Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 04:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What exactly is your concern with the cave? Whats your question I mean?

It was an area of teh planet filled with the dark side of the force. It feeds off negative emotions and manifests them into visions. Luke was cocky and thought he was ready to face anything. He bought in to the cave with him this attitude and his buried past.
Old 04-13-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
What did Jabba do with Leia? Awfully long tongue of his...
Old 04-13-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's what I figured. If you can afford one, why not build two?

I see no one has addressed the Dagobah cave. That's more or less the only thing that I still wonder about.
Only Jacob and maybe Ben knows about the true meaning of the Dagobah cave.
Old 04-13-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Leia knew there was a homing beacon on the Falcon in A New Hope, why'd they fly directly back to Yavin IV, leading the imperials directly to the base? Durrr....
Old 04-13-08, 06:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Han didn't believe her and wouldn't listen to her.
Old 04-13-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone seen the "face" of a Jawa?
Old 04-13-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Caught a few minutes of Jedi on Spike tonight and have a question to add to the discussion:

If Jabba the Hutt is so fragile that a 98 pound cokehead can strangle him to death in about 20 seconds, why didn't someone bump him off years ago?
Old 04-13-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Here's one that never got answered in the movies, but...

How come after The Phantom Menace, after young Anikin saves the day, helps free the people of Naboo, blows up the Droid ship, wins the podrace so the Jedi can make it to Coruscant, basically does EVERYTHING to help the Republic/Jedi/Good Guys.... how come afterwards, the wealthy Republic or Naboolians or whomever, how come hey couldn't reward him by going back to Tatooine and buying his mother's freedom?

Why does he have to flip out about it for 10 years, only to go back and find her tortured to death?

Makes no sense to me, but I never ate my own foot.
Old 04-13-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Here's a question: given that a ship cannot chase another ship in hyperspace (unless there's a tracking device involved), how did Darth Vader's Imperial Cruiser in "A New Hope" even find Princess Leia's ship to attack it in that great opening scene? And why didn't Leia's ship just jump to hyperspace to get away instead of getting captured? I mean, she could sneak back later to find Obi Wan instead of risking losing everything (particularly the plans to the Death Star, which should have been her primary mission to get that to the Rebel Base - finding Obi Wan could come later).

(And is an Imperial Cruiser exactly the same as a Star Destroyer?)
Old 04-13-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Caught a few minutes of Jedi on Spike tonight and have a question to add to the discussion:

If Jabba the Hutt is so fragile that a 98 pound cokehead can strangle him to death in about 20 seconds, why didn't someone bump him off years ago?

I'd say everyone who hung out with Jabba, liked him. Come on you can stay overnight at his place after partying, free food and music, go out on his yacht, perks baby!
Old 04-13-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Good protection. Didn't have that when everything was going crazy on the ship.
Old 04-13-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I'd say everyone who hung out with Jabba, liked him. Come on you can stay overnight at his place after partying, free food and music, go out on his yacht, perks baby!
There's there aspect of it, too.
Old 04-13-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think Jabba the Hutt was anybody really important. Basically, he was just some dude that liked to party.
Old 04-13-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Geddlo
What exactly is your concern with the cave? Whats your question I mean?

It was an area of teh planet filled with the dark side of the force. It feeds off negative emotions and manifests them into visions. Luke was cocky and thought he was ready to face anything. He bought in to the cave with him this attitude and his buried past.
but a physical manifestation? Seems kinda out there considering it never was brought up in any of the other films. If the dark side of the force was that powerful why bother building clones, why not just manifest an army from scratch? Why build a Death Star when you can just whip one up from your imagination?
Old 04-13-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shazam
I don't think Jabba the Hutt was anybody really important. Basically, he was just some dude that liked to party.
He was more than just some dude that liked to party. He ran a crime syndicate. An alien mob boss, crime lord. That's why he was always involved with the bounty hunters and smugglers. That's why he hired Boba Fett to bring Han in carbonite, because Han had to dump a load he was carrying for Jabba and never reimbursed him; after that he put a really large bounty on Han's head.
Old 04-13-08, 11:42 PM

The damned Death Star trench and "need" for line of sight targeting. You're telling me (need for dramatic license aside) in this galaxy far, far away, with the technology to build a Death Star, mystical energy fields that bind the universe, and the concept of hyperdrive mastered, they can't come up with a "smart" proton torpedo that could've been fired from a ways away and still find that thermal exhaust port?

