Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Exactly how far did Luke and Leia go sexually speaking, before realizing that they were twins?

And was Luke really not upset that he was sent to live on a dirt farm in the middle of nowhere while his sister was raised a princess?
George should have gone with this storyline. Maybe we would have gotten some Super-Jedi knight kid ar a two-headed Lord of the Sith. Sounds interesting
Old 04-14-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by hitmanjules
The damned Death Star trench and "need" for line of sight targeting. You're telling me (need for dramatic license aside) in this galaxy far, far away, with the technology to build a Death Star, mystical energy fields that bind the universe, and the concept of hyperdrive mastered, they can't come up with a "smart" proton torpedo that could've been fired from a ways away and still find that thermal exhaust port?
This is a rag-tag bunch of rebels with a cobbled together fleet that can't afford the latest technology. Not too hard to believe there.

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
In the battle of Hoth, couldn't they have spared a few starfighters to take on the Imperial walkers? I'm sure they had more than enough firepower for the job. Imagine sending a Piper Cub with a machine gun and a tow cable up against a Metal Gear Ray when an A-10 would've been the wiser option.
Would you have the space shuttle flying around the sky on recon missions on Earth? Starfighters are designed for space battle not atmospheric ones. At least that's my take on it.

Originally Posted by Artman
It's supposed to be 20 yrs between trilogies. Obi-Wan's about 40 in Ep3, and 60 in 4... Luke would be about 20. As good as Ewan was, he was a bit young for the part...and Guinness a little old (he was 65 when filming I think). You'll just have to imagine that the yrs in the desert weren't kind.
Yeah, I imagine Obi was 35 and 55 in Ep. 3 & 4 respectively. Ewan looks that age and you could take the "hard life" angle for Guiness looking older than 55 in Ep. 4.
Old 04-14-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Would you have the space shuttle flying around the sky on recon missions on Earth? Starfighters are designed for space battle not atmospheric ones. At least that's my take on it.

Well when Adama was trying to rescue everyone off of New Caprica, it was clear that the Vipers were actually very manueverable and quite effective in intra-atmospheric combat, so... oh sorry, I'm thinking of something else

EDIT: Something Better*

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 04-14-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-14-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly how far did Luke and Leia go sexually speaking, before realizing that they were twins?

And was Luke really not upset that he was sent to live on a dirt farm in the middle of nowhere while his sister was raised a princess?

They went all the way and in Episode 7, she has an inbred child with three ears.
Old 04-14-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
My biggest question from episode IV comes from the Death Star battle when Wedge says he's got a problem. Luke tells him he can leave because he can't do anymore good back there. Wedge says "Sorry" then flies off like a little punk.

Uh - excuse me? You can get your cowardly ass back down there in the trench and provide cover for poor Luke! Yeah you'll most likely be shot and killed, but you'll be sacrificing your life for the good of the Rebellion. How could Wege retreat like that with nearly everyone else killed in battle and only seconds left before the Death Star fires?
Old 04-14-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
How come it took about 18 years to construct the first Death Star (after planning is already done), but the second, larger one is designed, built and made opperational in a matter of months, apparently?
Who says they didn't start at the same time or at least overlap while the contractors were hired.?

First, the exterior crew builds the outiside of DS1
When done, the exterior crew begins DS2 while the interior designers wrap up DS1
DS1 blows up, but DS2 is already started
Old 04-14-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
My biggest question from episode IV comes from the Death Star battle when Wedge says he's got a problem. Luke tells him he can leave because he can't do anymore good back there. Wedge says "Sorry" then flies off like a little punk.

Uh - excuse me? You can get your cowardly ass back down there in the trench and provide cover for poor Luke! Yeah you'll most likely be shot and killed, but you'll be sacrificing your life for the good of the Rebellion. How could Wege retreat like that with nearly everyone else killed in battle and only seconds left before the Death Star fires?

Ah, but he made up for his cowardice in command of Rogue Squadron from Hoth on.

-Doc
Old 04-14-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
How could Luke Skywalker do a french kiss with his own sister? Where was "The Force" in all this?
Luke was raised on a farm, where they do more than just kiss their sisters so the Force didn't set off any alarm bells.

See above.

At first, but "Little Luke" made him forgive her.
Old 04-14-08, 11:58 AM

Why can R2 fly in 2-3 but not 4-6. Really bad decision to do that in the prequels.
Old 04-14-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by megashock5
Why can R2 fly in 2-3 but not 4-6. Really bad decision to do that in the prequels.
There were some incidents involving some flying R2 unit spying on a sorority house on Alderan, so they were banned.
Old 04-14-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
How come it took about 18 years to construct the first Death Star (after planning is already done), but the second, larger one is designed, built and made opperational in a matter of months, apparently?
Things are easier to do the second time around.
Old 04-14-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Technically speaking?

