Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Movie: The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which film is better?
The Lost World
54.14%
Jurassic Park 3
45.86%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Better Movie: The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 179 Posts
JP2 felt like a theatrical movie

JP3 felt like a made for TV job
Old 05-19-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost World has its problems...it drags, I didn't find the protagnists particularly likable, unnecessary children...

But, compared to JP3, it's masterpiece theater. JP3 felt like bad B movie filmmaking. Lost World felt like something was missing, but it still felt like a complete film.
Old 05-19-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who thought the dino-runs-loose-in-san diego climax in Lost World was awesome? That is actually my favorite part of any JP flick, including the first. People on here seem to hate it. Also, the gymnast scene did not ruin the movie by any means. Yes, it was corny but come on it was like a 1 minute scene from a 2 hour + movie.
Old 05-19-08, 08:48 PM
Banned

^ I liked the San Diego scene as well. Yes the gymnast daughter was kinda silly when she did that shit with the bars and kicked the raptors in the face but the part right before that happens when the raptor tries to bite his way under the door or wall or whatever scared the shit out of me when I was in theaters. I still don't think Ive jumped that high outta my seat since.

My rankings:
1. Jurassic Park (although I fell it ends 20 minutes too soon)
2. JP: The Lost WOrld
3. Godzilla '98
4. Carnosaur 2
5. JP III
6. CLoverfield
7. Carnosaur
Old 05-19-08, 09:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
JPIII isn't the pinnacle of filmmaking, but for sheer entertainment value I'd take it over The Lost World any day. The Lost World suffered from feeling like a bad retread of the first, only without having characters that we actually cared about. The gymnast girl thing had me shaking my head in disappointment when I first saw it, and it still make me cringe thinking about it. The T-Rex attack on the trailer was nowhere near as startling or kinetic as the T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park. The T-Rex in San Diego was kind of cool, but by that point I had lost all interest in the flick.
Old 05-19-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JP3. I literaly finished the Lost World novel waiting in line for the movie. What a disappointment. I loved the survival movie feel of JP3. The pteradactyl reveal was fightening (walking onthe bridge). I like Sam Neil, too.
Old 05-19-08, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
JPIII isn't the pinnacle of filmmaking, but for sheer entertainment value I'd take it over The Lost World any day. The Lost World suffered from feeling like a bad retread of the first, only without having characters that we actually cared about. The gymnast girl thing had me shaking my head in disappointment when I first saw it, and it still make me cringe thinking about it. The T-Rex attack on the trailer was nowhere near as startling or kinetic as the T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park. The T-Rex in San Diego was kind of cool, but by that point I had lost all interest in the flick.
I would actually argue that JP III feels like a bad retread of Lost World only lacking characters that I cared about in Lost WOrld
Old 05-19-08, 09:19 PM
Banned by request

You cared about those characters in the Lost World? God, I couldn't wait for them to bite it. Sam Neill wins over Jeff Goldblum in my book any day.
Old 05-19-08, 09:24 PM
Banned

Well yeah but Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughn are much more likable characters than Tea Leoni and Willaim H Macy.
Old 05-19-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could point out that the gymnast chick ruined Lost World. But Tea Leoni, William H Macy and the kid ruin JP3. They go to this island that is supposed to be some death trap but apparently a child, yes a child, can survive on the island for days (maybe weeks, I don't remember).

A bad Spielberg movie is still better than any Joe Johnston movie. I recently read an interview with Laura Dern that said Jurassic Park 4 is happening and with her and that Spielberg is putting all his attention to it after all the Indy stuff is done. Which is awesome.
Old 05-19-08, 10:15 PM
Banned by request

Really? Uch. Indy is one thing, as all the films in the series were good, but I'd like to see Spielberg continue the trend he started with Minority Report.
Old 05-19-08, 10:20 PM
Banned

^Now that is something we can agree on. Definitely not looking forward to Tintin and am not very optimistic about JP IV.
Old 05-19-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
]
My rankings:
1. Jurassic Park (although I fell it ends 20 minutes too soon)
2. JP: The Lost WOrld
3. Godzilla '98
4. Carnosaur 2
5. JP III
6. CLoverfield
7. Carnosaur
I've seen some pretty bad lists complied on this message board, but this has to take the cake. Really?

I'm in the minority for Jurassic Park III being a superior film to The Lost World.

Jurassic Park III accomplishes a lot more in it's quick 90-minute run-time than The Lost World was able to do in two plus hours. Granted, the film rushes towards it's finale and the set pieces might not be on such a large scale, but it's more entertaining and fulfilling.

And Tin Tin is going to kick ass. Spielberg and Jackson working on scripts from fucking Steven Moffat? STEVEN FUCKING MOFFAT?!?! HELL THE FUCK YES.
Old 05-20-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I would actually argue that JP III feels like a bad retread of Lost World only lacking characters that I cared about in Lost WOrld
Hmmm... a corporation trying to create a dinosaur theme park in San Diego vs. a couple looking for their lost kid on an island. I can see how III is a retread of II.
Old 05-20-08, 02:07 AM

Lost World blew.
Utterly terrible and atrocious and soul destroying and stupid. The kind of crap Ed Wood could spend $50 to make. Of course, Spielberg spent much more...
JP3 is bad, but not nearly as much a waste of time as Lost World.
Old 05-20-08, 04:15 AM

JP3 is so so bad. Cannot stand Tea Leoni and Macy in this (two actors i usually like). The kid is awful in this too.

Only redeeming factor is Neil being back, but thats it.

Lost World by a long shot.

-NiCK
Old 05-20-08, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I love Lost World. The whole setpiece with the T-Rexes knocking the trailer over the edge of the cliff was great. Never understood the low ratings for this one.
I feel the same way. I didn't like the first two.
Old 05-20-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts
JP3. Found it more watcheable and enjoyable. Never really got into The Lost World.
Old 05-20-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I love Lost World. The whole setpiece with the T-Rexes knocking the trailer over the edge of the cliff was great. Never understood the low ratings for this one.
If you had read the book first, you would have hated the movie.

That trailer over the cliff scene was the only scene that was really true to the novel.
Old 05-20-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
JP3. It's highly entertaining, has a cool new dino and was a lot of fun. I really liked LW, but Jeff Goldblum's acrobatic daughter ruined that film for me. Her high-flying uneven bar routine against the Velociraptors casued that film to jump the shark.
Old 05-20-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

That trailer over the cliff scene was the only scene that was really true to the novel.
I thought the novel was a fairly weak retread of the first, so I was glad they changed a lot for the movie.
Old 05-20-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Both were terrible, IMO.

I didn't realize Spielberg directed JP2. JP3 was directed by Joe Johnston.

I think JP3 is watchable only because of Sam Neil.

Malcolm really didn't seem like the dating type but in this movie he suddenly has a daughter from a failed marriage and a girlfriend. Just too much. I did love that part in JP2 where the lady screams then we see Malcolm.
Old 05-20-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker

That's because the movie was developed independently of the book. Crichton hadn't even finished writing the book when filming began. When he was done with the novel Spielberg pulled the trailer scene out to use in the film.
Old 05-20-08, 12:36 PM

the Spinosaurous was terribly lame if you ask me.

-NiCK
Old 05-20-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,322 Likes on 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Malcolm really didn't seem like the dating type but in this movie he suddenly has a daughter from a failed marriage and a girlfriend. Just too much. I did love that part in JP2 where the lady screams then we see Malcolm.
Well to be fair, in the original JP Malcolm did say he was always on the lookout for a new "ex Mrs. Malcolm" so it isn't completely out of character to assume he has children from previous marriages and has a new girl...

Although, I do wonder why they brought him back for the LW. He was a mathematician for crying out loud. Doesn't seem very useful in the context of the second film (I'm sure I'm missing an important detail in why they brought Malcolm back though) Dr. Grant or Ellie would have been a more sensible choice to bring back to the island in part 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.