-cluttered mass evacuation of the nightclub. Even seeing young Indy steal Coronado’s cross and escape via train and run home to Papa Connery was a great start to The Last Crusade. But part 4 is lacking that memorable sequence, and the magic never really picks up from there.

Perhaps it was too many instances of suspending disbelief at the myriad of action sequences gone haywire, or maybe it was the odd plot that leads to a somewhat-out-of-place climax (for an Indy movie, anyway). The story might have been better served for a new X-Files story. Wait - actually, it feels kind of like the last X-Files movie.

Ford maintained his charisma well, but Karen Allen looked a little ragged for me. The cute, spunky, feisty Marion of old is now just - well - old. She seemed like a nostalgic set prop with no personality. Shia LeBouf did OK. The ’50s Fonzie vibe was a little weird for me, but with River Phoenix playing cards upstairs with Mola Ram (or what’s left of his alligator-shredded limbs), he’d make on OK Indiana Jones, Jr, Jr. reprisal for future movies. You know Speilberg and Lucas are already thinking about it.

I give this film a C+, but that’s judging it against the previous films. Otherwise, among today’s action standards, it could have scored a B. But there’s no way to score this as its own film - it’s part of the series, but doesn’t quite hold up as well as the original trilogy. I guess I was looking for more. More to the Indy legend, not just another Indy adventure. But if there’s another in the saga - Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Walker of Doom, or whatever other appropriately goofy-named sequel Steven and George come up with, I’ll be there.
Old 05-27-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,280 Likes on 2,108 Posts
Considering the completely unbelievable refrigerator scene occurred just a few minutes into the movie, I was able to get a pretty good idea what I was in for for the other hour and a half. And setting my expectations to the proper level let me enjoy the movie that much more.

If I have any dissappointment in the movie it would be my own doing. To me, Indy is Indy when he's running around 1940's Europe/Middle East fighting Nazis. The fact that he wasn't in this new movie took some getting used to and just felt off. but I can't blame the filmmakers for trying something new.

Sure, I've got some minor complaints (I loved about 90% and hated about 10% of the movie) but it seems Spielberg and Lucas were looking for a different, lighter tone for this chapter and I think it worked just fine.

My rankings (if anyone cares):
Raiders 10/10
Last Crusade 9/10
Temple of Doom 7/10
Crystal Skull 7/10

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-27-08 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Agreed. The set design for Peru was completely uninspired. Seemed like maybe a TV show or something. Also, I don't remember when they do Iguazu, but weren't those the waterfalls they go over later in the movie, once they're in the Amazon? I don't recall exactly.

But that's par for the course for South America.
No, it wasn't the ones they went over, it was a far away shot I think at the beginning of the jungle scenes. They only showed it once but it makes me grimace to see something so recognizable in the wrong country. LOL. I'm no producer/director fan boy and would never argue about that stuff... but jeez, when it comes to geography I sure get cranky easily.
Old 05-27-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know - Indy standing in front of a giant mushroom cloud is pretty iconic and memorable if you ask me.
Old 05-27-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
^^^ Exactly, that felt like it was ripped out of a 50's pulp comic. In fact the entire movie had those sorts of things laced in them. Giant killer ants a throw back to the whole radioactive monster of the week.

Originally Posted by Deftones
Because alot of that stuff is reliant on or has basis through religion. Not to say that is right (as I don't believe any religion) but at last check there wasn't much religious about Roswell landings and aliens in ancient Peru.

Uh... yes there is. Chariots of the Gods is the whole concept of it. How there's pyramids built in vastly different parts of the world at the same time without any means to communicate on how to build them.

The nuke was simply there to put us in the mind set and show that this isn't your Nazi killing Indy and he's now in the 50's with the red scare.

And as for the nuke, it would actually keep him safe. For every 2" of lead, the amount of radiation coming out the other side is cut down to 1/10th. So, for instance, if 1,000Rem went in one side of a 2" lead wall (a lethal amount of radiation) what would come out the other side is 100Rem, enough to possibly make you radiation sick, but you would not die. Whereas a dose of 1,000Rem is twice the amount necessary to guarantee death. (all of this is assuming you receive that amount of radiation in a very short time span)

So just 2" of lead are the difference b/w guaranteed agonizing death and a possibility of getting sick but a guarantee of surviving. Add 2 more inches of lead and you won't even get sick b/c the REM would be cut down to 10REM, which is equivalent to the amount you get by taking a transcontinental flight. In fact, bricks give off 7REM over the course of a year.

That doesn't come into factor being tossed 50 miles and landing in an area with burning plants.. but if you can believe him getting shot in the arm, beating up a guy and holding on to a moving truck in Raiders.. suspending your disbelief shouldn't be that difficult.
Old 05-27-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Uh... yes there is. Chariots of the Gods is the whole concept of it. How there's pyramids built in vastly different parts of the world at the same time without any means to communicate on how to build them.
This is your rebuttal?

From Wikipedia:

Most scientists and historians did not take the ideas seriously, claiming that the book's conclusions were based on faulty, pseudoscientific evidence, some of which were later demonstrated to be fraudulent and/or fabricated, and often illogical premises. For example, Ronald Story wrote a book rebutting Däniken's ideas in 1976 titled The Space Gods Revealed. A similar book titled Crash Go The Chariots by Clifford Wilson appeared in 1972.
Not to say that some of the religious stuff in past movies isn't similarly based on false information, but at least people believe that shit and has a foundation in religion. Your example is nothing more than some guy coming up with some laughable hypothesis to explain away similarities in certain things. Doesn't sound like there's anyone out there that even believes his crap, including himself. He's even debunked some of his own information if you look at the Wiki page.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-27-08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Regardless of whether or not you want to come up with a rationalization for why aliens makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (from what I can tell) had trouble buying it. Blame the audience if you want, but it won't change someone's opinion that Indy dealing with aliens feels more out of place then dealing with religion. And this is coming from someone that is agnostic/almost atheist and knows there's a better chance of aliens existing then any of the stuff from the previous 3 movies
Old 05-27-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
I've been sitting on this one for a few months - it probably deserves its own thread, but it's funny enough to post here.

Know how we occassionally wonder where Lucas gets his ideas from? Well, in the past months I just happened to be re-reading my Harlan Ellison collection and came across his great essay (written in 1977) about why he thought Star Wars sucked.

Most of the article is spent on how there's no human connections in the film (I won't get into how in 1978 George suddenly decided to make Darth Luke's father - that's for a Star Wars thread). Anyway, Harlan goes on to talk about the religous-like worship of Star Wars among fans, and then states:

...if I ever need crazed True Believers to help me Kill For The Love of Kali, liberate The Holy Grail, or Save Ammurrica from The Red Menace, I will begin my recruiting activities at the Avco Cinema Center on Whilshire.
Now call it an amazing coincidence folks, but as I'm sure you just noted, Harlan just mentioned the basic plot themes for the past three Indiana Jones flicks all in one sentence...in 1977...in an article about George Lucas, no less.

Ah, I hear him on the phone with his lawyers right now.

Anyway, it was too funny not to share with everyone.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-27-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Regardless of whether or not you want to come up with a rationalization for why aliens makes sense, it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (from what I can tell) had trouble buying it. Blame the audience if you want, but it won't change someone's opinion that Indy dealing with aliens feels more out of place then dealing with religion. And this is coming from someone that is agnostic/almost atheist and knows there's a better chance of aliens existing then any of the stuff from the previous 3 movies
Well said.
Old 05-27-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was just "okay". Not great and spellbinding like I thought it was going to be, and not bad like The Phantom Menace. Then again, I thought The Temple of Doom was the best Indy movie. I did like a lot about this movie though:

- It was more of a period piece than the last three movies. That really made the movie for me.

- The slapstick humor was brilliant, and it was good to see good ol' clumsy Indiana back in action.

- Shia is probably the best actor from his generation. He really made his mark on this movie.

- I like how sentimental this movie was, in typical Spielberg fashion. It was nice to see characters reminisce.
Old 05-27-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Deftones
This is your rebuttal?

Most scientists and historians did not take the ideas seriously,

Most Scientists and Historians don't believe in God. Does that make The Holy Grail and the Ark any less of worth or unbelievable in the original trilogy?

Simply put by indy in the film. "Depends on which god you believe" First film was Hebrew following, second was indian based and third was christrian, fourth was a mix of mayan. Odd how the two that aren't as mainstream are the least favorites of the series. Kate Capshaw aside.

It was pure 50's pulp. I can imagine if Raiders came out when the internet was around, it'll sound something like this..

Overall I liked the movie, but there were parts of it that were a little ridiculous. For example, how did all those snakes survive in the Well of Souls for hundreds of years? I doubt there was an abundant source of food in there. Also, Sallah and Indy both lift the giant concrete slab off the Ark by themselves? Ok, sure thing movie,

Also, during the truck chase, which started out pretty cool, it pretty much went too far over the top when Indy climbed underneath the fucking speeding truck and was being dragged from the back of it by his whip all after being shot in the arm. I get that he's a badass, but COME THE FUCK ON.

