Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Movie: The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which film is better?
The Lost World
54.14%
Jurassic Park 3
45.86%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Better Movie: The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The "Lost World" novel was a hastily-written cash grab. Not worth reading, and certainly not worth using as a barometer for the film version's quality.
Old 05-20-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Well to be fair, in the original JP Malcolm did say he was always on the lookout for a new "ex Mrs. Malcolm" so it isn't completely out of character to assume he has children from previous marriages and has a new girl...
Oh, yeah, I forgot that line. But yeah, bringing in both at the same time was too much.
Old 05-21-08, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG
This is very true. That was almost intolerably stupid and I believe I choose to forget about her until reminded.
Whenever I try to defend Lost World at all it's hard to ignore that. It makes me cringe thinking about it.
Old 05-21-08, 04:43 PM
Suspended

this is like arguing about whether Jaws 2 or Jaws 3 is better. But to be fair I like the one where they were at the Sea World place. I mean a shark taking down a helicopter. Really? Even those leaping Great Whites off the coast of Australia and South Africa still wouldn't be able to take down a chopper.

The only reason I would say JP2 is because the scene where the T-Rex's push the trailer over the cliff is intense. I don't really remember much about the plot after that.
Old 05-21-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly HATED The Lost World, which was surprising since I was only 14 at the time and I was looking forward to that film so much at the time it came out. I sat in the theater in disbelief at how much I disliked the film. Jurassic Park 3 was nowhere near as good as part 1, but I thought it was a lot better than part 2.
Old 05-21-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
I'm surprised at all the love for III.
Old 05-23-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
They go to this island that is supposed to be some death trap but apparently a child, yes a child, can survive on the island for days (maybe weeks, I don't remember).
Reading this line right here made me think that "3" is some really weak movie that ripped off some ideas from "Aliens".

I will agree with other that the "Dino in San Diego" sequence was the stuff that the dino crazed kid in me dreamed of.
Old 05-24-08, 01:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,204 Likes on 853 Posts
I hated 'Lost World' so much.
With JP3, I wasn't expecting much and found that I was quite entertained throughout the entire film. Unrelated, but the DVD Commentary is priceless, too.

I own Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 on DVD. I have vowed to NEVER purchase Lost World (I'm not lying when I say I hate it...). Even if all three get re-released on Blu-ray, I'd rather buy the first and third than buy a box set with all three.
Old 05-24-08, 05:53 PM

I hated jurassic 3. especially now since the T-Rex has been proven to have not been a scavenger as jack horner perceived. T-Rex would rip the spino a new one.
Old 05-24-08, 06:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The "Lost World" novel was a hastily-written cash grab. Not worth reading, and certainly not worth using as a barometer for the film version's quality.
Funny enough, the movie feels like a cash grab as well, so perhaps the novel is a good barometer for the movie's quality.
Old 05-25-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Two words that made the book intolaerable ...
Spoiler:
invisible dinosaurs
. 'nuff said on that subject.

The movie actually wasn't that bad -- until they go back to the mainland. I'm still trying to figure out why "65 million years of instinct" would lead the T-rex to leave the oceanfront and search out a chlorinated pool to drink out of.
Old 05-25-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Spoiler:
invisible dinosaurs

The movie actually wasn't that bad -- until they go back to the mainland. I'm still trying to figure out why "65 million years of instinct" would lead the T-rex to leave the oceanfront and search out a chlorinated pool to drink out of.
Not sure, but maybe fresh vs salt water?

I liked JP3 for being a simple dino adventure that wouldn't work outside of the JP world. Having a background and an important original character helps the plot along.

I dislike Lost World because of all the things it could have been, but failed on; a total peaks and valleys type of experience. The awesome Raptor Nest scene is killed by a gymnastic teen swinging about.
Old 05-25-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Spoiler:
invisible dinosaurs
It's been a while since I read it but they weren't invisible, per se but had some DNA strands from chameleons that allowed them to blend in with the environment. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 05-25-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts
It's been awhile since I've read it too, but I thought they had adapted a "Predator-like" ability to actually shift light around them. Somebody will set us straight!
Old 05-25-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,042 Likes on 639 Posts
I remember it the same as Michael Corvin--they could camoflage themselves like chameleons, not some kind of 'cloaking' device.
Old 05-26-08, 12:20 PM

Neither film is very good, but I'll give a slight edge to JP3 because it included water and air dinosaurs to give us something new. I always liked those kinds of dinosaurs more. The Lost World felt more like the same old thing.
Old 05-26-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,074 Posts
I'm on the JP3 bandwagon too. When someone says "The Lost World", the only thing I remember is the gymnastic girl. Which is very sad.

JP3 was a much better example of a "monster movie". And Dr. Grant is a much better character to lead a Jurassic Park movie - Malcolm should have stayed comic relief.
Old 05-26-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think of that gymnastic girl and remember that she was two characters (from the book) combined into one.
Old 06-11-08, 06:16 AM

I have read every Michael Crichton book and I've always wondered what happened to Andromeda Strain. It was my favorite of his books but they never made a movie for it. I ran into this on IGN and I surprised it was never released

http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/142/14247549/vids_1.html
Old 06-11-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jeditalk
I have read every Michael Crichton book and I've always wondered what happened to Andromeda Strain. It was my favorite of his books but they never made a movie for it. I ran into this on IGN and I surprised it was never released

http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/142/14247549/vids_1.html
There was just a mini-series on TV. Coincidentally it just came out on DVD a week or so back.
Old 06-11-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,042 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by jeditalk
I have read every Michael Crichton book and I've always wondered what happened to Andromeda Strain. It was my favorite of his books but they never made a movie for it.
Maybe you were joking, but there was a movie--pretty well known actually--released in 1971. I've seen it a few times on television.

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Oh, and the new miniseries just aired in the last couple of weeks.
Old 06-11-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is basically asking which is better:

A movie that aspires to be a good movie and be dramatic, exciting, and heartwarming, but fails...

...or a movie that admits it's a bad movie and tries to be nothing more than a cheesy monster flick, and succeeds.

so what's better: a movie that tried to be good, and failed, or a movie that tried to be bad and succeeded? which son is better: the one who promised to mow the lawn and didn't, or the one who refused but ended up doing it?
Old 06-11-08, 01:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Another vote for JP3. Lost World was overlong and the kiddie and PC factor was on overdrive in that one. About the only things I remember from it was the good hanging trailer scene and, as Michael mentioned, the gymanst thing which was just annoying as hell to me. I don't remember too much from JP3 either, but it was fast paced and had more dinos than annoying characters, which I liked. Neither comes close to the original.
I agree, that was the first came my mind regarding Lost World - every scene seemed to supercede each other, it just went on and on and on.... ugh
Old 06-11-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They were both bad, but at least JP3 was shorter and kept me somewhat entertained.
Old 06-11-08, 01:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
They were both bad, but at least JP3 was shorter and kept me somewhat entertained.
as well as a good looking actor:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.