How do the stormtroopers manage to meet basic marksmanship qualification to stay on active duty?

In the battle of Hoth, couldn't they have spared a few starfighters to take on the Imperial walkers? I'm sure they had more than enough firepower for the job. Imagine sending a Piper Cub with a machine gun and a tow cable up against a Metal Gear Ray when an A-10 would've been the wiser option.

What WAS it with Jabba's taste for humanoid females? I'm guessing he dipped his tail in some places?
Old 04-13-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
My question:
In "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope", after they blow up the Death Star and Luke is back at the hangar getting the congrats, R2-D2 is lowered from the X-Wing, all broken and what not. C-3PO is all worried about R2 and says if any of his parts can fix... Luke says to 3PO, "he'll be alright".

So, why is it assumed or why does Luke think R2-D2 is male?
The answer to this is pretty obvious. R2-D2 is C-3PO's longtime companion. And since C-3PO is "male", and obviously gay, it follows that R2-D2 must also be male.
Old 04-13-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the same reason a modern day mafia boss isn't bumped off.
Old 04-13-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is there a droid torture chamber in Jabba's palace? And why do droids even feel pain? And why would putting a hot poker to a droid's feet not only hurt, but make him squeal like a little kid getting a spanking?
Old 04-14-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The one question That I had after seeing the movies on spike is how much time has passed between ep 3 and 4. I mean Obi Wan was probably in his mid 30s in ep 3 and probably 60's in Ep 4. Luke was born at the end and looks in his early 20's maybe even teens in A new hope.

Did I miss something here?
Old 04-14-08, 01:03 AM

Dashed - the twin suns on Tatooine helped 'bake' Obi-Wan older than he was.

Numanoid - I don't know why droids would feel pain, but if 3PO can feel relief and worry and enjoy an oil bath, it's probable that he could also feel pain. i don't know HOW, but it's possible.
Old 04-14-08, 01:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Here's one that never got answered in the movies, but...

How come after The Phantom Menace, after young Anikin saves the day, helps free the people of Naboo, blows up the Droid ship, wins the podrace so the Jedi can make it to Coruscant, basically does EVERYTHING to help the Republic/Jedi/Good Guys.... how come afterwards, the wealthy Republic or Naboolians or whomever, how come hey couldn't reward him by going back to Tatooine and buying his mother's freedom?

Why does he have to flip out about it for 10 years, only to go back and find her tortured to death?

Makes no sense to me, but I never ate my own foot.
Because Lucas decided that would be Anakin's first step into the dark side.

The whole slave aspect was a throwaway plot, which I never liked. Lucas really needed someone to rewrite his scripts. He did a good job with Ep. III, but the first two were weak in comparison.
Old 04-14-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a Star Wars lover (having seen each original release in theaters) so I don't want to sound like a Lucas basher but:

Lucas was winging it. People who think he had all six movies planed out (or even outlined) when he wrote the first (or any of the OT) are deluding themselves. Most of the questions asked in this thread can be answered, or at least understood by keeping that in mind.

I, personally, am convinced that Lucas had no idea that Darth was Luke's father or Lea his sister when he first made Star Wars.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 04-14-08 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-14-08, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly how far did Luke and Leia go sexually speaking, before realizing that they were twins?

And was Luke really not upset that he was sent to live on a dirt farm in the middle of nowhere while his sister was raised a princess?
Old 04-14-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
The one question That I had after seeing the movies on spike is how much time has passed between ep 3 and 4. I mean Obi Wan was probably in his mid 30s in ep 3 and probably 60's in Ep 4. Luke was born at the end and looks in his early 20's maybe even teens in A new hope.

Did I miss something here?
It's supposed to be 20 yrs between trilogies. Obi-Wan's about 40 in Ep3, and 60 in 4... Luke would be about 20. As good as Ewan was, he was a bit young for the part...and Guinness a little old (he was 65 when filming I think). You'll just have to imagine that the yrs in the desert weren't kind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.