And that brings me to the worst part, the ending. It would have been ok if the Nazis just decide not to open the Ark because it would go against the wishes of their Fuhrer. They realize Belloq is of no further use to them, so they shoot him in the head. Then they turn around and discover OH NO! Indy and Marion have escaped! Then you could have a kickass action sequence of Indy and Marion running around the canyon guerilla-style and killing all the Nazis, and then have them take the Ark home.

But no, instead we get a cheesy looking special effects montage of some magic jesus ghosts or some shit that decide to kill all the Nazis for some reason, and then the lid of the Ark just HAPPENS to fall perfectly back on it FROM HUNDREDS OF FEET IN THE AIR. I was digging the film up until that point but that was just TOO MUCH. The Ark never should have been opened, it should have been left a mystery.

And that's not to mention the generally shitty effects throughout. Some of the compositing, like when Indy and Sallah are digging at night to get to the Well of Souls?

Overall I give it a 3/5; some good stuff in there but too many unbelievable parts culminating in an unbelievable ending and some cheesy effects keep it from being really great. I only hope if they make a sequel they try a little harder to ground it more in reality.

And "Look at wiki" Should NEVER be a source. You know how many times I changed and fucked around with that one dude's archie wiki post in otter?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-27-08 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Most Scientists and Historians don't believe in God. Does that make The Holy Grail and the Ark any less of worth or unbelievable in the original trilogy?

Simply put by indy in the film. "Depends on which god you believe" First film was Hebrew following, second was indian based and third was christrian, fourth was a mix of mayan. Odd how the two that aren't as mainstream are the least favorites of the series. Kate Capshaw aside.

It was pure 50's pulp. I can imagine if Raiders came out when the internet was around, it'll sound something like this..

And "Look at wiki" Should NEVER be a source. You know how many times I changed and fucked around with that one dude's archie wiki post in otter?
So you know what most scientists and historians believe? Wow, impressive. I'll give you the scientific community on the whole tends to side with something other than the idea of God and intelligent design. But if you are going to start comparing the belief of aliens vs. the belief of religion/god you have already lost the argument.

For the record, I do believe aliens exist, but would've have preferred the Indy movie to stay more along the lines of spirituality and supernatural rather than being a retarded ET movie.

As for "look at Wiki" I was only using that as a point of reference to find out who the "creator" of this ridiculous Chariots of the Gods idea came from. Obviously, it's far from the gospel on the subject, but do you really want me to start researching the concept? Really? You know the concept is laughable, at best, so I'm not sure why you'd put any stock in it. Hell if archeologists are debunking alot of stuff involving religion you sure as hell are going to believe they are going to debunk the crap that guy is passing off as fact.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-27-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught this over the weekend, and although I can't say I disliked the film, it certainly didn't blow me away. My main issues were with the screenplay, namely: a lack of humor and sharp one-liners, ludicrously over the top action sequences, and underdeveloped and/or poorly written characters (Blanchett's, Winstone's and Hurt's in particular).
The action sequences were well done, but failed to generate any real energy for me. I was worried that the same self-referential bug that killed Rambo and Die Hard 4 would hurt this film, but that was not the case here (the Sean Connery frame grab aside). I know there are some who have a problem with the sci-fi element being brought into the story -but, after all, it is set in the 50"s, and I liked how it wrapped up the whole Spielberg/Lucas affiliation nicely; it's no less believable than any of the religious hoo-haa in the previous Indy films. I'm trying real hard to like Shia Lebouf, but he just won't let me. I'll have a tough time following him on any adventures.
Old 05-27-08, 07:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I don't know - Indy standing in front of a giant mushroom cloud is pretty iconic and memorable if you ask me.
Maybe if it hadn't been proceeded with the ridiculous refrigerator sequence, or somehow been relevant to the overall story.
Old 05-27-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably the two most popular Indy films (Raiders and Crusade) actually developed the McGuffin a lot. I mean the classic speech by Brody and Indy before he leaves about "this is something different" as well as Sallah's warnings..and Belloq's two eloquent discussion about it (in the cafe and then in the ravine when Indy was going to blow it up) almost make the Ark a living character in my book. Belloq's speeches - personally I think are some of the finest writing in a pulpy film ever.

To a lesser extent, the Grail, through the doggone determination of Connery became important in itself.
Hell even the exposition sequence about the Ark was really mysterious and kinda neat and it had Porkins in it!

