Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies Ruined By Their Sequel (or Prequels)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
As much as I respect THE GODFATHER PART III, I do agree with your observations. At the end of II, he shuns Kay and restricts visitation with the kids due to her betrayal. Yet, at the beginning of III, we find he's entrusted her to raise them.

As another poster pointed out, yes, the film is about redemption and paying for one's sins. But the transition between the two sequels is a bit jarring and lessens the impact of II where Michael has become a hollow man.

I really despised the way the Connie character was given such a big role in the movie. I know that without the Tom Hagen character we needed someone else, but the whole matronly Black Widow act (as you so rightfully described) was a bit much.

That being said, I think that GODFATHER III is an excellent movie and a fitting conclusion to the Best American movie series ever made.
What do you think if they would have made Andy Garcia the son and that Mike couldn't control him instead of the wussy opera singer son?
Old 02-07-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
yes, see, now we're thinking .
"Men in Black 2" is the first, and biggest offender I can think of.

I'd rant about how the 2nd Austin Powers movie ruins the first, but I've ignored both sequels for years. Saw the 2nd, hated it and never bothered to see the 3rd.
Old 02-07-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know Spidey 3 has been mentioned already a couple of times, but I feel the need to stress it yet again. That wretched abortion was so bad, I have yet to watch either the first or second since, and I can't fathom when I will be ready to do so. The whole time I will just constantly be thinking about how terrible the third movie is and how not only did it squander the potential built up in 2, it decided a tangential jaunt into farce and camp was a better use of its already jamp-packed run time. Disgusting attempt at a movie.

-Doc
Old 02-07-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with what's been said about each film standing on it's own, but just to play along: Terminator 3. Mediocre film that opened the gate for more sequels.
Old 02-07-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair about 2010 and 2001, Clarke's novels were always more explicit about what was going on the movie. I read the book, hated what did it to the movie, and still don't like to think it exists..or 2010 for that matter.
Old 02-07-08, 04:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kurupt
I agree, for the most part, with the people saying that each movie stands on its own, but sometimes, just sometimes, this type of compartmentalization is impossible. It's kind of hard to take the scary Michael Myers of the original Halloween as seriously as I used to because, as hard as I try, I just can't wipe my mind of the same Myers character catching a karate kick in the chest from Busta Rhymes. It's kind of guilt-by-association.
Yeah, see this is the type of thing I was talking about with Nightmare on Elm Street. Once the character gets diluted in my mind, it unfortunately does have an effect on my viewing the original. While this isn't so much from a sequel but rather from a tie-in, it's hard for me to take Freddy Krueger as seriously as this horrible child murderer after seeing him dancing around with the Fat Boys in the horrible music video. Maybe not enough to necessarily 'ruin' it, but it does spoil the experience a little.
Old 02-07-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, Nightmare on Elm Street is a great example of not only a franchise being run into the ground, but taking away the power of the first one. Although in that case, it is not the intrinsic explanation (i.e. in movie explanation), but rather just the character becoming lame.

I literally could not sleep for a few days after watching the first one when I was a kid and it came on TV. When the sequels started coming out and became lamer and lamer, the scariness of the first one just kinda disappeared.

The last Nightmare did a good job of trying to salvage the series, but it still doesn't recoup the scariness of the first one.
Old 02-07-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by awil1026
I agree with what's been said about each film standing on it's own, but just to play along: Terminator 3. Mediocre film that opened the gate for more sequels.
See its weird here, but T3 didn't ruin the series for me. Maybe its because T1 and T2 are so James Cameron, and T3 doesn't have the feel of a Cameron movie, so it almost feels like good fan fiction.

Plus the ending of T3 has a very nice T1 type of ending, so I almost feel the end vibes with the first one.

Sure T3 is silly, but T2 started going that way anyway, so I don't hold it against it so much.
Old 03-05-08, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by matome
I wouldn't say that a crappy sequel has ever ruined my feelings toward the original, but The Cutting Edge 2, didn't do any favors for it, and I would imagine much less so for The Cutting Edge 3!
im gonna have to disagree with you there... i really liked The Cutting Edge 2 and am therefore pumped to see the 3rd on ABC Family next Sunday (not this coming one)... The original Cutting Edge is by far my favorite early 90's movie so the franchise can really do no wrong in my eyes..

I can think of a lot of sequels that i didnt like as much as the first but none that actually ruined the original..ill keep thinking though
Old 03-05-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition