Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-08, 11:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I was thinking of putting this together for all the questions you've had about the saga that is "Star Wars". All 6 movies, things that you've wondered about and never really asked or asked and never got the answers.

Perhaps we ask and people can answer and so on...

My question:
In "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope", after they blow up the Death Star and Luke is back at the hangar getting the congrats, R2-D2 is lowered from the X-Wing, all broken and what not. C-3PO is all worried about R2 and says if any of his parts can fix... Luke says to 3PO, "he'll be alright".

So, why is it assumed or why does Luke think R2-D2 is male? Is it just because Kenny Baker plays him or is there actually something somewhere in the movie or talked about by Lucas sometime? I just always thought it curious.

So what are your questions...
Old 04-12-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
I was thinking of putting this together for all the questions you've had about the saga that is "Star Wars". All 6 movies, things that you've wondered about and never really asked or asked and never got the answers.

My question:
In "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope", after they blow up the Death Star and Luke is back at the hangar getting the congrats, R2-D2 is lowered from the X-Wing, all broken and what not. C-3PO is all worried about R2 and says if any of his parts can fix... Luke says to 3PO, "he'll be alright".

So, why is it assumed or why does Luke think R2-D2 is male? Is it just because Kenny Baker plays him or is there actually something somewhere in the movie or talked about by Lucas sometime? I just always thought it curious.

Well, he sounds like a dude, and he doesn't have boobs...

Let's see, question...hmm...so...what's the deal with the cave on Dagobah?
Old 04-13-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, why is it assumed or why does Luke think R2-D2 is male?
That thing R2 used to deactivate the trash compactor? Robot penis.
Old 04-13-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How come we never get to see Dantooine?
Old 04-13-08, 01:25 AM

Did the TIE fighter pilot crash into Vader's ship on purpose?
Old 04-13-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How could Anakin forget that he built C3PO?

How could Luke Skywalker do a french kiss with his own sister? Where was "The Force" in all this?
Old 04-13-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
How come we never get to see Dantooine?
It was too remote for an effective exposition.
Old 04-13-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question:

And you didn't wonder why Han assumed the Falcon was a female?

And Luke thinks R2 is a male because he doesn't want to have sex with R2. Duh.

And the way the Falcon malfunctioned all the time, I bet Han felt the ship screwed him over more than a few times, thus it became a "she."
Old 04-13-08, 02:45 AM

In Star Wars: A New Hope, during the Pre-Death Star attack briefing, you get the idea that the only beings who make up the Rebellion are Caucasian, vaguely English humans. No other ethnicities, and not a single "alien," which I find weird since one of the chief beefs against the Empire is supposed to be their treating non-humans as second class citizens or slaves.

So my question is, where were the non-human rebels and non-Caucasian human rebels?

I was hoping that when Lucas did the whole Special Edition thing, he would've put in some aliens, maybe a little affirmative action, human-wise... but no. Heck, they didn't even fix the faulty Death Star wire frame graphic where the superlaser concave is centered on the equator rather than its "northern hemisphere" position. Dear lord, that was really geeky of me to say. So be it.

Lucas could've done a LOT more positive things than dewbacks and the like with the power of the digital medium, but he didn't. He could've added Adm. Ackbar on Yavin, maybe Mon Mothma as a throwaway nod to the fans, edited the Biggs conversation back in, heck, maybe add a brief moment with the Emperor, seeing as how omnipresent he was in the prequels.

Another thing about 'A New Hope' or space travel in general: Why, until the final battle, was space treated like an ocean's surface, with the Falcon and Star Destroyers and the Corvette all traveling along the same plane of direction? No real maneuvers or sense that they had all that three-dimensional space or take advantage of. Heck, I think Family Guy spoofed that in their Star Wars special.

Last edited by hitmanjules; 04-13-08 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add another question. Again.
Old 04-13-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why do they use cough drops for imperial rank insignia?
Old 04-13-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Empire was on Spike last night, and for whatever reason i thought "Why does Luke go running out of the ice cave, after killing the Wampa." Maybe he was in a panic, but running right out into a storm while injured wasn't wise. hang out in the cave, and try to get a call out.
Old 04-13-08, 12:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
Did the TIE fighter pilot crash into Vader's ship on purpose?
nahh, the pilot freaked out, broke formation, and crashed into Vader.

/nerd
Old 04-13-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stingermck
Empire was on Spike last night, and for whatever reason i thought "Why does Luke go running out of the ice cave, after killing the Wampa." Maybe he was in a panic, but running right out into a storm while injured wasn't wise. hang out in the cave, and try to get a call out.
He only cut off its arm, he didn't kill it outright. I would run from a pissed off, one armed wampa too.
Old 04-13-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And you didn't wonder why Han assumed the Falcon was a female?
Traditionally in English, boats and seafaring vessels have been treated with female pronouns. The Falcon isn't really a conscious entity it's a mode of transportation pretty close to a boat.

R2-D2 is an autonomous entity and for whatever reason seems to be male, so he gets male pronouns.
Old 04-13-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
He only cut off its arm, he didn't kill it outright. I would run from a pissed off, one armed wampa too.
True but another slice couldve killed it. I know, Luke wasnt Return of the Jedi bad ass yet
Old 04-13-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
In "Return of the Jedi" how could Leia have a memory of her "real" mother?
Old 04-13-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
In "Return of the Jedi" how could Leia have a memory of her "real" mother?
I always assumed that was through The Force. Though why Luke wouldnt, im not sure. Maybe a female bond?
Old 04-13-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
After reading the insert to The Hidden Fortress and seeing that the term "jidai" suggests knight-like chivalry,exotic adventure and historical myths from many ages, I wonder if that is where George Lucas got the name Jedi from?
Old 04-13-08, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
In Star Wars: A New Hope, during the Pre-Death Star attack briefing, you get the idea that the only beings who make up the Rebellion are Caucasian, vaguely English humans. No other ethnicities, and not a single "alien," which I find weird since one of the chief beefs against the Empire is supposed to be their treating non-humans as second class citizens or slaves.
Also during the briefing, all the pilot's flight helmets look showroom new; clean and shiny with uniform markings. Then as soon as everyone gets into their X & Y Wings, suddenly everyone has a dirty scuffed up helmet with individual markings and graphics.
Old 04-13-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
How come it took about 18 years to construct the first Death Star (after planning is already done), but the second, larger one is designed, built and made opperational in a matter of months, apparently?
Old 04-13-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
How come it took about 18 years to construct the first Death Star (after planning is already done), but the second, larger one is designed, built and made opperational in a matter of months, apparently?
The movie Clerks answered this: outside contractors.
Old 04-13-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
The movie Clerks answered this: outside contractors.
Or, they did what they did on Contact with the big space/time machine. Built two of them.
Old 04-13-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SFranke
That thing R2 used to deactivate the trash compactor? Robot penis.
Old 04-13-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Or, they did what they did on Contact with the big space/time machine. Built two of them.
That's what I figured. If you can afford one, why not build two?

I see no one has addressed the Dagobah cave. That's more or less the only thing that I still wonder about.
Old 04-13-08, 04:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, as far as the no aliens at Yavin part goes, that wasn't the whole rebellion. They were still a small group of fighters as well. It was blowing up the Death Star that moved other races and planets to side with the them. The mon Calamari (Ackbar's species) joined up after the death star was destroyed. You see their medical frigates and other ships at the end of Empire.

Next, "How could Anakin forget that he built C3PO?"
Why would Darth Vader, in a dark room filled with smoke, even recognize half a protocal droid on the back of a wookiee? No one mentioned 3PO's name directly in front of Vader and all protocal droids look alike.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.