Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who liked the Star Wars prequels?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phantom Menace was meh...but I loved Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith. Am I the only one alive? I feel that way sometimes.
Old 02-14-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Am I the only one alive?
yes...

yes you are...
Old 02-14-08, 02:49 PM
Cool New Member

No there are plenty of us.

star wars, stargate and most other star things.

at gateworld forum our empire exists I mean full of us from all backgrounds.

Last edited by arga; 02-18-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked Episode II quite a bit in spite of its numerous shortcomings. But I thought ROTS was a piece of crap so that kinda undermines anything good in the previous film.

TPM is pretty much a disaster from beginning to end. The podrace is great demo material, but otherwise the movie sucked. And it gets worse everytime I see(and especially hear) any of it.
Old 02-14-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The best way to put it is that with the PT, I enjoyed SOME parts, but with the OT, I enjoyed EVERY part.
Old 02-14-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
episode one was preety bad except for the pod race and the end lightsaber battle. Two was good except for the romance scenes. Episode three was the best of the prequels.
Old 02-14-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How old are you OP?
Old 02-14-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 38, grew up with the OT and loved all things SW growing up. TPM was ok, AOTC was better, ROTS was the best of the prequels. I have never felt Lucas raped my childhood or that these were bad films. Not as good as the OT, but that was another time and I was younger then.
I think if Lucas had help writing the prequels (dialogue, etc.) these could have been much better films, but overall I enjoyed them.
Old 02-14-08, 03:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree, George really needed a screenwriter. He's not the best at humor.

I enjoy the new trilogy quite a lot, actually. What's missing is great character dynamic. There just wasn't that in the new trilogy. It all came together in "Revenge," but there should've been more interesting stuff going on in "Phantom" and "Attack." That trade federation/senate room stuff was kinda dumb.
Old 02-14-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I actually liked Episode One the best, despite the fact it had the most obvious flaws as well (Jar-Jar, Jake Lloyd).

Overall, I don't have a problem with the trilogy, it's more a victim of enormous expectations than being terrible movies.
Old 02-14-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the biggest mistake of the prequels was having an entire movie with Anakin as a little kid. If they had started Episode I in the timeline where Episode II started instead, and had Episode II be the transition of Anakin to the darkside, I believe it would have been a much better series. In summary, Jake Lloyd deserves to die, and I hope he burns in Hell.
Old 02-14-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the best part of the OT was the whole Jedi mythos. Guys with laser swords and magic kicking ass. The PT was all kinds of filled with this and thus, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Plus, the environments are awesome.. that storm planet in Episode II was cool as hell.
Old 02-14-08, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Episode 1:
Pros: Pod-race; lightsaber battle;
Cons: Jar-Jar; Watto, other annoying CG; Lucas' main reason for doing the prequels in the first place: "I have to show Hollywood that movies can be made without real actors"; the fact that this prequel only marginally propelled the overall star wars plot arc; attempting to explain things better left a mystery (midichlorians anyone?)
Old 02-14-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm 22 and the first Star Wars I ever saw was the "Special Editions". So I never cared if Greedo shot first, but I understand the issue everyone else had. The prequels were the first time I experienced a new Star Wars movie.

I enjoyed the prequels enough but they could have been much better. I agree with Chase3001, they could have done the timeline better. TPM was ok, AOTC was better and ROTS was the best in the series. My biggest problem with ROTS is that the story of Anakin's turn to the dark side and the holocaust of the Jedi is incredible. If done properly it could have been the best of the series, if not one of the best movies ever. Personally, I thought the acting, writing and overall storytelling were very poor. Yet, the movie still managed to be emotional. If they had been able to fix the problems with the movie it could have been amazing.
Old 02-14-08, 03:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think that some people would have really enjoyed the prequels, no matter what the plot or how they were made. After 16 years of waiting, I think that some people had built up in their minds exactly what they wanted the prequels to be, and were dissapointed by how the story turned out. I for one, would never have guessed the origin of The Clone Wars(The Clones fighting for the Republic- I always thought that they would be the adversaries of the Jedi's the whole time). If I were a kid from 1999-2005, like I was when the OT was released, I probably would have enjoyed the prequels the same as I enjoyed the OT growing up, and I think some forget that they were kids themselves when they saw the OT, and not adults.
Old 02-14-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
The prequels have have gotten more play out of me than ROTJ at least.
Old 02-14-08, 04:03 PM

The New Trilogy went into way too much detail concerning The Old Republic, Jedi Council, etc. Meetings are boring except if shit is going down, i.e. the Death Star attack in "Star Wars," the other Death Star attack in "Return." Lucas didn't dwell on it much in "Revenge," and I think that's why it worked better than the first two. More action, less talking.
Old 02-14-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TPM is the only one I really don't care for, and I like ROTS better than Return of the Jedi.
Old 02-14-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
The New Trilogy went into way too much detail concerning The Old Republic, Jedi Council, etc. Meetings are boring except if shit is going down, i.e. the Death Star attack in "Star Wars," the other Death Star attack in "Return." Lucas didn't dwell on it much in "Revenge," and I think that's why it worked better than the first two. More action, less talking.
Well, it was "Before the dark times. Before The Empire..."
Old 02-14-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
The best way to put it is that with the PT, I enjoyed SOME parts, but with the OT, I enjoyed EVERY part.
Was trying to figure out how to say what you just did. I agree completely with this post.
Old 02-14-08, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Well, it was "Before the dark times. Before The Empire..."
That doesn't mean we have to watch politicians/jedi be mainly boring characters, now does it?
Old 02-14-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorta with you. I thought TPM was mostly crap, but there are some great sequences in there. Duel of the Fates comes to mind. I'm not really a big fan of the podrace scene. AOTC I liked. Sure, it's got some crap in there but for the most part I found it to be entertaining. Yoda's fight scene at the end kicked ass. Seriously, how long did we wait to see that? ROTS I really dug. There are definitely some cringe-worthy moments of "acting", but it's mainly a dark film with great battles. The prequels will never be considered as good as or better than the OT, but they at least got better with each installment.
Old 02-14-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
I think the biggest mistake of the prequels was having an entire movie with Anakin as a little kid. If they had started Episode I in the timeline where Episode II started instead, and had Episode II be the transition of Anakin to the darkside, I believe it would have been a much better series. In summary, Jake Lloyd deserves to die, and I hope he burns in Hell.
Agreed. The Phantom Menace stuff could have been told in the crappy Cartoon Network show.
Old 02-14-08, 05:06 PM
Banned

Yes. You are the only one.
Old 02-14-08, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm sorta with you. I thought TPM was mostly crap, but there are some great sequences in there. Duel of the Fates comes to mind. I'm not really a big fan of the podrace scene. AOTC I liked. Sure, it's got some crap in there but for the most part I found it to be entertaining. Yoda's fight scene at the end kicked ass. Seriously, how long did we wait to see that? ROTS I really dug. There are definitely some cringe-worthy moments of "acting", but it's mainly a dark film with great battles. The prequels will never be considered as good as or better than the OT, but they at least got better with each installment.
The only cringe moment I can think of in RotS is the "you're so beautiful." "it's only because I'm so in love with you." Which really, I didn't mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.