ATM.
Old 04-14-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously. Had Luke been shot then it all would've been for nothing. Wege's cover could have been very helpful.
Old 04-14-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is boba fett so popular?
Old 04-14-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706
why is boba fett so popular?
Because he is a bounty hunter. Everyone loves bounty hunters. And he is arguably the coolest looking character in the series.

Old 04-14-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason they put Solo in carbonite to see if he could survive it so Vader could put Luke in it for transport. Why did Vader want to put Luke in carbonite for transport? Was it just so he couldn't use the force to escape?

How could a AT-AT shoot thru the shields on Hoth to take out the shield generators but a Star Destroyer couldn't? They didn't have any shields around the shield generators? What kind of planning is that?
Old 04-14-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
Because he is a bounty hunter. Everyone loves bounty hunters.

Old 04-14-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
How come after the AT-AT shoots the power generator on Hoth, lights still work inside the Rebel base?
Old 04-14-08, 03:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

"Cover" doesn't mean being a target so Luke won't get blasted, but more like hanging back and blasting the bad guys going after Luke. All Wedge would've done was get Luke killed anyway. Han came out of nowhere partly saving the day, since he had weapons.

And remember, Luke wasn't the only one assigned to take out the Death Star. EVERYBODY was.
Old 04-14-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Technically speaking?

ATM.
Ah, I see. Thanks! I hadn't read the books that filled in the story so I had missed this part.

On a different subject, one thing that always bugged me about the series was that in each movie all sorts of new creatures are shown and all new fighters / ships are shown, but that by the next movie all of the previous ones are forgotten and a whole line of new creatures / ships come out.

I know that they were going from world to world, but the fighters at least should have stayed the same. Oh well, not a big deal.
Old 04-14-08, 03:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks! I hadn't read the books that filled in the story so I had missed this part.

On a different subject, one thing that always bugged me about the series was that in each movie all sorts of new creatures are shown and all new fighters / ships are shown, but that by the next movie all of the previous ones are forgotten and a whole line of new creatures / ships come out.

I know that they were going from world to world, but the fighters at least should have stayed the same. Oh well, not a big deal.
Because they're trying to get an edge against their enemy, i.e. faster fighters. Just a guess.
Old 04-14-08, 03:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
ok, i know this must have been discussed before, but why exactly did Lucas start at "Episode IV" and completely go against all conventional movie, possible sequel wisdom? i had thought that he never thought he would do a sequel because it was so hard for "Star Wars" to get off the ground.
Old 04-14-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
ok, i know this must have been discussed before, but why exactly did Lucas start at "Episode IV" and completely go against all conventional movie, possible sequel wisdom? i had thought that he never thought he would do a sequel because it was so hard for "Star Wars" to get off the ground.
Wasn't the "Episode IV" moniker not added until later releases of the film? When it was initially released it was just plain 'ol "Star Wars".
Old 04-14-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
The only reason they put Solo in carbonite to see if he could survive it so Vader could put Luke in it for transport. Why did Vader want to put Luke in carbonite for transport? Was it just so he couldn't use the force to escape?
Yes, even barely trained, Vader knew he would be a handful, esp against your run of the mill stormtrooper.

How could a AT-AT shoot thru the shields on Hoth to take out the shield generators but a Star Destroyer couldn't? They didn't have any shields around the shield generators? What kind of planning is that?
[/quote]

The shield is a big shield over a good chunk of the planet, (like the one covering Endor). An orbital bombardment would have been deflected, so they landed the ground troops outside the shield and came in that way. (Probably similar to the shield the Gungans had in TPM, it deflected the blaster cannons, but the battle droids could slowly walk through it).
There wasn't a shield around the generators themselves because they figured the bigger shield would hold off anything long enough to make a difference.
Old 04-14-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Two theories: Lucas was obviously inspired by the old Flash Gordon serials, and kinda wanted to get that "in media res" feeling by dropping you right in the middle of the action.

The other story is that he originally had nine episodes planned, but knew it would take a miracle to finance them all. He knew the "middle" trilogy was the most action packed, so it would probably sell the best, and that the first trilogy wouldn't go over as well since it had a lot of politics and such.

This second theory does seem plausible, considering the political machinations we saw in the prequels, and they were a frequent target of the critics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.