So in this movie, people are constantly scratching their heads about what this alien head could do or why it is important. And at the end, there is no explanation of what the hell it was doing. Doom had similar problems, which is why some people don't like the story - it was just a rock that lit up and may or may not had magic powers. I like Doom for the pure fun and depravity of it, but Kingdom definitely has something missing.

And seeing the Ark in the crate, was somewhat disappointing.
Old 05-27-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So you know what most scientists and historians believe? Wow, impressive. I'll give you the scientific community on the whole tends to side with something other than the idea of God and intelligent design. But if you are going to start comparing the belief of aliens vs. the belief of religion/god you have already lost the argument.
Again, as Indy said.. "Depends on who you call God"

So we are to believe that mystical rocks that glow can bring life to dead crops and heal and burn hands... not to mention rip out hearts like a butter knife but aliens in the context of being the whole chariots of the god (while I don't subscribe to such belief) can't be believable?

Alien or not, It's still some religion to some culture. True or not we can't tell other than the drawings of some culture that disappeared . Especially when that culture disappeared leaving structures that they shouldn't have been able to build. Much like the pyramid.

Oh why not jump on the wiki wagon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines

While it may not be based on some mainstream religion, would you rather they did it on heavens gate religion?

Maybe if it hadn't been proceeded with the ridiculous refrigerator sequence, or somehow been relevant to the overall story.
But it was. It was to show that Indy's in the nuclear scare age. Yes, some year stamp may have put that across, but the nuke created a visual that was pretty memorable. Though I guess I can't say the flying 50 miles and walking away was to realistic, it wasn't worse than any other Indy situation that he shouldn't have survived. There's no other real way I could figure they could get Indy from in the middle of a nuke testing site when the sirens go off to a safe zone.
Old 05-27-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chanster
Probably the two most popular Indy films (Raiders and Crusade) actually developed the McGuffin a lot. I mean the classic speech by Brody and Indy before he leaves about "this is something different" as well as Sallah's warnings..and Belloq's two eloquent discussion about it (in the cafe and then in the ravine when Indy was going to blow it up) almost make the Ark a living character in my book. Belloq's speeches - personally I think are some of the finest writing in a pulpy film ever.

To a lesser extent, the Grail, through the doggone determination of Connery became important in itself.
Hell even the exposition sequence about the Ark was really mysterious and kinda neat and it had Porkins in it!

So in this movie, people are constantly scratching their heads about what this alien head could do or why it is important. And at the end, there is no explanation of what the hell it was doing. Doom had similar problems, which is why some people don't like the story - it was just a rock that lit up and may or may not had magic powers. I like Doom for the pure fun and depravity of it, but Kingdom definitely has something missing.

And seeing the Ark in the crate, was somewhat disappointing.
That's a good point, and with the Ark and the Grail, and to a lesser extent even the stones, we actually see Jones being an archaeologist. For instance, I absolutely ate up when Jones explains to the government fellows in Raiders what the Ark was and how it worked. Same with his conversation with Donovan near the beginning of Crusade. The history behind them both make it feel real, and Skull seemed to lack that. Especially since we see Indy reach his destination through actual discovery, such as the head piece and staff in Raiders, or finding the markers in Crusade. Doom was weak in this regard, but even then we had some good explanation of the stones and I liked his discovery of the secret passages inside the temple.

I'll definitely need to watch Skull again and will when it comes out on DVD, but remembering back it felt these bits were missing. The skull was pretty much a mystery to everyone, including Indy. All we got was the letter from Mutt/Marion, which was pretty weak, as well as the prison cell.

As a side note, I really dug the way the time period was portrayed. I thought a good job was done with that, and the Russians were a great foil for Indy and glad we moved on from Nazi's.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-27-08 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But it was. It was to show that Indy's in the nuclear scare age. Yes, some year stamp may have put that across, but the nuke created a visual that was pretty memorable. Though I guess I can't say the flying 50 miles and walking away was to realistic, it wasn't worse than any other Indy situation that he shouldn't have survived. There's no other real way I could figure they could get Indy from in the middle of a nuke testing site when the sirens go off to a safe zone.
I think they tried too hard to make an image we didn't need. The 50's was personified from the start with the Elvis music blaring as kids were trying to drag race the Army dudes. Not to mention the soda shop and the greaser fight later on. Hell, Mutt is pretty much a walking sign of the 50's the entire movie, especially with the pocket comb bits.

I think the scene could have just ended with Indy getting away from the Hanger and I would have been happy.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-27-08 at 08:10 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.